Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2012, 10:15 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who likes fast jets?

http://youtu.be/y7bmv4xptFA?hd=1

A mate took this vid. You would not believe how loud these things are. I've actually stood behind a Tornado when it does this and it is utterly, utterly mind blowing.

(listen to all the car alarms going off as it takes off!!!)
Old 08 May 2012, 10:22 PM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

loudest jet ive herd its the F22 raptor! that was in a different league, made the eurofighter sound like a citroen 2 cv lol
Old 08 May 2012, 10:26 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

This was the view from behind a Tornado:

Last edited by Kieran_Burns; 08 May 2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08 May 2012, 10:34 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
This was the view from behind a Tornado:

It was amazing sitting by the runway at RAF Waddington, waiting for a Tornado to take off. I can still remember the rumble shaking my internals!
Old 08 May 2012, 10:42 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Who likes fast jets
Yep, I have my jacuzzi turned up to "max"

Old 09 May 2012, 01:47 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Only a little helicopter engine I know, but I've stood behind or alongside this bad boy and it's predecessors many times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-6wp3B24Hk

You can't stand behind it anymore though, not since they put the pit garages in
Old 09 May 2012, 04:24 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would not believe how loud these things are.
Yes I would, been behind an F16 that was doing a similiar thing, I could only describe it as "beyond noise", loud is too soft a word.

Also remember a F-111 doing a low fast flypast with wings swept back, just seemed to cut through the air with no sound, then you get this barrage of sound a few seconds later.

There's a video on youtube somewere, of a Vulcan flying at an airshow towards the crowd, and a lady in the crowd can be heard saying something like "Aw you can even hear it", just before the Vulcan banked and climbed very steeply, making any shouting totally inaudible.

Love the disappearing man at 0.54, LOL.
Old 09 May 2012, 07:46 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGrJyhWmH0U

I've never heard anything louder than that. That includes the F22 and being 30 yards away from Concorde as she rotated. When this thing sat on the end of the runway, with all four burners lit, people were running away from the fence, the noise was that loud.
Old 09 May 2012, 01:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

http://youtu.be/y7bmv4xptFA?hd=1

A mate took this vid. You would not believe how loud these things are. I've actually stood behind a Tornado when it does this and it is utterly, utterly mind blowing.

(listen to all the car alarms going off as it takes off!!!)
Its a lot better from the inside though.

Les
Old 09 May 2012, 01:31 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Well I'm sure the Nimbys around Northolt are loving the Typhoons based there at the moment.
Old 09 May 2012, 08:26 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I would see the odd GR4 overfly my place or travel along the coast during the summer months - they make an awesome noise even when they aren't trying! Cant help going outside for a look at them, occasionally see two or three is close formation.

I have boarded many CH47's which make a racket at close quarters - doesn't compare to the noise of fast jets though.
Old 09 May 2012, 09:18 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDvyD...feature=relmfu
Old 09 May 2012, 09:24 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I was working on the Brize approach when what I thought was a Herc appeared in the distance. I turned back round and carried on talking, the rest cup their ears. A Tornado passes over at low level (it was about 150 yds from touchdown) and I felt like I was getting an aural reaming. It really did shake me to my boots.
Old 09 May 2012, 10:27 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Myles
I was working on the Brize approach when what I thought was a Herc appeared in the distance. I turned back round and carried on talking, the rest cup their ears. A Tornado passes over at low level (it was about 150 yds from touchdown) and I felt like I was getting an aural reaming. It really did shake me to my boots.

Ahem:

(please note the BUSHES at the bottom of the shot)

I ducked. It scared the crap out of me!
Old 09 May 2012, 10:29 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Oh and this:

As a former SR-71 pilot, and a professional keynote speaker, the question I'm most often asked is "How fast would that SR-71 fly?" I can be assured of hearing that question several times at any event I attend. It's an interesting question, given the aircraft's proclivity for speed, but there really isn't one number to give, as the jet would always give you a little more speed if you wanted it to. It was common to see 35 miles a minute. Because we flew a programmed Mach number on most missions, and never wanted to harm the plane in any way, we never let it run out to any limits of temperature or speed. Thus, each SR-71 pilot had his own individual “high” speed that he saw at some point on some mission. I saw mine over Libya when Khadafy fired two missiles my way, and max power was in order. Let’s just say that the plane truly loved speed and effortlessly took us to Mach numbers we hadn’t previously seen.

So it was with great surprise, when at the end of one of my presentations, someone asked, “what was the slowest you ever flew the Blackbird?” This was a first. After giving it some thought, I was reminded of a story that I had never shared before, and relayed the following.

I was flying the SR-71 out of RAF Mildenhall, England , with my back-seater, Walt Watson; we were returning from a mission over Europe and the Iron Curtain when we received a radio transmission from home base. As we scooted across Denmark in three minutes, we learned that a small RAF base in the English countryside had requested an SR-71 fly-past. The air cadet commander there was a former Blackbird pilot, and thought it would be a motivating moment for the young lads to see the mighty SR-71 perform a low approach. No problem, we were happy to do it. After a quick aerial refueling over the North Sea , we proceeded to find the small airfield.

Walter had a myriad of sophisticated navigation equipment in the back seat, and began to vector me toward the field. Descending to subsonic speeds, we found ourselves over a densely wooded area in a slight haze. Like most former WWII British airfields, the one we were looking for had a small tower and little surrounding infrastructure. Walter told me we were close and that I should be able to see the field, but I saw nothing.

Nothing but trees as far as I could see in the haze. We got a little lower, and I pulled the throttles back from 325 knots we were at. With the gear up, anything under 275 was just uncomfortable. Walt said we were practically over the field—yet; there was nothing in my windscreen. I banked the jet and started a gentle circling maneuver in hopes of picking up anything that looked like a field. Meanwhile, below, the cadet commander had taken the cadets up on the catwalk of the tower in order to get a prime view of the fly-past. It was a quiet, still day with no wind and partial gray overcast.

Walter continued to give me indications that the field should be below us but in the overcast and haze, I couldn't see it.. The longer we continued to peer out the window and circle, the slower we got. With our power back, the awaiting cadets heard nothing. I must have had good instructors in my flying career, as something told me I better cross-check the gauges. As I noticed the airspeed indicator slide below 160 knots, my heart stopped and my adrenalin-filled left hand pushed two throttles full forward. At this point we weren't really flying, but were falling in a slight bank. Just at the moment that both afterburners lit with a thunderous roar of flame (and what a joyous feeling that was) the aircraft fell into full view of the shocked observers on the tower.

Shattering the still quiet of that morning, they now had 107 feet of fire-breathing titanium in their face as the plane leveled and accelerated, in full burner, on the tower side of the infield, closer than expected, maintaining what could only be described as some sort of ultimate knife-edge pass. Quickly reaching the field boundary, we proceeded back to Mildenhall without incident. We didn't say a word for those next 14 minutes.

After landing, our commander greeted us, and we were both certain he was reaching for our wings. Instead, he heartily shook our hands and said the commander had told him it was the greatest SR-71 fly-past he had ever seen, especially how we had surprised them with such a precise maneuver that could only be described as breathtaking. He said that some of the cadet’s hats were blown off and the sight of the plan form of the plane in full afterburner dropping right in front of them was unbelievable. Walt and I both understood the concept of “breathtaking” very well that morning, and sheepishly replied that they were just excited to see our low approach.

As we retired to the equipment room to change from space suits to flight suits, we just sat there-we hadn't spoken a word since “the pass.” Finally, Walter looked at me and said, “One hundred fifty-six knots.
What did you see?” Trying to find my voice, I stammered, “One hundred fifty-two.” We sat in silence for a moment. Then Walt said, “Don’t ever do that to me again!” And I never did.

A year later, Walter and I were having lunch in the Mildenhall Officer’s club, and overheard an officer talking to some cadets about an SR-71 fly-past that he had seen one day. Of course, by now the story included kids falling off the tower and screaming as the heat of the jet singed their eyebrows. Noticing our HABU patches, as we stood there with lunch trays in our hands, he asked us to verify to the cadets that such a thing had occurred. Walt just shook his head and said, “It was probably just a routine low approach; they're pretty impressive in that plane.” Impressive indeed.

Little did I realize after relaying this experience to my audience that day that it would become one of the most popular and most requested stories. It’s ironic that people are interested in how slow the world’s fastest jet can fly. Regardless of your speed, however, it’s always a good idea to keep that cross-check up…and keep your Mach up, too.
from: http://tailspinstales.blogspot.co.uk...blackbird.html
Old 09 May 2012, 10:49 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Only these do it for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djd1p...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1ShTUVIzCI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=annkM6z1-FE

Mart

Last edited by mart360; 09 May 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09 May 2012, 10:57 PM
lamby2k12
Scooby Regular

Am in the milletry and stood behind a tornado and when I was in afghan you could hear them but never see them look at the apache gunships awesome piece of kit!!
Old 09 May 2012, 11:03 PM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

Yeah all well and good but hey,

The scooby would "have them in the twisties" lol
Old 09 May 2012, 11:23 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lamby2k12
Am in the milletry
Are you sure you're not in the RAF???
Old 09 May 2012, 11:50 PM
lamby2k12
Scooby Regular

Lol 100% lol 1 r.t.r is my reg
Old 10 May 2012, 01:40 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

theyre not allowed to fly lightnings are they anymore, such a shame
Old 10 May 2012, 02:10 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

it said lowest flying ever on the title, i`m not going to disagree
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UntN_...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gx2y...eature=related

Last edited by stedee; 10 May 2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 10 May 2012, 02:37 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

sorry got u-tube sidetracked looking for a particlar low flying vid but came across this, check out the guy who catches the baseball ,its not far in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKWoP...eature=related
Old 10 May 2012, 03:01 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Only a little helicopter engine I know, but I've stood behind or alongside this bad boy and it's predecessors many times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-6wp3B24Hk

You can't stand behind it anymore though, not since they put the pit garages in
Old 10 May 2012, 08:24 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I thought Tornados sounded more impressive off to one side rather than directly behind...either way it's still a fun way to pass time! And I'm still not convinced that Typhoon is louder
Old 10 May 2012, 12:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Ahem:

(please note the BUSHES at the bottom of the shot)

I ducked. It scared the crap out of me!
The Tornado does have a fairly flat approach over the runway threshold but the Lightning is considerably flatter. It looks as though you are going to hit the ILS aerials at first on the final part just before you cross the threshold of the runway.

Les
Old 10 May 2012, 03:55 PM
mach
Scooby Regular

tornado's louder than typhoon,used to work on the flight line so know first hand(used to be a good joke to get the apprentices to stand in the wrong spot and turn a tornado short onto the runway and blow the lad on his **** oh how we laughed) but lightening's louder(first aircraft i worked on, got moved to jaguars after about 6 months) find a clip of one doing a fast vertical climb from takeoff thats "REALLY" impressive,think there are still a couple flying in south africa.
Old 10 May 2012, 04:38 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

These were somewhat on the noisy side....

F4s from back in the late 80s/early 90s from Wattisham.

Cheers

Ian

Old 10 May 2012, 04:42 PM
mach
Scooby Regular

loudest thing i ever had anything to do with was a visiting antonov on the way to a trade show and had some problem,had ear plugs and ear defenders aswell just to here yourself think.
Old 10 May 2012, 06:37 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i live next to raf northolt and 4 of these take off and land every day for the last 2 weeks , the sound is epic and at night afterburners are amazing

Quick Reply: Who likes fast jets?