LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I really like these
Old 31 December 2015, 11:06 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Gota admit Honda have done a good job here, instead of making a boring looking like Fords Focus, it looks evil. Plus i always think hot hatches should be 3 door, i know this is a 5 door, but they've not done a to bad job of hiding the rear doors.
Old 31 December 2015, 03:25 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Focus = boring
Type-R = evil

From my perspective

Focus = Right blend of aggression
Type-R = reversed into Halfords

I guess it's a good thing that looks are a highly subjective matter
Old 31 December 2015, 03:25 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

P.S. Golf R = boring*

*albeit, I still like it...
Old 31 December 2015, 04:33 PM
scoobyreedy
Scooby Regular

Think they look nice especially in the blue will have to test drive one sometime along with the rs and see what I think a big plus is the running cost as been mentioned
Old 31 December 2015, 04:47 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

I'd imagine the Type-R is a great steer. However, from what I've read not being able to disable the dampers from "R mode" is a major issue on your typical British road.
Old 31 December 2015, 05:01 PM
scoobyreedy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I'd imagine the Type-R is a great steer. However, from what I've read not being able to disable the dampers from "R mode" is a major issue on your typical British road.
Good point that been there with performance hot hatches like that hop skip and jump
Old 31 December 2015, 05:52 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

I don't tend to find a need to use the R mode on a typical English road, the throttle response is more than good enough. The dampers on R mode are extremely rigid and are only for smooth tarmac roads unless your wear a gum shield and back brace

DARC174

Press the menu button (top right of the LCD screen)
Press the Info tab
Then press the upper option 'trip computer' for the mpg screen.

The most useful hidden screen is (page 125 of the manual )
Press the top left 'info' button on the steering wheel until the G-meter/brake/throttle screen is showing.

Press and hold the 'info' button until it says change on the screen.
You can then scroll through several sub-screens one of which brings up the water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, boost pressure like you get when pressing the R button.
Old 31 December 2015, 05:52 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

It's definitely not a shy and retiring sleeper that's for sure. I'm in two minds about the looks, fair play to Honda for not "playing it safe".

The world needs designs that take a bit of a risk, keeps the game interesting. I still look at a Carlos Sainz GT4 and think what a gorgeous car even today and that design is like 20 years old.

Why doesn't anyone do pop lights anymore? too expensive/unreliable?
Old 31 December 2015, 07:53 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

The +R mode is on a button and doesn't affect the performance of the car since I have had mine I haven't used the +R button there is no need unless your on track. In normal mode the suspension is nice on uk roads
Old 31 December 2015, 07:54 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coupe-Se
I don't tend to find a need to use the R mode on a typical English road, the throttle response is more than good enough. The dampers on R mode are extremely rigid and are only for smooth tarmac roads unless your wear a gum shield and back brace

DARC174

Press the menu button (top right of the LCD screen)
Press the Info tab
Then press the upper option 'trip computer' for the mpg screen.

The most useful hidden screen is (page 125 of the manual )
Press the top left 'info' button on the steering wheel until the G-meter/brake/throttle screen is showing.

Press and hold the 'info' button until it says change on the screen.
You can then scroll through several sub-screens one of which brings up the water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, boost pressure like you get when pressing the R button.
Yeah I use that sub menu all the time when I'm driving , I had a look this morning and didn't even relise there was a info button on the screen haha
Old 31 December 2015, 08:45 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

It's amazing how ones tastes change as one gets older.
20 years ago I'd have been all over this, or a new Focus RS.

Middle age catches up, and we go all sensible!
Old 31 December 2015, 10:22 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
It's amazing how ones tastes change as one gets older.
20 years ago I'd have been all over this, or a new Focus RS.

Middle age catches up, and we go all sensible!
Middle age caught up with me, I'm very much nearer 50 than 40

If I'd been younger I wouldn't have appreciated what a finely engineered car the Type R is.

It would be boring if we all had the same tastes. I can't wait to see some Focus RS's on the road.
Old 31 December 2015, 10:52 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coupe-Se
Middle age caught up with me, I'm very much nearer 50 than 40

If I'd been younger I wouldn't have appreciated what a finely engineered car the Type R is.

It would be boring if we all had the same tastes. I can't wait to see some Focus RS's on the road.
Me too - in my 47th year.
I can still get in my Exige
Old 01 January 2016, 09:54 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

They certainly do grab your attention. I havent test driven one or even been in one as a passenger but I still find it hard to believe that FWD isnt a compromise. My two previous cars were a RSMK2 and FN2 CTR. Both struggled for traction in anything less than warm flat clean roads. Add cold, damp, wet, loose surface into the equation and it was easy to get embarassed by less powerful cars. All the reviews of the RS said the revoknuckle diff was amazing but in the real world it just didnt cut it. The torque steer on the RS was at times downright dangerous and could also easily spin up the front tyres even when running a torque mount and brand new michelin supersports. To the point where I think my current X3 30D would match it other than cornering speeds and braking.

No doubt things have moved on with the current Type R but you still can't avoid the laws of physics. I would be very interested to read the thoughts of an RS owner moving to the new CTR (after the honeymoon period).
Old 01 January 2016, 10:44 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pipe an slippers ?
Old 01 January 2016, 11:06 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

I understand the points re: R-Mode not being necessary....which then begs the question; why does it have it.

I'm interested to see the RS and how its modes (normal, sport, track, drift) affect the exhaust note, AWD dynamics, throttle response, steering, etc. For me, there needs to be decent progression in these modes or there is no point in having them. Annoyingly the RS seems to have just two damper modes (normal and broken bone mode). Thankfully, there is a damper override switch on the indicator stalk so you can switch them between these two modes instantly regardless of the primary selected driver profile.

From what I've read, the VAG modes (i.e. cupra and golf R (when specced with dampers)) is very well judged all round.

The fact that two Type-R owners are stating they don't use R-mode is an indication of a missed opportunity to me.
Old 01 January 2016, 11:14 AM
Soup
Scooby Regular

I really like that! Only seen one in the flesh at japfest 2 a white one, it set to looks better in red.
Old 01 January 2016, 12:18 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

I understand the points re: R-Mode not being necessary....which then begs the question; why does it have it.

I'm interested to see the RS and how its modes (normal, sport, track, drift) affect the exhaust note, AWD dynamics, throttle response, steering, etc. For me, there needs to be decent progression in these modes or there is no point in having them. Annoyingly the RS seems to have just two damper modes (normal and broken bone mode). Thankfully, there is a damper override switch on the indicator stalk so you can switch them between these two modes instantly regardless of the primary selected driver profile.

From what I've read, the VAG modes (i.e. cupra and golf R (when specced with dampers)) is very well judged all round.

The fact that two Type-R owners are stating they don't use R-mode is an indication of a missed opportunity to me.
I get what your saying mate, the +R mode is for track use. Suppose it's better to have the option on track then not.
Old 01 January 2016, 01:27 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fabioso
It's definitely not a shy and retiring sleeper that's for sure. I'm in two minds about the looks, fair play to Honda for not "playing it safe".

The world needs designs that take a bit of a risk, keeps the game interesting. I still look at a Carlos Sainz GT4 and think what a gorgeous car even today and that design is like 20 years old.

Why doesn't anyone do pop lights anymore? too expensive/unreliable?
I think pop-up lights went due to the weight didn't they? Still seems bonkers that the 'R' is on a limited run and all the NSX's are sold so until the new S2000 arrives Honda won't have a 'performance' car again for everyone to buy.
Old 01 January 2016, 11:11 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

300bhp plus and 30+ mpg and low tax is where it's at and its mainly what most of them have now..but also all due to standards etc.

The Scoobyof old was 300 but drank fuel like it had hole in the tank, and look at the Evo fq360 was under 15mpg from a 2L block and then you have the A45 also 2L again but 30Plus if your careful

I do like the civic always liked them since I had the 03 model, this ones a bit in ya face which I'm still unsure about but it looks better than the bland focus Rs I think whoever designed fords new RS should take a leaf out of the old ones book that was nice, this looks too much like an ST must have been same guy who destined the RS3 lol, I'd still have one for free though .....

Last edited by Littleted; 01 January 2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02 January 2016, 12:04 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know this is going to sound like I'm beating my old drum, BUT all of this just shows what I've been saying for some considerable time, WRX PPP yes I know it's not 300+ bhp but it can be and it also returns 28mpg as an average and 36mpg on a run @80mph which is just shy of 3krpm, and again like many of the cars above once moving the actual difference in the real world is very minimal, add to that the slightly more compliant suspension and I don't see how things have actually moved on in reality from the moment my car was built.

I know everyone on here is obsessed with trying to prove the STI is a better car, but ultimately the real world driving experience of these more modern cars isn't that different from the WRX PPP and you'll note I add the PPP 260 plays 300 and it aint that much more, in reality much like the R button is the difference between road and track set up 99.9 % of the time you don't want the hard suspension, you want compliant suspension, it's only when on track that the stiffer setup shines, the rest of the time it's a ball ache.

So going back to Saxo boys earlier post, personally I don't think there is a great deal more to see here, especially if your weapon of choice is a WRX Wagon PPP with AP 4 pots and a few handling mods like mine.

You all just spent £26k more than you needed to.
Old 02 January 2016, 06:11 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Insurance and tax and servicing will be another 1000 a year , especially these youngsters
But that's irrelevant compared to 12k depreciation a year, but then again who wants sit in a 12 y/o tractor
Old 02 January 2016, 02:56 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabioso
... Why doesn't anyone do pop lights anymore? too expensive/unreliable?
Originally Posted by NormantheDog
I think pop-up lights went due to the weight didn't they? ..
They've been discontinued as they weren't very pedestrian friendly.

The mpg advances are significant on paper but not that great in real life if you use the available power, e.g. Bugeye wagon (390bhp): 23-26mpg, Golf R (300bhp) 25-28mpg.

And many of us 'old people' on here will no doubt remember (Saab 900 turbo, for example) when it was thought that 180bhp was the limit for an FWD car.
Old 02 January 2016, 08:49 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Last edited by Uncle Creepy; 18 April 2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02 January 2016, 09:13 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy
Dude, what's your problem? I remember you taking cheap shots at the Merc A45 AMG on the 'A45 owners: show us your rides' thread - some nonsense about a vanity mirror... then the other day you made some snide remark about my new car (an Audi TT RS), saying it was basically a VW Beetle ... and now you're trying to p!$$ on the parade of the OP here by reminding him how much his Type R is going to depreciate by, as if nobody has heard of depreciation. And these are just threads I've read or can remember.

I don't think anybody minds mature, constructive criticism, eg. "the styling of the Type R is a bit too extreme for my liking", or "the styling of the new Focus RS is not extreme enough for my liking", etc., but when a member regularly makes petulant comments, often containing little or no substance, about other members' new cars, it just comes across as bitter and rather jealous. If you're mad because you drive a Xsara, buy a new car!!!

Oh, and you never did answer my question (and I know you saw it!) about which major parts or components a TT RS and a Beetle share!? I knew you wouldn't because you don't know the answer, which proves that your post had no basis and its sole intention was to yet again be negative about somebody's new car purchase. It's quite sad really!

TT RS a beetle I wish they where priced the same as id have a nice TT RS on the drive now, they sound so good, pretty much the same engine as the MK2 Focus RS but with added bonus of being 4wd

TT RS with a exhaust and map is as quick as a R8 V10, you got any plans for yours???
Old 02 January 2016, 10:49 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Last edited by Uncle Creepy; 18 April 2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02 January 2016, 11:15 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Very quick cars, very rare you see any on the roads, But they do take to tuning pretty well, I remember my mate had one in his garage for a detail that was running 450-500bhp and it looked amazing!!!

Think the guy sold it not long after, but what a car!!! It even had a bit of a subaru theme going on with the gold wheels!!
Old 02 January 2016, 11:45 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Last edited by Uncle Creepy; 18 April 2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03 January 2016, 10:39 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Oooh touchy aren't we... I was responding to ditchys ever present argument that nobody needs buy anything other than a old Subaru wagon.
Honestly thought tt had beetle underpinnings , turns out it's golf ~ it's a ok I guess if you want a "sports car"

I wouldn't mind the civic after Someone's taken the initial hit.
The rear of the car is something to behold mind , but you can't see it when you're driving it

Last edited by dpb; 03 January 2016 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Civic type r 2015/2016