Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outrun a police chopper!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-16201608.html
Old 23 August 2012, 04:59 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess they caught him when he attempted cornering!
Old 23 August 2012, 07:28 PM
dirtybarry
BANNED

how fast can a chopper fly

Last edited by dirtybarry; 23 August 2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 23 August 2012, 07:44 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

From watching police interceptors they say the choppers can do up to 160 odd mph.

Whether they would deem the chase safe or back off i don't know.
Old 23 August 2012, 07:54 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Nicolas Cage did it in Gone in 60 Seconds...
Old 23 August 2012, 08:05 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy got 9 years - should have asked for a speed awareness course instead!
Old 23 August 2012, 08:15 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

he got 9 years but only banned from driving for 4 hmmmmmm,
wouldnt a 12 year driving ban be a better warning to others too
Old 23 August 2012, 10:26 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Thing is he's got a very long record. The car itself, 180mph from an A5?

Well organised though, car started out white. They re-sprayed it silver and then again to black.

Also, the media coverage of this waste of skin is making him out like some sort of hero "fastest ever driver" bet a few chavs will be after that record now.

And I think 'copters can do about 165 forwards although usually to keep track they just need to climb higher and zoom the camera in - they climb like ****!

5t.
Old 23 August 2012, 10:56 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by fivetide
Thing is he's got a very long record. The car itself, 180mph from an A5?

Well organised though, car started out white. They re-sprayed it silver and then again to black.

Also, the media coverage of this waste of skin is making him out like some sort of hero "fastest ever driver" bet a few chavs will be after that record now.

And I think 'copters can do about 165 forwards although usually to keep track they just need to climb higher and zoom the camera in - they climb like ****!

5t.
Why would a heavily modded RS5 not be able to reach this?

Agreed though, the feat would have been far more impressive if the car had been his, rather than nicked from someone who actually earned the money to pay for it.
Old 23 August 2012, 11:00 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

9 years for that but some illegal immigrant rapist gets only 6?!
Old 23 August 2012, 11:01 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

It had a Lamborghini engine with all the trimmings to go with it such as AP racing brakes etc from what I heard on a radio report so was more than good enough for thoses speeds!
Old 23 August 2012, 11:19 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
9 years for that but some illegal immigrant rapist gets only 6?!
There's a severe lack of facts in this thread as usual for SN. He didn't get 9 years 'just for 180mph'. How about the fact the car was nicked and had been used repeatedly for burglaries and thefts over a number of months and the piece of scum has a history as long as my arm.

Not to mention the lives he put at risk during the extensive chase due to his reckless driving.

How many times have we seen on SN someone's car being nicked and everyone saying they hope the thieving scum gets what he deserves?

9 years is the very least this piece of **** deserved.
Old 23 August 2012, 11:53 PM
wrx_driver
Scooby Regular

All very interesting, but! WTF is this about?

Old 24 August 2012, 12:07 AM
stevie2011
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
There's a severe lack of facts in this thread as usual for SN. He didn't get 9 years 'just for 180mph'. How about the fact the car was nicked and had been used repeatedly for burglaries and thefts over a number of months and the piece of scum has a history as long as my arm.

Not to mention the lives he put at risk during the extensive chase due to his reckless driving.

How many times have we seen on SN someone's car being nicked and everyone saying they hope the thieving scum gets what he deserves?

thought this myself i read the full news report as did you?? don't just read the title ?????
Old 24 August 2012, 06:41 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

i read he got 4 years on the sky site
Old 24 August 2012, 09:45 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Why would a heavily modded RS5 not be able to reach this?
Because sometimes power isn't everything? what mods does it have? Apart from removing the 155 mph limiter of course?

Just wonderign as they are only 'estimating' and the car was destroying itself at the speeds it was covering (hence all the sparks when it hadn't hit a stinger)

Whoever did set it up clearly didn't do it for that sort of speed. Stiffer springs needed I think!

5t.
Old 24 August 2012, 02:29 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fivetide
Because sometimes power isn't everything? what mods does it have? Apart from removing the 155 mph limiter of course?

Just wonderign as they are only 'estimating' and the car was destroying itself at the speeds it was covering (hence all the sparks when it hadn't hit a stinger)

Whoever did set it up clearly didn't do it for that sort of speed. Stiffer springs needed I think!

5t.
As said above, the owner (a millionaire) supposedly had a Lambo engine fitted after he bought it. I assume that is correct, as the V10 out of the Gallardo is used in the R8 (I think?), so I would imagine there is a degree of compatibility. It seems likely that you could get 180 from a 550bhp RS5. It must have had the Lambo gearbox etc as well, so certainly should be geared for that speed.
Old 24 August 2012, 03:00 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

+1
Old 24 August 2012, 03:33 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Thought exactly the same myself mate, I wasn't "biggin him up" when I started the thread, was just posting for anyone to see who may have missed it.

IMHO 9 years isn't enough
Old 24 August 2012, 03:55 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

yeah it was a Lambo engine , only 2 in the country. He resprayed it to avoid police while doing various crimes. Anyone know where to see the video ? Pics in the Sun have it shooting flames out of its twin exhaust
Old 24 August 2012, 04:02 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Old 24 August 2012, 04:20 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
As said above, the owner (a millionaire) supposedly had a Lambo engine fitted after he bought it. I assume that is correct, as the V10 out of the Gallardo is used in the R8 (I think?), so I would imagine there is a degree of compatibility. It seems likely that you could get 180 from a 550bhp RS5. It must have had the Lambo gearbox etc as well, so certainly should be geared for that speed.
Ah, more like it. The original story I read was simply 'modified' whilst I doubted he'd been down Halfords for some stick on tat it left a lot to the imagination.

5t.
Old 24 August 2012, 06:18 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

as i thought , not flames , just the heat signature from the tailpipes.
Old 25 August 2012, 02:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dirtybarry
how fast can a chopper fly
There is an inbuilt limitation with helicopters because of the difference of relative airspeed on the rotor blades between the forward travelling blade on one side of the aircraft and the rearward travelling one on the opposite side. That would produce a difference of lift in between each side and would cause a rolling moment on the aircraft. This rolling moment would have to be countered by the aircraft controls and there would be a limit on that capability.

In the early days it used to be a limit of about 100 mph but I have no idea on the sort of modern speed limit with design improvements. I can certainly understand that 180 mph could have made life difficult for the police helicopter anyway.

Les
Old 25 August 2012, 02:54 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Have a look here for the fastest helicopter (258mph) although not exactly a conventional 'chopper' being coaxial and having a pusher propeller:

A police helicopter would be doing pretty well to do 180mph as an Apache (depending on model) can only reach around 180mph.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 25 August 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 25 August 2012, 03:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Have a look here for the fastest helicopter (258mph) although not exactly a conventional 'chopper' being coaxial and having a pusher propeller:

http://youtu.be/_37ZvRsF0Yc

A police helicopter would be doing pretty well to do 180mph as an Apache (depending on model) can only reach around 180mph.
Thats interesting of course. The twin contra rotating rotors would cancel the earlier problem I described as well as using seperate thrust propellers. Its certainly fast anyway!

Les
Old 25 August 2012, 03:22 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Well the lynx appears to be the fastest conventional helicopter at 248mph although it was heavily modified from standard form to set the record in 1986.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 25 August 2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 25 August 2012, 04:04 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Leslie
In the early days it used to be a limit of about 100 mph but I have no idea on the sort of modern speed limit with design improvements. I can certainly understand that 180 mph could have made life difficult for the police helicopter anyway
Isn't one of the problems the fact that the forward rotating blade can start to hit the speed of sound - which changes the aerodynamics slightly

I've been in a Gazelle which can get close to 200mph (although not when i was in it) - but traveling in straight lines also has it's advantages (the pilot did Liverpool to Gisburn in some-teen minutes compared to an hour-plus even on empty roads).

mb
Old 29 August 2012, 05:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
Isn't one of the problems the fact that the forward rotating blade can start to hit the speed of sound - which changes the aerodynamics slightly

I've been in a Gazelle which can get close to 200mph (although not when i was in it) - but traveling in straight lines also has it's advantages (the pilot did Liverpool to Gisburn in some-teen minutes compared to an hour-plus even on empty roads).

mb
Yes you might well be right, that would make the original problem worse if shock waves were being generated on the advancing blade.

The good old Harvard trainer had a fairly large diameter propeller and if you were doing circuits and bumps by yourself and forgot to put the propeller into fully fine pitch during the pre landing checks, when you opened the throttle on the runway to take off again, it was a bit like being in top gear and it did not want to accelerate. The standard reaction was to put the prop into fine pitch but when you did, the revs went up well over the top before the prop started to control the engine revs. The prop tips would go sonic with a great screeching noise and your instructor could always hear it in their crew room. By the time you landed finally you would find that you had been fined $5 Canadian which went into the "rumble" fund. At least the rumble fund was used for a big party when the course was finished and we all had got our wings!

Les
Old 29 August 2012, 06:12 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Pah, Airwolf would've caught that Audi, 345mph!

Last edited by Torquemada; 29 August 2012 at 06:14 PM.