Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Who's tipping their postie / bin men this year?

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2011, 01:41 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's tipping their postie / bin men this year?

Never have in the past, but living somewhere new now, and the postie is really helpful. Wondering what the protocol is?
Old 21 December 2011, 01:45 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Why on earth would you feel the need to tip a bin man, who likely already earns £25K+ per annum?
Old 21 December 2011, 01:48 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

We used to tip the bin men in the good old days you know when they would come around the back of your house take the bin and empty it then bring it back!

Today my bin men wont even push it to the back of the truck if my lid is open by 3mm!

So nope not from our house!
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Fiver stuck on top of bin

Fiver to paper lad

Fiver to postie

========

Can still remember the old days when I lived in Battersea when we used to get a knock on door with 3 or 4 large bin men would call to say "Happy Christmas"

dl
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Nobody tips me for doing my job
Old 21 December 2011, 01:56 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SiPie
Nobody tips me for doing my job
that,

havn't they all been on strike at some point in past year?
Old 21 December 2011, 02:03 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I used to tip our postie as he was really helpful but he's recently been replaced and we don't seem to have a regular person now so no tip this year.

The binmen can go swing.
Old 21 December 2011, 02:20 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I see the milk of human kindness is flowing sweetly through SN as usual

dl
Old 21 December 2011, 02:26 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I tipped the postwoman last year. This year I seem to have random people who leave the post in various states of rippedness.

The dustmen, mmmm, I would have said 'yes' but they didn't come yesterday!

Steve
Old 21 December 2011, 02:39 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I'll be tipping the bin men & postie.

The bin-men emptied a wheelie bin full of earth (I could barley move it up the drive). It did have a four pack of Stella attached to it mind
Old 21 December 2011, 02:56 PM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

My post only ever arrives at 4pm+ and I never even see them so no to the postie.

And to hive you an idea of what our binmen are like, when u first moved in we were bringing small boxes etc from our old house. We live at the top of a steep hill with cars parked on both sides, plenty of room and we were on one of our trips bringing boxes to the new house, we were at the bottom of the hill and their was a rubbish lorry in the way so we waited and saw them get very close to some cars, infact they wiped out the rear quarters on three cars, made an awful mess, didn't stop and when they saw me hussled off as fast as they could. I rang the council obviously, and met my neighbours by giving them bad news...

So tip the binmen? Definitely not, complete pond scum where I live. I live in Lancaster which is nice and middle class but the council workers come from morecambe and lets say the gene pool isnt quite so bright, and if you've ever been there you will know what I mean!!
Old 21 December 2011, 02:59 PM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

Excuse the spelling, posting on my iPhone and really must turn the autocorrect off!

QUOTE=Davey96wrx;10388829]My post only ever arrives at 4pm+ and I never even see them so no to the postie.

And to hive you an idea of what our binmen are like, when u first moved in we were bringing small boxes etc from our old house. We live at the top of a steep hill with cars parked on both sides, plenty of room and we were on one of our trips bringing boxes to the new house, we were at the bottom of the hill and their was a rubbish lorry in the way so we waited and saw them get very close to some cars, infact they wiped out the rear quarters on three cars, made an awful mess, didn't stop and when they saw me hussled off as fast as they could. I rang the council obviously, and met my neighbours by giving them bad news...

So tip the binmen? Definitely not, complete pond scum where I live. I live in Lancaster which is nice and middle class but the council workers come from morecambe and lets say the gene pool isnt quite so bright, and if you've ever been there you will know what I mean!![/QUOTE]
Old 21 December 2011, 03:09 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No because neither are very good at what they do.
Old 21 December 2011, 03:13 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

no tip from me, there paid to do a job, if there good the council should give them a bonus.
Old 21 December 2011, 05:15 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tip for the binmen, postie, and milkman.

As we live on a farm and have other material which goes out to the bins each week, they have to empty about 4 bins each week from our farm. Milkman is always here around 9am and walks up our path to put newspaper and milk bottle right in our porch. Postman is only a small tip.
Old 21 December 2011, 05:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'll tip the green waste collectors next time they come......No wait, they finished at the start of last month until April.....and now the wheelie in bin is overflowing with fallen leaves

I also won't tip the free papers deliver boy. I've only asked six times NOT to deliver this year and still had a paper...half sticking out my letter box acting as a water chute and flooding my hallway if it rains, and a paper half sticking out the front door is the perfect advert for Mr burglar saying 'look, there's nobody in!'. Next time he does it I'll rip his ipod/iphone/smartphone/whatever off, roll it up in a newspaper and half shove it up his ****

Black bin bag men are top notch though...I think they might be marathon runners as they run on every round collecting the bin bags.
Old 21 December 2011, 05:26 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

My binmen have to cope with all sorts of crap, general rubbish in the recycling bags, dog **** in the garden waste bin, carrier bags used when I run out of bin liners, they WILL be getting a tip from me. Since the introduction of 2 excitable rottweilers this year the postie is a bit nervous, one day when I had the porch and front door open he threw a letter perfectly from half way acroos the drive through the porch and front door and landed it perfectly on the mat in the kitchen, for that skill alone he deserves a tip.
Old 21 December 2011, 05:28 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Postie never bothers to close my gate when he leaves, so he's getting **** all.

Bin man won't go out of his way to do anything apart from empty bins and leave them in the middle of the pavement, so he's getting **** all.
Old 21 December 2011, 05:29 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm trying to turn mine into alcoholics with the amount of beer they're left.

Not a tip exactly, but I'm sure they appreciate it!
Old 21 December 2011, 05:39 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Postie only delivers mail once a week in a big lump. I'll consider leaving a tip once every 20 years or so
Old 21 December 2011, 05:40 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

No they will be getting **** all. Postie comes around 2pm doesnt close the gate.

And bin men come about 6am and they broke my wing mirror on the works vehicle one morning.
Old 21 December 2011, 05:42 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

£20 to the bin man that collects our bin at work
Old 21 December 2011, 05:43 PM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

We never seem to have a regular post man so no there

Also the posties will never knock when they have a parcel, they just stand there and fill out the 'collect from the post office' slip when im there watching them...

Our bin men/recycling people are useless idiots who leave boxes out in the road in high winds, leave bins at the wrong houses/refuse to take the bin if it weights more than a packet of crisps/generally make a complete hash of it all year so nothing to them either

Last edited by sovietspybob; 21 December 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 21 December 2011, 05:54 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sovietspybob

Our bin men/recycling people are useless idiots who leave boxes out in the road in high winds, leave bins at the wrong houses/refuse to take the bin if it weights more than a packet of crisps/generally make a complete hash of it all year so nothing to them either

That's because you don't tip them. I throw them a tenner each Christmas and they pretty much take anything I leave out.
Old 21 December 2011, 05:55 PM
MarkC
Scooby Regular

Tenner tip to postman. when i am not at home to receive parcel he delivers it to my fathers work place when he is passing on way home.

Give nothing to binmen

Last edited by MarkC; 21 December 2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 21 December 2011, 06:06 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I won't be giving our postmen anything as my next door neighbours on either side get more of my mail than I do, it wouldn't be so bad but one of the houses is empty and I only get the mail when the deceased neighbours daughter checks on the house about every 4-6 weeks.

As for the binmen sorry they have even less chance - they just leave the garden recycling and won't collect it despite it being in the right bags, the 'normal' recycling and black bag rubbish they take if they feel in the mood.
Old 21 December 2011, 06:07 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Nowt from me for defo.
I bring the bin to the kerbside, i bring the bin back in, if i dont they don't take it.
Postie complained about my Rottie behind the gate (7 foot high) and said he was too frightened to deliver, so i now collect my mail, so sod him too
Old 21 December 2011, 06:09 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofturds
That's because you don't tip them. I throw them a tenner each Christmas and they pretty much take anything I leave out.
Exactly! Pays to keep them sweet.
Old 21 December 2011, 06:21 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Exactly! Pays to keep them sweet.
Yup seriously they have chucked a whole chest of drawers in the back of the truck before. These guys may earn 25k in London but more like 12k a year here in Cornwall ,running behind a truck 4 miles a day with bags of **** bursting in their faces .

A tenner a year probably saves me more than that in diesel having to take my junk to the dump.
Old 21 December 2011, 08:49 PM
FurballPhil
Scooby Regular

I don`t know what it`s like for most areas in the UK as far as "Bin Men" Go..
But in my area (I would say The service is 1st Class).
The Recycle Lads put the boxes back behind gates, garden walls or up against the door if it`s a pavement front door. The household takes the bins even if ajar and if you pop over to them with the extra bags, they will take them, also, if asked nicely , they also will take that old 3 piece suit that`s been in the back yard for weeks (For Example)
The loaders are on £6.50per hour, no overtime allowed and only 4 day week. They are out of the truck in all weathers, clocking up 15 miles on foot from 7am till 16:45pm.

The reason I know all this is cos I drive the Lorries and I always make sure the lads do there jobs and help the public as much as they can.
(I also, have never bumped, scraped or damaged anything in the time I`ve worked here)... Considering the tight, almost inaccesable areas we have to get in or get through, is quite an achievment. A 24Ton Truck isn`t the most agile of Sports Vehicles...
My crews don`t expect tips.
I`ve been doing this job for 5 years and at our yard we have a good record for having few complaints.

Bin Men is still one of the hardest with least pay jobs there is. If your bin men are being strict with the bins, ie not taking the extra bags, or bins that are so full the lids don`t close, it`s probably because their round is being ghosted by an Area Waste Officer and if the lads are caught not sticking to new rules, it`s the lads that are in bother.
But as for a sloppy service, like bins left in wrong places and such... Get on the phone, if it`s anything like our area, then it`s quickly sorted.

Sorry to have jumped on this, but it really isn`t a fair judgement to call ALL that work in this job, "Scum, Idiots, Pond Life"

If you don`t want to tip Bin Men, Don`t worry about it, I`m sure they will still sleep at nite..... Get up and do the whole job again anyway...

Last edited by FurballPhil; 21 December 2011 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Who's tipping their postie / bin men this year?