Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Would you report someone for dangerous driving?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2011, 01:27 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bish667
I got pulled up by the police a few years back, the previous day i had been reported for driving at fast speeds through town.
So the police do take action when people are reported for dangerous driving.
I didnt admit to anything so they couldnt charge me.
The person that reported me wouldnt have seen my plate either but thats the joys of having a subaru that stands out.
As far as I am aware, that would only happen if they had received many complaints about your driving and a marker had been put your car.

(Mrs works for the fuzz)
Old 05 April 2011, 01:48 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I've reported him, down at the station now and they seem to be taking it very seriously and have advised me it may end up in court.
Old 05 April 2011, 01:53 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

James
Old 05 April 2011, 01:59 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
As far as I am aware, that would only happen if they had received many complaints about your driving and a marker had been put your car.

(Mrs works for the fuzz)
In most cases yeah but i was driving like a bit of a maniac in all honesty and was in an area busy with cars so what i did was very stupid. The police informed me that the person that had reported me had actually taken the time to go into the police station to report me rather than just calling them so they took it more seriously. A few days later i did actually get caught for speeding out of town and ended up getting a ban so they had an eye out for me after that I reckon, but we live and learn.
Old 05 April 2011, 02:46 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Well that is terrible. Surely a £60 fine and 3 points would suffice. After all, what if this man had a wife, kids and a mortgage. Your actions may have caused home to lose his home and his kids than taken into care. Shame on you.

Chip
Originally Posted by Fulmentaljack3t
Your right Chip I was out of line and went too far! I feel ashamed of myself, i have let myself down and my family

more self-righteous, pompous dribble zzzzz

I suppose such sound, upstanding and responsible citizens like yourselves won't have anything to worry about as you are whiter than white, but be aware what comes around goes around.....
Old 05 April 2011, 02:51 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Thismorning an idiot came close to killing me and my missus due to speeding forcing me to talk evasive action, once I got back behind him I flashed him and he put on his hazzards and slammed on the brakes followed by booting it up the road cutting up traffic to get away from me.

I have to admit I gave chase as I wanted to drag him out of the car and kill him. As you may remember, I got drove into the back of 2months ago and this fella doing this has really stressed me out and I did feel proper fear when he was literally centimetres from travelling at my guess close to 90/100mph.

So would you grass him up to the cops? Or leave it as another pleb on the road -'ll never meet again.
Yes - report it to the police.
But I bet they don't take too much interest in it.
Old 05 April 2011, 02:53 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Well I've reported him, down at the station now and they seem to be taking it very seriously and have advised me it may end up in court.
******* squealer
Old 05 April 2011, 03:01 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
******* squealer
Touts Out! UTH!:-P
Old 05 April 2011, 06:08 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It really depends on the nature of the driving. It's not totally clear from your OP what exactly happened?

I would be a bit of a hypocrite reporting someone just because I think they might be breaking a speed limit or cornering on the limit of grip, but I would think about it if someone did look like they were an accident waiting to happen. That happened a few years ago when I was driving home from work: some guy in an old golf was overtaking cars on totally blind parts of the road, without even seemingly being in a hurry to pass them! He was literally just a few mph faster than them, and I guess he must have been either very drunk or on something else. F*cking nutter. In that case I would report... you've got to think about the next town he comes into where there could be people at a crossing etc... or any number of other things that he could have done. People that have the potential for doing stuff like that should be removed from the road ASAP IMO, regardless of any consequences to their personal life.
Old 05 April 2011, 06:38 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I reported a Bus Driver, who was tailgating. Not to the Police but the Company itself.
And yes, it was taken very seriously. I got a letter of apology and the driver was sent on a refresher course, for three days without pay. Bet that stung.
Old 06 April 2011, 01:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy
What's that then, rational and pragmatic as opposed to hysterical and self righteous....

Live and let live
Unthinking and selfish will do for a start!

Les
Old 06 April 2011, 01:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well done.

Les
Old 09 May 2011, 09:13 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Got woken up by a call from the PSNI thismorning. They think they have worked out who owns the car, apparently it was bought at auction this made it hard to track. They have asked me how I want to proceed and suggested just giving him a slap on the wrists which seemed fair enough.
Old 09 May 2011, 09:29 AM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

Know what really gets me, people saying "dont be a grass". What if this person was driving like a re@t crashed into your family member and killed them, people at the scene do not "grass" that person walks away free.

Ok its not as simple as that however similar things happen like that every day. It's not about being a grass its about doing the rights thing.

There is a difference between someones spirited drive and their dangerous driving. Putting others life at risk is not spirited driving.

If I saw someone spirited driving I would not say a word, however if I saw someone dangerous driving I would report it every time. I believe dangerous driving has to be found happening by police however there is always the opinion of section 59 warning, they do it again then their motor gets lifted.

Well done for reporting them
Old 09 May 2011, 10:46 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I certainly would report a person like that who was obviously completely selfish in his outlook and was prepared to put other peoples' lives at risk for his wish to bolster up his own ego.

A man like that does not deserve to hold a licence and is obviously a serious danger to other road users.

les
Old 10 May 2011, 03:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you read what i wrote, i said the probability of a van coming off the road over the pavement through your little fence and into the garden is highly unlikely regardless of speed, the fact that this hasn't happened before stands testament to this! Again without knowing the road i speculate that a car will be parked outside your fence on the roadside offering protection to pedestrians on the pavement, your garden and your family. If the kids are not on the road (which they shouldn't be) then their lives being in danger isn't a high risk factor IMO, i do however appreciate as a parent the scenario is obviously uncomfortable and un-nerving, but still the probability of the events taking place to inflict bodily harm on your kids is low with all things considered. Doesn't make what white van man is doing right ..... but a £60 fine and 3 points should be the correct punishment for the crime and not losing your job, especially in todays fiscal climate when the only evidence they have is a neighbour making two phone calls to the police.
You can talk around it all you like. The fact is that on today's roads the traffic is such that speeding is unsafe and should be unacceptable.

Yes of course we should look after our children and make sure that they know the dangers of traffic and how to behave such as when crossing the road. There seems to be little emphasis on this these days and I wonder if they even bother with that in school.

I see instead that pedestrians in general seem to think they have a God given right to step into the road without looking for traffic or even to walk along the road instead of using an empty path for pedestrians. What do they teach their children I wonder.

Speeding is dangerous, your safety margins are cut and you have less time to react to a situation. Brakes etc are of course better, but human reactions will be just the same as ever before. More speed means more damage or injury if you do have an accident. Deliberate speeding, especially as the OP described, should be regarded in a similar light to dangerous driving and that driver deserves all he might get if caught.

I see nothing wrong in reporting a driver like that in an effort to get him to at least moderate his driving before it is too late.

Les
Old 10 May 2011, 03:19 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
You can talk around it all you like. The fact is that on today's roads the traffic is such that speeding is unsafe and should be unacceptable.

Yes of course we should look after our children and make sure that they know the dangers of traffic and how to behave such as when crossing the road. There seems to be little emphasis on this these days and I wonder if they even bother with that in school.

I see instead that pedestrians in general seem to think they have a God given right to step into the road without looking for traffic or even to walk along the road instead of using an empty path for pedestrians. What do they teach their children I wonder.

Speeding is dangerous, your safety margins are cut and you have less time to react to a situation. Brakes etc are of course better, but human reactions will be just the same as ever before. More speed means more damage or injury if you do have an accident. Deliberate speeding, especially as the OP described, should be regarded in a similar light to dangerous driving and that driver deserves all he might get if caught.

I see nothing wrong in reporting a driver like that in an effort to get him to at least moderate his driving before it is too late.

Les
Took you long enough to reply...if your reaction times are the best part of 4 weeks on a forum, then i can see why you confess your arguement so vehemently about other road users and their ability to react
Old 26 June 2011, 02:22 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Well it would seem that the police force are infact useless ******* after all.

Got a voicemail, its funny how I never actually get a phonecall from them, always a voicemail.....saying that they have found the owner of this car but he wont respond to them so they can't do anything and that it will now have to go to court. Now without actually saying the words the general vibe was that they don't want it to go to court because they can't be bothered going to court which is understandable as they can't even be bothered going to the persons house to speak to him, so they'd rather I drop it.

So top tip of the day, take matters into your own hands because the police are useless.

Last edited by Jamz3k; 26 June 2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 26 June 2011, 02:30 PM
New_scooby_04

Well done for reporting it mate!

Only certainty was that had you not reported it, nothing would have happened.

You did your bit; that's all that can be asked of you!

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 26 June 2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 26 June 2011, 07:18 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Well it would seem that the police force are infact useless ******* after all.

Got a voicemail, its funny how I never actually get a phonecall from them, always a voicemail.....saying that they have found the owner of this car but he wont respond to them so they can't do anything and that it will now have to go to court. Now without actually saying the words the general vibe was that they don't want it to go to court because they can't be bothered going to court which is understandable as they can't even be bothered going to the persons house to speak to him, so they'd rather I drop it.

So top tip of the day, take matters into your own hands because the police are useless.
Unless there's another witness, not really worth going to court IMO. Only way you can find that out though is to go chat to PSNI about it. As you've already suggested they give him a bollocking rather than go to court ...
Old 26 June 2011, 07:26 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does a voicemail not actually mean they rang you but you didn't answer or you phone was off?
Old 27 June 2011, 02:39 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Of course I would report them, man! Not because I am a habitual grasser, but road ragging can cause fatalities. Therefore, I am obliged to warn police of the nutters on the road, doesnt matter whether their lunacy directly affects me or others. I haven't ever done it, though. When I had my scooby, I was often taken over quite dangerously by tiny Puntos and Fiestas with ridiculous exhausts. The problem is that they swift off into the oblivion before you could register their car's registration number in your head. if you focus on their number plate while driving, you may end up getting into someone's back end, and get done for careless driving yourself. So, you have to think hard on performing a grasser's role on such occasions. You can face a dilemma of "To be or not to be" one.
Old 27 June 2011, 11:18 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Took you long enough to reply...if your reaction times are the best part of 4 weeks on a forum, then i can see why you confess your arguement so vehemently about other road users and their ability to react
Well it is quite obvious that you have run out of any kind of argument to justify your stated attitude, especially when you really have to scrape that barrel in the above post to find something to say which is totally irrelevant and even meaningless.

Les
Old 27 June 2011, 11:20 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Well it is quite obvious that you have run out of any kind of argument to justify your stated attitude, especially when you really have to scrape that barrel in the above post to find something to say which is totally irrelevant and even meaningless.

Les
The irony is strong within this post
Old 27 June 2011, 12:58 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There you go all over again.

Les
Old 27 June 2011, 01:23 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

There you go all over again.

Les

I'm detecting a strong case of authoritarian aggression with a pinch of social dominance on the side coming through your posts....... its ok to agree to disagree, that isn't a form of defet, the world doesn't always have to sing your songs......perhaps the air is thin up on that high horse of yours it clouds your ability to be objective.....

While i got your attention can i ask are you a Leslie Neilson kind of Leslie or a Leslie Ash kind of Leslie??
Old 26 September 2011, 08:16 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

The PSNI got in contact we me today.

They are dropping the case as they can't get in contact with the driver of the car. How pathetic is that? They know where he lives...he just mustn't be answering the door or something?

What a farce the police force are.

I see the guy at least once a month, on the same stretch of road at the same time. Maybe the next time we're stopped at traffic, I'll just do the police officers job for them.
Old 26 September 2011, 11:14 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WTF is wrong with people with this childish "don't be a grass" ****?
  • So you see someone nicking stuff from your local shop and you don't alert the owner??
  • You see someone breaking into your neighbour's car and you don't call the police??
  • You spot a greasy haired weirdo hanging around at the school gate with a bag of sweets and a couple of puppies and you leave him to it??
  • You see someone driving like a total tool, they almost kill you and your passengers and you just let it go??

Is solidarity with the criminal fraternity cool??
I just don't get this "code". Someone please educate me.
Old 27 September 2011, 07:05 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Police can't do anything, where's the evidence? Your word against his has no weight!

Don't be a grass
I agree never grass
Old 27 September 2011, 09:01 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobJenks
I agree never grass
Great community spirit you show there.