Multifuel Stove "Glass replacement"

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2010, 04:11 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Multifuel Stove "Glass replacement"

Hi guys,

Is it possible to purchase Heatproof glass for a multifuel stove in sheet form?

Yesterday is the 2nd time in two years that I have opened the door on my stove and the glass has fallen out of the door and smashed. The last time I got a replacement delivered for around £38.00, now it seems im looking at £48.00.....

Surely I can buy a piece and cut it with my Tile cutter?!?!

The Glass is only 297mm X 242mm with a Curved Top

Thanks anyone that can help, any saved funds will be spent on something with 4 wheels lol
Old 12 March 2010, 05:42 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cannot help with the glass as such - try a local glazier, google?

This may help with the falling out.

My oven glass parted from the oven door during vigerous cleaning. It was held in with a silicone sealant - Bless Zanussi!

The silicone sealant is a special type designed to withstand heat and is cured by heat, infact and quite capable of handling 300 degrees that our oven can muster.

Please pm me if you would like the make/spec of the sillicone as this may well prevent the glass coming out in future.

It dried in 24 hrs prior to be put back in for its finall baking and cure. I did this some 4 or so months ago and it has held just fine even with a fatty putting pressure on it to clean it.

about £8.00 a pop for a tube (like the type for sealing window frames, works in a sealer 'gun/frame' thingie, i was quoted some £50.00 to re-seal the door soi a bargain really!

Last edited by The Zohan; 12 March 2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12 March 2010, 05:45 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are plenty of glass companies that will cut you a piece of heat resistant glass..

Northern glass near me did me a piece for my Morso burner..It was 1/4 of the price.
Old 12 March 2010, 06:11 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
cannot help with the glass as such - try a local glazier, google? silicone sealant capable of handling 300 degrees
Hiya Paul, thanks for the reply much appreictaed. Unfortuantly the Silicone at 300 degrees wouldnt withsatnd a hot enough temp. I used silcone and fire cement for the flue which maxed out at 700 degrees which ive had to replace a few time as the cements is crumbling away. The Silicone kind of does do the job but dont want to chance it on the door when the landing pad is slate tiles...

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
There are plenty of glass companies that will cut you a piece of heat resistant glass..

Northern glass near me did me a piece for my Morso burner..It was 1/4 of the price.
Again thanks for the reply..... This sounds excellent, Im up North so I'll google them. I did google but couldnt find much in the way of glass for stoves, I found lots of glass for Fire doors which I dont think would be upto the job as its only time delay fire resistant and I dont think it would be upto long durations of extreme heat.

Thanks guys for the advice.

Rob