Old 02 July 2013, 08:41 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NBO feedback thread

I'm still on writing up the show report but what I'm looking for is feedback
Good or bad
A few basics

It's costs £1100 to host the show so we won't be paying for stunt drivers or celebrities to open it as I would rather give the money to charity

We rely so much on our main sponser Oliver and the traders without that the NBO could not exist as I'm committed to charity

Venue is well tested central for the majority and has facilities on site

We can't camp due to H&S and security but
We might have the use of lodges in the future as LV are going to be building camping lodges and extended the pub in the wood so that might be great for those wanting a long break

2 day show
We would double our costs so not sure if it's a goer ?

Inviting over car clubs we had 3 non Subaru clubs which worked well
Expansion on these ?

Traders
I've given up after 11 years still just a handful and we charge just £50 yet they all do well
No idea we should charge £2500+ vat like max power we have tried many things to attract them even using total impreza sales force yet still nothing

Food we get a donation of the burger van which is nice

Club stand judgeing
I had the same top five as the 14 independant judges so really pleased they know what to look for and ,marking is witnessed by 3 independents

Car of the day

Overrun slightly this year as such a high standard of cars in the 4 classes
Dont think we have time for any more classes and all 4 are well atended

Judges all experienced and committed And mixture of clubs and independents

Prizes for winning Classs
I would rather gave money to the charity which is our main aim

think that's about it any other comments please let us have them

Add your thoughts or of you want to let rip without others knowing as most love the show plead pm me I've emptied my pm box ans we need your comments for the next NBO meeting
Old 02 July 2013, 09:42 PM
blackpoolrock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was my first time this year and I enjoyed it but here are y thoughts.

Firstly there was a clear winner in the club stand competition in my mind and it wasn't the one picked. I don't see what a theam ie beach or what ever it was has to do with subarus - that is our theam subarus !

I went with a pocket full of cash and couldn't spend it ! I don't know why it's hard to get the traders and I'm sorry to say that for such a big outfit with such a great car Revolutions turnout was poor. It looked thrown up and very un professional.

I thought some of the club stands were a bit pushed out of the way.

Could we have another 2 catogories for the cars ? How about a car voted for by the public ? And we deffo need a category for cara that are in use most days ! Not ones stored away from show to show ! I love to see the show cara but also I love the day to day cars.

Maybe move it completely to another part of the north and try and get some southern fairys up !

With all the piping and banging going off lets have a sound off ! When people started it it got people over to them and away fro the judjing

I personally didn't look at the other cars as its a Subaru show. How ever if there was more of our STYLE cars then maybe it could be a good thing - maybe the EVO boys ? That would be quite good

Just one more to you traders - I was really annoyed I couldn't buy anything I wanted

Last edited by blackpoolrock; 02 July 2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02 July 2013, 11:09 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

I love NBO, lets you chat face to face with the guys and gals uve been speaking/helping over the months etc on the forums and having a day to perv over some stunning cars and raising money is what its all about,

On the competiton side well its a farse really, its the same cars that win or come second yr in yr out,yes there lovely but no way are these daily drivers, so why not stick them all in a proper show car only section,

That way it will allow everyone else to compete at a level most cars are at,
Non modified, slighlty modded and fully modded etc, may take a bit longer but would keep more people interested possibly
Also the judges need to believe what there told, i know one guy who entered his daily driver and the mileage is over 200k and the judge refused to believe him that it was still on its original engine,
if thats the case whats the point in entering if your just going to be ignored!!

I hope that some more traders would make an effort to come and support the day as its good business for them, as for the distance etc im almost 330round trip and i enjoy the break away with my mates etc from the car club and the local B@B are gd.

On the camping why was it ok on previous years to camp on site now its not,
H@S didnt just happen over night and theres never been any security issues thats been made public before so this puts some folk off as they like the camping in the grounds etc,few drinks and not need to worry about driving next morning,

Look forward to next yr and hopefully it grows and gets better
Old 02 July 2013, 11:39 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Ill be bringing mine next year so it will hopefully shake up the normal winners
Old 03 July 2013, 06:46 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

I enjoyed it but totally agree about the winners of both club stands and cars.
Old 03 July 2013, 08:55 AM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

Originally Posted by blackpoolrock
Just one more to you traders - I was really annoyed I couldn't buy anything I wanted
What exactly were you looking to buy? Then the organisers could look at getting that type of trader?

Michael
Old 03 July 2013, 09:08 AM
blackpoolrock
Scooby Regular

I wanted wheels - steering wheel anything really ! If I'd of wanted cleaning stuff I'd of been fine as the polishing booth was thee and well represented but all the rest was a joke really
Old 03 July 2013, 09:22 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I see where your coming from John I enjoyed it too an the cars on show were amazing but there's a difference between show cars and daily drivers so the catergories should have been a little more open.

Totally agree with what your saying mate

Martin
Old 03 July 2013, 10:00 AM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

This was also my first year at NBO, or any Subaru show for that matter so can't compare it to anything. What I can compare it to though are the VW shows I have been attending for the past 6.5yrs.
To start with let me just make it clear that I really enjoyed the day, the quality of cars and the quality of the people who attended. But I do have some thoughts on how it could be improved in the future years.

As I mentioned I have attended many VW shows over the past years and always found that the busier, more popular shows are the weekend shows complete with camping.
Camping is the key to growing the show. The option to camp makes the show more attractive to those who live further afield as it makes it more economical.
It also gives newbies (such as myself) a chance to really get to know their fellow club members as the alcohol starts to flow on the evenings! Then there is always that buzz and excitement in the air in the morning as everyone re-washes and preps their car for that day.
The same rule applies to traders - they're not setting up great stands for only 6-7hrs then taking them back down and going home. Plus if the total number of show goers increases due to camping available this will attract more traders.
If camping isn't available at LV would it be worth looking at moving the show elsewhere?

Speaking of traders I have to echo what blackpoolrock said. I went down to the show with a pocket full of cash ready to pick up some "show only" special offers - I ended up buying nothing more than some "Meg-wee-ars" () quick wax!
Along with getting more traders involved what about a "bring and buy" section for private sales? This was something very popular at other shows such as GTI International, VW Action, Edition etc. IIRC people paid a small amount (say £5) to enter a section of the show ground and sell all their old parts.

I was also disappointed in Revolutions "efforts". As i've mentioned in a previous thread I was excited to see their hawkeye from a distance when I first arrived (first time I'd ever seen it!). As it was 9:30ish I thought they were just setting up when I saw their one tent - apparently not, that was it! Perhaps it would have been good to get the car into the ring and get a rep from Revolution on the PA to talk about the car? Make them feel more involved more inclined to up their show appearance?

Have you considered a raised stage area? Edition had a raised stage where cars could drive on and off and they got any show goer who fancied it to drive their car onto the stage and give a quick 5min talk about their pride and joy. Again this could be where traders got to show off their demo vehicles.

I suppose my final and ultimately most expensive addition would be some sort of timed ¼ mile. Again, at GTI International (held at Bruntingthorpe) you pay your entrance fee (full weekend with camping / full weekend without camping / or sat/sun only tickets) then you pay runs up the strip. You can also buy a passenger only band on each day which lets you obviously be a passenger in someone else's car up the strip.
Obviously if the show grew into a weekend event I would expect (and happily) pay more! As it stands I felt £10 a car was flipping good considering the day I had and the effort and food provided by the club (Cumbrian Scoobs)!
I realise that our focus as a club is on charity and I fully appreciate that but as the old saying goes - you have to speculate to accumulate!!

Please don't take the above as any indication that I didn't appreciate the efforts put in to make the show what it currently is. As I said myself and my mate really enjoyed the day and the above are ONLY suggestions on how to grow the show, not improve due to it being a great day as is! (Other than more traders perhaps lol!)

Last edited by oliVeR6; 03 July 2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03 July 2013, 10:19 AM
richgreenscooby1
Scooby Regular

Firstly there was a clear winner in the club stand competition in my mind and it wasn't the one picked. I don't see what a theam ie beach or what ever it was has to do with subarus - that is our theam subarus !
Why ??????????????

Whats the issue in the Club that won ?? is it because they did something different ??

NWC have been doing this show the past 4 years and have been doing different theme's for the past 4 years , surly if there was a issue with that the organizers would of said something ??

Where you with a club on the day ???

If you read the information thread it tells you what clubs can do to win ..

There was 14 clubs and 1 member from each club judged 1-5 .. so they must of impressed 14 people with what they had done ??

Rich
Old 03 July 2013, 10:25 AM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

I know some of the winners and runners up and they do have great cars but I also have to agree with some of the above

the show cars did all look stunning and take a lot of time and money to maintain to that standard but these cars only account for 5-10% of Subaru owners and most of them only see the light of day a few times a year

then you have the other 90% that use their cars regularly it seems these cars are overlooked on the day

I also think there should be modified and unmodified grouping

and as for the club stands lets keep the theme Subaru and not some totally irrelevant theme I just don't get it

as for location I think it needs to come south a bit to get bigger crowds and more traders to attend
Old 03 July 2013, 11:00 AM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

First off thanks for the feedback so far.

Originally Posted by Dave-W-
I also think there should be modified and unmodified grouping
The problem with that is defining "modified". In realistic terms it is anything that has been changed from original factory specification. I'd be very surprised if there was one Subaru on that field that didn't have some form of modification, no matter how small.

I know the CS committee have spent a lot of time trying to entice traders to the NBO. However, we cannot force traders to turn up. Obviously those that do attend do see benefit from it but many Subaru realted suppliers are smallish firms who have to make a financial gain from the event to warrant the time and cost of attending (i.e. staff overtime, travel etc). It is certainly not the charity donation they are asked to make keeping them away.

Some of the other suggestions such as hiring a raised stage area would incur additional cost for running the show. The only way to viably do that would be for additional sponsors. Again, see the comments above about companies getting benefit from this.

The camping issue was completely out of our hands. It was a decision made by Lightwater Valley and we have to abide by that if we want to use the field.

Thanks.
Old 03 July 2013, 11:11 AM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

My Two Penneth.
Modified cars and standard cars should not be in the same classification; A standard car will never win a show and shine against a modified version of it. Also a Daily driver will never be able to compete against a car that is for Show Use only perhaps put the Modified and Show cars in their own category? I know at least one chap with an ultra clean Standard STi8 that wouldn't put his car in for the show and shine because he didn't think he stood a chance.

Judging, the judges need to be impartial from the clubs and cars, i.e. a judge should not be able to pass judgment on a car from their own club. This was mentioned to me on Sunday on more than one occasion!

Would it be worth trialing a way that the public can vote for the cars in the show and shine that way you would get the public vote for the car of the day, A voting slip could be handed out on entry to the show, you might also get more people around the ring then for the auction as well?

Michael

Last edited by simpsons !; 03 July 2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03 July 2013, 11:25 AM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark@wrx
First off thanks for the feedback so far.

The problem with that is defining "modified". In realistic terms it is anything that has been changed from original factory specification. I'd be very surprised if there was one Subaru on that field that didn't have some form of modification, no matter how small.

I know what your saying but a simple guide rule of up to say 5 mods per car or mods up to the value of £??? may work

I am sure there was separate awards for this before
how was it worked out then
Old 03 July 2013, 02:18 PM
blackpoolrock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richgreenscooby1
Why ??????????????

Whats the issue in the Club that won ?? is it because they did something different ??

NWC have been doing this show the past 4 years and have been doing different theme's for the past 4 years , surly if there was a issue with that the organizers would of said something ??

Where you with a club on the day ???

If you read the information thread it tells you what clubs can do to win ..

There was 14 clubs and 1 member from each club judged 1-5 .. so they must of impressed 14 people with what they had done ??

Rich
No I don't have an issue with the club that won, why would i ?! My point is if we are at a Subaru show what had there chosen theme got to do with subarus ? What I am saying is the way it is judged is wrong - I know there is a section within the judging guidelines for a theme but in my mind it shouldn't be there - the focus should be on the cars.
Old 03 July 2013, 02:19 PM
blackpoolrock
Scooby Regular

I know what your saying but a simple guide rule of up to say 5 mods per car or mods up to the value of £??? may work

Or how about cars that do 10k a year !
Old 03 July 2013, 02:23 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Or how about cars that do 10k a year !

hard to prove though, at the end of the day its a car show for charity so well done to lordy for raising a great amount for charity and holding a great event.
Old 03 July 2013, 02:37 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
... at the end of the day its a car show for charity so well done to lordy for raising a great amount for charity and holding a great event.
Amen to that!

PS Don't forget Lordy's helpers, he can't manage it all on his own
Old 03 July 2013, 02:44 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

i do think charging a few more traders to sell there is a good idea.
raise more money for charity and add something else to the show.
Old 03 July 2013, 03:46 PM
blackpoolrock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
i do think charging a few more traders to sell there is a good idea.
raise more money for charity and add something else to the show.
I think the problem is the lack if traders willing to attend tubs
Old 03 July 2013, 07:36 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

There was 14 judges who decided in a winner we changed this from five judges last year and we are really pleased that 14 different people from 14 different clubs think in the same way and looking at the results even further 14 judges scored the top five stand th same way so I'm really pleased that the judges have standaised thier thoughts ,read carefully the judges briefings and understood what they were looking for
As well as myself giving presentations to the judges we had 2 other former judges who also helped the 14 judges so we have a fair system that worked after 8 years of just five judges making the decision .
The theme was thought of 5 years ago and has become very popular giving the less well off clubs a chance to compete against the wealthy clubs .
A full detail of the competion was given out in the NBO info thread .

I went with a pocket full of cash and couldn't spend it ! I don't know why it's hard to get the traders and I'm sorry to say that for such a big outfit with such a great car Revolutions turnout was poor. It looked thrown up and very un professional.

I thought some of the club stands were a bit pushed out of the way.
The stands are marked out to the sizes of the cars that registered on the club registration thread, 10-15 cars. 20-30 cars and the monster 80 car plot

Could we have another 2 catogories for the cars ? How about a car voted for by the public ? And we deffo need a category for cara that are in use most days ! Not ones stored away from show to show ! I love to see the show cara but also I love the day to day cars.

Public vote is too risky when we asked for people to show a car registration in the window in the early days we counted less then 30 cars that actually followed the basic instruction we even struggle to get people to register in time for the event ,fortunely 90% of people that's atend the NBO are managed by the clubs which helps us
How many people would actually vote less then 10% which
Who could manage this process and would it be done correctly ?
And of course we could have bogus votes
Far better to select professional judges

Maybe move it completely to another part of the north and try and get some southern fairys up !
Anybody is welcome to set up an alternative Show the southern big one tried and failed after one year ,no one else has tried
We have looked at alternative venues but none can match the value for money and ease of access that LV offers to us .

With all the piping and banging going off lets have a sound off ! When people started it it got people over to them and away fro the judjing

Did a sound off competion a few years ago in the arena but was a judgeing nightmare

I personally didn't look at the other cars as its a Subaru show. How ever if there was more of our STYLE cars then maybe it could be a good thing - maybe the EVO boys ? That would be quite good

EVos atended for 4 years out of 11 and were invited again this year last year 7 turned up but due to a change of organiser on north and Yorkshire no one sorted anything out despite me posting reminders on the EVO forum

I am looking at other owner groups to fill the spaces and have had success with the Porsche ,mmc and B-SPOC group

Keep them coming
Old 03 July 2013, 07:39 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark@wrx
Amen to that!

PS Don't forget Lordy's helpers, he can't manage it all on his own
Oh yes could not manage without the hardcore 15 who dedicate themselves to many months planning for the NBO
Most of our committee have Been doing it right from the NBO 1 when we used to line the cars up and get our knees bruised in the bargain

Mark is co founder of Cumbrian scoobs with myself 13 years ago and has witnessed club development to what it is today
Old 03 July 2013, 07:44 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

No I don't have an issue with the club that won, why would i ?! My point is if we are at a Subaru show what had there chosen theme got to do with subarus ? What I am saying is the way it is judged is wrong - I know there is a section within the judging guidelines for a theme but in my mind it shouldn't be there - the focus should be on the cars.

The NBO is spilt with 2 clear competitors

Cars is for the arena

Clubs is for the club competiton and the judges look at things like club structure and the layout of the displays rather then the actual quality of the cars
People make a club not the highest spec cars as some people don't have the funds that are required to built a top car for show but are just as much an enthuasist
Old 03 July 2013, 07:45 PM
blackpoolrock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
Oh yes could not manage without the hardcore 15 who dedicate themselves to many months planning for the NBO
Most of our committee have Been doing it right from the NBO 1 when we used to line the cars up and get our knees bruised in the bargain

Mark is co founder of Cumbrian scoobs with myself 13 years ago and has witnessed club development to what it is today
Lordharding please also note I really enjoyed the day and it was run splendidly !
Old 03 July 2013, 07:50 PM
blackpoolrock
Scooby Regular

The NBO is spilt with 2 clear competitors

Cars is for the arena

Clubs is for the club competiton and the judges look at things like club structure and the layout of the displays rather then the actual quality of the cars
People make a club not the highest spec cars as some people don't have the funds that are required to built a top car for show but are just as much an enthuasist
I agree with the point your making but MY point is we are members of Subaru clubs not beach clubs ! It doesn't need to be judged on quality of cars but feel of the club, professionalism, friendliness etc etc like you say it's the people not the theme !
Old 03 July 2013, 07:51 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

I think the problem is the lack if traders willing to attend tubs
That's the trouble

We charge just £50 and I'm scared to put it up as they are small traders who are loyal and support the show every year

I would love to attract traders who would pay hundreds but there just isn't any traders who want to come despite a 11 year history ,unique event and hundreds of potential customer s

I even tasked Total impreza sales division for two years and they could not get any traders yet they had a magazine full of advertisers

Maybe I should just offer a free spot but then I could not host the event without income
Thanks to our principle sponser and our few local traders we just about break even
If it was a company that organises event that would be different but the criteria we set was for raising funds for charity and it's run by volunteers who fortunely are very well organised as you can witness by the quality of the show that we host
Old 03 July 2013, 07:57 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

I agree with the point your making but MY point is we are members of Subaru clubs not beach clubs ! It doesn't need to be judged on quality of cars but feel of the club, professionalism, friendliness etc etc like you say it's the people not the theme !
Again when you read the judges spec sheet there is a lot more then a theme
That's why we look at
Members enthusiasm
Club structure
Displays
Presentations
Feeding
Club headquarters and much more
And this year we witnessed even higher club standards as each judge goes back to Their clubs and say
"hey just seen a great idea at xxx stand lets try that next year as its a good idea "
I remember a few year ago when every club had scaleletric and play stations ,hooked up to tvs

Clubs tend to copy each other as there is only a few good ideas which raises the standards of the show that's why we drag the judges around to give them inspiration and it works
Old 03 July 2013, 08:06 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Oh yes the mods

I Remmeber having many debates with the Committe over this
We tried 3 mods ,we ignored the basics eg exhaust ,wheels ,spoilers but as the captain summed up once at silly or clock

Lordy No such thing as a standard scooby !!!

The amount of grief we have had with that over the years and eventually just a handful entered the arena for the standard class
Been down that route and don't think we ever want to trial it again

But who knows

This is the first year we have had feedback on daily drivers V show cars and this is something we will look at but we tried a super modified class 4 years ago when only 2 cars entered the arena del boy and Steve Bt
I was so gutted by just 2 cars in the arena as everyone was scared to go in and were happy in the normal classes
We tried show and shine and modified but so many people were confused by it and in the last 2 years we have had the highest entries in the arena especially classics and bug/blob /hawk section so people arent scared to have a go they just want the honour of driving into the arena
Old 03 July 2013, 08:07 PM
blackpoolrock
Scooby Regular

Again when you read the judges spec sheet there is a lot more then a theme
That's why we look at
Members enthusiasm
Club structure
Displays
Presentations
Feeding
Club headquarters and much more
And this year we witnessed even higher club standards as each judge goes back to Their clubs and say
"hey just seen a great idea at xxx stand lets try that next year as its a good idea "
I remember a few year ago when every club had scaleletric and play stations ,hooked up to tvs

Clubs tend to copy each other as there is only a few good ideas which raises the standards of the show that's why we drag the judges around to give them inspiration and it works
That's all very well but if you had taken the "theme" out of the winning stand then there is know way it would of won !
Old 03 July 2013, 08:09 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Was my first year there.
Was set out well....but I was expecting it to be a bigger show.
You want to charge the burger van a few more £'s with what he had me over for
All in all it was a good enough run out.....til lightwater bummed me out of £92 just because my lil lad wanted to go play angry birds
Don't really know a lot of you's......passed tubbs on the a1 , missed my turnoff and got nabbed by a scamera van.......*****

I even washed the car only to find another rs in prestige condition and made mine look a shed

I've calmed down over the £92 raping, the possible 3 points........

But that burger van , he's on my naughty list

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NBO feedback thread