Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Need help with airport express and sonos !!!!!!

Old 15 April 2012, 07:50 PM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with airport express and sonos !!!!!!

I'm having a few problems with my apple / sonos gear and would really appreciate some help in sorting the issue.........

My set up is as follows :

I have an iMac and use a BT hub connected to a time capsule. I use the time capsule for my wireless internet around the house and the wireless function is turned off on the BT hub. I have my sonos system connected to the time capsule via an ethernet cable. Everything has been working well until recently. When i try to open my controller on the iMac I get this message..........

This version of the Sonos Controller requires Macintosh OS X version 10.5 or 10.4. Click “Check For Updates” to see if there’s a new version of the Sonos Controller available which will work with this version of OS X.

My version is 10.7.3

When I check for updates I get this message........

Your computer network is not allowing your Sonos system to connect to the Internet.

For help solving this problem, please go to
faq.sonos.com/AutoIP

Now the only two things I have done recently are :

1. Add an airport express to extend my wireless range. The airport express seems to be working properly as it certainly has extended my wireless range (which I use with an iPad and really need the extension for certain parts of the house as it used to drop out from time to time), but I keep getting these message's and can't open my controller on the mac !

2. Added a network printer which again is connected via ethernet into my time capsule !

What am I doing wrong ???????????????????????????

The strange thing is to that the sonos system works but it just won't open on the mac.
I'm guessing its something to do with adding the express but know nothing about networking, IP address, DHCP bla bla bla....... All things Ive been reading about on the net...... and below is an extract I found !!!!! I think I'm on the right path but just don't know how to fix it !!!!!

AutoIP: If a DHCP server is not detected (usually because there is no router or the DHCP server has not been configured) and the request for an IP Address is not fulfilled, the Sonos will automatically assign itself IP addresses using the AutoIP protocol. A standard AutoIP address looks like 169.254.x.x, with the Subnet Mask of 255.255.0.0, which allows the Sonos to operate without a DHCP server. This configuration allows you to connect a computer directly to the ZonePlayer and share music by assigning an AutoIP address to your computer (note: most computers will assign themselves an AutoIP address after a few minutes in the case the computer cannot lease an IP address from a DHCP server).

Regards and thanks in advance !

Richard.

Last edited by Ricky; 15 April 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 15 April 2012, 08:01 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give Sonos a call, truly amazing customer serviced, helped me massively when I used to sell the stuff.

Last edited by Jamz3k; 15 April 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 15 April 2012, 08:09 PM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

Hi mate....... I agree with ya to a certain extent but all sonos have said (I have emailed them) is to remove my airport express and go back to my original settings but I really need the express as there are very poor wifi spots around the house, and I have no doubt I should be able to get it to work with the gear I have now. So here's hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction I'm sure there are others on here using a time capsule, express and sonos !!!!!!

Thx for the advice though !!!!!
Old 15 April 2012, 11:31 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Are you using extend or WDS?
Old 16 April 2012, 09:11 AM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

Hi Jack,

Not sure if I'm going to give you the answer you need or not but...............

BT Hub connected to time capsule via ethernet cable. Time capsule wirelessly connected to airport express !

Time capsule

1. Set to create a wireless network
2. Router mode is off (bridge mode)

Airport Express

1. Connect using DHCP
2. Set to "extend a wireless network"

Im guessing its to do with the time capsule router mode set to off and thats where I have my sonos plugged into with ethernet !!!!

Cheers !
Old 16 April 2012, 09:38 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Change connection sharing to Share a public IP address, see if it works, the only thing it might complain about is Double NAT, but that's not worth worrying about.
Old 16 April 2012, 09:42 AM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

Jack.... can't find "share a public IP address" in my time capsule or express settings....... where would I look ?

Thank you !

Time capsule :

Internet tab : 3 options.... DHCP........ Static.........PPPoE
Network tab : 3 options.....Off (Bridge mode)......DHCP only.....DHCP and NAT

Express :

Internet tab :
Connect using : 2 options......DHCP......Static

Network tab : All greyed out !!!!

I can actually see in the airport utility where you mean only when I google it. But my airport utility doesn't look the same. Hopefully below will demonstrate this !!!! The left is the googled one and the right in my airport utility !!!!

Last edited by Ricky; 16 April 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 16 April 2012, 12:22 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Two different versions of Airport app there for a start. Left one is the older one, right one is the new iOS style looking one.

Secondly, The left hand picture shows the device that is connected via ethernet, and sharing it's connection via an address. The right hand picture doesn't have the option stating how it's connected, If not then I'd guess this device isn't able to share it's connection.

How is the time capsule connected, if at all, to the BT hub? I ask as I'd expect the settings for the time capsule to have an option mentioning ethernet or something. I'm wondering if the TC should be set to DHCP if it's not already.

Last edited by Markus; 16 April 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 16 April 2012, 12:27 PM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

Your 100% right Marcus.... my utility is a newer version, but when I googled it I found the other picture showing the "share public ip address" and just put the two side by side to show I'm not going mad not being able to find it.

Time capsule :

Network tab : 3 options.....Off (Bridge mode)......DHCP only.....DHCP and NAT

Express :

Network tab : All greyed out !!!!
Old 16 April 2012, 12:27 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Network Tab then Router Mode. Change that and see what happens.
Old 16 April 2012, 12:42 PM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

Change router mode to the following :

1. DHCP and NAT - fault is double NAT

2. DHCP only - asked me to manually configure my WAN IP address and I don't know how to......

Confused.com

LOL
Old 16 April 2012, 12:54 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Don't worry about the double NAT message, does it work?
Old 16 April 2012, 12:54 PM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

Afraid not Jack !!!!
Old 16 April 2012, 12:59 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

OK. Here's what I'd do, get it working again without the Express. Reset the Express by pressing in the little button underneath, use a drawing pin or similar. Start again using Airport Utility.
Old 16 April 2012, 01:21 PM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

Sorry to have wasted your time guys but many thanks for any help and input you have given !!!!

Everything works as is with the express etc connected except the sonos controller on the mac. Just tried my sonos controller on my iPad and it works with all the internet based items like radio stations and music menu etc so that got me thinking there maybe nothing actually wrong with the internet connection. So deleted the sonos controller off the mac and reloaded the new software and it works. How simple was that !!!!!

Feel a little embarrassed now having asked all the wrong questions but the autoip message on my computer lead me to believe there was an internet connection problem !!!!

Sorry and thanks again !
Old 16 April 2012, 04:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

No worries, glad it's working.