Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Very old people driving

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2012, 07:21 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very old people driving

Just nearly got taken out by an old guy in our village, I was only doing about 20 mph thank god when he pulled straight out and turned left in front of me. Thing was he didn't even look right and I think because of his age which at a guess was certainly over 85 I don't think he could turn his head sufficiently.

Worst bit though was as he turned left he went straight over the kerb and thank goodness there was nobody on it.

Now do I tell the Old Bill as I have his reg and risk him losing his independence or do nothing and then find out later that he's really hurt somebody?
Old 18 December 2012, 07:29 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyBaker
Just nearly got taken out by an old guy in our village, I was only doing about 20 mph thank god when he pulled straight out and turned left in front of me. Thing was he didn't even look right and I think because of his age which at a guess was certainly over 85 I don't think he could turn his head sufficiently.

Worst bit though was as he turned left he went straight over the kerb and thank goodness there was nobody on it.

Now do I tell the Old Bill as I have his reg and risk him losing his independence or do nothing and then find out later that he's really hurt somebody?
Was he driving a Honda Jazz by any chance? :
Old 18 December 2012, 07:29 PM
Dale17
Scooby Regular

Tricky one, no one likes a grass mate, but if he's a danger then maybe.
Old 18 December 2012, 07:32 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Youv got to report him, it's his choice if he kills himself, but what if he wipes out a child or even a group of them. Sounds like he's not competent to drive anymore & comes a point when we have all got to stop for safety's sake.
Old 18 December 2012, 07:35 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

It seems that the police have very few powers to prevent lesser able older people driving around, there was a recent case where a bloke in Colchester killed a girl on the pavement several days after his local plod suggested that he stopped driving.
Old 18 December 2012, 07:41 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mouser
Was he driving a Honda Jazz by any chance? :
Mouser it was and I'm NOT joking.
Old 18 December 2012, 08:19 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Mouser it was and I'm NOT joking.
Not much of a guess really.

You should mention the incident to the Police especially as you have his number and let them decide what to do.
Old 18 December 2012, 08:37 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, feel a bit bad but I have kids.
Old 18 December 2012, 08:47 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You sometimes have to be cruel to be kind
Old 18 December 2012, 08:59 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Never seen the point of old people, they're practically f*****g dead anyway !

Shamelessly stolen from 'Stella Street' !
Old 18 December 2012, 09:20 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, feel a bit bad but I have kids.
I was involved in a similar incident recently where an old guy was endangering himself & others & the police responded to multiple complaints by contacting the family who persuaded him to sell the car & use public transport. His Nephew told me that he only drove 4 miles to the supermarket once a fortnight & had now realised he was better off financially & evryone was safer.
Old 18 December 2012, 09:23 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
I was involved in a similar incident recently where an old guy was endangering himself & others & the police responded to multiple complaints by contacting the family who persuaded him to sell the car & use public transport. His Nephew told me that he only drove 4 miles to the supermarket once a fortnight & had now realised he was better off financially & evryone was safer.
Good result or everybody
Old 18 December 2012, 09:43 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

ive had at least 3 very near incidents with elderly drivers. one reversed into my stationary car! he then got out and told me i had driven into the back of him, even through i was sitting with engine off, in a parking bay waiting on my wife??!

then ive had 2 cases of old people coming onto a large roundabout, then turning right into oncoming traffic and driving onto on coming traffic, people were swerving/braking to avoid him as he just trundled by almost unaware?

once you loose confidence or ability imfraid its an accident waiting to happen - with the risk of severe consequences
Old 18 December 2012, 09:44 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Very old guy just missed me in the supermarket car park today. If he can't spot a three tonne van, how can he spot a toddler?
Old 18 December 2012, 09:48 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

in most other areas of life youd be expected to express ability, why its not applied to people with up to 2 ton missiles.

its not a dig at old people really, but it should be risk assessed and actions taken to reduce the risk/harm to others.
Old 18 December 2012, 09:52 PM
stuwoac
Scooby Regular

this does annoy me this is why they get given a free bus pass

I know down here buses are a bit lacking but I would be very happy to take a elderly neighbour to the shop if I was going if they asked

also many older drivers I meet in the lanes drive 200% better that the new age lady with the car that is way to big for them and cant reverse
Old 18 December 2012, 09:56 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

:lol[QUOTE=stuwoac;10911302]this does annoy me this is why they get given a free bus pass

I know down here buses are a bit lacking but I would be very happy to take a elderly neighbour to the shop if I was going if they asked

also many older drivers I meet in the lanes drive 200% better that the new age lady with the car that is way to big for them and cant reverse.
Old 18 December 2012, 10:09 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Old people should be put down at birth

========

But do they actully cause many serious accidents?

dl
Old 18 December 2012, 10:20 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've almost been taken out on the motorway due to an elderly man. He was in the slow lane, I'm over taking in the middle lane at about 80mph, and he suddenly decides to pull into the middle lane to overtake a lorry (obviously didn't check any of his mirrors and no indication). Anyway, I had to suddenly swerve into the fast lane and almost hit a car in that lane.
Old 19 December 2012, 03:34 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I've almost been taken out on the motorway due to an elderly man. He was in the slow lane, I'm over taking in the middle lane at about 80mph, and he suddenly decides to pull into the middle lane to overtake a lorry (obviously didn't check any of his mirrors and no indication). Anyway, I had to suddenly swerve into the fast lane and almost hit a car in that lane.
Do you honestly think you have the right to complain when you were breaking the law by driving at 80MPH?

Was the car in the outside lane overtaking you at more that 80mph, or were you "undertaking" him at the time?

Les
Old 19 December 2012, 04:19 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Again priceless
Old 19 December 2012, 04:21 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

The actual cheek of daring to drive at 80 on a motorway. Bring back the death penalty
Old 19 December 2012, 04:31 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Leslie
Do you honestly think you have the right to complain when you were breaking the law by driving at 80MPH?

Was the car in the outside lane overtaking you at more that 80mph, or were you "undertaking" him at the time?

Les

come on Les what ever speed he was doing does not give the old chap a right to pull out without checking it was safe does it?

I saw an OAP reversing out of a maccys drive through the other day he was so flustered that he could/wouldn't listen to droves of people trying to get him to go through the correct way! In the end white van man ran over and took his keys out of the ignition calmed him down then explained the correct way to drive through!

My dad is 74 and already his lane discipline is terrible and he drives so slow it causes a trail of disaster behind him! Me and my brother have siad we will take his keys off him if it's gets any worse, in a country where the government even tells me how I should feed my children the mind boggles there is no law for being to old behind the wheel.
Old 19 December 2012, 11:32 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I like the ones who pull up to the petrol pumps and it physically takes them a good 10 minutes to get out of the car and lean heavily on the rear wing whilst they fill it up, then shuffle slowly to the shop.

They must have the reactions of a cat.... NOT!
Old 19 December 2012, 11:41 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

That does not suprise me, the time it takes them to pick A apple or banana when in a supermarket beggers belief.
Old 20 December 2012, 02:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The actual cheek of daring to drive at 80 on a motorway. Bring back the death penalty
No, more like the cheek of complaing about someome's driving when you were breaking the law yourself!

Les
Old 20 December 2012, 03:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by specialx
come on Les what ever speed he was doing does not give the old chap a right to pull out without checking it was safe does it?

I saw an OAP reversing out of a maccys drive through the other day he was so flustered that he could/wouldn't listen to droves of people trying to get him to go through the correct way! In the end white van man ran over and took his keys out of the ignition calmed him down then explained the correct way to drive through!

My dad is 74 and already his lane discipline is terrible and he drives so slow it causes a trail of disaster behind him! Me and my brother have siad we will take his keys off him if it's gets any worse, in a country where the government even tells me how I should feed my children the mind boggles there is no law for being to old behind the wheel.
Well there is the point that if the elderly man was doing 70, he could be said to be within his rights not to be expecting someone to be overtaking him, although I certainly agree that one should always check before pulling out of the lane.

If you are breaking the speed limit while overtaking on a motorway I reckon that you as the overtaking driver should be expecting the possibility that the other car might well pull out into your lane and you should be ready for that. He has not answered the question I asked and that is was he undertaking the car that he said he nearly hit?

I reckon that although the elderly chap pulled out in front of him, his own driving style was not so immaculate that he has the right to complain!

Les
Old 20 December 2012, 03:51 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Hard to take a car away from the elderly but sometimes the best thing.
My mum had an accident and told me she was reversing out of her drive & the car shot backwards across the road and hit a tree.....all by itself.
She lives on a busy road & I dread to think of the consequences if someone was coming down the road................could have wiped out someone totally innocent.
Old 20 December 2012, 04:02 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Once you reach 75-80 you should have to have a bi-annual driving refresh test, just to make sure your still able to control a vehicle.
Old 20 December 2012, 07:19 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by Leslie
Well there is the point that if the elderly man was doing 70, he could be said to be within his rights not to be expecting someone to be overtaking him, although I certainly agree that one should always check before pulling out of the lane.

Les
So you're driving at 70 miles an hour and you switch lanes without indicating, or it seems looking, and some sort of defence would be you shouldn't expect anyone to be driving above 70, or indeed any speed if they're already beside you? Seriously just 10mph over a 70 limit?

That's even if the guy who nearly got hit was in fact doing 80, an indicated 80 is usually out at least 5 mph over the real speed.

I can't for the life of me see why there isn't a competency test, or at least a proper eye test, for someone over the age of 70/80.

Quick Reply: Very old people driving