Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Porsche dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2016, 09:39 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche dilemma

Hi, In the coming months (all being well) I should be in a position to change my 2yr old M4 and I'm hoping to go for a 'Porsche'. Final budget will narrow things down but at the moment the dream is fairly wide band in terms of choice..
I'm thinking either a 997.2 Turbo or 997.1 GT3. I've driven both and am aware of the differences but I can't help notice that for a little more money I could be in reach of a 991 GTS or a Cayman GT4. Forget practicalities and comfort for now as whatever I end up with (if any) will not be a vehicle I intend to commute in, although I would intend to use it and not tuck it away for sunny weekends.

Positives
997.2 Turbo - all weather supercar, 2+2 (albeit small back seats), fast, handling etc, value.
997.1 GT3 - handling, noise, image, raw, one of the ultimate drivers cars, rare, value.
991 GTS - Modern, manufacturers warranty, latest tech
Cayman GT4 - One of the world's best drivers cars. Modern, latest tech, balance, handling etc.

Negatives
997.2 - Age. Will expensive things start going wrong soon? I would only go for low mileage but there's still perishable materials, large 'time related' service bills etc
997.1 GT3 - Age! As above. Will the rawness bother me after a bit? I did have an Impreza Type R years ago, loved the rawness and drove it every day
991 GTS - I've not test drove one. I have driven a 991 Carrera S and it didn't really excite me. Steering a little dull, lack of torque (spoilt by M4 torque) but I would need to recalibrate and rev rev rev!! I realise GTS has a bit more power and sharper set up.. Would I regret not going for older Turbo or GT3 over time?
Cayman GT4 - I've not test drove one. Price has gone up by 50% since launch, hence dealing with the profit others have made. Would I regret not getting a 911?

Any views or experiences would be welcomed

Thanks

Nick

Last edited by skoobidude; 08 December 2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09 December 2016, 10:33 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

my one observation would be that in a Cayman, potentially you would always be thinking (and thinking that other people were thinking) - meh not a 911 is it

lol, wrote the above before seeing your final Cayman comment

whatever you get, it is going to be a great car, so test drive them all and buy what YOU think drives best

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 09 December 2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10 December 2016, 02:07 AM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Not a bad dilemma to have to be fair....!
Old 10 December 2016, 03:35 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Buy a Ferrari
Old 10 December 2016, 06:56 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As it's your first time dipping a toe into Porsche water so to speak, I'd opt for brand new, then you have a warranty so if anything should go wrong with it you're covered, keep it for a couple of years, learn about the marque, discover your likes and dislikes, then you're in a better position to move forward and it won't sour the experience for you.

GT4 is a hell of a car, so I wouldn't worry what other people think re the 911 thing as there's plenty of time to get one in the future, if you decide to go down that route.
Old 10 December 2016, 08:45 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Cayman is the car you would lose least money on, like a modern mini gt3,
id want to fit the short ratios to it tho. supposedly one of the best cars of the year.

Turbo is prob the fastest point to point and the car for everyday, but will depreciate

Gt3 is for the purist more about the feel than outright numbers 2nd to the cayman as far as holding its value goes needs driven hard to get the most from it.

991 GTS wouldn't be for me as it lost the Metzger flat six and most likely be the car to lose you the most money over time.

Of course nobody has to agree it's just my opinion.
Old 10 December 2016, 09:23 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100% go for the GT4. Money in the bank, you'll not loose a penny on it in the long term.

I'm lucky enough to of detailed 3 GT4s along with numerous 991 GTS's and the GT4 is so much more focused looking, like a mini GT3 RS. Being mid engined they reputably handle better then a 911 too. I've only ever moved them about in and out of the unit so can't comment on that.

It's top of my list of cars I will own one day.
Old 10 December 2016, 10:38 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

My guess is that the majority of people on SNet who pass opinions on Porsches have never owned one or maybe even driven one. For me the image value of the 911 tends considerably to outweigh any supposed performance advantages the other models may have.
Having owned two, a Carrera 3.8 and a 996 Turbo (the latter much missed) I would say that at least half the pleasure of ownership is walking up to your 911, declaring ownership by blipping the security, climbing in (as nonchalantly as possible) and firing up that boxer engine. Shallow as hell? Absolutely!
Old 10 December 2016, 10:49 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Peben , aernt yo going back to school shortly

how do you manage it ?
Old 10 December 2016, 11:05 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb

how do you manage it ?

Manage what exactly? And as far as going back to school is concerned perhaps you should come with me and learn to spell!
Old 10 December 2016, 11:17 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I suppose you must be top flight student
Old 10 December 2016, 11:21 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"How do you solve a problem like Ferdinand?"

Last edited by joz8968; 10 December 2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10 December 2016, 02:05 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
Having owned two, a Carrera 3.8 and a 996 Turbo (the latter much missed) I would say that at least half the pleasure of ownership is walking up to your 911
Originally Posted by dpb

how do you manage it ?
Uh oh, you've gone and done it now, Paben. After reading that comment, poor dpb will be green with envy. From now on expect him to stalk you anywhere you go on snet, making largely non-sensical sarcastic comments in response to anything you post.

Speaking from experience, the best way to deal with his passive aggression is to remind him he drives a Citroen Xsara.
Old 10 December 2016, 02:24 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy
Uh oh, you've gone and done it now, Paben. After reading that comment, poor dpb will be green with envy. From now on expect him to stalk you anywhere you go on snet, making largely non-sensical sarcastic comments in response to anything you post.

Speaking from experience, the best way to deal with his passive aggression is to remind him he drives a Citroen Xsara.

Oh well I'm doomed then, and I don't even own those cars any more. But I do own a blue and white Bell 206 Jet Ranger helicopter!
In fact I may have made that up; but I'll just go and see if one's parked on my back lawn.
Old 10 December 2016, 02:27 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

haha

I was just curious that's all , I know theyre just posh beetles underneath but a turbo example isn't exactly cheap

Last edited by dpb; 10 December 2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10 December 2016, 02:56 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

For a weekend car only, I'd go GT3. The only thing that puts me off the GT4 is the high gearing. 80mph in second gear.

The Turbo is the easy option, as it's the fastest in a straight line. It'd do the same numbers in the wet. It'll be the easiest to live with, and the most civilised, and you can take it most places you probably wouldn't want to take a GT3 or GT4.

For me, I'd pick the 997 Turbo (manual) as I'd be able to use it more of the time. But the lure of a GT3 may be hard to resist.
Old 10 December 2016, 04:31 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
haha

I was just curious that's all , I know theyre just posh beetles underneath but a turbo example isn't exactly cheap

Well you'd be wrong on that. When I bought my 996 Turbo it was already 10 years old and cost less to buy than a new and fairly basic Golf Gti. It was a great car and surprisingly inexpensive to run. I regretted its sale as I handed over the keys. I would have another at the drop of a hat, except the price for that same car has shot past the £40k mark. That's too expensive for a school boy!
Old 10 December 2016, 04:52 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paben
Well you'd be wrong on that. When I bought my 996 Turbo it was already 10 years old and cost less to buy than a new and fairly basic Golf Gti. It was a great car and surprisingly inexpensive to run. I regretted its sale as I handed over the keys. I would have another at the drop of a hat, except the price for that same car has shot past the £40k mark. That's too expensive for a school boy!
Porsche turbos were quite cheap at one point a mate bought a slightly tatty one for £10k maybe 15yrs ago. I once fitted an alarm on a white 3.2 air cooled RS (don't know the numbers) belonged to a young lad out in Newark, his Mrs was making him sell it for £15k that must be 15/18yrs ago, I bet he still regrets it.
Old 10 December 2016, 06:53 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Have to say, as a 911-owner (granted, a 996), if you're going for a weekend toy, the GT3 (or GT4).....
The 997 turbo is devastatingly quick. And super easy to drive. BUT, it's a GT car and some would argue that it's a little bit "boring".
Would I have on? In a heartbeat, but I use my 996 as a daily driver on some of the best (and empty) roads in the UK.

Oh, and whilst there are rear seats, that's a generous/optimistic description Mine get used for rucksack and kids bags for the college. NO rear passengers now.

But if I was in your boots, I'd be looking at GT3 or something a little bit "more" special.

GT4 is great BUT it is simply not a 911. And if that's a scratch you have to itch, well, nothing else will do.

Running costs aren't that bad, but there's the usual things like suspension, brakes, tyres, clutch etc - there's a lot of due-diligence when looking at these.

Hope this helps in some way

DAn

edited to add: the 991 GTS would be in the same "day-to-day" league as the Turbo... just slower

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 10 December 2016 at 06:56 PM. Reason: to add about the GTS
Old 12 December 2016, 11:46 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

A nice dilemma to be in I think I would go for the 997 turbo as I think that would be the better investment and easily tweaked
Old 12 December 2016, 03:02 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoobidude
Hi, In the coming months (all being well) I should be in a position to change my 2yr old M4 and I'm hoping to go for a 'Porsche'. Final budget will narrow things down but at the moment the dream is fairly wide band in terms of choice..
I'm thinking either a 997.2 Turbo or 997.1 GT3. I've driven both and am aware of the differences but I can't help notice that for a little more money I could be in reach of a 991 GTS or a Cayman GT4. Forget practicalities and comfort for now as whatever I end up with (if any) will not be a vehicle I intend to commute in, although I would intend to use it and not tuck it away for sunny weekends.

Positives
997.2 Turbo - all weather supercar, 2+2 (albeit small back seats), fast, handling etc, value.
997.1 GT3 - handling, noise, image, raw, one of the ultimate drivers cars, rare, value.
Cayman GT4 - One of the world's best drivers cars. Modern, latest tech, balance, handling etc.

Negatives
997.2 - Age. Will expensive things start going wrong soon? I would only go for low mileage but there's still perishable materials, large 'time related' service bills etc
997.1 GT3 - Age! As above. Will the rawness bother me after a bit? I did have an Impreza Type R years ago, loved the rawness and drove it every day
991 GTS - I've not test drove one. I have driven a 991 Carrera S and it didn't really excite me. Steering a little dull, lack of torque (spoilt by M4 torque) but I would need to recalibrate and rev rev rev!! I realise GTS has a bit more power and sharper set up.. Would I regret not going for older Turbo or GT3 over time?
Cayman GT4 - I've not test drove one. Price has gone up by 50% since launch, hence dealing with the profit others have made. Would I regret not getting a 911?

Thanks

Nick
Don't be so quick to knock the 991 GTS

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/road/t...rsche-991-gts/
Old 15 December 2016, 06:14 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

997 Turbo S forget the others
Old 17 December 2016, 05:31 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Positives

Negatives

Thanks

Nick

Nick

GT4 is a lovely looking machine but I just hate the idea of paying somebody else more than the car cost them!

991 S is a nice machine but lacks some poke if you ask me. Feels like it has less go than a M3/M4 or C class AMG

The 997 turbo is a bit numb, the 991 turbo is much better. Is that out of budget?
Old 18 December 2016, 02:19 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the comments guys, I appreciate it.

I really need to drive them all (and those I've driven already I intend to drive again as it was so long ago). Don't knock the 997 Turbo, I've driven a 997.1 tiptronic and that was a bit of a disappointment. However, I've also driven a 997.2 PDK and that was amazing. Handling was so sharp and the steering was alive! Incredible machine and so different to the '.1'.
I know peeps go on about manuals but I'd probably have either transmission in the Turbo as long as it was in the '.2' (PDK rather than tiptronic) version. Once you narrow searches down to low mileages, colour preferences etc there is little choice and most manuals seem to be sold quickly.

The 997.1 GT3 was the best car I have ever driven and I need to try one again to see if I can really live with it. Obviously clubsport/comfort pack (seats, cage etc) is another dilemma. Zzzzz.
Most of the 911s I have driven belonged to one guy and he now has a 991 GT3. I drove that back in the summer and the noise at 9000RPM was incredible. Sadly way out of my budget.

I really love the alcantera interiors of the GTS and the centre lock wheels. I know I know but I have a lot of boxes to tick and there is something about them.

RE the 991 Turbo yes I have noticed prices are dipping below £100k. An old friend has a 2yr old one and it's brutal.
Once I am sorted in new year with job etc then I will have a much clearer view on budget so I can discount some of the choices.

In terms of future, I am not really intending to go up the Porsche ladder as other financial priorities will come along so for now whatever I choose will probably be the one and only Porsche I get to own.

I just need to go and drive them all, think about whether I will need a daily, occasional or special and hopefully with a bit of help from friends who have owned them it shouldn't be too difficult.

Nick

Last edited by skoobidude; 18 December 2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 18 December 2016, 03:08 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I just need to go and drive them all, think about whether I will need a daily, occasional or special and hopefully with a bit of help from friends who have owned them it shouldn't be too difficult.

Nick
isn't, that the beauty of the Porsche proposition - buy well, and with a little compromise you can tick pretty much all boxes in one
Old 19 December 2016, 06:57 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the comments guys, I appreciate it.

I really need to drive them all (and those I've driven already I intend to drive again as it was so long ago). Don't knock the 997 Turbo, I've driven a 997.1 tiptronic and that was a bit of a disappointment. However, I've also driven a 997.2 PDK and that was amazing. Handling was so sharp and the steering was alive! Incredible machine and so different to the '.1'.
I know peeps go on about manuals but I'd probably have either transmission in the Turbo as long as it was in the '.2' (PDK rather than tiptronic) version. Once you narrow searches down to low mileages, colour preferences etc there is little choice and most manuals seem to be sold quickly.

The 997.1 GT3 was the best car I have ever driven and I need to try one again to see if I can really live with it. Obviously clubsport/comfort pack (seats, cage etc) is another dilemma. Zzzzz.
Most of the 911s I have driven belonged to one guy and he now has a 991 GT3. I drove that back in the summer and the noise at 9000RPM was incredible. Sadly way out of my budget.

I really love the alcantera interiors of the GTS and the centre lock wheels. I know I know but I have a lot of boxes to tick and there is something about them.

RE the 991 Turbo yes I have noticed prices are dipping below £100k. An old friend has a 2yr old one and it's brutal.
Once I am sorted in new year with job etc then I will have a much clearer view on budget so I can discount some of the choices.

In terms of future, I am not really intending to go up the Porsche ladder as other financial priorities will come along so for now whatever I choose will probably be the one and only Porsche I get to own.

Nick

Fair point, I have read that the .2 raises the game considerably over the .1, the PDK will play a big part in that I'm sure.

I recently scratched a long standing Porsche itch. My heart said to go for a GT3 but my two small boys would never have forgiven me if I bought one without rear seats for them

So I ended up going for the Turbo S. Not as razor sharp as a GT3 but it's breadth of abilities are amazing and second to none. The extra wide body and air intake scoops ensure that it stands out a bit against all the 'vanilla' 911s.

Happy hunting!
Old 19 December 2016, 07:14 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I'll be actively looking for mine in the new year, I'm yet to drive one but I'm pretty set on a 997.2 turbo (manual)
Old 20 December 2016, 09:27 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
I'll be actively looking for mine in the new year, I'm yet to drive one but I'm pretty set on a 997.2 turbo (manual)

Hi mate

I would seriously consider the PDK over a manual, it suits the engine and nature of the car.
Old 20 December 2016, 11:11 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Boyakasha
997 Turbo S forget the others
wise man
Old 21 December 2016, 06:08 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Hi mate

I would seriously consider the PDK over a manual, it suits the engine and nature of the car.
I'll be testing both, so I'm open for a change of heart.

The manual is just a part of the 911 dream I've had for some years now if that makes sense?