Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House cats

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2014, 09:59 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default House cats

If I get a house cat, is it a certainty my house will smell of cat **** without me even realising it?
Old 13 January 2014, 10:01 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
If I get a house cat, is it a certainty my house will smell of cat **** without me even realising it?
Nope, not if you keep the litter clean and refresh it every 2/3 days.

Anyone who tells you different is a dog owner who doesn't relaise that their house, clothes and cars all stink of dogs
Old 13 January 2014, 10:08 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I was thinking of getting a cat from an animal centre rather than buying a kitten. Would this be a good idea? I'm out of the house all day you but could do with a pet... the goldfish and myself have nothing left to say to each other after 4/5years!

Reason I ask about the smell is due to a friend getting a cat about a year ago. Their house in my opinion smells of cat **** yet they seemed oblivious to it.
Old 13 January 2014, 10:11 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan

Anyone who tells you different is a dog owner who doesn't relaise that their house, clothes and cars all stink of dogs
This.

Use decent litter aswell like catsan and not morrisons own
Old 13 January 2014, 10:12 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Spot on.

Cats are by nature clean animals. Keep their surroundings clean and it's not a problem!
Old 13 January 2014, 10:13 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What about a partner, at least you can tell them to wash
Old 13 January 2014, 10:15 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

I have two male cats and my house doesn't smell at of **** at all, I used to think it would but had just gotten used to it so didn't notice but everyone who comes round says it doesn't. They have a tray which is cleared regularly although their s**t absolutely stinks so it's best to clear it ASAP lol. They generally entertain themselves (sleep) while I'm out at work. A kitten might not be a good idea if you're working a lot, they usually need a bit of looking after at first.

Last edited by BULLITT; 13 January 2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 13 January 2014, 10:16 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I was thinking of getting a cat from an animal centre rather than buying a kitten. Would this be a good idea? I'm out of the house all day you but could do with a pet... the goldfish and myself have nothing left to say to each other after 4/5years!
Cats can't talk either. Get a hooker in for some company. At least they leave when your done and will only **** on the floor if you pay them to.
Old 13 January 2014, 10:20 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

We've got a house cat, only issues we hard were whilst she was on heat. Visit to the vet sorted that!

She's a clean freak, **** stinks but she does a great job of burying it in the perfumed litter we get :P
Old 13 January 2014, 10:20 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Reason I ask about the smell is due to a friend getting a cat about a year ago. Their house in my opinion smells of cat **** yet they seemed oblivious to it.
Getting an adult cat is a good idea for 3 reasons IMO

1) You get to see its personality before you choose it. A kitten is great, but can grow into a totally different cat when it becomes an adult. Just go to the rescue centre and spend some time there interacting with any cats you like the look of and see if they like you and you them.

2) Adult cats are always harder to fnd a home for than kittens so the rescue centre will be very happy with you and an adult cat gets a home.

3) Adult cats are far less mischievous than kittens which is important if you are going to be out of the house during the day.

As for the smell cats are inherently extremely clean creatures. I promise you if you keep the litter tray free from waste and change it completely every 3 days and your cat is a normal house trained cat you will have no problems with smells or soiling other areas etc.

If you don't do that then the tray will smell and the cat will do its business elsewhere. They are, as I said, clean creatures and don't take kindly to dirty toilet facilities.

If the cat is to be a house cat get it a decent playland or a very good scratching post and plenty of toys. Cats get bored if they don't have something to keep them occupied for the relatively small number of hours they are awake.

Food - try and get the cat to eat dry food ... not the biscuits the major brands make, but something like Science Diet or IAMS. This is a much cleaner food with less odour to have around and can be left down for a good while, not so soft food. Make sure the cat has plenty of clean drinking water and don't put the food/water adjacent to its toilet facilities.

Hope that helps
Old 13 January 2014, 10:25 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Yes, get your kitten from a rescue place, and make sure it's litter trained. Your house will only smell of cat ****, if your cat really pisses inside the house. People who don't change cat litter regularly may also face this smell issue. If you're gonna keep your kitty inside the house all the time, then you should change cat litter every day. Once you've got the kitten, get it neutered when it's over 6 months old. Male cats can make your house stink with their spray if you don't make them nutless. Female cats are naturally odourless. Basically, cats smell of roses. So, get one. Good luck.
Old 13 January 2014, 10:27 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

2) Adult cats are always harder to fnd a home for than kittens so the rescue centre will be very happy with you and an adult cat gets a home.

your cat is a normal house trained cat you will have no problems with smells or soiling other areas etc.
Especially hard to re-home the adult cats which aren't house trained.
Old 13 January 2014, 10:27 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Thanks F1 thats very helpful.

Cheers to the rest as well.
Old 13 January 2014, 10:39 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

This is a much cleaner food with less odour to have around and can be left down for a good while, not so soft food.
It's relevant to bring cat food in relation with this smell issue. A cat slave's house could be smelling of cat food, not the smell of the cat creature itself. Cat food- dry or wet; expensive or inexpensive; nutritious or junk- all types smell strong. You get used to it, though. It's not that bad. Cat itself doesn't stink. By the way, when your cat comes to wake you up right up to your face, and yawns, its mouth absolutely reeks, man! It's very carnivorous smell- like a tiger's cage smell, when you walk past it in a zoo.

Last edited by Turbohot; 13 January 2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 13 January 2014, 10:45 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Cats can't talk either. Get a hooker in for some company. At least they leave when your done and will only **** on the floor if you pay them to.
Cat he said not *****.

My cat's go out but they can be left in all day and they will use the litter tray. Their sh^t does buzz but I have a motion sensor air freshener on the route to their tray.

The cat home is a good shout as it should be litter trained, spey/neutered and this will lessen any smell should there be any. A good depth of litter helps but not the sh*te fullers earth clumping stuff. My cats love the Opticat Lidl stuff but they have a IAMS bag every few weeks. They also love a tin of tuna (in spring water). They are also partial to meat scraps on Sundays but pork is like giving them a vindaloo, so don't!

Current fav toy are the Ikea soft toy rats and if you rub them with mint sweets it drives them bonkers.

Give a ***** a good home.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 13 January 2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 13 January 2014, 10:46 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

If the cat turns out anything like my neighbours , it wont **** or shi7 anywhere near your place , just everywhere else . Shi7 in my gardens and **** on the van/car .
Old 13 January 2014, 10:50 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

We kick our cat out every night, she just sleeps all day, no litter tray no **** smell & she never pisses in the house, wish she did then I'd be able to justify getting rid to my Mrs.
Old 13 January 2014, 11:03 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

My cats demand to be in and out as they like. I always have litter trays full of fresh litter, all lined with scented liner, but they hardly need to use them. They also know how to use human toilet, but they prefer to do their business outside tbh. They are in for the night time when they fight and chase each other after midnight until they fall asleep. If either of them disappears galavanting all night, I start worrying about them. In the morning, my fat cat is always found snoring near my feet, and then he starts dancing on me to wake me up. Sometimes he pulls the duvet off my face, and scratches my face gently with his chubby paw to get me out of bed. Sometimes I get stinky yawn on my face, when I'm acting too lazy.

Last edited by Turbohot; 13 January 2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 13 January 2014, 11:11 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

We got a kitten 9 years ago and it was such a friendly kitten
and it grew up to be a absolutely lovely cat it was great loved it to bits.

Unfortunately some crack pot retired old lady started feeding it tuna, real chicken strips and all the fine meats around a year and half ago.

And before we knew it the cat started to stay round at hers as we were feeding it whiskers cat food and the occasional sliced ham and cat biscuits
And now the cat stopped coming back to our house
I still see him following the old lady around when she is out walking.

maybe the birth of our son had something to do with it as well as most of our time is spent looking after our child now.

still loved the cat tho and our never smelled of cat p1ss

Last edited by nizmo80; 13 January 2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 13 January 2014, 11:14 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Getting a cat from an animal shelter is a commendable idea. If you're lucky you might even get a pedigree (with TICA or GCCF papers).

I find a good quality clumping litter is best. I have a spare room as the "toilet room". I put a cat flap on the door to keep any possible smells contained. Its possible if taught a a young enough age to train them to use a human toilet. Have a look on youtube.

With patience most cats can be trained to perform tricks. I have five cats, and it looks so cool when I say "hands up if you want a sweetie". They all sit in a line holding a paw up. One of them even knows the difference between his right and his left paw on command.
Please don't feed IAMS. Read this http://www.iamscruelty.com/http:// There are much better foods out there.
Old 14 January 2014, 09:07 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

My cat has access to the outside world via an electronic cat flap in the conservatory that only opens in response to her ID chip. Before fitting this the conservatory would sometimes smell of cat pee, but this was caused by other cats coming in at night and making territory claims by spraying everywhere. The cat flap stopped all that.
Old 14 January 2014, 09:23 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Jimmy boy, go to a cats protection place, there is probably one in your area.
That's what my wife has done now twice.
Personally I'd say get a kitten, rather than an adult.
A kitten won't mind getting picked up and will soon get used to it, but an adult cat could well be a hand ripper if you tried to pick it up.

Food wise, indeed use the dry stuff, but perhaps not whiskas.
Can't remember what the stuff in the house is called, Hills I think.

As for smelly **** house, look after the cat's sh1tter tray and it be a good kitty
Old 14 January 2014, 11:35 AM
Turner Tronics
Scooby Regular

Default .

Cats make an excellent pet like the others say clean it's tray every 2 to 3 days feed it dry food and the occasional wet food,groom him/her once a week I'd say get a kitten as well as an adult might be skitso with a kitten you'll be able to see him and his personality grow

If your never home a lizard might be for you if your into that sort of thing (bearded dragons,skinks)
Old 14 January 2014, 12:04 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

house cats are fine, house won't smell but the reality is they do want to go outside and are far happier when they can do so

Re-homing is the only way to go unless you are selfish imho, so many unwanted animals...CPL have branches all over the country; http://www.cats.org.uk/find-us/

As said above ****e smells toxic but they are very clean; litter should be cleaned every time they use the tray too. Best bet by way of smell mitigation is to buy one of the covered litter trays; cats are very private whilst ****ting\pissing so the covered tray works for them too.

Only other thing regarding litter tray is too keep it well away from food\water, they are bright things and don't like their toilet near their table
Old 14 January 2014, 12:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've had both cats and dogs.

BOTH can be smelled in a house by one who hasn't either in theirs.

Cat FOOD stinks too.....
Old 14 January 2014, 12:39 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Cat FOOD stinks too.....
Indeed it does.
Especially the dried stuff, and when it gets "recycled" and ejected, that fcukin reeks too.

Apart from that smell (separate closed room), I doubt my cat makes the house smell.
It is a total house cat though, and never gets outside.

Last edited by urban; 14 January 2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 14 January 2014, 12:59 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
I've had both cats and dogs.

BOTH can be smelled in a house by one who hasn't either in theirs.

Cat FOOD stinks too.....
disagree; even when I had a pair of house cats the only time you were aware of their presence is if they had just crapped\pissed\or been fed. Even now with three outside cats the same applies but with additional caveats; if they are wet they smell until they have dried off and some of the presents they bring in smell.

Cats do not have the same dog-smell you get from erm, well dogs
Old 14 January 2014, 01:16 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Be sure to get kitted (or kittyed) out with the latest body armour

http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/17511...op_home_feat_1

Old 14 January 2014, 01:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

True; cats owner's homes/clothes smell of cat ****

Dog owners homes (and cars) smell of, god knows...fermenting dog slobber?

Plays havoc with my asthma..central heating plus pets in a unclean house = me gasping for breath

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 January 2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 14 January 2014, 01:49 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
True; cats owner's homes/clothes smell of cat ****

Dog owners homes (and cars) smell of, god knows...fermenting dog slobber?

Plays havoc with my asthma..central heating plus pets in a unclean house = me gasping for breath
lol, thats bollox.

Cats spray to mark their teritory. They also pick points, not everywhere, so clothes wont stink of cat **** at all lol.

Once they have the snip they are alot less likley to do any of that. Keeping litter clean, fresh food etc and its nto an issue.

Wet food is better than dry, high meat content food is a must. be very carefull of common brands such as gokat and such, they tend to have lots of sugar or salt in them.

I give ours natures menu, http://www.petsathome.com/shop/cat/c...-|Natures+Menu

this is our little (well not so little) monster, Porthos

Can't stop him from watching top cat i tell thee,,,,,,

Quick Reply: House cats