Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

VW Golf GTD DSG

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2017, 12:16 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Default VW Golf GTD DSG

As my 600hp Hawkeye has just grenaded itself I'm taking a step away from it and leaving it to rot in the garage for six months.

I've always had a run around but it really is just that a cheap POS to potter about in.

I'm now thinking of treating myself to my first brand new car. With VW's scrappage scheme being as good as it is I can get 4k for my 51 plate golf TDI 130 against a new car.

Anyway after some careful consideration I've narrowed it down to a Golf GTD. I test drove one with the DSG box today and I was quite taken with it. Another one Im considering is an Audi A3 TDI S Line black edition again with a DSG or as audi call them the S Tronic.

So does anyone have experience of either and what are your thoughts on the DSG boxes? Interested to know how you find them for daily use.

Although the wife has had a couple of Autos I've never had one of my own and I'm trying to convince myself to make the switch. I don't want to buy one and find out I don't like the bugger.

Cheers in advance

Daz

Last edited by dazdavies; 19 October 2017 at 12:18 AM.
Old 19 October 2017, 11:37 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Check which version DSG it is.

There are a number of versions but can be grouped into two types; one with wet plate clutches, the other group with dry plate clutches.

The latter tends to be fitted on lower output engines, the GTD "may" be fitted with the wet plate version..if so, this is good.

But it's worth investigating to make sure because I could be wrong. Have a google for "DSG clutch judder" and you'll see where I'm coming from. This will bring up results relating to the dry plate Clutch DSG boxes, and it's ongoing.
Old 19 October 2017, 11:51 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

DQ 200 - Dry clutch

**** box used in tiguan etc.

Most powerful setup was tht in BOC,Cupra ,PoloGti,Fabia VRS

DQ250 - Wet S3/Leon Cupra/Golf R

Good Box

DQ500 - RS3 Box Strongest also wet clutch
Old 19 October 2017, 07:01 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a stronic twin clutch in my Audi and honestly it's my first auto box and was like you, I've never liked auto boxes, but I'm taken by it, these modern autos are a leap forward in technology and for a daily I honestly would miss it, I'd never buy a manual daily ever again I've got used to it that much. I'm pushing 275hp out of mine and goes well with the box, but you get used to how far to put your foot in how many gears you want it to drop when over taking etc, full foot down drops 2-3 gears, half a foot drops about 1-2 etc.
It's not like a manual where you can get it to react quickly like out of junctions etc as there's a slight delay, so it's best to judge and get used to when you see a gap and your ready to pull out and put foot down like a second before you want car to go, it's all about getting used to it.
I'd never go back to a manual for a daily car, it's so relaxing to drive, unless I buy a Porsche for daily lol.
The BMW autos are great too.
Old 20 October 2017, 09:12 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
I have a stronic twin clutch in my Audi and honestly it's my first auto box and was like you, I've never liked auto boxes, but I'm taken by it, these modern autos are a leap forward in technology and for a daily I honestly would miss it, I'd never buy a manual daily ever again I've got used to it that much. I'm pushing 275hp out of mine and goes well with the box, but you get used to how far to put your foot in how many gears you want it to drop when over taking etc, full foot down drops 2-3 gears, half a foot drops about 1-2 etc.
It's not like a manual where you can get it to react quickly like out of junctions etc as there's a slight delay, so it's best to judge and get used to when you see a gap and your ready to pull out and put foot down like a second before you want car to go, it's all about getting used to it.
I'd never go back to a manual for a daily car, it's so relaxing to drive, unless I buy a Porsche for daily lol.
The BMW autos are great too.
Funnily enough I think I'm going to go for an Audi after seeing one yesterday. . A3 S-Line Black Edition 2.0L TFSI 190 with S Tronic Box. Going to go and do the deal tomorrow.
Old 20 October 2017, 07:07 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

If there's an offer on for a a4 get that instead, the Quattro is different apposed to the haldex, a4 has the proper 60/40 Torsen and different engine layout as apposed to longitude which has a better hp output stock in that engine, mine is 211hp stock 2.0tfsi sline Quattro and I'm sure it might be more now with the new Tweeks, the a3 is a transverse engine.
For a few more bucks may as well get a nice place to be in and practical for almost anything.
These 2 play a major difference in how it drives and handles.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 20 October 2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 20 October 2017, 08:08 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Don't forget, whatever vag tell you, it's a lie
Old 20 October 2017, 08:31 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Don't forget, whatever vag tell you, it's a lie
Have you found a main dealer what tells the truth ???
Old 21 October 2017, 04:24 AM
StrangelyBrown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alanbell
Have you found a main dealer what tells the truth ???
Have driven VW for nearly 18 years and have yet to find an honest dealership!
Old 21 October 2017, 09:20 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Enuff said
Old 21 October 2017, 11:48 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Seat Leon FR184 worth a look as well - very similar to Golf GTD and much cheaper - also available with DSG Box.
Old 23 October 2017, 02:18 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I used to have a MK5 Golf GT-Sport 170 TDI, and it was a very good car. Quick, while still remaining sporty for a Diesel.

I test drove a MK7 Golf GTI and a GTD back to back for a whole day. The GTD felt very soft in comparison to the GTI. The GTI had the better ride, and felt sporty from the off. The GTD would still make a great everyday car, and long commutes would be very comfortable indeed.

Unless you're doing huge miles a year, give the GTI a test drive, as it's by far the better car.
Old 23 October 2017, 05:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Maybe worth pointing out the GTD possibly has a beam axle on the back. GTi will definitely be independant.

This may scupper any future plan to swap GTi suspension on to it.
Old 23 October 2017, 10:48 PM
StrangelyBrown
Scooby Regular

No beam axel on the GTD
Old 27 October 2017, 10:19 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Ended up going for an A3 black edition 2.0L TFSI with the S Tronic box.

Picked it up last night.

Old 27 October 2017, 10:45 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lovely gate and stone pillar

Nice car too