Evo 8 mr fq300

Old 25 June 2017, 05:02 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Is he selling the car or the engine ?
Be some dough to get yours up another 100 hp
That's what I was thinking, plus the stronger 5sp box and RS diff.
Old 25 June 2017, 06:58 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Any chance he'd take Urs as a px
Old 25 June 2017, 07:12 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Any chance he'd take Urs as a px

That was the plan, he was wanting 6k on top, maybe more.
Old 25 June 2017, 07:38 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

6k bargain get it bought
Old 25 June 2017, 09:00 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Mod for mod cars his is virtually a different species
Old 25 June 2017, 09:38 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Engine wise yes, transmission and drive yes.....but std brakes and coilovers that are not quite as good.

Is it overkill?

My 6sp box is going well and the ayc is unbelievable out of this world on the road. Mine ticks the boxes, a little understated in comparison but goes like a scalded cat.

Plus I've just spent a small fortune on mine getting it bang on.

The only thing I'd ever consider doing with mine is the RS diff and 5sp box but I'm probably better waiting until my 6sp box/ayc diff fails before going down that route.
Old 13 July 2017, 06:23 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

I was up @ Knockhill on Sunday there with the car on the MLR stand, only 10 of us a few Evo's on the ClanJapan stand though but the amount of Scoobies was ridiculous. Some really good motors.

It comes over the tannoy @ 10:30am that there will be drag racing during the lunch hour so get yourself to the marshalls hut for signing on @ 11:30am

I couldn't resist, I'm not a fan of launching the Evo because the last thing I want to do I see break it but what the hell.

I was the only Evo 9 Impreza's and then me.......better not let the side down then haha.

First up was a white jdm sti, I made an **** of my launch, bogged down but I had enough power to reel him in quickly for the win.

Second up was a Catalunya, this time my launch was even worse, but thankfully I still managed to reel the Catalunya in and take the win.....just!

The semi was against a WR1 and this was my worst launch yet, I lost too much distance on him from the start and couldn't make up the deficit in time. I was gaining quickly but he took it by less than a car length.

Good laugh but I couldn't understand what I was doing wrong, then it dawned on me. I was dumping the clutch too quickly, I had launched the Evo once before ages ago and it was a good launch. Remembering back I slipped the clutch more but when I had the STI hatch you could dump the clutch quickly and that thing would hook like buggery.

So I had to go out for a wee practise

I think the WR1 would have been royally smoked too little too late.....next time

Last edited by Wull; 13 July 2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 20 July 2017, 10:10 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Need to see out the windscreen!lol
Old 21 July 2017, 09:10 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Mine will probably running next month so maybe catch up at some MLR event?
Old 21 July 2017, 09:55 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Mine will probably running next month so maybe catch up at some MLR event?

Where you from? Not much seems to happen up this way with MLR, only 10 cars on the stand @ Knockhill, most Evo's seem to go with the Clan Japan stand.
Old 22 July 2017, 04:08 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Newcastle
Old 30 July 2017, 07:41 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Testing out the new camera that I've had for over a year now and only started using.

Car is still running sweet, the newly replaced ayc pump seems to be leaking though but it has a 12mnth warranty so not to worry. Just the hassle and inconvenience of having to deal with it. It's a very slow leak at the moment.
Old 30 July 2017, 08:07 AM
PT82
Scooby Regular

You forget how stunning Mexico is this time of year lol
No offence but I would place the mic somewhere else.

Last edited by PT82; 30 July 2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 30 July 2017, 08:43 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PT82
You forget how stunning Mexico is this time of year lol
No offence but I would place the mic somewhere else.
The external mic isn't fitted l, I do have one though but when I get the chance I'll have a play with it to see what results I can get. I thought it sounded ok!

Not as hot as it usually is this time of year in Mexico but it's ok
Old 14 August 2017, 09:05 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

As much as I love this Evo, there's possibly a deal on the table for a single turbo Supra that's running the manual transmission.

My heart says "go for it" but my head says keep the Evo.

I've always wanted a Supra and the spec I wanted was big single turbo with manual transmission. I also feel with the prices it would be a sensible choice regarding investment, with that being said I feel the Evo won't lose too much as the years go on. Unlike the Impreza where every man and their dug has one. I hardly see Evo's around my way which is a good thing, one of the reasons I went for it.

The spec on the Supra is decent, fully forged as well which a lot aren't due to the strong engine, a lot are pushing 700bhp on the stock internals.

A lot of thinking to do over the next few days, if I don't go for this then I'll be keeping the Evo for a long time, staying off eBay and other forums and selling platforms removing all temptation.
Old 14 August 2017, 09:42 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

keep the evo.
Old 14 August 2017, 11:54 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
keep the evo.

I just can't decide. One minute I convince myself to keep the Evo and forget the idea of having the Supra but then I see it, hear it and want it badly. Even the missus ain't too bothered even though she's finally came round to the Evo. We've been away in it a few times now which at the beginning was a no no.

We'll see, I'm still undecided but once I know for sure I'm sticking with it.
Old 14 August 2017, 12:21 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Keep the evo
Old 14 August 2017, 12:22 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

lol. If your Mrs doesn't like the 4WD Evo, she certainly won't like the RWD Supra.

I used to have a very fast RX7 when I first met my wife. The one time I took her out for a drive in it she was actually lost for words. That's a 1st!
Old 14 August 2017, 01:16 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wull
I just can't decide. One minute I convince myself to keep the Evo and forget the idea of having the Supra but then I see it, hear it and want it badly. Even the missus ain't too bothered even though she's finally came round to the Evo. We've been away in it a few times now which at the beginning was a no no.

We'll see, I'm still undecided but once I know for sure I'm sticking with it.

Not meaning to sound rude, but did you replace the passenger seat or she happy sat in the back for a long distance?

Supra's do have more spacious seats, however I'd stick with the Evo or bounce back to your routes
Old 14 August 2017, 02:11 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Nah she sits in the back with Ruby whilst James sits in the front.

It's a weekend car so essentially it doesn't matter whether she likes it or not and we've got her car to use for going away if she doesn't like it.
Old 14 August 2017, 06:26 PM
lewis87
Scooby Regular

Go for the supra, worth it alone for that 2JZ howl
Old 08 October 2017, 07:16 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Well I never went for the Supra, I decided against it.

I've been enjoying the Evo, I've done a fair few miles since owning it and enjoy keeping her sweet, mostbweekends we're away for a drive, the whole family, whether it's just a road trip or away to Knockhill for a show.

I've had a few issues though but the worst happened yesterday. We're away to Skye tomorrow for the week so I took the Evo out for a quick blast before washing her and that's when the issue happened.

I was overtaking a car, full beans in 3rd change to 4th back on the throttle still full beans then bang, no boost!!!

My initial thought was "****ED ENGINE".....but whilst coasting I quickly glanced at all gauges and all readings were good, oil pressure good, oil temp good, no engine management lights on the dash and the water temp was spot on.

I then noticed negative vacuum as normal and when I depressed the throttle I was getting 0 on the boost gauge and greddy controller and nothing more. I've quickly scanned over the boost pipes from above and can't see anything untoward but I'm hoping it's something that simple. Worst case scenario is a gubbed turbo

I'm fairly confident it's an issue with the boost pipes, in my mind it was a noise that I can only compare to a rapid loss of air, it was making full boost then it was gone.......I've never experienced that before.

Fingers crossed

I've recently purchased a std set of seats, the missus can't get in the Corbeau bucket seats and gets a bit sick sitting in the back, so the plan is to fit the passenger seat and then use that bucket seat in my bugeye track car. She can then sit in the front and experience "warp factor speed **** me" from the front.

I'll throw up some pics later on today, I'll double check mileage but I reckon I've done 5k since owning the car which is good I reckon, plenty £££'s on fuel but well worth it, I'm usually getting between 18-21mpg, plenty fun blowing away other cars that dare try it, good laugh with an R32 gtr which I blew away, turned out it was running 500+, doing well over the speed limit when a traffic cop coming the other way put the lights on so I high tailed it and hid I thought they were going to turn round and chase me but I think the lights was just to say "slow down ya daft ****".....

Here's to many more trouble free() miles
Old 08 October 2017, 07:54 AM
seanvx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a boost pipe blowing of I used to get that a lot in my old car , then I was recommend these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Mu...BSpyN830k_07Rg
Old 08 October 2017, 10:14 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Definitely sounds like a boost pipe has slipped off, or split. You'll find it mate.

Good luck.
Old 08 October 2017, 11:49 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by seanvx
Sounds like a boost pipe blowing of I used to get that a lot in my old car , then I was recommend these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Mu...BSpyN830k_07Rg

Yep, these are well worth it.

On my car's Hyperflow FMIC setup, the silicone attached directly to the compressor outlet spout would soon get forced off under full boost - or eventually ease off over time. So I sacked off the regular jubilee for a MCT clip, and has been perfect ever since - the silicone hasn't slipped along the spout one iota.

Last edited by joz8968; 08 October 2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08 October 2017, 10:48 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Had a closer look today, I couldn't see it visually but put my hand up behind the bumper and the hose has came away where the pipe work from the turbo outlet meets the fmic, I'll put it back on once I'm back from holiday and then order up a clip, I think the size will be roughly 3.5" but I'll measure it up first.
Old 09 October 2017, 08:18 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

I had another play with the VBOX Sport the other week, I did manage a 0-60 time of 3.6s and I think I've done a 7.9s 60-120.

I absolutely love this motor, regardless of any issues which to be fair haven't been that bad. For the road it's an absolute weapon, perfect blend of power and handling. The ayc is just ridiculous, i honestly can't imagine anything that's faster on the road. Any more power and it would be too much, if I'm being honest on really tight roads, which is rare it's maybe a tad too much. But for 99% of the roads it's perfect.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	71151   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0393.JPG
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	71152   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0392.JPG
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	71153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0422.JPG
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	71154  
Old 11 October 2017, 12:10 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wull
...the hose has came away where the pipe work from the turbo outlet meets the fmic...

Originally Posted by joz8968
On my car's Hyperflow FMIC setup, the silicone attached directly to the compressor outlet spout would soon get forced off under full boost...

Yep, anywhere 'twixt the turbo outlet to IC inlet tract - i.e. the 'hot' side - is the 'vulnerable to blowing off' lol area.

Glad it was as simple as a loose hose (as we all expected it was).

Last edited by joz8968; 11 October 2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07 December 2017, 05:09 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

It’s been a while since I’ve updated this but not much has been happening, I managed to source a garage for the winter which I touched upon on another thread. I decided to go with it and it was a nightmare getting the car in there.

The drive was a bit steeper than originally thought but with using the loading ramps from the car trailer we managed to get in there. Hooked up the C-tek 5.0 trickle charger today so no worrying about the battery going flat, according to the comfort indicator the battery was needing charged. I’d usually start the car every week and go for a short run at least and he last few weeks before putting the car away in the garage i noticed it was getting harder to start, it was only a matter of time before it wouldn’t start.

Private plate is on now, that was a long wait as the plate never existed but after having it made available I had to then win it at auction which thankfully I did. I was the only bidder which I expected, means nothing to anyone else.

A few issues to deal with, I want to fit 3mm lash adjusters to get rid of the common “tappet noise”, ayc pump is leaking albeit a very slow leak. It’s under warranty so I’ll get that sorted. Last issue is the front brakes, I believe there is a build up of pad material from the ds2500 which is causing a judder at higher speeds, I want to try XP’s to see if that helps first as discs are roughly £700.

Other than that all is good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	B5111FDA-E21F-4EC0-B397-87A7C744EFF0.jpeg
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	71330   Click image for larger version

Name:	5A058171-4EE9-42B1-B95E-D255DA908E74.jpeg
Size:	4.21 MB
ID:	71331   Click image for larger version

Name:	FA171CBE-9AAA-4463-8C71-2554ED9FB9C9.jpeg