Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fraud, Extortion, Racketeering....

Old 08 January 2012, 10:55 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fraud, Extortion, Racketeering....

Sky has a programme called "Carfellas" who are basically ex-gangsters who have decided to go straight selling cars, anyone else slightly uncomfortable with giving convicted criminals money to make a programme given the misery, pain and possibly death they have inflicted ?

Its like the Dave Courtney character or Ronnie Biggs and all the other criminals, we seem to glamourise them and turn a blind eye to their wrongdoings whilst listening in rapt attention to their tales and buying their books. It seems like the criminals end up profiting from their exploits but nobody ever seems to mention the victims. I think us blokes especially like to think we could be a villain.
Old 08 January 2012, 11:00 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose they see it from the POV that they have served their time.
Old 08 January 2012, 11:09 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Good post Jacko and I agree 100% with your thinking there.

Funnily enough I was just saying to someone the other day on a similar note about the whole obsession with gypsies on the TV (Big Fat Gypsy Wedding et al) and why are we celebrating some of the dregs of society and more importantly no doubt paying them to be on TV

I know not all of them on the actual shows will be wrongdoers, but it is glamourisng that lifestyle, and that is not a good thing IMO!
Old 08 January 2012, 11:10 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

They have served some time for what they got caught for, plus there are loads of people out there that have a tale to tell before we get to villains, I am sure this is colourful and interesting but whilst we may get into the programme and the characters we have to kind of remember that they would have cheerfully incorprated you into a motoway flyover a few years back.
Old 08 January 2012, 11:16 AM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

I have never met an honest car seller in all my time on this earth ...........
Have you?????......
Old 08 January 2012, 11:18 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Only on Sky, eh?

I would like to see what happens if a customer comes back with a complaint! I suppose I'd have to watch it to find out....and there lies the viewer draw.

Not going to happen though, if I want to hear about the tales and the dodgy dealings of reformed 'characters' all I have to do is toddle down to my local Weatherspoons, we really do get all sorts of folk in that place (hence why I keep getting fake £ coins as change )
Old 08 January 2012, 11:19 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler 75
I have never met an honest car seller in all my time on this earth ...........
Have you?????......
Yeah, but to be fair they generally dont use extortion, they sell finance so the banks get to do that bit.
Old 08 January 2012, 11:27 AM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Yeah, but to be fair they generally dont use extortion, they sell finance so the banks get to do that bit.

Fair point.....

Badda boom badda bing......
Old 08 January 2012, 01:16 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Fraud, Extortion, Racketeering....

Thought this was going to be another Cameron thread............
Old 08 January 2012, 02:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Sky has a programme called "Carfellas" who are basically ex-gangsters who have decided to go straight selling cars, anyone else slightly uncomfortable with giving convicted criminals money to make a programme given the misery, pain and possibly death they have inflicted ?

Its like the Dave Courtney character or Ronnie Biggs and all the other criminals, we seem to glamourise them and turn a blind eye to their wrongdoings whilst listening in rapt attention to their tales and buying their books. It seems like the criminals end up profiting from their exploits but nobody ever seems to mention the victims. I think us blokes especially like to think we could be a villain.
Spot on J4CKO.

Les
Old 08 January 2012, 10:44 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

My wife pretty much said exactly this to me the other day when we saw the trailer one night, it is glamorising crims and heavies...
Old 09 January 2012, 12:27 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

It's odd, isn't it. I quite enjoyed watching the Gypsy stuff but could not help but feel annoyed that they had so much money to have a fantastic lifestyle. They are there, but no one seems to chase them for money. ie tax, council etc.
As for Criminals, same thing. Seems the powers that be only go for the easy target. Mr/Mrs Honest.
Old 09 January 2012, 07:16 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

End of the day they have created a show that you have just advertised for free .. people on this forum will now tell other people of their "disgust" and it will get a massive audience, bringing Sky the advertising revenue they planned.
Old 09 January 2012, 10:26 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Funnily enough I was just saying to someone the other day on a similar note about the whole obsession with gypsies on the TV (Big Fat Gypsy Wedding et al) and why are we celebrating some of the dregs of society and more importantly no doubt paying them to be on TV
I bet they are being paid, which makes me think, I'd like to see their tax bill! The cleaners at work are gypsies and 1 of them has had more brand new cars than I have had hot dinners. Last year she turned up in a brand new C class AMG!