Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

help to settle an argument

Old 09 May 2011, 05:41 PM
jaywrxsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help to settle an argument

hi someone at work (a right muppet )has a modified car and he rear ended another car, he seems to think that he will be ok if they settle with out letting the insurance know .
he also reckons that even if they do that it through the insurance then all that will happen is he will have to pay and that he wont get a fine for invalid insurance or any punishment .

i thought it would be points and a fine at least , am i correct or wrong
cheers j
Old 09 May 2011, 05:46 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the police have nothing more to do with it and they settle it between themselves, then he should be fine - in the sense that neither the insurance company nor the police will be any the wiser. He'll still have an insurance certificate that will, at least at face value, allow him to drive on the road. It isn't worth anything though, and obviously at the heart of the matter he has no actual insurance when it comes to the crunch.

Not sure what will happen if he tells the insurance company about it. That would be quite a stupid thing to do in my opinion.
Old 09 May 2011, 05:51 PM
jaywrxsti
Scooby Regular

the other party is on about taking it to the insurance peaple but he isnt worried as he said they wont look at his car , i think they will like at both though
j
Old 09 May 2011, 05:56 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

LOL, he's brave... or more likely stupid. I guess if the other party want to go through the proper channels then he's knackered anyway. But personally I would have offered to cover the repairs as soon as it had happened - i.e. the roadside - using the angle that it would minimize hassle for everyone.
Old 09 May 2011, 06:47 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

So prior to the accident, he modified his car without declaring it to his insurance company?
If so that explains why he doesn't want to go through his insurance for the claim...
Or did I not decipher that out of the original post
Old 09 May 2011, 07:05 PM
jaywrxsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoobidude
So prior to the accident, he modified his car without declaring it to his insurance company?
If so that explains why he doesn't want to go through his insurance for the claim...
Or did I not decipher that out of the original post
no mate he doesnt care if it goes through them
he thinks it will be ok as they wont check his car
j
Old 09 May 2011, 07:08 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest if someone rear ended you and offered to settle outside of insurance is this a good idea?

My guess is that if they can give you a fat wad of cash right away then it is good, otherwise you might end up having to chase money?
Old 09 May 2011, 07:40 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Just out of interest if someone rear ended you and offered to settle outside of insurance is this a good idea?

My guess is that if they can give you a fat wad of cash right away then it is good, otherwise you might end up having to chase money?
To be honest I would never accept it, as you learn that you really can't tell by the look of someone or the way they talk - at least initially - whether they can be trusted.

But would I try it if I was in this guy's situation? Yes. And I would be happy to pay the money in full providing it was an actual quote and not something made up for silly money.

I might even do it now (and I'm properly insured on a bog standard car)... as it would genuinely save any hassle and anyone losing their no claims - me . But whether anyone would accept the offer is another story.

Only in the case of a small bump of course.
Old 09 May 2011, 07:41 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

You give them a time limit and agree for them to settle directly with the garage.

The garage will take the cash up front and if they haven't paid by a certain time you report the accident to the police and insurance.

The delay was down to illness
Old 09 May 2011, 07:47 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
You give them a time limit and agree for them to settle directly with the garage.

The garage will take the cash up front and if they haven't paid by a certain time you report the accident to the police and insurance.

The delay was down to illness
How long would you give them? I mean at what point down the line would it be too late to tell the Police and insurance? Perhaps the other party would deny even meeting you?
Old 09 May 2011, 08:00 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Perhaps the other party would deny even meeting you?
very probably TDW, but most other people would be OK i think
Old 09 May 2011, 08:31 PM
jaywrxsti
Scooby Regular

some good answers but missing the point of my question , which was
what would the out come be when they findout he wasnt insured for a modified car (points , fine etc )
and do they check both cars
as he thinks that he wont get any fines and his car wont get checked , both of which i think he is wrong
j
Old 09 May 2011, 08:41 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

What sort of car and how is it modified?
Old 09 May 2011, 08:45 PM
jaywrxsti
Scooby Regular

200sx with carbon bonnet,coilovers, big exhaust ,induction kit other than that standard
Old 09 May 2011, 08:50 PM
ktl
Scooby Newbie

the rear ended car owner might want to go through insurance but it will only bump there insurance up also.

i would take cash (depending on damage of course)
Old 09 May 2011, 09:03 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaywrxsti
200sx with carbon bonnet,coilovers, big exhaust ,induction kit other than that standard
I'm sure this is often raised on Pistonheads.

I think from a legal point of view he will still be insured. Even if he's lied like fukc to get the insurance certificate, once the insurance company have accepted the policy they are legally responsible for third party cover. However, the insurance company will a) have a clause where they will seek recompense from him and b) not be the slightest bit interested in his own personal loss.
Old 09 May 2011, 10:15 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

How long would you give them? I mean at what point down the line would it be too late to tell the Police and insurance? Perhaps the other party would deny even meeting you?

I think it depends on the person, if its some scally kid, then I would be pushing for 24 hours and I'd make it clear at the time that I would expect him to pay the garage or I'll go to the police.

I think legally, you could go to the police to report it anyway, get it down on file and tell them what you plan to do, its not illegal to sort it outside the insurance company ..

I've had to do this when I caught the back of a crappy old Rover, I went straight to the paint shop it was in and paid near £200 to get it done. Receipt and the guys name taken.

Worked out ok for me.
Old 09 May 2011, 10:18 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

For the OP, my last Impreza was written off whilst in the care of a garage, it had modifications unknown to my insurer, (unknown to me) but as I was claiming off someone else, it didn't matter. They paid me for the car, the modifications and the condition helped me get paid more.

I think your friend will get one of the insurance guys down to check out his car, if its a bump, he'll probably still check for reasons not to cover the repairs.
Old 09 May 2011, 10:47 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

I would think that if your friend is not making a claim for damage to his own car then neither insurance company will be interested in his car.
If he is comprehensive and looking to claim for his damage then a different story.
Once upon a time some geezer in his Fiesta was coming to a roundabout at the top of a motorway sliproad, all was clear and he looked like he was entering the roundabout without stopping. However, suddenly an ambulance appears with lights on and although he still had loads of time he slams his anchors on and I ploughed into the back of him at 10-15mph on a motorcycle (I did brake but it wasn't happening with 1970's brakes). Being a naughty boy I had insurance on a bike, but not the one I was riding. So I said to him " If you want paying out I'm riding a different bike".
He did want paying out, he did get payed out, and no-one was remotely interested in the bike (either of them).
Although maybe with all the scams nowadays they might want to see his car purely as evidence that he really had an accident.

Kevin
Old 09 May 2011, 11:01 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

They'd need a f'ing ambulance...

dunx
Old 09 May 2011, 11:51 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaywrxsti
some good answers but missing the point of my question , which was
what would the out come be when they findout he wasnt insured for a modified car (points , fine etc )
and do they check both cars
as he thinks that he wont get any fines and his car wont get checked , both of which i think he is wrong
j
I think, and I'm not 100%, if he isn't personally claiming for damage to his car, then nobody should wish to look at his car.
Old 10 May 2011, 12:09 AM
fire my brother 1
Scooby Regular

He can say the cars std as far as his concerned thats how they come.