Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda civic type r destroys the competition - The best engines

Old 22 October 2018, 06:12 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Honda civic type r destroys the competition - The best engines

Thought this was very interesting, Honda have gone to serious lengths to shed weight. Seems to have the RA beat as well which is surprising.

Old 22 October 2018, 07:09 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Watched this earlier today. Very interesting tech been built into this engine. Will be interesting to see how it handles further tuning, some forged internals as standard, as mentioned some lightened parts already used as standard. First question I would be interested to know the answer to is, was all this needed to get it to its current state of tune (ie is it already near its max capacity) or does this all aid to future proof it and does it still have plenty of tuning potential left. Either way as it is it’s a great engine, that requires minimal servicing!!!
Old 23 October 2018, 11:14 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice video, i recently picked one up in White for a good deal brand new, i was bored as hell of the 440i very dull cars, overall internally it has all the toys one would need, stereos a bit clunky but works well, handling is quite amazing to be honest very impressed. I did have the old EP5 many moons ago and i think im back where i should be now, i did test drive the RS but the ride was far too harse for me, and also Ford wanted massive deposits for PCP which i never do because i swap a lot.

so what im reading its pretty easy to get them to 380bhp with a map and a pipe change, after that ive seen one upgrade for 5k that takes it to near 500 but i aint seen or heard of anyone doing it yet.

Traction wise its very good with the new diff but i still spin in first 3 gears, so god knows what 380 would be like. only thing i miss is that old Vtech sound and surge, its kinda there now the surge when u hit 5800 but its damped down by the turbo at 3k ish

Last edited by Littleted; 23 October 2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 23 October 2018, 01:24 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Littleted,

thats really a very good all rounder by the sounds of it. There was disappointment from some when Honda said they were sticking to FWD and not considering going 4WD for the Civic. It appears in hindsight they were right, they mentioned all the obvious reasons like weight saving etc but clearly they have taken that philosophy and ran with it. Great results with some very good tuning potential!
Old 23 October 2018, 06:10 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Was one out on a test drive from a dealer near us left its guts and the contents of the sump all over the road. Police and road services out cleaning up the mess
Old 23 October 2018, 11:37 PM
Dan1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusti
Seems to have the RA beat as well which is surprising.
How is that surprising? The CTR is literally superior in every way from a performance standpoint.
Current STI is a shadow of its former self. It's way too heavy and underpowered to be competetive nowadays. I've driven the new CTR and it will blow the doors off of a current STI, be it forward or lateral acceleration.

Last edited by Dan1; 23 October 2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 24 October 2018, 06:39 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan1
How is that surprising? The CTR is literally superior in every way from a performance standpoint.
Current STI is a shadow of its former self. It's way too heavy and underpowered to be competetive nowadays. I've driven the new CTR and it will blow the doors off of a current STI, be it forward or lateral acceleration.
i totally agree, subaru didnt stay ahead of the game. the 2001 honda civic type r was 200bhp and the sti at the same time was 270-odd bhp..........fast forward it to 2018 and the new civic type r has gained 120bhp whilst the sti has gained a mere 25bhp.
its almost as if subaru have lost interest in trying to stay at the top, even the special editions now have the same bhp as the standard version unlike times of old where the special models (WR1) had more bhp.

Old 24 October 2018, 08:16 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
i totally agree, subaru didnt stay ahead of the game. the 2001 honda civic type r was 200bhp and the sti at the same time was 270-odd bhp..........fast forward it to 2018 and the new civic type r has gained 120bhp whilst the sti has gained a mere 25bhp.
its almost as if subaru have lost interest in trying to stay at the top, even the special editions now have the same bhp as the standard version unlike times of old where the special models (WR1) had more bhp.
Agree out of all the cars ive ever had the Civic and Subaru were my favorites, just wish they would still contend for it with a newer 400 450 bhp

I suppose in the end it maybe be down to costs in developing a rock solid engine Honda Merc etc may just have more money and resource, fingers crossed for the future
Old 24 October 2018, 08:57 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

You all seem to forget that all these cars need to meet certain ever increasingly tight emmissions standards and as has been seen over the past few years Subaru's boxer layout (which they aren't going to change) has gradually fallen foul of them when it comes to the high performance versions. There only way back is a hybrid package.
Old 24 October 2018, 11:48 AM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

I would quite happily have a boxer with an MGU-H