Old 09 May 2011, 08:54 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Workers in the public sector are more than 40pc better off

Quite remarkable really.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...etter-off.html
Workers in the public sector are more than 40pc better off

Public sector workers receive more than 40 per cent extra in pay and pensions than their counterparts in private companies as state wages spiral, a report has found.

By Tim Ross, Social Affairs Editor 10:00PM BST 08 May 2011 Follow Tim Ross on Twitter
336 Comments

The six million state employees have increased their advantage over workers in the private sector since the start of the recession.

In every region of Britain, except Yorkshire, the gap in pay between public and private employees widened between 2008 and 2010, with the largest gulf in Wales and the North West, according to the study from Policy Exchange, a think–tank.

When calculated on an hourly basis, the typical state employee earns up to 35 per cent more than his counterpart in the private sector, the report finds. But when the more generous pensions for state employees are taken into account, the advantage rises to 43 per cent.

Only at the very top of the scale, where the highest earners include bankers, footballers and television stars, do private sector salaries outstrip those in the state professions.

The researchers said that, on current rates, public sector pay would need to be frozen until 2018 before workers in private companies would catch up. The study called for an end to national pay bargaining from unions and urged the Government to allow more flexibility to reward key workers, such as accident and emergency staff, in parts of the country facing shortages.

George Osborne, the Chancellor, is attempting to restrain public sector pay with a two–year freeze and moves to reform pensions.
Based on figures from the Office for National Statistics, the Policy Exchange study found that public sector workers received significantly higher pay than those in private firms for doing exactly the same work.
For example, the report says that primary school teachers in state education typically earned £33,140 after banking a pay rise of 2.1 per cent, compared with a 12 per cent pay cut for the same job in a private school, where the average salary was £21,159 in 2010.

A middle–earning worker in a private company earns an hourly rate of £10.06, but someone doing the same job in the public sector earns £13.54, according to the figures.

Even on a conservative estimate, the gap between private and public sector pay has doubled since the start of the recession two years ago, the report found.

The lowest estimates, which take account of the higher qualifications and older workers in the public sector, put the gap at 8.8 per cent.

However, during the same two-year period, many in private sector jobs suffered pay cuts, particularly those on lower incomes.

Neil O'Brien, the director of Policy Exchange, said it was unfair that private sector workers should "make all the sacrifices". "Public sector pay has got hugely out of control," he said. "We need a much better–balanced system of public pay, with organisations like the NHS and schools given greater freedom to vary pay so they can attract staff but also get value for the taxpayer."

The report found that in Scotland, the North East, the North West and Wales, a typical public sector worker can expect to be paid one fifth more than the typical private sector employee.

For only the second year since 1997 – the other being in 2009 – average pay was higher in the public sector than in the private sector.

Only the highest paid workers in the private sector on more than £47,000 a year were paid more than their public sector counterparts. The bottom 30 per cent of private employees suffered "dramatic" pay cuts.

Unions dismissed the study as an attempt by a Right–wing think–tank to "stir up divisions" between public and private sector workers.

Dave Prentis, leader of the Unison union, said: "The data used is out of date and does not reflect the true picture and it does not compare like with like. It should be taken with a huge barrel of salt."

Brendan Barber, the general secretary of the TUC, said: "Public sector workers are facing a pay freeze, job losses and have already seen the value of their pensions cut by 25 per cent."

Old 09 May 2011, 10:20 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

NL found it was a good way to reduce the jobless total and also create more obedience as far as they were concerned.

Les
Old 09 May 2011, 01:02 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
This report has surely been out for ages? More re-hashing of the news.

Dave
Seems to be new as it's based on....
Public and private sector terms, conditions and the issue of fairness • Published 09/05/11

Unison "The data used is out of date" - it's from 2008 - 2010, hardly out of date.
Old 09 May 2011, 01:19 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

It's probably not an accurate measure but my wife and I have lunch together once a week. We can't afford every day.

Every day we do go into a restaurant for lunch, the majority of customers are council. Theres huge new build council offices and they all pile out at lunchtime - I point out the council offices because this building is f*cking huge and must have cost millions. At the same time the local secondary school is falling apart and looks like a **** hole.

You can spot the council workers too because they are all particularly well dressed - ie newish clothes.

It's just a comment on what we noticed and perhaps an indicator as to who out of the working population has the most disposable income.

I've seen middle management pension pots - and this is lowly west wales don't forget - and many of them are over half a million.

Last edited by EddScott; 09 May 2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09 May 2011, 01:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About time the poor State Workers were being paid more than the Private Sector - not one Private Employee was crying and bleeting when the shoe was on the other foot and the Public Sector worker was living on a pittance!!!

Long may the Private Sector pay for the Public Sector IMO!! It's called Karma, Balancing, whatever - but about time too!!
Old 09 May 2011, 02:41 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Miniman
Seems to be new as it's based on....
Public and private sector terms, conditions and the issue of fairness • Published 09/05/11

Unison "The data used is out of date" - it's from 2008 - 2010, hardly out of date.
The unions are only interested in squeezing as much out of the taxpayer to the benefit of their members.

The report says the public sector needs YEARS of pay freezes to match the private sector yet the unions are moaning about a few token cuts etc.
Old 09 May 2011, 02:42 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
About time the poor State Workers were being paid more than the Private Sector - not one Private Employee was crying and bleeting when the shoe was on the other foot and the Public Sector worker was living on a pittance!!!

Long may the Private Sector pay for the Public Sector IMO!! It's called Karma, Balancing, whatever - but about time too!!
Public sector workers should be paid less...they have jobs for life and in the case of people like Doctors and Teachers they are virtually unsackable.
Old 09 May 2011, 04:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You are, of course, including teachers in the public sector?
Old 09 May 2011, 04:45 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Sorry Tony but you are talking out of your ***. I was a civil servant for 12 years, being paid a pittance.
Old 09 May 2011, 06:01 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

The only 40% increase in that cut and paste were the line spacings.
Old 09 May 2011, 06:05 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
Sorry Tony but you are talking out of your ***. I was a civil servant for 12 years, being paid a pittance.
Sure but what would you have got in the private sector doing the equivalent?
Old 09 May 2011, 06:15 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Sure but what would you have got in the private sector doing the equivalent?
I'm doing the same job in the private sector now and earning 4 times my civil servant salary.
Old 09 May 2011, 06:15 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To be fair, I would be asking for 40% more to work under the kind of petty arseholes you often find in management in the public sector, particularly the councils. It really is a grim occupation in some cases, but how do you go about tackling that?
Old 09 May 2011, 06:28 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I'm doing the same job in the private sector now and earning 4 times my civil servant salary.
I doubt that is the whole truth but if you say so.
Old 09 May 2011, 06:56 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I doubt that is the whole truth but if you say so.
Why would I lie to you about that? I worked in IT in the DWP & was paid a **** wage, albeit with expenses if I worked away from home, now I'm freelance its a different story. Take a look on Jobserve at daily rates for Oracle dev jobs & you will see what I mean.

I don't ***** wave & I don't lie. You really need to stop posting this regurgitated bollox from other websites Tony, it lowers your credibility on here & I for one actually enjoy some of your posts.

The Civil service can be very well paid, but only once you get to SEO grade & above, even so you still end up with a lot of people under you & a lot of responsibility. Its the minions that do all the grunt work, get rewarded **** all with the promise of a golden pension, which probabaly won't happen thanks to Nu Labia.
Old 09 May 2011, 07:06 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Why would I lie to you about that? I worked in IT in the DWP & was paid a **** wage, albeit with expenses if I worked away from home, now I'm freelance its a different story. Take a look on Jobserve at daily rates for Oracle dev jobs & you will see what I mean.

I don't ***** wave & I don't lie. You really need to stop posting this regurgitated bollox from other websites Tony, it lowers your credibility on here & I for one actually enjoy some of your posts.

The Civil service can be very well paid, but only once you get to SEO grade & above, even so you still end up with a lot of people under you & a lot of responsibility. Its the minions that do all the grunt work, get rewarded **** all with the promise of a golden pension, which probabaly won't happen thanks to Nu Labia.
Are you saying the stats in the article are wrong then? Public sector workers are not just 'civil servants' and your anecdote does not invalidate the overall statistics.
Old 09 May 2011, 08:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
You are, of course, including teachers in the public sector?
Yes, of course ...... and before Labour came to power, Teachers were not paid as well as they are these days!!!!

Also, they should STOP moaning and bleeting as they are so well paid that it is embarrassing - that's my issue with them!!

Doctors have recently become vastly rewarded, like Teachers have been for 12 years - and are extremely lucky.

But, generally, excluding the two priviledged groups above, the Public Sector is very poorly remunerated for what they do!

Last edited by pslewis; 09 May 2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09 May 2011, 08:30 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

But, generally, excluding the two priviledged groups above, the Public Sector is very poorly remunerated for what they do!
Yes those back-water local council chiefs on more than the PM!
Old 09 May 2011, 10:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

And probably in charge of 1,000 staff?

Hell, plenty of HeadTeachers are on £100k + ....... maybe in charge of 100 Staff?
Old 09 May 2011, 10:19 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

And probably in charge of 1,000 staff?

Hell, plenty of HeadTeachers are on £100k + ....... maybe in charge of 100 Staff?
We're talking substantially more than 100k pete.

...and anyway what does the amount of people you are 'in charge' of have to do with anything? It's got nothing to do with it.

How on earth did councils manage 15 years ago when bosses got modest saleries? Public services must have been dreadful? So inefficient? I bet public sector wages were sky high as the (incompetent...didn't pay enough to get quality?!) bosses couldn't keep a lid on spending?
Old 09 May 2011, 10:38 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Yes those back-water local council chiefs on more than the PM!
And where do they all come from? "We have to pay them that much to recruit the best people from the private sector"...
Old 09 May 2011, 10:47 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Quite remarkable really.
Hardly - the report comes from a right-wing political organisation peddling biased Tory propaganda.
Old 09 May 2011, 11:44 PM
Loco
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daryl
And where do they all come from? "We have to pay them that much to recruit the best people from the private sector"...
sorry mate, but thats a poor excuse. they don't have to be "enticed" from the private sector, and they don't have to be paid top dollar to be the best. I bet there are loads of people gagging for promotion within the public sector, and i bet many of them would do the job for half the money that some of their bosses get paid.

Last edited by Loco; 09 May 2011 at 11:45 PM.