Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fitness and Diet

Old 21 March 2014, 08:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Blushing ever so slightly...! Errrmm, thanks!
This was at a French restaurant last year; I don't have any recent pics but I look exactly the same but paler!
I know. You said that last year that it was a pic from your hols. I was joking about the grass.
Old 21 March 2014, 09:19 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 21 March 2014, 09:29 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
WOW, Banny! That looks like very dedicated work on your body, man! Well done, and absolutely amazing self-sculpting there. People should follow your advice if they want a super built body like yours.

Last edited by Turbohot; 21 March 2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 21 March 2014, 09:30 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

P.S. for Banny- Just get rid of that flowery wall paper, will you? Your kitchen is nice, though.
Old 21 March 2014, 10:07 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

This is me, as banny can confirm :'). No where near the size of him but happy with the way I'm going.
Old 21 March 2014, 10:18 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by veerinder9

This is me, as banny can confirm :'). No where near the size of him but happy with the way I'm going.
Excellent effort there, veerinder! You're a lightweight body builder, and you've done really well with all that oat eating. Honestly, very well-supported with your evidence.
Old 21 March 2014, 10:50 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Excellent effort there, veerinder! You're a lightweight body builder, and you've done really well (for a lightweight) with all that oat eating:
ooh you know how to flatter a boy
Old 21 March 2014, 10:54 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

-_- Atleast I'm trying and dedicated and have a strong mindset and will achieve my goal.
Old 21 March 2014, 10:55 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

Is that a prelude to Hodgy disrobing and hitting a few most muscular poses?
Old 21 March 2014, 11:02 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

forget the six pack - I have a party 7 -- lol

seriously though - all good stuff,

in my forties and 5 kids later I still run 2 or 3 half marathons year, ski and windsurf

and deffo nothing wrong with a bit pride in your appearance

I was lucky to be born with outstandingly good looks though
Old 21 March 2014, 11:13 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I like to get fit for the summer, why you'd want it all year round is beyond me

Seems like a vanity thing
Old 21 March 2014, 11:14 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

I was lucky to be born with outstandingly good looks though
oh and still have all my own hair
Old 21 March 2014, 11:22 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Hey, nothing wrong with lightweight bodybuilder, hodgy. Even in boxing and stuff they have featherweight and heavyweight champions, yes?

Originally Posted by veerinder9
-_- Atleast I'm trying and dedicated and have a strong mindset and will achieve my goal.
Of course, you are, veerinder. You're in a real good shape. Don't listen to hodgy. He can be a bit of a poo stirrer sometimes.

LOL he can be a jovial soul for a change sometimes, which is good.

forget the six pack - I have a party 7 -- lol
Old 21 March 2014, 11:25 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
I like to get fit for the summer, why you'd want it all year round is beyond me

Seems like a vanity thing
That's a seasonal arrangement, though. Like wimmins who try dropping their size for summer, holiday or a wedding party. But after all that is over and gone, they start to spread again.

What's the point in that?
Old 21 March 2014, 11:33 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

More pleasurable
Old 21 March 2014, 11:33 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Fair enough.
Old 22 March 2014, 12:55 AM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

And then it starts getting warm and you realise you can't hide under a big hoody for much longer.

I've got about as much muscle tone as one of these guys' little fingers!
Old 22 March 2014, 08:12 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

oh and still have all my own hair
Meeeeoew.

I have my own hair; just not much of it. Saves on shampoo.
Old 26 March 2014, 08:10 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Small Update:

At the start of all this I weighted 14.13 - 14.9 varied, but I used 14.9 as my start weight so not to kid myself I was losing more than I actually was.

My weight hasn't fluctuated which is good, it's either stayed the same or dropped off. By simply reigning in my food intake and sticking to under 2000 calories. The last few days have been a challenge for me to try and reduce the intake further, I've friends working through gone 5-2 diet, so with this in mind I had a faming day yesterday keeping my intake to a mere 635 calories, today having just had my Tea I've managed 1050 calories.

The hardest thing for me is the temptation and not eating the junk around the house. I've two young kids so crisps, biscuits and other snacks are to hand often. It's all too easy to eat quick snacking convienice foods, but the will power is holding out

Weighed yesterday am and this am at 13.11.

Rob
Old 26 March 2014, 08:58 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

The first few weeks you can lose quite a bit of weight, saying that, ideally you need to lose 2lb a week. Try and ween the kids to have less sweet stuff. Exercise is the way to burn extra calories so you don't need to starve yourself.
Old 26 March 2014, 09:50 PM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

The quicker you lose the weight, believe it or not, the quicker you will put it back on when you inevitably up the calories. First couple of weeks are always pretty decent mind you but you shouldn't be starving yourself with less than 1200 calories a day, you think you're doing yourself favours but you're not. You are slowing down your metabolism, losing water and muscle weight and not eating regularly enough. You need to be eating 5-6 x a day and aiming for 1.5-2lbs of fat loss a week. Yes, it may sound like slow progress but that's exactly what you want, slow and steady wins the race. You really need to be careful here, so I would probably advise upping your daily intake, eating regularly and letting it come off slowly.

Best of luck. What's your target weight?

Last edited by LEO-RS; 26 March 2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 27 March 2014, 10:11 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Induction at the local GYM conducted today, first official visit tomorrow at 1:30
Old 28 March 2014, 01:13 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been trying to increase protein (eggs, nuts, seeds, lean meat) and dramatically reduce high GI foods including dates and more than occasional fruit juices and not have biscuits/cake/chips/crisps etc except very occasionally, more oats/nuts etc instead, and about a glass of wine a week. I don't feel hungry all the time, and when I was handed a piece of birthday cake by a colleague I didn't really enjoy it as it felt like I was just eating sugary junk with no nutrition value. BMI as I approach 40 has become 25. I appear to be losing about 0.5kg per week and feel I can sustain it as it isn't miserable, excessively calculated or prohibitive.
Old 28 March 2014, 01:48 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Surely you realise how silly BMI is?
I'm pretty close to "overweight" with a 29" waist, under 10% bodyfat and a V02Max of a premiership footballer.
Old 28 March 2014, 02:18 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Short reply: Surely you don't think I'm that undiscerning?

Long reply: A bit of real world perspective is needed here... I'm not an athlete, neither are the vast majority of my patients. In my and their cases, BMI is a useful yardstick just as is the "normal" range of resting pulse of between 60 and 100 which also doesn't apply to athletes who often have a resting pulse that is at a level where a sedentary, unfit person has heart block and would merit a pacemaker. Most of my patients that object to the use of BMI are using that objection as part of their denial mechanisms and funnily enough it doesn't come up or is not even calculated when someone has an obvious athletic physique. The last guy that objected to BMI being used had hypertension, high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes, in the past he had been muscular but had continued to eat the same as when he used to train, added a load of junk food and was now completely sedentary. He had abnormal LFTs and an ultrasound showed a fatty liver that would have made nice foie gras. These characters are my concern, not muscular athletes. Have you considered this perspective as a jobbing GP and what would you propose as a time and cost effective alternative as a screen in people with risks for or new diagnoses of diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, thyroid disease, mental health disorders etc who are all quite well served by BMI assessments? I spend all day using tests that have a normal range and am very familiar indeed with their limitations, the artificial imposition of normal distribution curves upon them with sharp normal-abnormal cutoffs and look for consistent data from a variety of sources rather than make a judgement on one figure. In my individual case, my rising BMI that has occurred through my 30s has been associated with less exercise (redressed), relatively sedentary job (junior doctors can lose weight through the miles they walk on long shifts, now I walk only 20m to get each patient) and increasing waist size, so some correlates are there along with the BMI to say I was becoming overweight.

Last edited by john banks; 28 March 2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 28 March 2014, 06:59 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

That told me...

Surely bf %age is more accurate though?
Old 28 March 2014, 08:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Time and cost effectiveness? Your world and the world of the obese patient that is in denial are polar opposites. BMI is widely understood, very fast, often calculated automatically by clinical IT systems where you already have height entered so just need to update weight. It is also commonly used in medical studies for risk stratification, in some cases has cutoffs for obesity related drugs or surgery. BMI recording in diabetes is incentivised by performance related funding which in turn is supposed to be evidence based. The pitfalls in those using it blindly to tell athletes who know far better that they are overweight only really arise in registration medicals or insurance reports on fit people, and they usually ask for waist size, so a waist size of 30" and BMI of 30kg/m2 except in someone very short should arise suspicion.
Old 28 March 2014, 08:40 PM
grey_boy
Scooby Regular

Friend of mine runs this http://www.theway4ward.com

He is a great mentor and fitness expert
Old 28 March 2014, 09:06 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Gym ventured today, bloody knackered me entirely! Too tired to type lol zzzzzz
Old 28 March 2014, 09:17 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Ok, I'm made an amazing discovery. I've figured out how to make an omelette pretty much taste like a pizza. Use the following:

2 whole eggs
4 egg whites
35g of low or half fat cheese
Salsa to taste
Mushroom to taste
Spinach to taste

Method:

1. Spray a large pan with 5 squirts of 1 cal olive oil spray.
2. Crack eggs into bowl and whisk. I personally add some paprika and curry powder for extra taste
3. Heat the pan to a medium heat and add the eggs.
4. Having separately cooked the mushrooms in 5 squirts of olive oil add them evenly to the omelette as it cooks.
5. Rip up and add spinach evenly
6. OPTIONAL: you could also add some chicken strips or ham if you want
7. Add the cheese evenly across the omelette and allow it to cook most of the way through.
8. Spoon generous amounts of salsa evenly throughout the omelette and place it under a grill to melt the cheese and heat the salsa.
9. Remove and serve by folding in half like a Calzone. Enjoy.

Picture attached, every aspect of this was weighed on a digital scale and logged on MyFitnessPal. Total calories 400: 46g of protein, 20g of fat and 5.5g of carbs

Last edited by Saxo Boy; 28 March 2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Correcting typo spotted by JB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fitness and Diet