Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Giving to wild animal charities or starving children charities?
Wild Animals, etc
77.27%
Children living in poverty, etc
22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Curious to know... giving to wild animal charities or starving children charities?

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2013, 01:34 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Curious to know... giving to wild animal charities or starving children charities?

After watching that new BBC series program called 'Africa', it really got me thinking about this...

You see all these magnificent wild animals and creatures slowly dwindling away while the human population continues to grow, and more and more buildings are being built, etc, it can only get worse for the animals? The bit where David Attenborough was talking about the future of the animals was really moving.

While on the other hand, you see adverts and programs for all these children living in poverty in countries such as Africa, it makes you wonder who deserves to be helped more?

Probably quite a touchy subject but would be interested to see your comments on this.
Old 10 February 2013, 01:41 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Animals for me, people in these African countries need to realise they can't keep doing what they are doing by having lots of babies if they can't look after them or feed them, animals on the other hand have no choice and can't be educated or told otherwise..

I'm expecting this to be another b1tch fest thread as the do gooders tell me how wrong I am.
Old 10 February 2013, 01:44 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Animals for me too. Particularly tigers!

Human beings are the reason we have to save wild animals from extinction, they'll get nothing from me!
Old 10 February 2013, 02:11 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with the above posts, animals for me and send half the population to the moon or somewhere to free up some space as its getting a bit crowded in here!

Mick
Old 10 February 2013, 02:12 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

I donate to both animals and children, but closer to home. I have small direct debits for the RSPCA and nspcc.
I'm also considering a donation to somewhere like age concern/help the aged.
Old 10 February 2013, 02:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Nothing that goes outside the UK, I'm afraid.

More likely to give to cancer aid, heart aid or blind.
Old 10 February 2013, 03:12 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Both, but I'm selective where the donations for children go.
Old 10 February 2013, 04:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wouldn't really trust giving to either,there's a management perspective here .Apart from emergencies money ain't going to do much at all
Old 10 February 2013, 04:22 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

I give nothing to both.
Old 10 February 2013, 04:36 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I started going to church at the start of the year as women, drugs and drink didn't really solve my personal problems. Last week in church I listened to two upper class *****, you know the type that would ignore you on the street (let alone a homeless person) talk about their ego boosting adventure over to Africa. For the first time God actually spoke to me and said, "mate this is bull****." Don't think I'll be back.
Old 10 February 2013, 05:16 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Phew, glad I wasn't the only one then..
Old 10 February 2013, 05:16 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

We all give to starving children wether we want to as the government does it by tax and gives our money away in foreign aid
Old 10 February 2013, 05:26 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Too many people on the planet, we're too successful a species. Everyone is breeding too much everywhere. It isn't a matter of being able to afford it as money isn't real. More people born, more resources used, more food needs to be produced, so more deforestation, more carbon released, more fckucked up seas. Loads of important causes and charities. I would encourage everyone to support their local Wildlife Trust which will spend money on conservation in your county.
Old 10 February 2013, 05:28 PM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

I don't give money to charities monthly, i do however organise/participate in charity events which I contribute to. I wouldn't give any money to charities working outside the UK. We have enough problems with children being abused and living in horrific conditions here which get airbrushed over. Sort them out and I might think twice.
Old 10 February 2013, 05:35 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

We give to the PDSA because animals are defenceless, suffer the most and are much more deserving.

We never give to childrens charities.
Old 10 February 2013, 05:48 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Charity starts at home
Old 10 February 2013, 05:48 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....and indeed finishes : D
Old 10 February 2013, 05:49 PM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
We give to the PDSA because animals are defenceless, suffer the most and are much more deserving.

We never give to childrens charities.
And children aren't defenceless?

They have no choice but to be brought up in the manner in which their parents show them - neglect, abused, starved and with no opinionated voice (and that's just in our small country).

PDSA prioritise pets, so not always wildlife. How are the living conditions and quality of life with these pets potentially any different to the suffering some young children have in these homes?

Not saying you shouldn't give to animal charities, just food for thought
Old 10 February 2013, 05:54 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I never give to people based charities. You might think that's a heartless decision but I have my reasons.
Here's an example, I have an aunt with advanced Alzheimer's. She has never been offered any help from charities dealing with this illness.
I saw something on telly recently asking for donations for a charity dealing with Epilepsy. My partner is epileptic (I'm her carer) I've never seen any charity beating down her door to help her.
Don't get me started on cancer charities. I believe these so called charities are the reason we don't have a cure for cancer. Think about it;To many peoples livelihood depends on charitable funding. If they came up with a cure, they'll be out of a job.
I believe that very little (if any) of the money raised actually goes to a good cause, due to so called "administration" fees and so on.
I do however donate to animal based charities, Dogs trust, and Cats protection. Also my local wildlife rescue centre.
Old 10 February 2013, 06:08 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Our NBO group last year donated to the injured firefighters charity and when we saw the excellent work and equipment they purchased with our NBO money we were delighted

I like animals but worried about how much goes to national administration but quite happy to support our local animal charity shop

Starving children
Different matter
I sponser some of the misses relatives in phillipines but the trouble is they can't seem to help themselves and keep on having more children as its "gods way ' instead of pulling out at the last minute or putting something on the end of it

The religion they follow so closely is half of Asia and Africa's problem

Flame suit on
Ten pager coming up
Once the heavyweights come on later to stir it up

Fi fan has checked in allready
Old 10 February 2013, 06:11 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by saints_forever
And children aren't defenceless?

They have no choice but to be brought up in the manner in which their parents show them - neglect, abused, starved and with no opinionated voice (and that's just in our small country).

PDSA prioritise pets, so not always wildlife. How are the living conditions and quality of life with these pets potentially any different to the suffering some young children have in these homes?

Not saying you shouldn't give to animal charities, just food for thought
Like i said, I'll carry on giving to animal charities, you save the food for thought for the African warlords
Old 10 February 2013, 06:22 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
The religion they follow so closely is half of Asia and Africa's problem
This !!!

Originally Posted by lordharding
Once the heavyweights come on later to stir it up

Fi fan has checked in allready
You'd miss me if I left
Old 10 February 2013, 06:23 PM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

Like i said, I'll carry on giving to animal charities, you save the food for thought for the African warlords
My post has nothing related to Africa
Old 10 February 2013, 06:37 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Proud to say that my family support Oxfam in its brilliant works across the lobe, we also support/sponsor a child in Haiti. And no I do not prioritise animals over people.

I think we should realise that we are part of the problem, simply saying that they need to breed less is mindless, WE in the rich parts of the world need to consume less of the planets resource, only then can we start lecturing others on sustainable living!
Old 10 February 2013, 07:11 PM
BadBadLeeroyBrown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scunnered
Personally, I never give to people based charities. You might think that's a heartless decision but I have my reasons.
Here's an example, I have an aunt with advanced Alzheimer's. She has never been offered any help from charities dealing with this illness.
I saw something on telly recently asking for donations for a charity dealing with Epilepsy. My partner is epileptic (I'm her carer) I've never seen any charity beating down her door to help her.
Don't get me started on cancer charities. I believe these so called charities are the reason we don't have a cure for cancer. Think about it;To many peoples livelihood depends on charitable funding. If they came up with a cure, they'll be out of a job.
I believe that very little (if any) of the money raised actually goes to a good cause, due to so called "administration" fees and so on.
I do however donate to animal based charities, Dogs trust, and Cats protection. Also my local wildlife rescue centre.
I do have to take abit of exception to your comments on Cancer Charities, having lost my grandmother and dad to cancer and also contacting cancer myself and being involved in clinical trials, Macmillan nurses are fantastic, the help and support they gave (and still do during regular testing) myself and my family was wonderful! We could not thank them enough.

I also would never give to animal charities, nor to overseas charities, we have enough problems in this country to sort out!

I also have a bit of a problem with what I tend to call 'non-charities' these being charities which I find it hard to see how they help anyone, but I wont start on these (i.e. the eden project) for fear of a monumental rant comencing!!
Anyways, just my 2 peneth, for what its worth.
Old 10 February 2013, 07:23 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Proud to say that my family support Oxfam in its brilliant works across the lobe, we also support/sponsor a child in Haiti. And no I do not prioritise animals over people.

I think we should realise that we are part of the problem, simply saying that they need to breed less is mindless, WE in the rich parts of the world need to consume less of the planets resource, only then can we start lecturing others on sustainable living!
Have you got the 'stats' for that?
Old 10 February 2013, 07:36 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I think I remember PSLewis once saying 'Poverty and starvation in poorer countries is Mother Nature's way of keeping the population down'..... I think it was him anyway and it was something along the lines of that.
Old 10 February 2013, 07:44 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Have you got the 'stats' for that?
Yep 2 key ones

The United States, with only 5% of the global population, uses 30% of the world's natural resources. Other major industrialised countries also consume natural resources to a far greater extent than an equitable distribution would allow
Only about 25% of the world's people live in developed countries, yet they use 80% of its non-fuel minerals.
Old 10 February 2013, 08:04 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

and if we paid the true cost of products, made using raw materials exported from the third world, they would be much much more expensive

but it is coming tbh , food on the rise (unless you like Romanians putting in the ingredients) Oil/Petrol/Energy - all on the rise

it is all going to get more and more expensive

in fact I hope thing get so expensive that cvnts on this forum have to emigrate to Africa
Old 10 February 2013, 08:17 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Animals for me....