Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Holiday to Thailand?

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2012, 11:11 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holiday to Thailand?

Me and the other half thinking of booking a holiday to Thailand...... For any of you on here who may have been, when's a good time of the year to go?

We was thinking of November time initially but from what we have found so far this can be a wet time of the year if we travel down south to the beach areas? Looks like jan/feb seems to be pretty much dry everywhere?

We wouldn't want to spend two weeks all on the beach, maybe fly into bangkok, spend a few days there then go up to Chiang Mai for the mountains/jungle etc then fly down to the south, Phuket or somewhere to chill for a few days before heading home?

Have only looked briefly so far but if anyone can give some good pointers on times/places to go etc, I would be interested to hear your experiences

Thanks
Old 08 May 2012, 11:16 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I wonder how many posts will appear before Thai "girls" are mentioned... Cue the 50 something recently divorced brit men with a bit of money set aside...

Sorry, back on topic. This is somewhere I'd love go to with my misses too

Nick
Old 09 May 2012, 12:17 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I lived there for 18 months, and loved it

Bangkok is great for the experience, but the rest of the country is so different from it

Anytime between mid November and late May early June is fine as far as weather is concerned. The rainy season proper is usually over by the end of October, and the humidity skyrockets through July into September

I personally would recommend mid April though, purely because Songkran (Thai New Year) is a fantastic time to be there

Whilst in Bangkok, you must visit the Death Railway, it is both staggering and humbling in equal measure
Old 09 May 2012, 01:43 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Double bag.
Old 09 May 2012, 09:19 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Double bag.
Na - triple
Old 09 May 2012, 02:25 PM
stuart2008sti
Scooby Regular

Flew into bangkok stayed at the landmark hotel which was nice,have a tailors underneath which are very good.Pay a little more when you arrive and have cocktails and H'orderves from five to seven.Breakfast is also upgraded to anything and everything.Walk around bangkok or tuk-tuk eat drink and take in the atmosphere. Flew down to phuket and stayed on the laguna resort from which you can go on lots of excursions,plenty to do and see so need atleast two weeks.
Old 09 May 2012, 02:30 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Been going to Thailand for over 15 years and Phucket has gone totally down hill, I go to Malaysia instead now, reminds me of how it use to be and is still cheap.... Thailand is one big tourist trap these days
Old 09 May 2012, 02:53 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

I loved the islands int the south but Bankok was polluted and nasty in my opinion.
Old 09 May 2012, 03:09 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

this is on my "top 10 places to go before i peg it" list

also has the best joke ever.........
Ahem...... cough.

Man who walks sideways through airport is going to Bangkok
Old 09 May 2012, 03:14 PM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

going there next week, well singapore for a few days then to thailand will let u know lol
Old 09 May 2012, 05:02 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Stayed at the Royal Bangsak Beach Hotel in Khao Lak a few years back, beautiful Hotel with a virtually deserted three mile section of beach. I went in late November for 3 weeks and the weather was spot on (not wet and not humid), think this is just before the high season starts so not too busy either.

Khao Lak is a designated national park area north of Phuket so not too touristy, lots to do. Jungle waterfalls, Elephant trekking, trip to Similan Islands, Kayaking down Mangrove Rivers. Best to stay bed & breakfast only as eating out is so cheap, also hired a scooter to get out to more remote parts and hidden beaches.
Old 09 May 2012, 05:51 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As said previously November through to May is ok weather wise, personally I prefer Feb..

Bangkok is an amazing city, lots going on. If you go there get a hotel on Sukhumvit as the skytrain is there and makes getting about easy. Good nightlife in this area too. For shopping there is Siam Square and the MBK centre.
The Grand Palace is well worth a visit, but watch out for all the money making scams that go on around there.

Instead of Phuket you may want to consider Krabi, Koh Samui or Hua Hin. In the past I've had some good deals from here www.think2travel.com

HTH
Old 09 May 2012, 06:11 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

When you pay for a Bowie make sure there's no Adams apple!
Old 09 May 2012, 06:28 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We visited Chiang Mai in 2000. We had a local guide courtesy of Scoobynet for the 10 days we were there. There was a chap on SNET from OZ who was starting a business in Chiang Mai hiring out rally cars to tear around the jungle roads. He arranged for his local business partner to be our guide, and he took us everywhere - including a day in Burma and a visit to the Karen tribe village, amongst loads of other places.

Chiang Mai was very friendly, the scenery is incredible, and the place was so cheap for decent hotels and food, drink etc.
Chiang Rai was a bit more challenging, no-one spoke a word of english and the streets weren't very well lit - so we headed back to Chiang Mai again.

Our guide 'Tony' made our trip, and neither he, nor the SNET chap in OZ would accept any payment for our guide - we did give him a good tip and a bottle of Johnny Walker though.

Love to go back again, probably do a week in the north again and a week by the coast in the south.

Last edited by Skoobie Dhu; 09 May 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09 May 2012, 10:22 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info.....

For those who have been to the southern areas (beach resorts), have any of you been in November time? I would prefer to go this year, so would have to be November/early Dec I guess, rather than waiting until next year but it seems to be the southern areas which the stats show high rain fall, is this the case or not? For example, a broacher we have lists Phuket/that area, as having about 22cm rain in Nov compared to only 3-4cm in Jan/Feb.

As yet we haven't had much time to look at other areas so I mentioned Phuket as it comes up quite a bit in broachers etc but no plans to necessarily go there if better places to go.

Madmerlin - love the joke

Last edited by stiscooby; 10 May 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09 May 2012, 10:27 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Old 10 May 2012, 08:44 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

I reckon the women should all carry big signs stating 'Death to all ye who enter me bareback'
Old 10 May 2012, 02:59 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

What you have to remember about rainfall in the tropics is that when it does rain it comes down hard, everything gets wet and the roads flood quickly but within the hour everything can be dry again. Did see some rain in November 2 or 3 times over a 3 week holiday but when you are in tee shirt and shorts it just doesn't matter, dry again in no time.
Old 10 May 2012, 11:20 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules

Lol, I'm going with the girl friend so I ain't got to worry about any lady boys, she 100% female