Right, fed up of waiting now...

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2010, 02:06 AM
Captain Carbon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right, fed up of waiting now...

...for the next iPhone.

I've heard the rumours of a mid-year release, i've read all the stories about how the prototype was left on a barstool blah blah blah...

I just want to know, when is it coming out and where can I buy it.

Does ANYONE have any information on this?

Cheers
Old 03 June 2010, 02:22 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never did get the iphone thing. All you peeps who have one - what do you actually do with them??
Old 03 June 2010, 02:37 AM
Captain Carbon
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong, i'm not someone who has to have the latest gadget...it's just my contract is up for renewal and I fancy getting an iPhone (behind the curve somewhat) but why get the current model if the new one is supposed to be released soon...
Old 03 June 2010, 02:54 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

So what will it add to your life?
Old 03 June 2010, 03:03 AM
Captain Carbon
Scooby Regular

Acceptance by my peers? The ability to sniggle at others with phones far less superior than my own? To boldly go where no non-geek has gone before? To load up Bloomberg so I can look cool on the train as well as call up my brokers in a crowded bar asking WHERE'S EURO NOW?!

Or the fact I can get applications that make a big pair of boobies wobble at my every whim...

Seriously, no reason other than there's nothing else out there I like at the moment....

Last edited by Captain Carbon; 03 June 2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03 June 2010, 03:28 AM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same boat as you Captain C, I don't need one, but just want one as it is a good phone and you can **** about with it. Plus if I don't really like it I can sell it on as they hold their value.

My contract is up next month, and I hope the phone is out by then......

There doesn't seem much info at all floating around. Maybe because the iPad has just been released, Apple don't want the 4G taking it's glory?
Old 03 June 2010, 03:42 AM
Captain Carbon
Scooby Regular

Spot on there...my own opinion is it's going to be at least August before we hear anything...as you say, why steal the thunder of the iPad (something which I really don't see the point of...unless you can get an even bigger pair of boobies to wobble )
Old 03 June 2010, 04:22 AM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

HUGE boobies!!!!

Yeah, I don't see the point of the ipad to be honest either... other than the boobies as stated above.

I hope it is before August really, as I'm like a child when it comes to renewal time, and have to get a new phone ASAP. Or if it is August I hope they announce the date soon.
Old 03 June 2010, 04:50 AM
Captain Carbon
Scooby Regular

I hope it is before August really, as I'm like a child when it comes to renewal time, and have to get a new phone ASAP. Or if it is August I hope they announce the date soon.
Hahahaha i'm the exact same! Knowing my luck i'll wait and wait and wait....get fed up with waiting, lock myself into something I won't want and THEN they'll fking release it...
Old 03 June 2010, 05:19 AM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

lol, yeah.....the 3GS!!
Old 03 June 2010, 07:43 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

It will be announced on the 7th (next week) and either ships that week or about 3 weeks later. Dont bother trying to call your provider, they know nothing of the new phone.
Old 03 June 2010, 07:48 AM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

It is being announce on the 7/06/10 about 6.00pm our time. Engaget.com will be having live text updates so we will know everything the new i phone will have by the end of the evening.

look here for more info

www.avforums/forum/iphone

web address is something like that but you get the idea.
Old 03 June 2010, 08:53 AM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Is the 3GS going to drop rapidly in price?
It better do cos I'm not shelling out for the new one. I can upgrade in July so not long to wait.
Old 03 June 2010, 10:11 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I reckon the manufacturers know just how long to leave it to encourage you to buy an older model just before they announce the latest one!

Les
Old 03 June 2010, 10:43 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I think the 3G dropped by ~£100 when the 3GS came out.
Old 03 June 2010, 12:05 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantom
Is the 3GS going to drop rapidly in price?
It better do cos I'm not shelling out for the new one. I can upgrade in July so not long to wait.
It wont drop rapidly or by that much as it is still quite a current model (i.e it only became in constraint a month or so ago), but do expect to see a glut of second hand models of both 3GS and 3G handsets on ebay around the 8th June onwards
Old 03 June 2010, 12:09 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

iPhone's hold their price surprisingly well. I can sell my 3G model for the same price I paid 1.5 years ago.

Steve
Old 03 June 2010, 12:26 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

To the OP (and despite what someone on this thread will say I am not trolling) think carefully before buying an iPhone and make sure you have had a play with one first if you have never used one before.

The new model may well be better than the old, but to be frank if your primary need is to make calls, use SMS and emails there are better phones on the market certainly than the current 3Gs model. The iPhone 3Gs for instance does not support SMS delivery receipts and has an SMS interface that to me seems a bit toy town.

It also has some reception issues that are denied by the Apple faithful yet the new model sports a redesigned back and antenna to address this (so obviously there was no problem in the first place ).

If you want lots of apps and to look cool then maybe it's the phone for you, but if you want to get on and do some business it may well not be.

The new model may well improve on all these features and if so it's good news, but with Apple it is sometimes their way or no way so be warned.
Old 03 June 2010, 12:34 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
I never did get the iphone thing. All you peeps who have one - what do you actually do with them??
They spend hours and hours!!!!

Charging them up
Old 03 June 2010, 12:44 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

No one has actually answered the question yet i notice. Is it a must have with no real use? Is it an entertainment device? I don't get it.....
Old 03 June 2010, 12:49 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

No one has actually answered the question yet i notice. Is it a must have with no real use? Is it an entertainment device? I don't get it.....
For me it is a convenient toy when I'm away: I can listen to music, watch downloaded movies and TV programs and play games. I had an iPod touch before and swapped to an iPhone as the ability to use a SIM to connect to the internet where-ever you are is useful rather than having to try and find a WiFi spot. I don't really use it as a phone, so I can't comment on call quality: The few times I have used it it was fine.

Other devices do all of the above as well, but I haven't found one that is a convenient to use as the iPhone. I hate iTunes (on the PC) but it does have everything in one place, easy to find applications etc...

Steve
Old 03 June 2010, 12:55 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I do 90% of my web browsing on it, use it for entertainment (music, TV, video, YouTube) and I even make phone calls on it and send and receive text messages as well as email. It's a useful entertainment device.

I'm not sure why you don't "get it", it's perfectly simple.
Old 03 June 2010, 01:04 PM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

Well with out thinking too much, I watch podcasts/films/programs on the train, listen to music in various places, use the odd annoying/comedy app down the pub, look where I going/where I am and whats around me (if needed) complete with what direction I pointing in. track ebay stuff, look at rightmove, read/write email, view the occasional webpage, play the odd game, send the odd text, use a load of network tools (mines jailbroke so use it as wireless router, tftp server, ftp server, etc...), can control both home and work computers, browse photos and mess around with lots of other apps (admit that don't use 98% of them more than once).

Ohh and I ring people

Its the first phone that I have had that does pretty much everything I want and more. Its certainly given the other manufactures a kick up the rear as well so even if you not an apple fan you will benefit from them trying to regain the lead.

The camera (in anything like low light and battery suck though) and I also don't use iTunes.
Old 03 June 2010, 11:43 PM
Captain Carbon
Scooby Regular

Thanks gents, I knew some guru on here would know

Basically I've had 'work' phones and the like...but I thought i'd give the, how did someone on here put it? entertainment device, a shot...

As long as it's not a Blackberry, i'm happy...and I can't wait to jump up and down on this bold thing in the middle of the nearest O2 retail outlet...
Old 04 June 2010, 02:01 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

HTC Desire?
Old 05 June 2010, 02:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Next iPhone will be named iPhone HD, as it's going to have a high resolution display. It will look very close the gizmodo pictures of the phone.

It will certainly be talked about, if not release date announced and possibly even released when Steve Jobs discusses it in the keynote address at WWDC next week.

As for exact specs and features, well, higher resolution screen, probably better camera, and possibly even front facing camera too. It'll be running OS 3.1.4 and will be able to run OS 4 when it's released (there will be a lot of talk about OS 4 at WWDC too, probably also a release candidate of the 4.0 SDK and software too)
I'd expect 16, 32 and 64 GB capacities, doubt there will be an 8GB version.

As for what people use them for, well, I've got a personal phone that I use for making calls, reading email, surfing, GPS now and then. Work wise, well, I'm one of the QA's for the iPlatform team at Kobo and use them primarily for testing purposes to ensure our apps operate correctly, so it's a little different from what one would associate with normal use at work. The same thing will be true when the HD comes out, we'll have a play with it, but it'll be used for testing and the "wow" factor will wear off pretty quickly, much as it has done with the iPad.

Last edited by Markus; 05 June 2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06 June 2010, 12:27 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I thought, this was going to be the Killer version,

Adobe, had worked on the flash issue, and a workable viable solution was

ready, that allowed flash & adobe use, but stayed within apples bizarre

t&c's, However Apple decided to go dolly out of pram, and change the

licence agreements, effectively killing any chance of dominating the

landscape which results in the phone only offering 80% web

browsing capability.

http://www.micromart.co.uk/news/31-g...eps-on-brewing

such a shame, now i really am torn on committing, i have a touch, which i

like, but do require flash for browsing

Mart
Old 06 June 2010, 09:59 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Make calls
Text
Email
Twitter
Browse Internet
watch live TV
play games
watch ripped DVDs
Monitor company network
VNC
RDP
Telnet to UNIX servers
Sat Nav
Find restaurants
Listen to Music
Read the news
Watch the news
real time F1 telemetry
Control my TV
Control my Slingbox

And a lot more

And for the BB lovers, I have a Bold 9700 sitting in the bottom of my laptop bag as an emergency phone, just in case the iPhone battery dies when traveling (Never had to use it yet!)

Last edited by Jaybird-UK; 06 June 2010 at 10:02 AM.