Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Well I'm sick of the rain......

Old 19 October 2012, 04:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Well I'm sick of the rain......

Dunno what you've had in the UK, but here in the Limousin, I've been here19 days, and it's rained on all but four of them.

And when I say rain, I mean it's raining when I get up and still raining when I go to bed, it just doesn't know how to stop.

And last night we had un tempete: 120kph winds, quite a few trees down and overhead wires brought down. The EDF workers have had to suspend a strike to go out and repair it all, LOL.

Add to that, it's so dull that today, working inside, I've had my LED headlight on all day.

What a miserable year.
Old 19 October 2012, 04:37 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I wonder how far down France you need to be to avoid our westerly drenching we get here...
Not much can you can do with easterlies , in fact I think we're importing it from you lot
Old 19 October 2012, 04:43 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its been glorious sunshine here all day, the local pub called earlier to say they've ordered too much real ale again and could we all go and help them drink it for free... with the incentive of a full roast diner.
Old 19 October 2012, 04:45 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Old 19 October 2012, 05:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Dunno what you've had in the UK, but here in the Limousin, I've been here19 days, and it's rained on all but four of them.

And when I say rain, I mean it's raining when I get up and still raining when I go to bed, it just doesn't know how to stop.

And last night we had un tempete: 120kph winds, quite a few trees down and overhead wires brought down. The EDF workers have had to suspend a strike to go out and repair it all, LOL.

Add to that, it's so dull that today, working inside, I've had my LED headlight on all day.

What a miserable year.
Where is the Limousin anyway?

Les
Old 19 October 2012, 05:21 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Where is the Limousin anyway?

Les
Limoges way. Part of the Massif Central.

Known for having the oldest average population of any department in France. Not sure if this is why Alcazar chose it, so that he would fit in.
Old 19 October 2012, 05:21 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Its been glorious sunshine here all day, the local pub called earlier to say they've ordered too much real ale again and could we all go and help them drink it for free... with the incentive of a full roast diner.

Alright for some...
Old 19 October 2012, 07:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scarey
Limoges way. Part of the Massif Central.

Known for having the oldest average population of any department in France. Not sure if this is why Alcazar chose it, so that he would fit in.
Has it really?
There are lots of old houses for sale as the aging population dies off and no-one wants them.

The Limousin is made up of three deaprtments, the Creuse, the Correze and the Haute Vienne. I'm in the latter.
4km south you are in the Dordogne, and 16km west you are in the Charente.
Old 19 October 2012, 07:37 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

What's a full roast diner?

Loads of rain here too, lots of wormhills on the lawn and that's unusual here.*

* Boring gardening fact, apologies.
Old 19 October 2012, 07:38 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

age ageing
Old 19 October 2012, 07:48 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

Has it really?
There are lots of old houses for sale as the aging population dies off and no-one wants them.

The Limousin is made up of three deaprtments, the Creuse, the Correze and the Haute Vienne. I'm in the latter.
4km south you are in the Dordogne, and 16km west you are in the Charente.
My parents live just north of Riberac, and it's the same there. The oldies die and the youngsters have moved to cities to find work. Parents live in a village of about 15 houses. There were two deaths over last winter and another 5-6 on the way out. Village is being decimated. Youngest adults in village are mid-forties.
Old 20 October 2012, 11:08 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

And STILL it rains. POURED all yesterday, and was still doing it when I got up. Hasn't let up since, and apparently won't until later MONDAY!

The problem is that the young French don't want the older houses, they want new, fully electrified, fully insulated, energy-saving, and why not?

So their parents die, the house is unwanted, but the law here won't allow a house to be left to just one sibling, so ALL have to agree what to do with it.

Result: most are left derelict.

Hence the French government offering VAT at only 7% if you are getting a French-registered worker to do up your property, and that includes on materials.
Old 20 October 2012, 11:24 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Thought there was some new tax coming that might dissuade British from second home there
Old 20 October 2012, 11:51 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I have to work outside, it's not been the best year for the weather! Lost count of the times I've been drenched this year.
Old 20 October 2012, 11:52 AM
scarey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Thought there was some new tax coming that might dissuade British from second home there
Only if you rent it out.

If you just use it as your own second home, no change.
Old 20 October 2012, 11:57 AM
scarey
Scooby Regular

The problem is that the young French don't want the older houses, they want new, fully electrified, fully insulated, energy-saving, and why not?

So their parents die, the house is unwanted, but the law here won't allow a house to be left to just one sibling, so ALL have to agree what to do with it.

And the modern houses are souless, identikit, horrid things.

If one of the siblings wants the property sold they can force the sale.

Our family will have fun and games with this at some point. French grandmother hits 100 on 29th December and is very frail. She has nine kids, all still around. Getting a consensus on what to do with the family house, that grandad had built, should be interesting.
Old 20 October 2012, 12:28 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

And STILL it rains. POURED all yesterday, and was still doing it when I got up. Hasn't let up since, and apparently won't until later MONDAY!

Hence the French government offering VAT at only 7% if you are getting a French-registered worker to do up your property, and that includes on materials.

I heard that the last and current generation in France have been renting more and buying less. I was told that they simply can't afford to buy houses in France, hence they rent. So, derelict houses can be rented out to the needy. You say everyone wants modern house. I presume that derelict houses will get renovated in modern ways to meet the current choice. Not good imo if the old house loses its ancient character.

And the modern houses are souless, identikit, horrid things.

If one of the siblings wants the property sold they can force the sale.
I can imagine. What a shame. Will the French Govt, lawfully preseve/protect the special, antique characters of the old properties, or they are not bothered? I hope they do, unless the old characters were totally rubbish and impractical.

I saw a stunning, medieval house around here in N. Wales, UK yesterday. It will be up for sale in two years' time. I'd love to buy that house; at least in my dreams.

French grandmother hits 100 on 29th December and is very frail. She has nine kids, all still around. Getting a consensus on what to do with the family house, that grandad had built, should be interesting.
That is really cool! Will she get a card for hitting 100 from someone special in the French Govt.; like the Queen's card in the UK? 100 years of living? Wow!

About rain, not much rain here last week.

Last edited by Turbohot; 21 October 2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 20 October 2012, 12:34 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Nice and dry here in Scunthorpe Jeff Infact I've been on the tredder to work all this week due to lack of precipitation
Old 20 October 2012, 01:22 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TelBoy
What's a full roast diner?
It's an Americanprism
Old 21 October 2012, 09:05 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's cannibalism...
Old 21 October 2012, 10:57 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

It's roastism.

In connection with the topic of this thread, the o.p. has rainism, windism and seasonal affective effectism.

Perpetual rain is miserable, I agree. Miserablism, that is.

Sun is shining here again today. We better make the most of it until the winter pulls the dark curtains and sends the sun backstage.