Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speed Awareness Courses \ Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2014, 10:05 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speed Awareness Courses \ Insurance

My wife got flashed the other day - and went to a speed awareness course costing £120!

It was her first offence...so thinking this would be a better option then having 3 points and a increase in the insurance premium!

The police are making a killing from these courses - they were fully booked for over a month around all the centers around London \ Essex!

Insurance up for renewal - and guess what question i got asked

Any of the drivers have any points , convictions or been to any related courses - You can imagine what happened once i told them yes. (Premium Increase)

They also said the Police should notify us to advise the insurance company - this they did not do..
Old 06 January 2014, 10:13 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which insurer?

I've never been asked about courses when renewing.
Old 06 January 2014, 10:17 AM
wrx5343
Scooby Regular

They are starting to ask that now, anything to give them a reason to up the cost
Old 06 January 2014, 10:19 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SamUK
My wife got flashed the other day - and went to a speed awareness course costing £120!

It was her first offence...so thinking this would be a better option then having 3 points and a increase in the insurance premium!

The police are making a killing from these courses - they were fully booked for over a month around all the centers around London \ Essex!

Any of the drivers have any points , convictions or been to any related courses - You can imagine what happened once i told them yes. (Premium Increase)

They also said the Police should notify us to advise the insurance company - this they did not do..
It's just another government sponsored stealth tax and now the insurance companies are getting in on the act. Sickening, but as usual we lie back and accept it!
Old 06 January 2014, 10:24 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

I dont think they asked online - but when i called Admiral to discuss my renewal they asked over the phone..
Old 06 January 2014, 10:28 AM
NuNu9977
Scooby Regular

Me and my wife have both done the course. Both separate insurers never asked. ??
Our course only cost £85 at the time. Beginning of last year.
But like yous say I'd rarther a course the fine n points.
Old 06 January 2014, 10:50 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I went on one of these courses the other day.

We were categorically told NOT to tell our insurance company that we have been on the course.

The records are not available to insurance companies.
Old 06 January 2014, 10:55 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

btw - I thought the course was really good. I believe everyone should go on one after a few years driving.

Certainly busted a few myths
Old 06 January 2014, 11:16 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I went on one of these courses the other day.

We were categorically told NOT to tell our insurance company that we have been on the course.

The records are not available to insurance companies.
If that really is this case then it's a bit flipping cheeky for insurers to start asking if you've been on one. However if they ask the question and you don't disclose it doesn't that amount to fraud whether or not they have records to prove it. Tricky one in the eyes of the law I'd have thought?
Old 06 January 2014, 11:24 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
If that really is this case then it's a bit flipping cheeky for insurers to start asking if you've been on one. However if they ask the question and you don't disclose it doesn't that amount to fraud whether or not they have records to prove it. Tricky one in the eyes of the law I'd have thought?
It's a case of the insurance companies 'fishing'.

I was told that the course records are confidential and not available to insurance companies. So in theory the insurers cannot ever know, that said it doesn't feel comfortable
Old 06 January 2014, 08:47 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont think they asked online - but when i called Admiral to discuss my renewal they asked over the phone..
AFAIK Admiral are the only insurers who charge extra, or even ask.
Old 07 January 2014, 08:33 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
AFAIK Admiral are the only insurers who charge extra, or even ask.
So if that is the case boycott Admiral. They will change their policy if it hurts their profits. Caveat unless you can't get insurance elsewhere then you will have to decide whether to disclose the information.

I have a colleague that was given a caution for a very trivial matter and it expired immediately under the rehabilitation act. He was advised that he has no obligation to disclose to insurance companies of the caution. Soon as you do disclose, it can be almost impossible to get cover or is heavily loaded. A extreme policy stance by insurance companies for a drunken night incidence. Insurance companies are not trust worthy!
Old 07 January 2014, 08:41 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

£65 for the speed awareness course in Cumbria
My old mother was terrified going but enjoyed it sitting with 25 active pensioners and Naughty school run mothers
She now drives at 20mph in a 30 zone
Old 07 January 2014, 10:57 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I'm going on one tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. Considering all the stupidly fast cars I've had and the stupid things I've done when younger, I was caught for going 36 in a 30 in a Toyota Verso ...

I hope it is interesting at least.
Old 08 January 2014, 12:57 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Actually, it wasn't that bad. Quite basic and simple stuff, but not condescending and presented in a reasonable fashion.

They did say at the end very explicitly to stop using Admiral insurance to show them that they shouldn't be asking about the course.
Old 08 January 2014, 01:13 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Most don't ask, but some do. I went on a speed awareness course last year.

My insurance company asked if I'd been on a course. Obviously I answered yes (To lie would invalidate my insurance). They immediately put um my premium by £180, but later reduce it by £80 when I said I'd had a better quote. B.astards.

I was told, they bump up the premium for the first year, then reduce it quite a bit on the next 4 years. Still, just a money making scheme.
Old 08 January 2014, 06:00 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would (and have) said no, same as if there'd of ask me if I have a morning w4nk
Old 08 January 2014, 06:12 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Certainly busted a few myths

Such as....?
Old 08 January 2014, 06:41 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

The twin towers where indeed destroyed by fuel laden aeroplanes flown by Saudi nationals linked to Al Qaeda
Old 08 January 2014, 07:17 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
I would (and have) said no, same as if there'd of ask me if I have a morning w4nk
But then if you have a crash, or have your car stolen, then will investigate. If found that you've lied, they just walk away. Is it really worth the risk?
Old 08 January 2014, 08:05 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Points are on your licences for three years yet insurance companies **** **** you for five!
How many years would you have to tell them you have previously been on a course.
Old 08 January 2014, 09:18 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by boxst
They did say at the end very explicitly to stop using Admiral insurance to show them that they shouldn't be asking about the course.
Whilst sounding like useful advise, it also could be construed as a way of continuing the revenue stream for SACs (rather than drivers simply taking the points and the traditional hit on premuims that would occur).

Indeed i would expect that Admiral would be inclined to take the SAC to court for misfeasance in public office (or something like that).

mb
Old 08 January 2014, 09:34 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Points are on your licences for three years yet insurance companies **** **** you for five!
This is what makes me mad.

In the eyes of the law (no less! ) they're invalid after 3 years - and you can a pay a nominal fee to get them physically removed from your licence after 4.

But the ****-esque Ins. Co.s demand you to disclose if they are up to 5 years(?!)

And now this little 'scam'... FFS!

Just who the hell do they think they are!!

Last edited by joz8968; 08 January 2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08 January 2014, 09:39 PM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
I'm going on one tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. Considering all the stupidly fast cars I've had and the stupid things I've done when younger, I was caught for going 36 in a 30 in a Toyota Verso ...

I hope it is interesting at least.
See if you can beat there track record, there may be a prize, lol. Seriously I hear they make you feel really guilty doing a few miles an hour over the limit.
Old 08 January 2014, 10:07 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by joz8968
This is what makes me mad.

In the eyes of the law (no less! ) they're invalid after 3 years - and you can a pay a nominal fee to get them physically removed from your licence after 4.

But the ****-esque Ins. Co.s demand you to disclose if they are up to 5 years(?!)

And now this little 'scam'... FFS!

Just who the hell do they think they are!!
Pretty much every insurer I deal with don't charge any extra for points over 3 years old, they just ask for convictions within 5 years to see your driving history. (Lots don't charge extra for claims over 3 years old, but again ask for 5 to see your claims history)
Old 08 January 2014, 10:25 PM
G10
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't insurance companies also share information, therefore if you've mentioned it to one company, there's a good chance others will also know. We should pose the question to some of the insurance companies on this forum - which is worse in terms of cost: take the 3 points and a fine, or pay for the course and notify your insurance company?
Old 08 January 2014, 10:31 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX

Pretty much every insurer I deal with don't charge any extra for points over 3 years old, they just ask for convictions within 5 years to see your driving history. (Lots don't charge extra for claims over 3 years old, but again ask for 5 to see your claims history)
Cheers Mols

In that case, I 'renounce' lol my (unfounded) pent up anger/frustration.

Last edited by joz8968; 08 January 2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08 January 2014, 10:31 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

If past 3 years has no baring on the premium then why ask? After all the bottom line is how much money they charge you. Why does them just knowing about it make any difference to anything?
Old 08 January 2014, 10:34 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
If past 3 years has no baring on the premium then why ask? After all the bottom line is how much money they charge you. Why does them just knowing about it make any difference to anything?
...Which would have been my next question to Moley!
Old 08 January 2014, 11:12 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
But then if you have a crash, or have your car stolen, then will investigate. If found that you've lied, they just walk away. Is it really worth the risk?
i have NOT found this to be the case

Quick Reply: Speed Awareness Courses \ Insurance