Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Should older people be "encouraged" to move out of their homes?

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2011, 02:32 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Should older people be "encouraged" to move out of their homes?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...ing-homes.html

And this from "The Telegraph":

There’s somebody at the door. Oh, it’s the Property Police. They’ve come to arrest me for refusing to move out of my house, which they’ve decided is too big for me. Any minute now, someone will burst in to measure my floor space; too much square footage and I’ll be forced out and into a broom cupboard or an attic.
I am spitting feathers at the most bullying, patronising and downright offensive report by the Intergenerational Foundation (IF) – a bossy charity whose contention is that “British policymakers have given undue advantages to the older generation at the expense of younger and future generations”. Which translates as “Get the oldies!”.
The report accuses pensioners of “bedroom-blocking”, and suggests that older people in big houses must downsize and move to smaller homes to free up the stagnating housing market. Quite aside from the cheek, this argument doesn’t make sense.
If those of us with big houses move out and buy smaller ones, surely we’ll be depleting the stock of more affordable housing available to younger buyers? And if we try to sell, who is going to buy the bigger houses?
Old 21 October 2011, 02:51 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember my great gran living in a sizable three bed council house, really was a decent size, for one very old lady who lived downstairs anyway. She was there for twenty plus years on her own.

I think there should be some encouragement for council tennants to move to more suitably sized accomodation given the shortage of available social housing, I am all for not kicking people out of their homes but really if you dont own it then you are subject to this, maybe it isnt fair but see how far you get with a bank as a private tennant that decides they cant afford to pay the mortgage any more or someone renting who cant pay the rent.

One old lady in a family home is not right as it still has the same associated costs for the council but houses a quarter of the people, so they have to find more.

I also think we shouldnt be hosuing anyone who arrives from abroad, lets look after those who live here first, not those who arrive slung to the bottom of the Eurostar.
Old 21 October 2011, 03:17 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

If they are fit and well enough to move, and they are given proper help to move their belongings I do not see too much of an issue. If they do not have the need for a three bed semi, then it is fair that someone who needs it, should get it.

However, some of these older people may have lived in these houses for 30+ years. Uprooting them to pastures new could cause them a lot of problems.
I am not just talking physical problems hers. I'm talking emotionally. Where are these elderly singletons going to be put? It's not going to be a comfy bungalow in the suberbs now is it?!
They will most likely be put in a flat, or even more likely a home.
Old 21 October 2011, 03:28 PM
ChrisB

If they are fit and well enough to move, and they are given proper help to move their belongings I do not see too much of an issue. If they do not have the need for a three bed semi, then it is fair that someone who needs it, should get it.
Public or privately owned property?
Old 21 October 2011, 03:29 PM
Cammy5106
Scooby Regular

My mate used to like in a 5 bed council house with his family and when they all grew up and moved out he was on his own in the house, The council aproched him with the offer to move to a smaller house, a 2 bed to be exact, so he took the offer and moved home. A month later he spoke to his old next door neighbour who told him that around 8 or 9 Polish folk have moved into the house and ripped all the doors out and the back garden looked like a dump.
Old 21 October 2011, 03:41 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I don't think they are referring to Council properties. What's got folks up in arms is, they are implying older people should sell their larger homes and buy smaller.
WTF has it got to do with anyone else?? Older people have as much right as anyone else, to enjoy the property they have worked hard to purchase.
Old 21 October 2011, 03:42 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I remember my great gran living in a sizable three bed council house, really was a decent size, for one very old lady who lived downstairs anyway. She was there for twenty plus years on her own.

I think there should be some encouragement for council tennants to move to more suitably sized accomodation given the shortage of available social housing, I am all for not kicking people out of their homes but really if you dont own it then you are subject to this, maybe it isnt fair but see how far you get with a bank as a private tennant that decides they cant afford to pay the mortgage any more or someone renting who cant pay the rent.

One old lady in a family home is not right as it still has the same associated costs for the council but houses a quarter of the people, so they have to find more.

I also think we shouldnt be hosuing anyone who arrives from abroad, lets look after those who live here first, not those who arrive slung to the bottom of the Eurostar.
YUP!
Old 21 October 2011, 04:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Surely if a married couple have spent their life together getting the sort of home together that they like and in an area that suits them, it would be wholly unfair to order them out of it into a lesser home which they would not get the pleasure out of it that they worked so hard to do in their original house.

It has the flavour of unfair state intervention that that might expect from the old USSR.

Most of us had to scrimp and save to get on the housing ladder and I would object intensely to some government employee ordering me out of our home.

Les
Old 21 October 2011, 04:38 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Does this mean I will have to give up the stately home now I am old?
Old 21 October 2011, 04:40 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by Trout
Does this mean I will have to give up the stately home now I am old?
You and Mr Lewis can share the 40 bedrooms between you
Old 21 October 2011, 05:00 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

I think it's a bit of a joke, my grandparents have been in there house for years, it's a fair sized place and they own it and have spent most of their lives in it. Couldn't ever see them moving out, it's their home and full of memories. To ask them to leave it is completely unfair
Old 21 October 2011, 05:07 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In soviet UK house owns you.
Old 21 October 2011, 05:12 PM
shambles
Scooby Regular

In a word - NO. It's their house and are entitled to do with it as they please. It's bad enough the government sell houses on folk when they are permanently moved to a care home.
It could be us in years to come, I'm damn sure I'll be giving up everything I've worked for!!!
Be careful what u wish for!
Old 21 October 2011, 06:22 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Has anybody stopped to ponder if these young people who are to take posession of these large houses can afford the mortgage or upkeep of such properties?
If so then why aren't they buying all the houses that are on the market now?
It's not been thought through has it?
Old 21 October 2011, 06:44 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Lol.

I think as a society we should think about things like this.

If when my dad dies my mother is at home in a large house with large gardens that she can`t cope with I would suggest to her to downsize. She hasn`t the 3 children running around, is less able to look after the house, the neighbours she lived next to for nearly 40 years have changed. And she wouldn`t need such a large house.

Where the situation still exists which made my Father and Mother make the decision to buy the house as a wreck to make into a family home. And the money that she will get from downsizing will obviously come in handier than the pensions, and also a smaller house is cheaper to own and run.

But it would be her choice, but she`s even said she`d downsize as the house would be too big.
Old 21 October 2011, 07:31 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
I don't think they are referring to Council properties. What's got folks up in arms is, they are implying older people should sell their larger homes and buy smaller.
WTF has it got to do with anyone else?? Older people have as much right as anyone else, to enjoy the property they have worked hard to purchase.

Exactly.

The clue is in the word 'home'. It's not just a house.
Old 21 October 2011, 07:39 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I suppose they all come back on the market eventually !
Old 21 October 2011, 08:07 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

The inference is that responsible family units will be moved to smaller accommodation

What is even MORE worrying is the flipside to this.

Irresponsible serial sprog producers would then be deemed worthy of large multi-bedroomed accommodation!

The answer is simple, IMHO.

High density housing / Dormitory Accommodation for those who can't / won't provide for themselves.

Free choice for anyone who cares to fund their own lifestyle.

End of.
Old 21 October 2011, 09:50 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

This suggestion really p,issed me off. It is completely f,ucking stupid and absolutely unworkable. A non-starter.

dl (old person)
Old 21 October 2011, 11:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

They chucked an old grannie pikey out of a 10 berth caravan this week ....... shame
Old 22 October 2011, 01:16 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

If they want to try and 'persuade' MrsD & I out of our 4 bed house, they'd better bring numbers

And come armed
Old 22 October 2011, 09:25 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Public or privately owned property?
Originally Posted by Lee247
Stupid me! I thought it was about council housing.

In that case, I would tell them they can **** right off!
Old 22 October 2011, 10:10 AM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

All that happens now when old people move out/downsize, the house goes on the market, the only people who can afford to buy are landlords who immediately split the house up into multiple bedsits and then rent them back to the council.

So we are left with a lovely old house/ family home that will never return to its original condition, a landlord who is getting richer at the tax payers’ expense, a council who have their housing problem solved without having to build new or renovate old properties and accommodation provided for immigrants and serial sprog producers.
Old 22 October 2011, 01:06 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
They chucked an old grannie pikey out of a 10 berth caravan this week ....... shame
Sorry to hear about your gran Lewis

dl
Old 22 October 2011, 01:27 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Old 22 October 2011, 01:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
Stupid me! I thought it was about council housing.

In that case, I would tell them they can **** right off!
Funny you should say that!

Les
Old 22 October 2011, 02:46 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by foxarm
In soviet UK house owns you.
LOL, that is amusing :0

To be fair though, who are these old people going to sell their 5 bedroom homes too? Its much harder these days for people to get on the property ladder let alone upsize. ( I appreciate SNet is the exception here as we're all so terribly rich what what)

Theres a big problem where I live in West Wales. Lots of homes up for around the £250K - £300K (for a med size 4/5 bed house - ours is a standard 3 bed semi at about £150K it is still cheap here but even £150K is tough when average income is like 25-35K) mark but no one to buy them as the "executive class" doesn't exist down here. You either work away or work for the refineries or LNG or the council (funnily enough) to get the big houses.

Bit of a nonsense story tbh.
Old 22 October 2011, 02:56 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

We could take a leaf out of Mugabe's book and just sling out the whities

dl
Old 23 October 2011, 03:01 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

It appears that Angus Hanton's parents live in a £1.5m five-bedroom des res (warning, this link contains a particularly ugly photograph of Tessa Jowell, not that there are any nice ones!).

Angus, being a 52 year old on the Advisory Board of the Intergenerational Foundation, that so-called "charity" who propose that older people are forceably kicked out of the houses that they have legitimately bought and paid for!!!

Still, maybe he will surrender his £850,000 pile in a few years time to accommodate some dole cheats in "affordable" housing???

Although perhaps, in these austere times, we need to re-assess the definition of a "charity"

mb
Old 23 October 2011, 03:34 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What a stupid woman she really is!

Les

Quick Reply: Should older people be "encouraged" to move out of their homes?