Winter Tyres .......

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2013, 10:25 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davyboy
OK. So you didn't say this.....
It was what we grown ups call an analogy. Look it up.

At 14 degrees summer tyres would have worked better today. As an advocate of safety I assume you changed yours back in case a child stepped out? Maybe not.
Sorry to p1ss on your chips (again), but today I actually went out in the Scoob.... on summer tyres. And tomorrow if it's fine again I will go out in the Merc also on summer tyres as it needs a run out. Then next weekend/week when the temp drops again I will be back in the Volvo on the winter tyres. Thanks for asking though

Listen, and I am repeating myself here, I don't doubt they are better in the snow, or to use Tel's definition - treacherous conditions, but for most UK users who do not need to drive in such conditions, they are a not required.
15 pages and you still don't get it

You are an enthusiast, and fair enough you have them. I'd suggest you get some cup tyres for the summer though.....now they do make a difference when pushing on!
Winter tyres are nothing to do with being an enthusiast, I just want to be able to drive safely in winter and get up the hills to my house in the snow/ice...

As for the cup tyres you will forgive me if I take your suggestion with a pinch of salt as after your performance on this thread I am not sure you have much worthwhile to offer.
Old 29 January 2013, 10:31 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
No, what I actually said was you won't feel the difference until you need them. For example when you need to make that emergency stop in a few less metres to avoid killing that child that runs out in the road in front of you... even you must see that as a good thing... maybe!
So should it be illegal to use summer tyres during the winter months? Surely then that those who do think it should be mandatory during the winter months would, for example, back local authorities moves to lower the 30mph speed limit to a blanket 20mph limit in all built up areas.

Last edited by jonc; 29 January 2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 29 January 2013, 10:38 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
So should it be illegal to use summer tyres during the winter months? Surely then that those who do think it should be mandatory during the winter months are would back local authorities moves to lower the 30mph speed limit to a blanket 20mph limit in all built up areas.
I have never said they should be a legal requirment, I am just arguing against those who say they make little or no difference.

I don't think they can be made legal, it's not practical and anyway how many other factors come into play on the safety aspect... how good your brakes are for instance.

Your question on speed limits is an interesting one. On safety grounds I would have no issue with a 20mph limit in many urban areas, but I would offset that with an increase in the motorway limit and a cessation of the laregly unnecessary reduction of national speed limit roads to 50/40mph.
davyboy
Scooby Regular

It was what we grown ups call an analogy. Look it up

You can no longer be taken seriously, that is the dumbest thing I have read in a long time for so many reasons

Thanks for that little soundbite.
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

OK. So you didn't say this.....

At 14 degrees summer tyres would have worked better today.
Pay attention at the back! 14 degrees air temperature, but probably still under 10 degrees road temperature.
Old 29 January 2013, 10:40 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Blimey, it's getting complicated now!

Maybe F1 Fan should have been in another car then!
Old 29 January 2013, 10:47 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Blimey, it's getting complicated now!
Not complicated at all. Read any informed article about the difference in compound composition of summer and winter tyres, and it'll always say it's road temperature that matters.

It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to see why, either, but then I'm reasonably certain you're not one of those
Old 29 January 2013, 10:47 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

You can no longer be taken seriously, that is the dumbest thing I have read in a long time for so many reasons

Thanks for that little soundbite.
Now now, don't get all 'toys vacating pram' about it, after all it's not my fault you didn't understand a ridiculously simple analogy or even that it was an analogy.

I try not to waste my time with those not worthy of it, somehow I have let my guard down again in this thread. Oh well
Old 30 January 2013, 06:27 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Not complicated at all. Read any informed article about the difference in compound composition of summer and winter tyres, and it'll always say it's road temperature that matters.

It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to see why, either, but then I'm reasonably certain you're not one of those
Ok I get it. I have to wait until road temp is higher before I will feel my summer tyres working better than they have done.
Old 30 January 2013, 08:56 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow how can so many people in northern Europe be so wrong?

Maybe we should just apoint Davyboy as the European transport minister due to his superior knowledge on road conditions and mrmadcap as his executive assistant. They are both far wiser and knowledable than the hundreds of thousands of Northern Europeans, Canadians and Americans, not to mention TÜV engineers and tyre manufacturers who waste their time and money on winter tyres.
Old 30 January 2013, 10:08 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Letting us make our own mind up if we buy winter tyres seems to work perfectly well.

There are places that get far, far worse winters than we do and it isn't law either. Cleveland Ohio with it's lake effect snow is one example I can give.
Old 30 January 2013, 10:15 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I'm never wrong, I'm never wrong, I'm never wrong.........
Old 30 January 2013, 10:18 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Letting us make our own mind up if we buy winter tyres seems to work perfectly well.

There are places that get far, far worse winters than we do and it isn't law either. Cleveland Ohio with it's lake effect snow is one example I can give.
Yeah it works just great where I live near Reading.
Basically, every plonker like you on summer tyres decides "I don't need winter tyres in snow, I can drive to work with snow and ice on the road because I am awesome and the road will doubtless be gritted".

Queue enormous traffic jams and 3-4 hour journeys to get to or from work (which normally take 15 minutes) because:
a) Aforementioned selfish idiots weren't driving a vehicle fit for the conditions but chose to drive it anyway.
b) Idiots get stuck and can't get traction on their summer tyres, or worse, slide and hit someone else blocking the road, resulting in...
c) Tailbacks which affect people whose vehicles *were* fit for the conditions not being able to get home either. Nice.

That was this year and 2010 by the way.

Oh but yeah letting people make their own choice works fine
I despair

In short - it would work if people without summer tyres didn't try and drive their vehicles on roads covered in slush, snow and ice.
However, they do, and therefore I'd heavily fine every one of them who caused a jam or accident because their irresponsible behaviour has a knock on effect that ruins everyone else's day.

How would you like it if you were stuck on a motorway for 18 hours because of an accident caused by a lorry that had jackknifed due to its summer tyres?
You must surely have seen that on the news because you seem to be so clued up on everything else....
Please provide an explanation.....because obviously his summer tyres MUST have been fit for purpose, he must have done something else wrong....

Last edited by MrNoisy; 30 January 2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 30 January 2013, 10:42 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Not like me as I can choose to not use my car if it snows. I can work from home and my employeers are fine with this. I already did this a couple of times this year.

I'd agree, if they use the cars in the snow, then fine them - sounds like a solution. The same for lorries.

Why not write to your MP?
Old 30 January 2013, 10:49 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

MrNoisy you are flogging a dead horse mate.

Surely a car on summer tyres in snow is the same as a car on bald tyres in rain, so how come one is allowed but the other isn't, when neither of them are fit to be on the road?
Old 30 January 2013, 10:57 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

^^ Cost of enforcement.
Old 30 January 2013, 11:59 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MrNoisy
Basically, every plonker like you on summer tyres decides "I don't need winter tyres in snow, I can drive to work with snow and ice on the road because I am awesome and the road will doubtless be gritted".

Queue enormous traffic jams and 3-4 hour journeys to get to or from work (which normally take 15 minutes) because:
a) Aforementioned selfish idiots weren't driving a vehicle fit for the conditions but chose to drive it anyway.
b) Idiots get stuck and can't get traction on their summer tyres, or worse, slide and hit someone else blocking the road, resulting in...
c) Tailbacks which affect people whose vehicles *were* fit for the conditions not being able to get home either. Nice.

I despair

In short - it would work if people without summer tyres didn't try and drive their vehicles on roads covered in slush, snow and ice.
However, they do, and therefore I'd heavily fine every one of them who caused a jam or accident because their irresponsible behaviour has a knock on effect that ruins everyone else's day.

How would you like it if you were stuck on a motorway for 18 hours because of an accident caused by a lorry that had jackknifed due to its summer tyres?
You must surely have seen that on the news because you seem to be so clued up on everything else....
Please provide an explanation.....because obviously his summer tyres MUST have been fit for purpose, he must have done something else wrong....
So you think that there should be a blanket enforcement and a law passed to make it illegal to drive on summer tyres in winter? You think that the choice of should be taken out of everyone's hand.?
Old 30 January 2013, 12:24 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

It was what we grown ups call an analogy. Look it up.
OK

No it's like expecting someone to buy a warm waterproof coat as it might be less than 7 degrees C and wet for 5 months of the year
Bad analogy

I feel like a fish out of water
Good analogy

You won't feel the difference between premium summer tyres and budget summer tyres until you start pushing
Not an analogy

Got it, thanks
Old 30 January 2013, 12:31 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

OK

Bad analogy

Good analogy

Not an analogy

Got it, thanks
No, clearly you haven't.

Please don't project your lack of more than a very basic grasp of the English language into thinking I am wrong. I'm not.... you are just clearly incapable of understanding what I am saying! I can't write it any simpler, it's just not worth it.

Last edited by f1_fan; 30 January 2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 30 January 2013, 12:46 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
So you think that there should be a blanket enforcement and a law passed to make it illegal to drive on summer tyres in winter? You think that the choice of should be taken out of everyone's hand.?
On balance, from a safety point of view, this would be the ideal scenario. The Germans with their high speed roads don't just do it for fun. You're coming from some sort of civil liberty angle and i just don't quite see why, it's a bit like asking when they said you have to have a red brake light on a car, would you have protested against that too?
Old 30 January 2013, 12:50 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

It has been emotional reading so many pages full of tit-for-tat over tyrology.

Look at this little ****, though.:

He needs to understand the worth of tyres in general.
Old 03 February 2013, 09:16 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Wow - no wonder I dont come on here very often these days - there's either some serious trolling going on or some seriously thick people around.

Winter tyres are better below 7 degrees - that doesn't mean they are worse above 7 !!! What it means is that summer tyres become less effective below 7 whereas winters keep on working.

They are broadly comparable up to the mid 20's before winters start to tail off & summers have a clear advantage.

I get continually bored of this debate with people who run their cars on a shoesting - I keep hearing that winter tyrtes are a waste of time / not needed in this country etc etc.

If you read all the research, it's obvious - if you've ever run winter tyres, you'll never go back.

I understand that for some people, there is a financial compromise and that's fine - just admit that rather than telling everyone that they are a waste of time.

If tyres were free - then most people, at least most people who are part of a motoring forum, would run with them - anything else is a compromise - which you are free to make.
Old 03 February 2013, 11:29 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alistair
I understand that for some people, there is a financial compromise
As I said earlier, no matter which tyres I have on the car, I am wearing out rubber whenever I drive. It doesn't matter whether it is one set which I will replace after 15-20k miles, or two sets I switch between which last me 30-40k miles shared, I will use just as much rubber. The fact that I happened to have some spare steelies means I didn't have to buy additional wheels, and the winter tyres for my car were pretty cheap anyway. The confidence that I won't be stranded anywhere, won't miss any time at work losing money, and most importantly that my family are safer (as long as some summer tired plank doesn't plough into us after we stop safely and they can't ) makes the minimal bottom line expenditure well worth it for me.

I advise finding out the minimum wheel size you can fit to your car (usually dictated by what will clear the brakes) and go for a profile which then brings the diameter back to as near the OE size to retain speedo/gearing accuracy. This will give you a higher side-wall which is better for winter use, plus reduce the cost per tyre as smaller sizes tend to be cheaper. Scrap yards, eBay and owner forums are a good place to source discarded steelies or unused spare wheels at a good price.
Old 04 February 2013, 12:06 AM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrNoisy

I despair

I'd stopped reading this thread because I was so fed up with some of the rubbish being spouted, but this is spot on. We have exactly the same problem here in Wycombe - the traffic is heavy at the best of times, and a bit of snow makes it total chaos. As I've said several times, I wouldn't make winter tyres mandatory, but I would make it illegal for people to drive on snow and ice in summer tyres. That way everyone has a choice - if you don't need to drive in snow then you don't pay the added expense, otherwise you need to pay the extra £80 a year it costs to swap tyres around.
Old 04 February 2013, 09:29 AM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
as long as some summer tired plank doesn't plough into us after we stop safely and they can't
I pointed that out here..

https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...&postcount=347

and was told it was the most ridiculous post in the thread.
Old 04 February 2013, 10:40 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldun
If you have winter tyres on and brake successfully and the car behind doesn't and rear ends you, that makes a negative for having them fitted.
but isn't the point that, if you don't have winter tyres on and brake un-successfully

you may hit/kill something -- and that is a negative too
Old 04 February 2013, 04:49 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I pointed that out here..

https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...&postcount=347

and was told it was the most ridiculous post in the thread.
And it's still ridiculous - the difference between stopping in an emergency and having something run into you from behind versus running into something in front of you then being sandwiched by something hitting you from behind. I know which I would prefer.

Or do you think that everyone with winter tyres brakes hard all the time, even when it isn't necessary, just to show off how good their tyres are?
Old 04 February 2013, 04:57 PM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

Is having your car rear-ended a positive point or a negative point?
Old 04 February 2013, 05:53 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A positive point - as their insurance will have to pay up, their rad will probably get trashed but you can probably drive away with some rear end damage, while their rear end then gets taken out by the next turkey behind running summer tyres in the snow
Old 04 February 2013, 08:19 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Is having your car rear-ended a positive point or a negative point?
This must be a troll ... but I'll bite one more time. Having your car rear-ended is obviously a negative point, but having winter tyres doesn't increase your chances of having your car rear ended (as you originally implied).

Quick Reply: Winter Tyres .......