Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Argos it! Biggest scam in the country?

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2010, 08:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Argos it! Biggest scam in the country?

When it first started, the idea was that you paid less because there was no showroom and less staff.

Now, their prices seem to be on a par with everyone elses?

So what's the point?
Old 16 December 2010, 08:41 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question. Why would a sane person want to queue up twice to buy something when they could go to a normal shop and queue once for the same thing at the same price?

I despise Argos with a deep-seated loathing, and my feelings are not helped when on the few occasions I have gone in, it has been rammed full of humanities lowest common denominators.
Old 16 December 2010, 08:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

They have Argos in France?
Old 16 December 2010, 08:56 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I think its days are numbered as a high street shop. We always used to pick up a catalogue when the advert came out for it on TV, but never bother these days. As on-line shopping continues its relentless uptake, people are sure to become more aware that its prices and stock updating cannot compete.

Prices on-line change on a daily basis on the likes of amazon. How can Argos possibly keep its catalogue up to date? I can see it going the way of Dixons and becoming an on-line only outlet.
Old 16 December 2010, 08:56 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

You have only just noticed?

Argos is targeted at innumerate chavs who can't tell it is more expensive.

Argos collection desk is like a Jeremy Kyle's Green Room.
Old 16 December 2010, 08:58 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout

This is also true
Old 16 December 2010, 09:01 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rossyboy
I think its days are numbered as a high street shop. We always used to pick up a catalogue when the advert came out for it on TV, but never bother these days. As on-line shopping continues its relentless uptake, people are sure to become more aware that its prices and stock updating cannot compete.

Prices on-line change on a daily basis on the likes of amazon. How can Argos possibly keep its catalogue up to date? I can see it going the way of Dixons and becoming an on-line only outlet.
Where will Waynetta get her jewels ?
Old 16 December 2010, 09:02 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
No, it would never catch on here I reckon, but I am originally from Aberdeen, where I had the misfortune to shop there a few times, culminating in me being removed from one store by the police after being accused of trying to obtain goods by deception by the store staff.
Old 16 December 2010, 09:05 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Where will Waynetta get her jewels ?
Here, using her laptop funded by the state

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Home.h...3Dargos+online
Old 16 December 2010, 09:16 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

back in 1982, when I bought my wife one of the original swatch watches from the Argos store in Sheperds Bush, she honestly thought it was a store selling stolen goods.

(she was/is a posh bird from NHG)

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 16 December 2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 16 December 2010, 09:38 PM
Pjamie
Scooby Regular

But let's face it, if you're in a hurry to get something, you check online if it's available at a store near you, you can reserve it, pay for it at a booth when you enter the store (no line to stand it) then collect it, it can be convenient. I wouldn't normally go into the store when I'm in the vicinity but I have used their reservation service twice and it's worked for me.
Old 16 December 2010, 09:46 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Trout

I concur. Let them shop at Agros!

****e Stuff in that ****e Shop - I went once, shudder!!!
Old 16 December 2010, 09:48 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yeah they are handy if you want something quick and certain things Ive bought theyve had cracking deals like the PS3. And they have online reviews of products now which is what I like about Amazon so you have a good idea of any issues.
Old 16 December 2010, 10:17 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Argos is for people like this

Old 16 December 2010, 10:36 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

They are still in business, so they must be doing something right (I doubt its anything to do with the Christmas adverts in October )
Old 16 December 2010, 10:39 PM
Triple filtered
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pjamie
But let's face it, if you're in a hurry to get something, you check online if it's available at a store near you, you can reserve it, pay for it at a booth when you enter the store (no line to stand it) then collect it, it can be convenient. I wouldn't normally go into the store when I'm in the vicinity but I have used their reservation service twice and it's worked for me.
Park outside, bonnet up, hazards on......out in a jiffy
Old 16 December 2010, 10:52 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I used to use Argos quite often for the reason Jeff mentioned that it was cheaper (and the customer service was good for returns). Not so much now for the fact most stuff can be bought from a shop where you can get your hands on it first for a prod.

Actually last thing I bought from there was a metal curtain pole last weekend. Must be a lot of well of chavs round here as the place was rammed with plenty of BMW's, Audi's (even one subaru WITHOUT lexus rear light) and other posh persons cars in the carpark

Ah well, least I got the Mrs to be engagement ring from a proper jewellers and not Lizzy Dukes - maybe there's hope for me.
Old 16 December 2010, 11:00 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Old 16 December 2010, 11:16 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Like anywhere, if they have something I want and it's cheaper than anywhere else, or just that it's available there and nowhere else, they get my business. No need to turn your nose up at a cheap deal no matter who's selling it!

Dave

Apart from being wrong on Europe, you actually talk a lot of sense, Dave.
Old 16 December 2010, 11:16 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
No, it would never catch on here I reckon, but I am originally from Aberdeen, where I had the misfortune to shop there a few times, culminating in me being removed from one store by the police after being accused of trying to obtain goods by deception by the store staff.

Don't suppose you would care to elaborate?
Old 16 December 2010, 11:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Still in business as unlike other stores nobody can really nick anything, Woolworths was plaugued with shoplifters and they payed a part in its downfall, lock everything up and just bring it out when someone has paid for it, it serves a purpose Argos, quite useful for odds and ends.
Old 16 December 2010, 11:32 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Like anywhere, if they have something I want and it's cheaper than anywhere else, or just that it's available there and nowhere else, they get my business. No need to turn your nose up at a cheap deal no matter who's selling it!

Dave
Indeed and its a bizarre people watch whilst you wait.

After the forecast snow dump over the next day or so I dare say they will take a lot of trade from Amazon and the like.
Old 16 December 2010, 11:35 PM
Lisawrx

Dave
Exactly.

However, although I keep getting the catalogues just in case, alot of the stuff isn't all that cheap anymore. That is a shame. But, like you, if they have something I want and it is cheaper there, I'll go there quite happily.

Anyway, let us leave the snobs to slagging them/the customers off.

(btw, that isn't aimed at the OP as his problem is with prices, not the type of place it is.)
Old 16 December 2010, 11:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Last time we went in one was during a camping trip in Devon; We forgot to pack the folding table and needed something to place the beer (etc. ) on, and happened to pass by.

Sadly any form of camping gear that related to a folding table was out of stock. We headed out to the car park empty handed, when my mate stops and says "hang on, I've got a plan" and runs back inside.

Several minutes later he emerged out of the exit with a flat-pack coffee table under his arm for princely £8.99. What a hero!
Old 16 December 2010, 11:36 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Still in business as unlike other stores nobody can really nick anything, Woolworths was plaugued with shoplifters and they payed a part in its downfall, lock everything up and just bring it out when someone has paid for it, it serves a purpose Argos, quite useful for odds and ends.

true,never seen a security guy near an argos shop

plus,they do have cheap prices for end of line stuff,tv`s etc at good prices only a few mths out of the mainstream range of say richersounds etc
Old 16 December 2010, 11:42 PM
Lisawrx

Oh, just to add. I must be a real tramp then, because we have an Argos clearance shop not all that far from us which is really good for bargains (if they have what you want) and I'm not ashamed to admit that we have taken a couple of trips there.
Old 16 December 2010, 11:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I think a lot of people seek to justify their position in the social order by slagging certain things, full of it round here, people who wouldnt be seen dead in a Ford or Vauxhall, wouldnt shop at Asda, shock horror someone might think I am not massively rich and successful ! they shop at Waitrose or M and S only yet can be seen with a Q7 parked outside TKMaxx desperately seeking something with a designer label you would actually wear because it has a label that confers their taste and social standing, Its full of them round here, desperate to make a show of their wealth and taste, thats why things like RR Sports kind on rankle with me, probably a nice vehicle, ruined by hordes of Cheshire orange mummies and aplha male dads lording it round like they are special

Ok, we all like nice stuff but avoiding the standard run of the mill stuff, you tend to miss stuff, sometimes I prefer value beans, sometimes I want a cheapo burger for that authentic at Oulton Park taste rather than a "Finest" one with Herbs and all sorts of other bollocks.

Argos serves a role, it isnt Cash Converters but neither is it the Apple shop
Old 16 December 2010, 11:59 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I think a lot of people seek to justify their position in the social order by slagging certain things, full of it round here, people who wouldnt be seen dead in a Ford or Vauxhall, wouldnt shop at Asda, shock horror someone might think I am not massively rich and successful ! they shop at Waitrose or M and S only yet can be seen with a Q7 parked outside TKMaxx desperately seeking something with a designer label you would actually wear because it has a label that confers their taste and social standing, Its full of them round here, desperate to make a show of their wealth and taste, thats why things like RR Sports kind on rankle with me, probably a nice vehicle, ruined by hordes of Cheshire orange mummies and aplha male dads lording it round like they are special

Ok, we all like nice stuff but avoiding the standard run of the mill stuff, you tend to miss stuff, sometimes I prefer value beans, sometimes I want a cheapo burger for that authentic at Oulton Park taste rather than a "Finest" one with Herbs and all sorts of other bollocks.

Argos serves a role, it isnt Cash Converters but neither is it the Apple shop

I couldn't have ranted that better myself

Bang on dear boy. This place seems to be getting bad for snobbery such as this, especially the snowball effect bandwagon which usually ensues. "Oh I'm on a higher financial plane than many others so I'd best join in and mock the peasents"... Bollocks, you're just spending more on the same thing.

Guess what??? I hd Heinz baked beans and meatballs yesterday with toast for my breakfast. They were minging so I went back to my Asda (yes Asda god forbid) beans and had myself a lovely breakfast. Ner Ner

To Jeff, I wasn't inferring you in the snobbery thing, I've seen your arguing with regards to price matching in Wickes
Old 17 December 2010, 12:05 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I'd have to admit, I would have a real inner smugness if I was a billionaire and shopped in the likes Argos. I'd intentionally drive a rusty old Fiat Tipo, wear clothes bought from Asda and only dine/drink out in a Weatherspoons. Just to get the likes of the typical gold-digger orange-tanned bottle-blondes to sneer from their SUVs thinking that's their mortgaged show of wealth amounts to some sort of superiority....Only later for them to see my name at the top of the 'Mail's rich list.

Quick Reply: Argos it! Biggest scam in the country?