Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Those Self-Shot Facebook Photos

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2013, 11:44 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face Those Self-Shot Facebook Photos

You know what I mean. Can you imagine someone's reaction if you posted that online even 10 years ago? Now it seems the norm for people to post these vane photos of themselves either with a totally unnatural smile or weird pout. More females do it than guys. It's like they think they are modelling for a perfume poster or something. They look nothing like that in real life.

Discuss.
Old 14 September 2013, 12:02 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, that pouting thing is getting old-fashioned now. Very annoying indeed. What they get by pouting is beyond my understanding. Little girls are deluded, but even older wimmins' pics can be seen with their mouth looking like their shrivelled @rsehole. Ridiculous.

People who post their selfies repeatedly are the people that are very insecure of their looks, and want appreciation from people on line. That's my view.

It's all coming from women being valued for their looks. That's a deeper issue, but coming back to the localised spread of the disease, i.e. repeated selfies with pout are plain stupid. One or two bi-annually is fine, as no one is interested in what you looked like when you were 16. People grow old and change. Keep it real without the trout pout.
Old 14 September 2013, 12:05 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Everyone is a brand now.
Old 14 September 2013, 12:10 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Mind you, if Facebook or Twitter type of places made a rule that all wimmins and mens should post their pictures with no smile, no make up, no photochop etc. for the reality identification purpose only, then everyone would look like a prisoner on the run.

Last edited by Turbohot; 14 September 2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 14 September 2013, 12:19 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Haha great topic.

What makes me laugh is the people on facebook that post photos that are exactly the same.......

Out 'on the pi$$' on a Friday and Saturday, in the same places, with the same people, drinking the same drinks, taking self-photos whilst pulling a stupid looking face. That is their life in a nutshell lol!!

No doubt we all know someone like that!!
Old 14 September 2013, 12:27 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Old 14 September 2013, 12:43 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Everyone is a brand now.
In their own minds.
Old 14 September 2013, 06:48 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peedee
No doubt we all know someone like that!!
Too ******* right, I do. She's nearly 40 (not old imo) so I might have thought she would be a bit more mature, but no. I just cringe at the thought of her poor kids ever seeing these photos.

Most are either her on her own pouting in pub toilets or some strange poses in her house.

I was on the verge of blocking her as it was getting too much for me, but she seems to have beaten me to it. Probably because she knows we are all laughing at her.
Old 14 September 2013, 06:56 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

My daughter and her mates are doing selfys like that all the time. She keeps trying to drag me and her mum into them but I'm not interested
Old 14 September 2013, 06:57 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Old 14 September 2013, 07:01 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kwik

Old 14 September 2013, 07:02 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

its been done for years the only problem the media to upload them wasn't available.

And the old black and whites took so long to develop you would have changed by the time it was done ;-)
Old 14 September 2013, 07:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just got an invitation to respond to my MOTHER on Facebook.

Slightly shocked tbh, even girlfriends daughter has now deleted her account

And iv never even thought about joining
Old 14 September 2013, 07:33 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
My daughter and her mates are doing selfys like that all the time. She keeps trying to drag me and her mum into them but I'm not interested

Kids are kids, Steve. It's the older people looking for constant attention that gets some people's goat bleating. Their selfies makes no sense apart from them informing others via their pouted image that they have the ability to kiss, if required hence self-gratifying. Well, I'm sure we all know how to kiss. But why kiss all the fecking world virtually with your stupid pout?? What if someone doesn't want your stupid kiss? Idiots.
Old 14 September 2013, 07:36 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
I just got an invitation to respond to my MOTHER on Facebook.

Slightly shocked tbh, even girlfriends daughter has now deleted her account

And iv never even thought about joining
If your mum is physically distant from you, then what's the problem for you in joining Facebook to communicate with her? It's not some criminal underworld either, you know. You can keep your account private just for your relatives, I hear.

As long as she isn't pouting in her picture, all good.
Old 14 September 2013, 07:44 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Old 14 September 2013, 07:47 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

girls have been doing it for years (anyone remember BEBO) it looked to me like it started as a way of lessening the look of a double chin (camera held up high) and slimmer cheeks (pouting) but it seems to be all women do it now.

....basically selfies are like the wonderbra of social networking , when you see them in real life they wont look anything like you thought.
Old 14 September 2013, 08:45 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Most social media is for weirdos. I find not having a Facebook account helps me avoid any of this **** as well as pictures of people's food and moronic parents posting pictures of their sprogs
Old 14 September 2013, 08:55 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

If they display good norks, I'm all for it. A few female FB friends seem quite happy to display almost all and a few are quite attractive.

But it's definitely weird.
Old 14 September 2013, 10:18 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instagram seems to be the new thing they are posting them on as well, along with pictures of food and cats.

Old 14 September 2013, 11:28 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

It seems to be a thing with women to constantly take their selfie pics in a bar toilet, or the bathroom. I just don't get why they think its a nice picture with the fecking tampon dispenser or similar in the background!
Old 15 September 2013, 08:56 AM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Women go to the pub toilets and take loads of pics, Neil Armstrong lands on the moon and takes 1
Old 15 September 2013, 08:58 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
moronic parents posting pictures of their sprogs
EXACTLY this!

Why do people think that everyone on the planet wants to see 1000's of pictures of their kids with their faces covered in spag-bol or pi$$ing about with a tonka toy. We don't.
Old 15 September 2013, 09:08 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

EXACTLY this!

Why do people think that everyone on the planet wants to see 1000's of pictures of their kids with their faces covered in spag-bol or pi$$ing about with a tonka toy. We don't.
The way I see FB has two uses .. either kids ****ing about and trying to get a ****, or older people keeping in touch.

I'm guessing neither apply to you, so why do you have it ?
Old 15 September 2013, 09:13 AM
theboy
Scooby Regular

I use it mainly as a way of keeping in touch with family & friends that are scattered around the world. If you dont like what people post there is such a thing as a delete friend button.
Old 15 September 2013, 09:31 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by theboy
I use it mainly as a way of keeping in touch with family & friends that are scattered around the world. If you dont like what people post there is such a thing as a delete friend button.
Same .. I have maybe 50 people on mine .. it's all people I want to keep in touch with, people I can't see week to week.
Old 15 September 2013, 09:41 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
The way I see FB has two uses .. either kids ****ing about and trying to get a ****, or older people keeping in touch.

I'm guessing neither apply to you, so why do you have it ?
I fall categorically into the latter. I travel the world a fair bit and its a perfect way to keep in touch. For example, I'm in Cyprus at the moment until December. I also have a lot of friends that are posted all around the uk, afghan, Canada, Kenya amongst other places, so its perfect. Unfortunately, a lot of those guys have wives and kids, which inevitably fills my wall with $hitloads of pics of kids doing things that ingest me about as much as rubbing dog-turds into my eyes.

Last edited by Peedee; 15 September 2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 15 September 2013, 09:47 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I fall categorically into the latter. I travel the world a fair bit and its a perfect way to keep in touch. For example, I'm in Cyprus at the moment until December. I also have a lot of friends that are posted all around the uk, afghan, Canada, Kenya amongst other places, so its perfect. Unfortunately, a lot of those guys have wives and kids, which inevitably fills my wall with $hitloads of pics of kids doing things that ingest me about as much as rubbing dog-turds into my eyes.
What about their lives do you want to be kept up to date with? if not their families ?

Lunch?
Old 15 September 2013, 11:43 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Through persuasion of another member on here I signed up to facebook this week, although I was always quite proud to have avoided it, and the many rows I've seen it cause over the years.

Whilst searching through my old school friends I found a friend I shared a flat with, who was a Royal Marine. It looks as though he travels the world somehow now, loads of pics of him in Ferrari's and Lamborghini's, with guns on ranges etc but not mention at all of his children. When I caught up with his ex recently she told me he hasn't seen his Son in our hometown for 10 years. I'd be more concerned with someone who isn't proud of their kids enough to show them off. That said, I think I'll be careful who those pictures are shared with.
Old 15 September 2013, 01:11 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kwik
Through persuasion of another member on here I signed up to facebook this week, although I was always quite proud to have avoided it, and the many rows I've seen it cause over the years.

Whilst searching through my old school friends I found a friend I shared a flat with, who was a Royal Marine. It looks as though he travels the world somehow now, loads of pics of him in Ferrari's and Lamborghini's, with guns on ranges etc but not mention at all of his children. When I caught up with his ex recently she told me he hasn't seen his Son in our hometown for 10 years. I'd be more concerned with someone who isn't proud of their kids enough to show them off. That said, I think I'll be careful who those pictures are shared with.
Well said, and good example there of your mate who never posted picture of his kid but his 'things'. What a nice guy. People who don't have kids don't understand what it means to be proud of your children. Ok, it shouldn't be OTT, but if it is, what stops the reluctant parties to skip sprog pics, or not comment on them? Nothing but themselves.

There are people who think that any interaction on internet is weird, not just the Facebooking. Even the forums, because you don’t just ask subject-based questions, but you blether for recreation with invisible people on them e.g. on Scoobynet. I remember asking a person from here whether he was to join one muppet meet. He responded that he wouldn’t, because his missus thinks internet is full of weirdos, and wouldn’t let him/wouldn’t accompany him to internet meets. It did make me question why it was alright for him to banter with people here then, and whether his missus knew he posted on SN to talk bollox. What a weirdo.

With such low opinion of internet/social media and its users, I wonder why some people bother communicating on it. But if they know that even the prime minister David Cameron tweets every now and again, why slag this media off, just because all you predominantly look for is **** happening via internet, not the good stuff that also takes place.
I mean, if someone’s partner runs off with someone from internet, rather than blaming internet, they need to evaluate the state of their relationship that threw their partner to bond with invisible people who they eventually fcuked off with. It doesn’t happen to the people in secure and happy relationships.

Facebook does blatantly allow more self-disclosures, but one doesn’t have to cross their own boundaries. No one can harass you on Facebook or anywhere else unless you want to be harassed. Choose your contacts carefully, you should be ok. If you choose the bad ones, you sir are one of them.

There was a lad at work who once bragged about planning to get married to someone abroad and emigrating, her diabetes and some other things. When I met his mother five years after, I asked how he was as married, and if he had had any children by now etc. His mother shook her head and told me that he never got married, in fact he only knew the girl on the internet, never met her, and just developed a belief that she was his girlfriend to be married to him. Now that IS weird, if no harm to anyone else but to himself.

Last edited by Turbohot; 15 September 2013 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Those Self-Shot Facebook Photos