Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Evo 8 mr fq300

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2017, 10:44 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks good.

You seem quite relaxed about the ayc failing, think I’d be a little pissed!

I recognise that hotel, think I’ve been around that area before, Perth?
Old 09 December 2017, 11:00 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Looks good.

You seem quite relaxed about the ayc failing, think I’d be a little pissed!

I recognise that hotel, think I’ve been around that area before, Perth?
Killin.

After the original ayc pump failing due to pressure issues I purchased a refurbished one which was quite costly. After only 1 week I noticed it was leaking and it looks as if it’s from the pump body itself and not the connections. It’s difficult to tell exactly where from because of the pump cover.

It’s a very slow leak and the pump itself works perfectly well. The pump has a 12 month warranty and the seller is fully aware of the leak from day 1. It’s just a case of finding the time to remove it and send it down to him.

It has stressed me out at times though, plus the worrying of whether he tries to suggest it was due to the fitting of the pump that has caused it.
Old 15 April 2018, 07:54 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

For the first time since owning the Evo the ******* has let me down. It won’t start.

I’m 100% sure it’s the starter and because of where it’s parked I can’t bump start, I’m fairly certain it’s in the huff because of bringing the S1K home, jealous little bitch.

I charged the battery up just to rule that out but I was already sure it was the starter. It sounds as if it’s not properly engaging and spinning freely, it doesn’t sound how it should usually sound.

I’ll inspect it today and remove for bench testing etc, then order a replacement.
Old 15 April 2018, 08:03 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I assume you're defo getting power to the starter solenoid? Can you hear it click when you turn the key?

If so...

With the engine off, put it into 2nd gear. Release the handbrake. Hold onto the driver-side A-pillar (and B-pillar if it helps), and rock the car back and forth. You'll need to start slowly to get the momentum going, but then it's easy to do.

If it was just sticking ring gear, then the rocking should have freed it up. It should start.
Old 15 April 2018, 09:40 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wull
Killin.

After the original ayc pump failing due to pressure issues I purchased a refurbished one which was quite costly. After only 1 week I noticed it was leaking and it looks as if it’s from the pump body itself and not the connections. It’s difficult to tell exactly where from because of the pump cover.

It’s a very slow leak and the pump itself works perfectly well. The pump has a 12 month warranty and the seller is fully aware of the leak from day 1. It’s just a case of finding the time to remove it and send it down to him.

It has stressed me out at times though, plus the worrying of whether he tries to suggest it was due to the fitting of the pump that has caused it.
Originally Posted by joz8968
I assume you're defo getting power to the starter solenoid? Can you hear it click when you turn the key?

If so...

With the engine off, put it into 2nd gear. Release the handbrake. Hold onto the driver-side A-pillar (and B-pillar if it helps), and rock the car back and forth. You'll need to start slowly to get the momentum going, but then it's easy to do.

If it was just sticking ring gear, then the rocking should have freed it up. It should start.
Old 15 April 2018, 11:02 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Brakes are slightly sticking so can’t rock it.

I’ve removed the starter and tested it and it’s fine, I’m going to double check the wiring and test for power, I would have already done that but the multimeter battery has died.

I checked the teeth on the flywheel and they look good. I also checked the timing belt etc and that all looks good.

Then I’m going to stick it back on just in case it’s freed off and working now.

If it still doesn’t work I’ll get the 4x4 and move the car, then once I know for sure it’s the starter I’ll replace.
Old 16 April 2018, 11:53 AM
Alyn T
Scooby Newbie

I'll have to start hanging about in Killin to catch a glimpse of this! Don't worry I appreciate all motors lol.

Did I see your track car is up for sale?
Old 16 April 2018, 05:21 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alyn T
I'll have to start hanging about in Killin to catch a glimpse of this! Don't worry I appreciate all motors lol.

Did I see your track car is up for sale?

It is, along with the trailer.

I’ve ordered the starter for the Evo, collecting tomorrow.
Old 17 April 2018, 09:17 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its quite interesting watching your videos actually ,the evo has much less lag between gearchanges than my similar powered newage- certainly helps not having 10 feet of exhaust header to travel round first.
Old 18 April 2018, 07:39 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madwrx
its quite interesting watching your videos actually ,the evo has much less lag between gearchanges than my similar powered newage- certainly helps not having 10 feet of exhaust header to travel round first.

The ND5.5 turbo kit is very good, ideal for power without losing too much on pick up.

I went all the way to Stirling yesterday and they had ordered in the wrong starter, 75 mile round trip for nothing, and the correct one is even more expensive, double kick to the baws

Back again today to collect the correct one.
Old 19 April 2018, 08:10 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

How much is the starter?
Old 20 April 2018, 08:54 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
How much is the starter?

£156 with a surcharge for the old unit.