Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

French toll roads - paying the toll

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2010, 11:17 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question French toll roads - paying the toll

Do they take Credit Cards or do I need an ashtray full on Euro coins?

Also, what is the reality behind the urban myth of being timed between the toll booths to determine your speed?

Ta

Steve
Old 21 January 2010, 11:31 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Well you have several lanes; manual or automatic. So its down to making sure you get in the right lane (tip: the manual kiosk lane is usually the one with the queue ). Automatic you throw your change into a giant dish, manual you pay a lady. I presume you could use a card on a manual kiosk, but I never have, just used notes and got the change.

I have seen the toll bariers manned with the police on every barrier with them looking at cars and the people in them, whether they were doing spot checks or looking for dodgy vehicles or they were being signaled by the booth operator of speeders, I don't know.

Not all toll roads in France require a ticket at the start of the tolled section, so if you don't have ticket at the start point, then you can't be timed between the start and end.

Plenty of speed cameras cunningly hidden though and I'm sure at one point we were being followed by a helicopter (I know Spain has them for tracking speeders, not sure about France)! Also watch out for two tone blue Imprezas with blue lights hiding in a layby or bridge, waiting to pounce on speeders.

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 January 2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 21 January 2010, 11:34 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Ta!

Steve
Old 21 January 2010, 11:51 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure if you can pay credit card - think you can some places

Youd be unpopular in any traffic tho

You could pay up front ( telepaege )

Last edited by dpb; 21 January 2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 21 January 2010, 11:56 AM
P1SWRT
Scooby Regular

yes - every toll booth takes credit cards. - i prefer to go through the manned booths just in case.

a lot of motorways run parallel to the national roads and they are freeeeeee! so if you are not in a mad rush use the national roads.

its quite expensive on toll roads in France now it was about £50-£60.00 to get from Calais to La Rochelle and I used a lot of national roads.

I allow around £150.00 for our trucks from Calais down to the Spanish border.

HTH

Cheers
Rob
Old 21 January 2010, 11:59 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Not sure if you can pay credit card - think you can some places

Youd be unpopular in any traffic tho

You could pay up front ( telepaege )
yes you can -- much like the M6 toll where you pop you CC or debit card in

the exciting bit is waiting for the card to be authorized with 30 impatient frogs behind you

if unsuccessful because the UK banks block your card you will have a chance to try your “combat” French

or take the easy route and pay cash
Old 21 January 2010, 12:02 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I've never seen anyone get nicked for speeding on toll roads either.

I've driven about 3000 miles on them in the last few years and rarely go below 100mph. I'm usually getting overtaken too!
Old 21 January 2010, 12:07 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

i have two friends that have been done on the road from Reims to Calias (the Ski run)

racing back for the ferry -- it must be like taking candy from a baby for the French police
Old 21 January 2010, 12:52 PM
AnnieN
Scooby Regular

My hubby is never one for observing speed limits and we've never been done on a toll road in France, mind the last time we were there was the year before last (Calais to La Rochelle) so don't know if it's changed since then.
Old 21 January 2010, 01:11 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

My bro in law has been nicked for speeding , they live there - and im pretty sure it was on the motorway
Old 21 January 2010, 01:12 PM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

Depends when you're going but might be worth doing the telepeage thing. We went in the summer and the queues were mental, except the telepeage lane. No idea how you get one though!

Won't complain about the cost though, the autoroutes are so good and driver discipline puts us to shame. Easiest 400 miles I ever did.
Old 21 January 2010, 01:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Telepeage is the way to go. You can buy a transponder and set up an account at major Autoroute offices, eg: Boulogne on the A16. Or do it on the internet before going. Cost is an extra €2 per month in which you use it.

Telepeage has two BIG advantages: you can use it easily in a RHD car when alone, and there are rarely queues, so you just sail through ahead of everyone.

Failing that, credit card is easy: no coins etc to drop. Plus you don't have to worry have you got the right change. None of mine have ever been more than a few seconds authorising.

Speeding: Never heard of ANYONE getting done after being timed between pay booths, the French mock the idea.
BUT: Speed traps are often cunningly hidden and the flics are at the booths waiting: pay the toll, then come with me and pay the fine, sir. Fines can be HUGE and MUST be paid on the spot, your car WILL be immobilised and you WILL be arrested if you can't pay, or you are, IIRC 50kph above the limit

Look for "broken down" cars on the hard shoulder, esp under overbridges: they often contain a prone flic with laser goggles, bonnets and hatches up, spare wheel on the ground etc for cover
Look for unmarked cars parked up escape routes and with large-ish devices mounted on the bumpers.
If you see a sign warning of speed cameras, slow to the limit, there WILL BE one.

My advice re: speed is to watch the French, be content with 80mph or so, and come home without getting done

Last edited by alcazar; 21 January 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 21 January 2010, 01:26 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Theyll march you off to a cashpoint surely if you havnt got cash on you !
Old 21 January 2010, 01:57 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Update on this

I have just spoken to a colleague at work who assures me he did get caught by the police, just after he left the peage

The police car was sitting just after peage (in the lay by) and immediately followed him and presented him with a printout of his speed between the two toll booths

Maybe the police can sit after the exit peage and get speeding details form the booths wirelessly

So it is not automatic, but if they want to they can and do

or maybe it was an earlier speed trap as said previously - i suppose stick to 80 fast enough really

and yes they march you to a cash point to get the fine

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 21 January 2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 21 January 2010, 02:02 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Thanks all.

So I'll have some cash and the card handy - depends what my wife fancies paying with! I'll also stick to 80mph - easy with cruise control.

Steve
Old 21 January 2010, 02:05 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

they can also take your license on the spot if you are 30kph over the limit, and I know of British drivers whpo have had this done, they post it back to the British embassy.

for the telepeage transponder do you not need to have a french bank account?
Old 21 January 2010, 02:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Telepeage transponder: no, you can have it taken off a credit card.

I have to say that I've spoken to quite a few French people about this "between the toll booths" business and no-one believes it. They certainly DO, however, set up speed traps just BEFORE the booths, with flics at the booths waiting to stop you.

Minimum fine is €90, rising steeply if you are above certain speed bands, 20kph, 30kph, 50kph ABOVE the posted limit.

Forgot to say, watch these two:
In wet conditions, motrorway speeds are AUTOMATICALLY reduced to a maximum of 110kph, and they can and do enforce it.
When EXITING the motorway, up slip roads, onto rest areas, or approaching tolls, the posted limit will be 90, then 70, then 50, in quick succesion. They can, and DO enforce those too.
Old 21 January 2010, 02:41 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

The speed things between the Peage's is rubbish. I'd have got done loads of times by now. When I had the 944 Turbo it sat above 120mph for sometime.

By the time you've queued to pay your cash (especially in the summer holidays) your average speed could be way down.

Last edited by davyboy; 21 January 2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 21 January 2010, 02:47 PM
room 512
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve vRS

Also, what is the reality behind the urban myth of being timed between the toll booths to determine your speed?

Ta

Steve

Don't forget your dayglo orange vest and all the other gubbins they make you carry in your car to drive on their roads these days.

Old 21 January 2010, 04:32 PM
The_Beast
Scooby Regular

Watch them though when you give notes. One of them short changed me crafty sod on the way to Cannes.
Old 21 January 2010, 09:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by room 512
Don't forget your dayglo orange vest and all the other gubbins they make you carry in your car to drive on their roads these days.

Yes, our Seat (Spanish registered) has these all supplied as standard from the dealer; Day-glow vests, spare bulbs, triangles, torch etc.

Why the UK (as part of the EU) doesn't bother with this never fails to amaze me (along with all the cars driving round with only one headlamp working).
Old 21 January 2010, 09:11 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Steve vRS

Ta

Steve
We used to always use the credit card lane as the rest were usually heaving.
And his nibs was flashed by a camera on our last holiday there, which was two years ago. At the next toll, a Police car was waiting. Might not have been for us, but his nibs had a sweat on
Old 21 January 2010, 09:38 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

When I went through Europe I paid for every toll with my credit card. Was real fast, and didn't have a problem once.
Old 21 January 2010, 09:43 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The_Beast
Watch them though when you give notes. .
quite --I gave one that said "fvck of you sill french ******" -- silly bint gave me a really sarky look -- nutter
Old 21 January 2010, 09:51 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

You can check the prices of the toll roads on the AA planner online.
I have heard of them getting you at the toll but more likely with a little tripod at the side of the road or from a bridge. Watch out for the fixed cameras they always have a sign before but are usually in the central reservation fairly low down and plain gray.
€45 is the minimum fine I got one last week (mobile camera) but I am on French plates so you would probably be OK if you only get one ticket.

I usually stay off the toll roads as said above there is usually a main road that runs along them and the Police usually sit on the tolls. It doesn't take that much longer and you get to see the countryside through France