Old 28 June 2011, 12:44 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBC News now @ Greece!

kicking off now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10318089

Live images now stopped.

Last edited by BlkKnight; 28 June 2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 28 June 2011, 01:33 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

They have some spirit I guess.
Old 28 June 2011, 01:56 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Meh, I lost interest before the vid even started and clicked on the real life barbie story.

The years and the surgery appear not to have been kind
Old 28 June 2011, 01:59 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

bye bye Euro
Old 28 June 2011, 02:05 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do they expect the government to do? I guess they're too stupid to realise that you get from the govt what you put in in the first place. So pay no taxes/retire at 50/don't do much work and you don't have much stuff.

People opposed to having privileges taken away... there's something new. Yawn.
Old 28 June 2011, 02:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

its the division in their society , whos paid tax and who hasnt thats at the heart of this isnt it , staying in the euro is just the fuse as far as i can tell

- but how many others countries are going to be just the same !
Old 28 June 2011, 02:15 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
What do they expect the government to do? I guess they're too stupid to realise that you get from the govt what you put in in the first place. So pay no taxes/retire at 50/don't do much work and you don't have much stuff.

There is a wealth transfer going on.
Old 28 June 2011, 02:17 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
its the division in their society , whos paid tax and who hasnt thats at the heart of this isnt it , staying in the euro is just the fuse as far as i can tell

- but how many others countries are going to be just the same !
Yeah, I've read about the billionaires paying virtually no tax. I'm sure there will be many more to come through the next decade.
Old 28 June 2011, 02:19 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Yep like the teachers here eeryone wants something to be done about the debt issues until it affects them of course!!
Old 28 June 2011, 02:23 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Yep like the teachers here eeryone wants something to be done about the debt issues until it affects them of course!!
Well the Teachers are just a special interest group whose aims to to extract as much cash as they can get away with from the government, and they will use strike tactics if necessary.

The Greek thing is basically a widespread rebellion against higher taxes etc.
Old 28 June 2011, 03:19 PM
wrathchild_78
Scooby Regular

ok, this is quite difficult for me but I will try to explain a few things....

First of all, there are so many lies going around about the situation in Greece. It goes a long way back to 1981 when Andread Papandreou was elected minister and concludes today where his son took the leadership of the country.

1. Banks got too greedy and started giving huge loans to everyone (greeks and foreigners). They wanted to have everyone in debt and they succeeded. When the worldwide economic crisis hit, some of them went bankrupt though, so the banks never got their money back. Problem!!!

2. Alongside the previous facts, Greek politicians are pure thieves. The scandals here are imaginable!! Almost every one of the 300 scumbags is corrupted. Yet justice does nothing since it is not blind!!! The people cannot do anything because many years ago politicians voted for a new law that would not allow anyone to touch a politician!! For gods sake!!! How can that happen in a democratic country??!! Shame on us!!

3. Greeks, as far as I can remember, always worked at least 9 hours with 10 being the most common. I have worked in the past in London and afterwards in Athens. I can assure you that living+working in UK is a piece of cake and a great pleasure with a lot of spare time comparing how things were and are in Greece. My first salary was 670 euros for 11-12 hours of work!! How many of you get payed that amount for so many hours eh????? Only after many years at the field, did I manage to earn 1200 euros. Please have in mind that the cost of living in Athens is, in most goods, higher than in London!!!! Believe it or not!! I have lived in both places and I can tell that only tavernas and rents are cheaper here than in UK. The rest is the same or more expensive here.

4. Most of us need to learn English + another foreign language which of course costs time and money. Retirement was/is never an option until you hit 65. The only case where you get a retirement earlier is if you are a woman and have worked for at least 25 years BUT your payment will be no more than 500 euro, which of course is not enough to pay for anything!

5. There is a big game playing behind our backs that we don't know. From this whole mess, Germany/France and other countries as well, get a huge profit. A HUGE profit!! But don't blame the low/middle class because the majority is striving for the day to day living and TV+Newspapers are not telling the real situation here. The people would prefer to go awaya from the EU and euro and start from the beginning by doing things right from the first place. But there were people that didn't want that necause they would lose so much!!

6. DO NOT JUDGE a whole nation from what you read or hear as the majority are people that truly care about the welfare of Greece. Bad thing is that those people don't rule the country.
Old 28 June 2011, 03:21 PM
wrathchild_78
Scooby Regular

and later today, I will let you know about the cost of owning and using a subaru impreza GC8 MY00 in Greece so that you see the total cost and compare...
Old 28 June 2011, 03:41 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrathchild_78

First of all, there are so many lies going around about the situation in Greece. It goes a long way back to 1981 when Andread Papandreou was elected minister and concludes today where his son took the leadership of the country.

1. Banks got too greedy and started giving huge loans to everyone (greeks and foreigners). They wanted to have everyone in debt and they succeeded. When the worldwide economic crisis hit, some of them went bankrupt though, so the banks never got their money back. Problem!!!

2. Alongside the previous facts, Greek politicians are pure thieves. The scandals here are imaginable!! Almost every one of the 300 scumbags is corrupted. Yet justice does nothing since it is not blind!!! The people cannot do anything because many years ago politicians voted for a new law that would not allow anyone to touch a politician!! For gods sake!!! How can that happen in a democratic country??!! Shame on us!!

3. Greeks, as far as I can remember, always worked at least 9 hours with 10 being the most common. I have worked in the past in London and afterwards in Athens. I can assure you that living+working in UK is a piece of cake and a great pleasure with a lot of spare time comparing how things were and are in Greece. My first salary was 670 euros for 11-12 hours of work!! How many of you get payed that amount for so many hours eh????? Only after many years at the field, did I manage to earn 1200 euros. Please have in mind that the cost of living in Athens is, in most goods, higher than in London!!!! Believe it or not!! I have lived in both places and I can tell that only tavernas and rents are cheaper here than in UK. The rest is the same or more expensive here.

4. Most of us need to learn English + another foreign language which of course costs time and money. Retirement was/is never an option until you hit 65. The only case where you get a retirement earlier is if you are a woman and have worked for at least 25 years BUT your payment will be no more than 500 euro, which of course is not enough to pay for anything!

5. There is a big game playing behind our backs that we don't know. From this whole mess, Germany/France and other countries as well, get a huge profit. A HUGE profit!! But don't blame the low/middle class because the majority is striving for the day to day living and TV+Newspapers are not telling the real situation here. The people would prefer to go awaya from the EU and euro and start from the beginning by doing things right from the first place. But there were people that didn't want that necause they would lose so much!!

6. DO NOT JUDGE a whole nation from what you read or hear as the majority are people that truly care about the welfare of Greece. Bad thing is that those people don't rule the country.
Good to get an inside perspective.

So are the people rioting because they want out of the Euro or because they are angry at the thieving government?
Old 28 June 2011, 03:47 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for taking the time to explain
Old 28 June 2011, 04:02 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Good post.

Not all countries have our faith(ish) in Government - and for good reason also.

Greece hasn't been a democracy for that long, it wasn't so long ago it was run by a junta....old habits of corruption etc die hard.
Old 28 June 2011, 04:06 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

hope they sort it out soon, I'm going to Crete on Friday night

windyboy
Old 28 June 2011, 05:24 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Two weeks and then they are Skint,if you want a cheap holiday and do not mind the afghans on the streets book a flight now
Old 29 June 2011, 08:12 AM
wrathchild_78
Scooby Regular

Let me answer some of your questions...

We don't want out of Euro, we simply want to overthrow the current rulers for their betrayal and have a government that we can trust and not rob us with every single opportunity. Politicians that will actually care for this place. The ones in charge, blindly signed whatever the other countries proposed and didn't think that the whole thing would be too much for the people to handle. They didn't care!!

There have been incidents where people started acting violently in Syntagma square. BBC UK also reported that. From the first moment we went to Syntagma and started the protests, we did and do that 100% peacefully! No one has any kind of weapons or chemicals or anything else that might cause harm. We just make our presence known by shouting and singing and that is all. Just the fact that so many people are there, is enough to put pressure to our government. What people don't know is that when things erupted, they did not because we caused it but because some ********* started to through rocks to the police. Then police answers back naturally.

How many of you know that those people that started the fights were caught by simple people like me and were found to be cops themselves in disguise???!! Their ID cards were taken!!! This is proven and transmitted by local TV news too!! It is not me just falsely claiming that the cops are to blame. There are proofs!

Now, since this is a SUBARU forum....

* Cost of buying a decent second hand Impreza GC8 Turbo MY00 with some reasonable mods : 10000 - 15000 euro
* Cost of buying a decent second hand Impreza GDB WRX STI MY 01-05 : 14000 - 21000 euro
* Insurance (the one that even when you are to blame for an accident, the insurance pays everything) : 1070 euro /year
* Road Tax : 670 per year (paid every December) + 440 (this is a new tax that they call it Emergency Tax and is valid for 2012 only) = 1110 euro
* Benzin: 95 ron = 1.62-1.67euro/lt
100 ron = 1.79 - 1,95

So, now compare those figures to what you pay in UK.... I already know that your figures will be much lower....

@Windyboy: you will have a great time at Crete. It is my birthplace and i can assure you that you wont find a better place to eat, swim and have fun!
Old 29 June 2011, 08:19 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Let me answer some of your questions...

We don't want out of Euro, we simply want to overthrow the current rulers for their betrayal and have a government that we can trust and not rob us with every single opportunity. Politicians that will actually care for this place. The ones in charge, blindly signed whatever the other countries proposed and didn't think that the whole thing would be too much for the people to handle. They didn't care!!

There have been incidents where people started acting violently in Syntagma square. BBC UK also reported that. From the first moment we went to Syntagma and started the protests, we did and do that 100% peacefully! No one has any kind of weapons or chemicals or anything else that might cause harm. We just make our presence known by shouting and singing and that is all. Just the fact that so many people are there, is enough to put pressure to our government. What people don't know is that when things erupted, they did not because we caused it but because some ********* started to through rocks to the police. Then police answers back naturally.

How many of you know that those people that started the fights were caught by simple people like me and were found to be cops themselves in disguise???!! Their ID cards were taken!!! This is proven and transmitted by local TV news too!! It is not me just falsely claiming that the cops are to blame. There are proofs!

Now, since this is a SUBARU forum....

* Cost of buying a decent second hand Impreza GC8 Turbo MY00 with some reasonable mods : 10000 - 15000 euro
* Cost of buying a decent second hand Impreza GDB WRX STI MY 01-05 : 14000 - 21000 euro
* Insurance (the one that even when you are to blame for an accident, the insurance pays everything) : 1070 euro /year
* Road Tax : 670 per year (paid every December) + 440 (this is a new tax that they call it Emergency Tax and is valid for 2012 only) = 1110 euro
* Benzin: 95 ron = 1.62-1.67euro/lt
100 ron = 1.79 - 1,95

So, now compare those figures to what you pay in UK.... I already know that your figures will be much lower....

@Windyboy: you will have a great time at Crete. It is my birthplace and i can assure you that you wont find a better place to eat, swim and have fun!
Interesting to hear the inside line on the Greek problems. It looks like we get off Subaru ownership lightly!!
Old 29 June 2011, 09:22 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Well, we in the UK don't actually want the Euro. However, the rest of your sentiments above we can agree with! We too would like to "have a government that we can trust". But it isn't going to happen without violence in the streets!

Dave
You can't compare our Government to the Greek one. We don't have the same corruption problems.
Old 29 June 2011, 09:27 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mamoon2
You can't compare our Government to the Greek one. We don't have the same corruption problems.
Of course we do..........ours are just better hidden, with a bigger GDP to play with to start.

Did the Greek government land them in two wars, for example, then join in another?
Old 29 June 2011, 11:01 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the ulimate farce is exposed by the fact that the money given to Greece by the IMF, to stop them defaulting, is just given to the banks that are owed the money

it's like you owing Amex a load on money and getting a loan from Lloyds on the proviso that you pay off Amex,
Old 29 June 2011, 11:09 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Of course we do..........ours are just better hidden, with a bigger GDP to play with to start.

Did the Greek government land them in two wars, for example, then join in another?
+1
Old 29 June 2011, 03:44 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Well, we in the UK don't actually want the Euro. However, the rest of your sentiments above we can agree with! We too would like to "have a government that we can trust". But it isn't going to happen without violence in the streets!

Dave
Nonsense.
Old 29 June 2011, 04:05 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I've read about the billionaires paying virtually no tax.

What, just like here?

M
Old 29 June 2011, 04:53 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

Old 29 June 2011, 05:12 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

How second hand imported cars taxed ? If a ten year old subaru costs 10k I will send a few over from holland and germany.
Old 29 June 2011, 08:05 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Looks like the default has been postponed.

Quick Reply: BBC News now @ Greece!