Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Royal Mail lost item

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2013, 05:00 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Mail lost item

I sent a package to an address via recorded delivery over 15 days ago.

They say the item should have been delivered and I should complete a compensation form which will kick off an investigation as well.

I've been tracking everyday and calling the customer services every couple of days.

What compensation am I entitled too. Obviously if the item remains lost they will have to pay for the cost of the item and and further compensation i'd expect.

What can I claim back from Royal Mail for my loss and trouble?
What are your experiences and any advice would be much appreciated.

I mean how do they know the true value of the item sent? Whats the process. Do I need to prove the value of the item?
Old 28 February 2013, 05:24 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Pretty simple

http://bit.ly/YCgkme

We do it quite frequently! (love RM)

Unless you pay more, the upper limit is £46

Lying about the value is insurance fraud. Might be handy to have a cost of product (not sale of product) invoice to verify your claim.

Last edited by BlkKnight; 28 February 2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 28 February 2013, 05:36 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem a few years back, When you sent it are you sure they didn't ask you the value? As if you did not up the limit to what it is worth you will only get the basic compensation back which is £46 even if you provide proof of its value as I did along with sales invoice and payment details showing both the sending and delivery address, I will not send an item anymore unless it is insured for the appropriate value and to answer the last part they are only liable for the cost that the parcel was sent as and not any further compo regardless of the situation

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 28 February 2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 28 February 2013, 05:38 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

expect royal mail to reply to any claim with something along the lines of "as you did not include XYZ" we can not process a claim if we do not hear from you with in the next 48 hours we will consider the case closed.

recorded is a complete waste of money, who told you to use it?
Old 28 February 2013, 06:03 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always use tracking!

RM are pretty fair - I was paid out with minimum fuss ...... but, any hint of a fraud and you'll be in all kinds if trouble.
Old 28 February 2013, 07:32 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Always use tracking!

RM are pretty fair - I was paid out with minimum fuss ...... but, any hint of a fraud and you'll be in all kinds if trouble.
Why would they be bothered about fraud when it would appear they dont even take internal theft from within there own company that serious ??!!

would love to know where all these " lost in the post " items actually go to ? they seem happy to pay out compensation which must turn out to amount to millions each and ever year for these missing items.
Old 28 February 2013, 07:35 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I generally use Special Delivery if the item is worth more than the Recorded Delivery value, standard insurance of SD is £500 IIRC.
Old 28 February 2013, 07:40 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

I've never had an issue claiming for lost item using recorded, just send as much info as possible to prove costs...
Old 28 February 2013, 09:11 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i normally use recorded and pay extra for insurance, if needed

they have only lost one parcel, when i filled in the claim form, they replied with a load of bull, i complained, they refused to pay out

i had returned an ipad as they sent the wrong model out, they didn't recieve it back. so they wouldn't give me a refund. so i was £250 out of pocket + the £20 it cost me to post it with 'insurance'

lying, robbing, scamming b'stards
Old 28 February 2013, 09:56 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

IIRC max compensaation is 100 x 1st Class = £60

They will try every trick to avoid paying out.

dl
Old 01 March 2013, 12:01 AM
chet123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Why would they be bothered about fraud when it would appear they dont even take internal theft from within there own company that serious ??!!

would love to know where all these " lost in the post " items actually go to ? they seem happy to pay out compensation which must turn out to amount to millions each and ever year for these missing items.
So true, good point.
Surely you pay for a service to have your item delivered to a recipients address. You are not paying bog standard delivery but an extra fee for it to be recorded and tracked.
(a) every item sent recorded or not should be delivered, is that not what there business is?
(B) when you pay to have something delivered, that is exactly what should happen
(C) if you pay extra towards a special or recorded delivery surely that is a more secure way of guaranteeing delivery.
(D) once the item is handed over to the post office clerk it is no longer in your possession so knowing its whereabouts after that is royal mails responsibility.
(E) if the item doesn't reach its intended recipient then that is royal mails responsibilities.

Is this not the reason why they increase there fees each year, people pay for an item to be delivered, royal mail lose it in transit, customer claims the full amount all because royal mail have lost it and are unable to trace it, therefore are responsible for its lose.
A lost item impacts the sender, the recipient, postage costs, packaging costs, everyone's time and effort, email exchanges, fees if bought or sold via eBay etc. Can you place a price on that, no, £46 sounds a fair compensation to me.
Old 01 March 2013, 12:35 AM
smokingkills
Scooby Regular

Many years ago I worked for RM.

Recorded Delivery travels exactly the same way as normal 1st or 2nd class mail, it is only tracked at the point of delivery & nowhere else during the journey to the recipient (unlike Special Delivery, which is separated from normal post, & tracked from start to finish).

Compensation is 100x value of a first class stamp, this doesn't cover any consequential losses & you will need to provide proof of value of the lost item. There are some items that you can't claim for with Recorded too ie cash and some other valuables.

Special Delivery is far better but you get what you pay for.
Old 01 March 2013, 11:04 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Special Delivery is not an offer to deliver it to the person named on the address label. Anyone at the address can put a squiggle on the form and take the pack. If you never receive it tough and RM will just say it was delivered so no compensation.

dl