Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What would YOU do if you owned a lampshade made of human skin?

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2010, 01:00 AM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What would YOU do if you owned a lampshade made of human skin?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...t-2117357.html
Old 01 November 2010, 01:56 AM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

id burn it and never tell anyone i ever owned it
Old 01 November 2010, 09:57 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

How strange,

Both interesting and repulsive. The question what would you do.

Personally, however repulsive it is, it should be kept as a reminder of what

happened during that time.

Then on the other hand, the generation that was affected by the horrors

of what happened is dying out, so should it be destroyed?

Ask any child from our generation, if they know of Auschwitz or Belsen,

and many would not know, or care for that matter.

Yet to our generation, and our parents, its a chilling reminder of what took

place

Mart
Old 01 November 2010, 11:53 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would burn it in protest at the evil things which were done by the ****'s. If I got hold of the person responsible for it I would be severely tempted to burn him too, after he was skinned!

Les
Old 01 November 2010, 12:02 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to Auschwitz and Birkenau a couple of months ago.I think it's an important trip for anyone vaguely interested in either history or to put into perspective,the whole **** killing machine.
The sights of mass human hair and personal items taken from people-in particular children,just before Immediate and certain death is very sobering.
All relics of this time should be kept safe,forever,as a reminder.
Old 01 November 2010, 01:23 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

What on earth was the OP searching for should be destroyed IMHO + must be illegal

TX.
Old 01 November 2010, 02:05 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

It's a very sad and thought provoking item. To think of all the awful things that went on at this time, this lamp is possibly amongst many other disturbing pieces.

I wouldn't keep it in my home, I would want it somewhere safe, and possibly on display where it could help others to understand the horrors that happened at that point in history.

Some people would no doubt want to destroy it as a way to release the tortured soul of the person who's skin is upon it, but by doing that we stop many others understanding it's importance.
Old 01 November 2010, 03:39 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
What on earth was the OP searching for should be destroyed IMHO + must be illegal

TX.
It's the "most read" article on The Independent's website.
Old 01 November 2010, 05:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Suppose it depends whether or not it fits in with the colour scheme.
Old 02 November 2010, 01:39 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have to congratulate the Germans on preserving the concentration camps and not hiding what went on in those awful places.

I have visited Dachau and Sachsenhausen and the things that went on are quite unbelievable. Dachau was where three SOE girls were tortured and murdered, it is said they were thrown into the crematorium furnaces while still alive and in agony. At Sachsenhausen where all the commandos and spies were sent, never to come out alive, when I got to the building where the medical experiments were carried out I was forced to leave in a fury!

I spoke to an elderly local outside and he said that the camp was used as during the war under the ****'s until 1963 by the Eastern Bloc.

Les
Old 03 November 2010, 03:55 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I have to congratulate the Germans on preserving the concentration camps and not hiding what went on in those awful places.

Les
No, Les, the Americans took over the camps after the war. The Germans wanted them destroyed, surprise, surprise.

We worked in Munich in the mid-90's and went to Dachau one Sunday. There must have been around 300 visitors and in the three hours we were there, not a single word was spoken by anyone - there really is nothing to say. When we got back to the office the following day, one of the Germans who was 30 told us that when he was at school in the early 80's they taught him that the Holocaust never happened. It is now a requirement for all German children to visit one of the camps before they can graduate from high school.
Old 03 November 2010, 04:32 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

[Quote]We worked in Munich in the mid-90's and went to Dachau one Sunday. There must have been around 300 visitors and in the three hours we were there, not a single word was spoken by anyone - there really is nothing to say[Quote].

And in contrast,in Auschwitz,the tours are like conveyor belts-you also wouldnt believe what people will take photographs of,either(I could feel my blood boiling).
I'm glad I went really early and paid for a personal guide.
Birkenau,though,is very open and exposed,so you can really walk about and contemplate everything that you have seen.
The Polish have done a fine job in preserving everything,despite the **** efforts to blow it all up...

Oskar Schindlers factory in Krakow is also worthy of a visit ...
Old 03 November 2010, 04:38 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I hope it has an energy saving bulb..
Old 04 November 2010, 01:55 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 22BUK
No, Les, the Americans took over the camps after the war. The Germans wanted them destroyed, surprise, surprise.

We worked in Munich in the mid-90's and went to Dachau one Sunday. There must have been around 300 visitors and in the three hours we were there, not a single word was spoken by anyone - there really is nothing to say. When we got back to the office the following day, one of the Germans who was 30 told us that when he was at school in the early 80's they taught him that the Holocaust never happened. It is now a requirement for all German children to visit one of the camps before they can graduate from high school.
Yes I would imagine the camps were originally taken over by the US when they released the inmates at the end on the conflict of course. They also made local Germans visit the camps so that they could see for themselves what had really been happening in the name of their country!

The camps are preserved by the Germans now as I said, and the full story is told to those who visit. The German term for the camps is "Denkplatz" or a place to make you think!

My point was that the Germans although they are ashamed of what went on, want to make sure that all know the terrible facts so that it hopefully does not happen again. They are not trying to hide it but to use it as an awful example of what man can do to his fellow man.

Can you be surprised that people don't say much when confronted with such terrible truths?

Les