Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Vauxhall Omega, X Reg (2001) shut down whilst driving at low speed - help!

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2017, 06:56 PM
cheekymonk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vauxhall Omega, X Reg (2001) shut down whilst driving at low speed - help!

Our beloved Vauxhall Omega Automatic completely shut down whilst driving yesterday. Immediately prior to the car losing all power, I noticed that a couple of lights came on (I'm sorry I'm simply not technical enough to know what those lights meant). As soon as I lost power, the steering wheel felt like it was almost locked because it became so hard to turn the wheel. Luckily, there was a large space on the pavement so I was able to pull in immediately on what is a busy main road.

Once I had put the gearbox into the 'park' position, I turned the ignition off and then on after waiting around 10 seconds. The car started fine and the two lights that had come on had disappeared. I was able to continue with the rest of my local journey.

We previously had a Vauxhall Astra which used to do the same thing which many people tried to fix but to no avail and I am afraid that it could be the same fault on this Omega. The thought of losing power at higher speeds could be disastrous.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with an Omega, another Vauxhall or any other vehicle? What was the fault prognosis? Can it be fixed or are we wasting our time with this one?

Your considered thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance. :-)

AC.
Old 05 June 2017, 07:05 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi, you realise this is Subaru forum that you have signed up for ?

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/
Old 25 June 2017, 10:51 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend has a Vauxhall Omega 2.2(?) petrol of a similar age that does the same thing. Sometimes at low revs it's cuts out. He has to turn the ignition off then back on and it's fine for a while. I don't think he'd found out what's wrong yet.
Old 16 July 2017, 10:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2.2 petrols were known for it, even featured on watch dog. 2ltr petrol shouldnt suffer from this