Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

any ford commercial or transit mechs? 2004 85t260 help

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2014, 02:18 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any ford commercial or transit mechs? 2004 85t260 help

Hi I'm hoping some of you guys are as good with transits as you are subarus. Basically I bought a van for a workhorse, drove prob 300 mile since owning it,drives nice idle nice alls good no unwanted noises no smoke on full throttle nice smooth drive,
last night I went to my mates (8 miles from my home) parked up went inside for a hour or so, left drove home turned van off, about 15min later went back out to move van over to get the car out and it wouldn't start,
(it has a immobiliser central locking key fob), disarmed it as normal turned key and it was turning over and over and over but wouldn't fire up,
Locked(armed immobiliser) it and unlocked (disaarmed immobiliser) it and tried to start again but would just turn over and not fire?
I don't think it's a immobiliser fault as when it's not been disarmed it won't turn over it ...normally it starts after 1 second of turning the key
It's a 2ltr turbo diesel fwd 85bhp swb, any suggestions as to where to start would be very much appreciated cheers

Last edited by *matthewturb2000*; 13 December 2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 14 December 2014, 02:50 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Is the glowplug light flashing when you crank it? If it is, you have a ECU/pump fault. It'll need plugging in and finding out what's going on.

When you talk about immobilisers are you talking of the factory Ford remote fob, or an aftermarket system? Its sound like you are talking about a aftermarket system, usually these just disable the starter motor, and maybe the ignition relay....However, there is still the factory PATS (passive anti-theft) system in addition to this.

The factory Ford remote fob just does the locking of the doors. It does nothing else. The immobiliser is a chip built insider the ignition key (it does not use a battery).

If the Ford immobiliser is playing up, you'll get a rapidly flashing LED when the ignition is On, I think on that model year its in the middle of instrument panel, if not, its somewhere in the middle of the dash. If the Ford Immobiliser is happy, it will blink with ignition Off, turn On when you turn the ignition On, then go Off after about 4 seconds and stay Off. If it is flashing when the ignition is on, try a spare key - if you have one.

Also note that having multiple car keys on the same bunch can interfere with the PATs immobilisers. Even if they are keys for a completely different make/model of car.

I can't remember which engine version this model has, I'm guess its the older TDDi engine as opposed to the later TDCi. Now the TDDi doesn't have much to stop it from running...its an old electronic pump (VP30 or VP44) as opposed to common rail. So a few sesnors (mainly the crank sensor), microchip inside the key (aka PATS ), and the pump. Thats it. So as long as it has good fuel to the pump (no air), there is nothing else that stops it from starting.

There is the remote chance the chain has jumped, but that usually happens after bump/tow starting it.

The pumps do fail randomly and well basically, your van just doesn't start, or just dies when driving. This is the worst case as the cost of a rebuilt/warrantied pump pretty much writes the van off, unless you take a gamble on eBay. VP30 and VP44 pumps are notorious for this - its not just on old Transits. I just had to give a guy a very big bill for a new VP44 on his Audi all road.

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 December 2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 15 December 2014, 06:35 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Have the battery tested , had a 06 one that would run spot on all week then Monday mornings the fker wouldn't play ...
Got one at the mo that's just starting to play up on short journeys...heaters on , lights on etc then it's slow to start.
No doubt I won't get chance til I'm in the middle of nowhere and the ****** will pack up
Old 17 December 2014, 02:56 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the delay guys haven't been logged on since, went to the van next morning when it was freezing out and it started as normal so dono what was up with that and it's ran fine since,been working it for 3days trouble free,
It's had the feul pump and to injectors chain tensioners guides replaced in the last 20,000mile, just needs a little bit of welding on the inner back archs,
They always brakedown at the worst times,I ran a 90t350 tipper for 3 year was forever having trouble with it when the rear axle went I scrapped it,