Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

S5 squeaky brakes

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2015, 09:49 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 squeaky brakes

Just having a moan as much as anything else.

The brakes on my S5 squeak like a bitch, only happens at low speed towards stopping and is so loud, and is temperature related. If it is warm, nothing at all, but when it drops below about 15 degrees they squeal like a pig.

Have had it back in the dealership and they tell me nothing is wrong with the pads or anything, on the way to work, only a 2 mile drive through three sets of traffic lights they make so much noise that people stop and look, now I like a bit of attention but think I have a winter of this.

Anyone else ever had anything like this?
Old 14 November 2015, 10:52 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an S5 too and my rear brakes are currently squeaking! In my case it's the rear pads and discs that need replaced. The front and rear brakes were all changed at the same time but the rear brakes have worn much faster with a lip on the disc now either due to too much of a bias at the rear or just sticking calipers. However, they don't noticeably stick (don't feel like it when rolling at very low speed). I'm going to change them and keep an eye on the temp of the rear brakes after driving. But the front pads have only half worn with the discs still in good condition in the same time the rear pads have worn to nothing and put a lip on the discs!
Old 15 November 2015, 09:51 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Without looking at them with a very close eye to detail it'll be hard to pin down, it could disc wear as mentioned above, it could be pads sticking on one side or loose in the guide (I'm guessing they are ATE callipers) the slide pins which hold the Piston body to the calliper bracket could be sticking or the rubber bushes they slide though could be worn allowing movement and vibratation. It could also be a pad compound issue.

I do know that I put new pads on a car with worn/groves/lipped discs they is a big risk they will squeal, and can give a poor pedal during bedding in.

If the discs are in good shape, they could be resurfaced and I do have a magic potion made KENT that when applied to the pads stops squeal -used it a couple of times with mixed success: http://www.kenteurope.com/en/product...shoe-silencer/

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 November 2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 15 November 2015, 12:23 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Will try the KENT stuff and also get the dealership to take a look again. Has done it from new, last winter was the same, throughout the summer not a thing, and has just started again a few weeks back as the temperature started dropping.