Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

A45 AMG, some issues.

Old 30 August 2014, 02:40 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A45 AMG, some issues.

I am sure that this isn't going to go down well with it being a Subaru site and all but have managed to drag myself into the A45 AMG discussion a few times already so felt one more time wont hurt.

I should also point out that this is only a percentage and not all I could find. It involves mainly turbos (a count of 24 needing to be replaced half way through the thread) but also failed driveshaft, FULL electrical failure (which resulted in a accident) a fuel tank failure and a more that I have forgotten, not to mention poor customer service.

CAR magazine's latest issue, August 2014, has conducted a group test of nine hot hatches -*Ford*Focus*ST-2, BMW M135i,*VW*Golf*GTI, Seat Leon Cupra, Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG, Ford Fiesta ST-2,*Mini Cooper S,*VW Golf R,*Renault Megane*RS265. The cars were tested on a track, Cadwell Park, by a CAR team led by Chris Chilton.The*VW Golf R*was best. *Our car was last, sort of. *Everyone except Chilton regarded it as a 'major disappointment.' *The cars were thought to be 'crazier versions of existing cars but the craziest by far is the A45 AMG.' *Craziest seemed to mean costliest
still, at least it not a subaru

Hi all, i have noticed over the last few weeks i occasionally get a noise from the gearbox from a spirited standing start.The noise seems to come between 1st and 2nd but is hard to pinpoint with the short shift. It sounds like small gravel sliding on a metal tray and is only there for a split second..
So my A45 just had a complete electric failure.Power*steering, engine, everything completely cut out culminating with almost hitting a wall/other cars as I headed towards a round about. Very scary stuff.
I bought a a45 about 5 weeks ago, so far I've had the coolant pipe changed and some rattles fixed, though still getting some rattles on really rough roads.The other thing I had changed, which I've not seen mentioned on this forum, is the fuel tank replaced. The Mercedes dealership called me last week to say there's a recall for the*fuel*tanks. It's been in and fixed, took 2 days, and all is good again.
I can't quite believe this to be honest and don't blame you for wanting to switch brands after being treated like that.Unfortunately it can happen with all marques and just depends on what dealer you get given on your patch
MB's handling of this is treating the customer with contempt. My call to MB Customer Assistance was met with rudeness and indifference
Apart from being compelled to drive a car with a known serious defect, my greatest concern here is how slow MB have been to properly get hold of this issue
Not entirely sure dealer should have give the car back to me with measuring this far out of spec and complaint from me regarding performance, as if it lets go big time at the wrong moment ... bit of a safety issue to say the least, but hey its only got a few days to last out.
. Turbo Replaced
TURBO BLEW UP AND REPLACED AFTER 12K. ALSO NEW CAT AND COMPLETE*EXHAUST*PIPE. DOESNT SEEM THE SAME PERFORMANCE BEEN BACK IN DEALER SHIP THEY OK. DONT AGREE
mentioned the sluggish 1st and 2nd gear after cold start
I informed dealer of recall. MB hadn't been in contact with me at all, so if it hasn't been for this forum I would have been none the wiser
My turbo failed last week.
Turbo changed yesterday, its was outside of the permissible figure but I don't know what by.*This was after 4 trips, dealers are useless!* Definitely feel difference on/ off throttle and note change from theexhaust.*My dad has a CLA AMG which will also be going in results on that to follow!
Just went to service for 15000km, and the service said there are 2 actions assigned for my a45. One of them was a part for the cooling system to be replaced - and it is replaced. The second one was the turbo test
called my dealer - said they are staggering the letters due to short supply of replacement turbos
Just an update: popped into the garage the morning and chatting to the technician - its not the*exhaust*heat*shieldrattling... it's play in the link arm - you can see it vibrating and rattling and if you hold it it stops - he wasn't sure what to do to stop it, but I said that I leave it for him to figure out
1) Build date and year;*2013 - around May I believe -*purchased*in Spet.2) Car was in for service / broken drive shaft3) Not sure about this!Turbo wasn't replaced just adjusted.Back in garage right now as there is a rattle when starting up from cold in the morning for about a minute! - Pretty sure its not right!
1:Oct 13 Build2: Prompted inspection3: 0.05mm, no replacementContacting MB to try and get a replacement regardless of current tolerance.1. If it was 5% of vehicles requiring replacement due to popped turbos or unacceptable tolerance then I would be happy with their thumbs up, its ok diagnosis. But this pole alone 50% have been replaced. That number makes me uncomfortable and results in me not having confidence in pushing the car.2. According to some posts on the forum, the replacement turbo is more robust. Why make it more robust if the current ones are ok?3. Does the movement grow over time? I.e. will my 0.05 edge closer or past 0.08 over time, with more use?
Old 30 August 2014, 02:42 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jesus pal you need to get a life, why not actually buy a car and use it rather than read about it and bore the rest of us
Old 30 August 2014, 02:59 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
jesus pal you need to get a life, why not actually buy a car and use it rather than read about it and bore the rest of us
But you have a car and I assume a life and you still bore us.
Old 30 August 2014, 04:23 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Our one will be here on Tuesday, not really bothered about all the turbo failures as all new cars tend to have issues and hopefully it will be resolved. I've also got a hawkeye STi so looking forward to engine failure on that as well
Old 30 August 2014, 04:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boyakasha
Our one will be here on Tuesday, not really bothered about all the turbo failures as all new cars tend to have issues and hopefully it will be resolved. I've also got a hawkeye STi so looking forward to engine failure on that as well
There's been 11 turbo failures worldwide on A45 AMGs , all early cars, resolved now. You've nothing to worry about. Unlike with your 2.5
Old 30 August 2014, 05:02 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris j t
I am sure that this isn't going to go down well with it being a Subaru site and all but have managed to drag myself into the A45 AMG discussion a few times already so felt one more time wont hurt.

I should also point out that this is only a percentage and not all I could find. It involves mainly turbos (a count of 24 needing to be replaced half way through the thread) but also failed driveshaft, FULL electrical failure (which resulted in a accident) a fuel tank failure and a more that I have forgotten, not to mention poor customer service.

still, at least it not a subaru
Christ alive man!! You relay don't help yourself do ya

You deserve all the **** you get on here
Old 30 August 2014, 05:05 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
There's been 11 turbo failures worldwide on A45 AMGs , all early cars, resolved now. You've nothing to worry about. Unlike with your 2.5
Very true, can't wait to get it run in.

Hawkeye is my track car, I'm just about to drop a forged 2.5 in with inserts etc as I wasn't going to take any chances.
Old 30 August 2014, 05:08 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

I found at least 3 times that not to mention drive shafts and all out full electrical failure resulting in a accident (luckily it was a wall he hit, not a oncoming car) and even a fuel tank failing plus more.

Dont worry should be gone soon
Old 30 August 2014, 05:27 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I found at least 3 times that not to mention drive shafts and all out full electrical failure resulting in a accident (luckily it was a wall he hit, not a oncoming car) and even a fuel tank failing plus more.

Dont worry should be gone soon
The stats are in the very thread you are posting from I think you are on a wind up!
Old 30 August 2014, 05:28 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boyakasha
Very true, can't wait to get it run in.

Hawkeye is my track car, I'm just about to drop a forged 2.5 in with inserts etc as I wasn't going to take any chances.
The 2.5 is sorted then, nice one
Old 30 August 2014, 05:41 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

The stats are in the very thread you are posting from I think you are on a wind up!
There are a few threads on the turbo, one of the threads, about half.way through, one of the members adds up the number of turbos that have been replaced because of failure, that was halfway through.

It would appear to me that as I am often accused of you are not accepting the truth.

If it means that much to you then I would be more than happy to post the links and point out the points I have raised in this thread as long as Lisa hasn't taken me òff, just say the word.

oh and by the way, I have not searched specifically for issues but just scrolled down the forum page and the threads jump out at you.

But hay, it doesn't meen its a bad unreliable car, it just means that they are having teething problems.

Last edited by Carnut; 30 August 2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 30 August 2014, 05:50 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

chris seriously get something better to do with your time.......
Old 30 August 2014, 05:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

No need, it's here:

ALERT Turbo Issue - Data Collection

That was the state of play on 26th August apparently!

TBH I couldn't care less as I don't own one, don't have blind brand loyalty and there are lot worse faults on some AMGs than that..... admittedly not engine related, but bad enough!

All that said it is amusing to watch you try and prove a car with teething troubles that are being taken care of by the manufacturer has a major fault all the while trying to downplay the far more prevalent issue with another car that the manufacturer is doing their level best to wash their hands of.

Keep going
Old 30 August 2014, 06:11 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

chris seriously get something better to do with your time.......
Look ok iam sticking it in a bit before they take me off but it takes more than me to have these silly arguments.

But putting this thread and the 2.5 issues to one side and I am constantly trying my up most to help others on this site, it was one a minute ago I was getting links and looking through the net to get information for a members kids. I am one of the first to welcome new membersand make Iit my goal to help them, I could go on and one but I contribute to this site in a big way and am doing so right to the end. But I wont to know some figures and facts about the 2.5 and it gets me no end of ****. Is there any other car forum in the world were the only car that can be slagged off is the one with the name at the top of the thread. . I am a fan of all subarus and it is that that makes me unpopular. Fine if you want a classic or a blob sti or even a jdm but anything else and you're made to feel unwelcome (at times). If I had left it a week and posted a thread about the new sti failing big time all over the place I would not need any facts and would be seen as a hero.

But look, as soon as Lisa has got in or had her nap I will be gone so save yourself the effort and just have a nice little laugh to yourself.
Old 30 August 2014, 06:14 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

why would they take you off?, i doubt anyone takes a lot of notice of an obvious troll let alone take offence.

like f1 fan i find you quite amusing.

the 2.5 issue has now just become "your thing" most long term members know the issues with it and take no notice.
Old 30 August 2014, 06:16 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

No need, it's here:

ALERT Turbo Issue - Data Collection

That was the state of play on 26th August apparently!

TBH I couldn't care less as I don't own one, don't have blind brand loyalty and there are lot worse faults on some AMGs than that..... admittedly not engine related, but bad enough!

All that said it is amusing to watch you try and prove a car with teething troubles that are being taken care of by the manufacturer has a major fault all the while trying to downplay the far more prevalent issue with another car that the manufacturer is doing their level best to wash their hands of.

Keep going
A lot of the posts I found was about poor customer care (have a look at my op) and cars being sent out after a inspection only to find that the issue it went in for was not ok and subsequently failed which could of resulted in a accident.

But what can you not understand, in the same way you dont trust me and go and do you're own research even phoning dealers but mostly looking through amg fornms time and time again you then give me a hard time for doing the same thing

Last edited by Carnut; 30 August 2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 30 August 2014, 06:21 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

why would they take you off?, i doubt anyone takes a lot of notice of an obvious troll let alone take offence.

like f1 fan i find you quite amusing.

the 2.5 issue has now just become "your thing" most long term members know the issues with it and take no notice.
I ve asked Lisawrx to take me down, much the same as you did when I assume you had had to much.
Old 30 August 2014, 06:22 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

**** me!!!! He really is mental!
Old 30 August 2014, 06:24 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by jayallen
+1 obsessed with cars and engines he doesnt own, when he does get a subaru he is going to stop posting, but he is gettting removed first because he has asked lisa to do it
Old 30 August 2014, 06:26 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
Old 30 August 2014, 06:27 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

I ve asked Lisawrx to take me down, much the same as you did when I assume you had had to much.

I don't understand??

You've asked her to ban you??
Old 30 August 2014, 06:28 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Chris all silliness aside don't go. You're OK if a little obsessive and if you are leaving in any way because of me please know I mean you no harm and have no malice..... I just enjoy the sport.

You did call me a sad old man though come to think of it ...

Just don't take it all so personally OK?
Old 30 August 2014, 06:37 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris is really moving up the ranks now
He has dedicated his life to this forum and to become one of the "great characters "

As always PS Lewis will always be the Grandad of scoobynet
Although he has retired now

Pslewis is the top king pin now ,not content with being the most hated man in scoobynet and prehaps the world he puts up some great windups and grinds down his opposition to they swear and throw their chocolate pistons out of the cylinder heads

Tubby and his rebranded name is still the top windup man and has the technical knowledge to back up his arguments and experience too

We have a dozen or so middle tier

Chris is now trying. To tackle Fi and tubby head on

At the end of the day the only things we can talk about is the useless engines that Subaru makes now and the how long /how much to it goes POP
Old 30 August 2014, 06:41 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

i only came on to sell some mudflaps, im off out to the pub soon.
hopefully chris will still be here in the morning.
Old 30 August 2014, 06:42 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
Chris is really moving up the ranks now
He has dedicated his life to this forum and to become one of the "great characters "

As always PS Lewis will always be the Grandad of scoobynet
Although he has retired now

f1_fan is the top king pin now ,not content with being the most hated man in scoobynet and prehaps the world he puts up some great windups and grinds down his opposition to they swear and throw their chocolate pistons out of the cylinder heads

Tubby and his rebranded name is still the top windup man and has the technical knowledge to back up his arguments and experience too

We have a dozen or so middle tier

Chris is now trying. To tackle Fi and tubby head on

At the end of the day the only things we can talk about is the useless engines that Subaru makes now and the how long /how much to it goes POP
Edited to sort out your typo M'Lord
Old 30 August 2014, 06:43 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Chris all silliness aside don't go. You're OK if a little obsessive and if you are leaving in any way because of me please know I mean you no harm and have no malice..... I just enjoy the sport.

No dont, get rid if he wants to go, its obvious he dosent know how to take this forum.
Thats exactly what hes looking for, sympathy ortherwise he wouldnt of told you and just gone quietly.
Old 30 August 2014, 06:48 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
No dont, get rid if he wants to go, its obvious he dosent know how to take this forum.
Thats exactly what hes looking for, sympathy ortherwise he wouldnt of told you and just gone quietly.
Yeah, but I haven't finished with him yet
Old 30 August 2014, 06:50 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

i sense a blaze of glory ending to this one, no doubt involving "you're all paedos and cant get a woman" style imaginative final rant
Old 30 August 2014, 06:56 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the post but I have very little to do which is why I am spending to much time on the site.

Secondly to that all I wont to do is try and understand the size of the issue much the same as you have been doing with the A45 but am very quickly backed into a corner where I am out classed and then make myself look stupid.

One final example before I go, the thread that this started on the other day about the my11 (can't remember his name) bumped by me because someone brought to my attention some info, I ignored at first but then after reading some other posts from the said owner I go curious. After having a nosey through some of his posts I could not believe my eyes, he has tracked the car and done it hard which involved high speed runs of 130mph plus dowñ the autoban(dont know how you spell it) and I feel that info is relevant to the thread. If someone did that in a blob they would get criticism. In fact a few threads came to mind where someone had been given a hard time for doing so in a blob.

If you dont get what I am saying then thats fair enough but it also means I am not conversing with like minded people so whats the point.
Old 30 August 2014, 06:59 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

i sense a blaze of glory ending to this one, no doubt involving "you're all paedos and cant get a woman" style imaginative final rant
Would never happen

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A45 AMG, some issues.