E92 m3 warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2017, 11:09 AM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E92 m3 warranty

Hi all

I've always had an itch to get an e92 m3 convertible as I always wanted one for summer. However with these cars, would you only get one if warranty was provided by a good reputable dealer just incase something major goes wrong.

Other than that I would like an evo or JDM hatch but those cars are much harder to find.
Old 06 February 2017, 01:28 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

If warranty wasn't available you can purchase a warranty, it might seem expensive but I'm sure it's more than worth it if anything goes wrong. Most dealers will offer a good warranty but if bought private that might not be available.
Old 06 February 2017, 01:33 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Prepare for big bills, if you think a scoob is expensive to run your gonna faint when you run an M3.
Old 06 February 2017, 04:20 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by On-the-bog
Prepare for big bills, if you think a scoob is expensive to run your gonna faint when you run an M3.

That's what put me off buying one, I was also considering either a RS4 or RS6 but some horror stories along with astronomical bills made me go elsewhere.

What I will say though is most have been well looked after, with most issues being dealt with. I may buy one in the future.
Old 06 February 2017, 04:43 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wull
That's what put me off buying one, I was also considering either a RS4 or RS6 but some horror stories along with astronomical bills made me go elsewhere.

What I will say though is most have been well looked after, with most issues being dealt with. I may buy one in the future.
major service is enough to make you cry (£1500), if you get one that is reliable there not too bad, but parts can get mega expensive. E46 is more my area of knowledge, i've had a few. Have to watch out for floor cracks (£2k repair), SMG pump failure (£1000 minimum) etc etc

Beyond that there just typical performance car to be fair. Just parts tend to be pricey
Old 06 February 2017, 04:50 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All BMW's are expensive, I've always fancied one due to the rear wheel drive... but having watched friends that have owned them over the years shell out a small fortune on them I decided best not to and that started way back when I was a wee nipper and my Aunts boyfriend drove me to skegness in his 2002, he was forever doing something on it.
Old 06 February 2017, 04:59 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

The E46 is beautiful, plenty power, fun and class but I asked the missus the other night which she'd rather be in whilst rocking up to a fancy restaurant for dinner.......an E92 M3 or the hatch STI that I'm picking up on Wednesday.....she chose the Subaru. She's a strange one, but who am I to complain.
Old 06 February 2017, 05:06 PM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

The E46 is beautiful, plenty power, fun and class but I asked the missus the other night which she'd rather be in whilst rocking up to a fancy restaurant for dinner.......an E92 M3 or the hatch STI that I'm picking up on Wednesday.....she chose the Subaru. She's a strange one, but who am I to complain.

Your missus is a one on a million if she picked the Subaru, most birds would have went for the BMW !!!!
Old 06 February 2017, 05:08 PM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

It's the rod bearing issues that are scaring me a bit, im not too fused about the services costs but if things start go wrong with the engine, im guessing that's probs gonna be a 10k + fix.

I have also considered getting a e92 335i cab facelift manual but they are bluddy hard to find, spent whole of last summer looking for one in white.

There is just more m3's about.

E46 M3 has become rare now and going for silly money.
Old 06 February 2017, 08:06 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Not a fan of German cars. Find them well overpriced and nothing special to look at. Except a gt3 Porsche obviously
Old 06 February 2017, 09:00 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Are you on m3cutters???

That's a decent forum and there's always well cherished motors for sale. Most are for sale due to upgrades which is reassuring and most have a few £££'s so their cars have been well looked after.
Old 07 February 2017, 12:04 PM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

Are you on m3cutters???

That's a decent forum and there's always well cherished motors for sale. Most are for sale due to upgrades which is reassuring and most have a few £££'s so their cars have been well looked after.

Not on M3 Cutters but well aware of the forum. It comes up on my google searches.
Old 07 February 2017, 12:21 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

I picked up an E90 M3 LCI - 58k on the clock

In a couple of weeks ownership i had the throttle actuator go, this seems to be a common problem, try and get a car with it done otherwise its a £1,300 bill per unit (i had 3rd party warranty on my car)

Otherwise as long as they warmed up properly they are pretty solid cars, some scare mongering on tight bearings

The V8 is sublime, so smooth, 8.4k redline is fun, lacks torque however
Old 07 February 2017, 12:22 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

stay tuned to the end for my drift fail ha
Old 07 February 2017, 12:30 PM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy
I picked up an E90 M3 LCI - 58k on the clock

In a couple of weeks ownership i had the throttle actuator go, this seems to be a common problem, try and get a car with it done otherwise its a £1,300 bill per unit (i had 3rd party warranty on my car)

Otherwise as long as they warmed up properly they are pretty solid cars, some scare mongering on tight bearings

The V8 is sublime, so smooth, 8.4k redline is fun, lacks torque however

How do you find the noise, do you have standard exhaust of after market.

I test drove one last year, I didn't find the power delivery thrilling to be honest but just felt like a real nice place to be in. Also felt like they defo need an exhaust mod.
Old 07 February 2017, 01:00 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby k
How do you find the noise, do you have standard exhaust of after market.

I test drove one last year, I didn't find the power delivery thrilling to be honest but just felt like a real nice place to be in. Also felt like they defo need an exhaust mod.
you really need to rev the car to get a sense of occasion, but when you wind it up it really is fun to maneuver around in. Otherwise they well specced with toys, hold the road well and feels so well balanced even on and through the limits.

My car is totally stock, my other motor is a tuned R35 which is probably too loud so not in rush to get more noise out of the M3. That being said i'm thinking about a primary cat delete and map just for a bit more performance and audio track. Other people are cutting open the back back and wrapping the perforated pipe with good sound results all be it no power increase.

One thing i will be spending money on is the brakes though!
Old 07 February 2017, 02:36 PM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy
you really need to rev the car to get a sense of occasion, but when you wind it up it really is fun to maneuver around in. Otherwise they well specced with toys, hold the road well and feels so well balanced even on and through the limits.

My car is totally stock, my other motor is a tuned R35 which is probably too loud so not in rush to get more noise out of the M3. That being said i'm thinking about a primary cat delete and map just for a bit more performance and audio track. Other people are cutting open the back back and wrapping the perforated pipe with good sound results all be it no power increase.

One thing i will be spending money on is the brakes though!

OMG you got a GTR aswell, got to ask but how would you compare them both. Would you say the running costs a similar however with the GTR I know you have to get them serviced yearly.
Old 08 February 2017, 03:04 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby k
OMG you got a GTR aswell, got to ask but how would you compare them both. Would you say the running costs a similar however with the GTR I know you have to get them serviced yearly.
chalk and cheese, my gtr is 900bhp++ 700ftlbs+, the M3 is my daily driver! Only had the M3 3 months (6 weeks of which was in limp mode with actuator problem) but in that time I've killed a fresh set of rear tyres! The MDCT gearbox feels "better" to live with than the GR6 on road, although GR6 is superior spec. two totally different driving experiences, but if I could only drive one it would be gtr every time