Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any guitar experts in ? I want to learn how to play.

Old 21 January 2010, 11:25 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to be prepared to give it at least six months before you expect to get anywhere. The muscles in your fingers in your left hand will take at least six weeks to build up strength, and it will take up to six months to train the relevant neurons in your brain to move the fingers independently and with enough control.

Get yourself a guitar teacher who can teach you good basics from the word go and give you lots of practice drills to build up stength and control in your left hand and coordination between your picking and fingering.
Old 22 January 2010, 11:59 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

I need some advice, my guitar arrived today which i bought from an ebay seller. Their are some really bad marks on the black coloured plate that sits at the bottom front, they are the type of marks as if the plate has been used. Also their is a crack on the finish near one of the screws that holds the plate.

This was listed as brand new by the seller.

Here are some pics of what i mean

This is the actualy guitar

pic of the crack near to one of the plate holding screws

Another pic of the crack on the finish

A pic of the black plate which has lots of marks

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 22 January 2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 22 January 2010, 12:51 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

that would be going back to the seller if it was me.
Old 22 January 2010, 01:04 PM
Da Booga
Scooby Regular

Are the marks on a protective plastic cover on the pick guard?

It looks like it to me, if so you should just be able to peel the plastic off.
Old 22 January 2010, 01:11 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

What a shame Rob, I am sure you are really disappointed

I can't really see from your pictures but if it is as you say than it has to be returned for full refund including courier costs. Do not accept an exchange or any offer of a new scratch plate or similar. A real sod.

Do you have any decent music/guitar shops in your area? It would be so much better if you could get something you like from there. Or use a recommended non-eBay on line source like www.stringsdirect.co.uk A shop will be more amenable to throwing in a few extras like some picks and spare strings as well. They would also be able to provide a correct gig bag and advise on all the other gubbins you are going to need. We use Andertons in Guildford (see their website) and there are a couple of shops in Hove/Brighton if you are in SE.

In the meantime why don't you get an old acoustic for £30 odd quid which you willl find in the local papers. At least you can start to get the feel of some chords which will stand you in good stead.

I would be very surprised if anyone posting on here suggests you keep it.

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 22 January 2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 22 January 2010, 01:35 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

You can clearly see that the pick-ups still have the plastic covering..... As Da Booga said, make sure it is not simply that the scratch plate has the plastic cover on.... as these can look tatty from day 1
Old 22 January 2010, 02:06 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Da Booga
Are the marks on a protective plastic cover on the pick guard?

It looks like it to me, if so you should just be able to peel the plastic off.
I feel a right pratt

Your spot on, those marks are from a very thin protective film over the plate which is almost impossible to see with the naked eye, i think if most people had looked they would have thought similar. Its only when you get right up close where your virtually touching it with your eyes that you can see where the film has slightly lifted near that screw, the camera magnifies it more as i took a macro close up shot which is why ytou could spot it from the pic but not with the naked eye.

I did check round the other edges of the plate first off to see if their was a film over the top but its so well sealed and you can`t see it, its not like normal protective film you get, this is micro thin. Like someone spotted you could just see it near that screw where it had lifted slightly, i missed that from the pic as i was just concentrating on what looked like a scratch.

I`ll have a closer look at the guitar now, touch "maple" wood the rest is of it is ok. They look a stunning guitar.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 22 January 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 22 January 2010, 02:26 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Right, so now you have the guitar, what about an amp. If you're going to be imitating the Edge you're going to need at least a twin-channel amp with switchable sustain/distortion. As fas as effects go, you'll need a bare minimum of one digital delay pedal, perhaps two; a stereo chorus pedal and a compressor.

Did you see the Edge on the telly recently? He had two wardrobe-sized racks full of electronic sh1te.
Old 22 January 2010, 02:32 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Right, so now you have the guitar, what about an amp. If you're going to be imitating the Edge you're going to need at least a twin-channel amp with switchable sustain/distortion. As fas as effects go, you'll need a bare minimum of one digital delay pedal, perhaps two; a stereo chorus pedal and a compressor.

Did you see the Edge on the telly recently? He had two wardrobe-sized racks full of electronic sh1te.
Farmer recommened this amp earlier on in the thread which i`m going to bid on, as i`m only a beginner and will be a beginner for a long while it makes sense to start off with something like this

Roland Cube Guitar Amp on eBay (end time 24-Jan-10 15:43:29 GMT)

I didn`t see The Edge on TV, what channel was it on so i can look out for it again. I`m sure it will be on youtube at some point. If i take to the guitar it will probably be at least 2 years before i`m capable of anything that remotely sounds like The Edge
Old 22 January 2010, 02:41 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

There are loads of youtube clips, but try this for size.

YouTube - The Edge and echo from 'The Story of Guitar' part 3 by U2place.com
Old 22 January 2010, 03:08 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Its definitley going back, ive had longer to inspect it more closely and came across these manufacturing defects that shouldn`t be their with anything brand new, i`m gutted really.

Where the neck meets the body

Another one of where the neck meets the body

These are like stone chips that you get on a bumper, their are quite a few down the side and with them being white they stand out like a sore thumb on the dark finish

Old 22 January 2010, 06:34 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

If you think you're going to get heavily into effects have a look at Line6 Pods. These are computer controlled effects systems, with downloadable models of various amps, effects pedals and cabinets. I have one of their older TonePort systems hooked up between my guitar and the line input of my amp, and it is extremely versatile - all my old effects pedals have been consigned to a drawer.

You can also use it to record (useful once you think you are improving as you can fail to spot bum notes or other problems while you are playing - but you can be sure an audience would hear them).
Old 22 January 2010, 10:31 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Hi Rob, I bought a Gibson Les Paul standard with similer marks around the neck. To be honest I wouldn't worry too much about those. The chances are the action ( string height from pickups) is probably quite high. This should be adjusted, hopefully for nothing by a mate who plays a bit otherwise by a friendly music shop or teacher.
Truth is guitars that are played get marked up (buckle rash on the back etc) so it's best to get over this early on.
Oh and sorry if I cause any offence but the sounds that the edge produces I would anticipate that if you practice diligently you should be able to produce ( with the correct amount of delay and rererb) in 3-4 months time.
Old 27 January 2010, 12:09 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Thanks again for the feedback, i appreciate the replies and ive took in all the opinions.

Can you offer an opinion on this amp and has anyone heard of or dealt with musicroom.com ?

Roland: Cube 20X Guitar Amplifier at Musicroom.com - Instruments & Accessories

here is the spec

http://www.roland.com/products/en/CUBE-20X/specs.html

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 27 January 2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 27 January 2010, 05:09 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Didnt me and Bubba have some posts on here showing a couple of guitars??
Old 27 January 2010, 06:10 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
Didnt me and Bubba have some posts on here showing a couple of guitars??

No, mate, that was on the similar thread about the number of Epiphone LPs on ebay.
Old 27 January 2010, 06:27 PM
konceppt
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,
I am in the same boat sort of.i have been learning for two months now.i have acoustic and electric guitars but the acoustic is used the most.It takes a long time to get your fingers to do what you want and to make sure you are not touching other strings when playing chords but i am just starting to pick it up.

I have learnt exclusively using a website i found called Welcome to Free and Easy Guitar and watching the tutorial videos and instructional videos.And you can also learn to play songs you know while you are learning the basics.I didnt go out and spend loads of cash because i knew i couldnt play so its wasted.i bought a cheap acoustic and a stagg s203 electric and a practice amp.I am just starting to play stuff thats recognisable but its frustrating at first.also prepare for stinging fingers.......
Old 27 January 2010, 06:48 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Konceppt, i wish you well mate, i have all those stinging fingers to come

A guitar instructor who i called yesterday replied back to me today, i was due to buy a guitar this afternoon but the instructor put forward a proposal for me, he is going to go to the music shop with me on friday and help me to decide on a suitable guitar along with an amp that best suits the guitar.

He plays in a band himself and he`s a fully qualified guitar instructor, whats even better is he`s a fan of U2 (my favourite band) and he can play many of The Edge`s riffs, its great to have someone experienced coming along with me to select the right guitar, it will either be the Les Paul or a Fender as thats what most The Edge`s riffs are played on and thats the style i want to try and learn along with a bit of Oasis and The Sex Pistols.

Obviously i`ll be a long way from playing anything like that for a good while, it will probably be "ba ba black sheep" and "humpty dumpty sat on a wall" for a while until i can pick up chords and get to know a guitar
Old 27 January 2010, 07:07 PM
konceppt
Scooby Regular

you will be surprised how easy picking riffs is.i find chord progression the most difficult.
the riffs are mainly single notes so its reasonably easy depending on how many frets you have to move and the speed that you play.I have been learning some basic riffs.
honestly take a look at that website free and easy guitar.com you will be surprised what you can learn in a short space of time.

i am going to progress to a more expensive guitar when i can play at a level that justifys the expenditure.
I considered pro lessons but i imagine as with most things progress will be slow (deliberately or not?)
requiring more and more lessons (and cash)

the internet is your friend.learn the basics and in the meantime i found it inspiring to learn a small piece of a song you like.go on youtube and type "how to play........."

there will be loads of lessons.it keeps you going to play small bits of something you know as basic chord playing can make you think you are not learning.
And as you perfect the small bits of songs your basic guitar control improves.But make sure you learn the basics as well.its pointless perfecting one song if thats all you can play after 3 months for example.but if you get frustrated and think you are not improving then go back and play the snippets that you can play (and play well) then think.3 months ago you couldnt play a note.it keeps you going as it can be frustrating sometimes (especially when your fingers are killing you)
Old 27 January 2010, 10:48 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

If you are considering paying £450 just buy some sh*tter to see if you like playing or save another £200 and go for a gibson studio which you can then look at and pass on to your grandchildren. Seriously though don't waste £450 on a n epiphhone.
IMO
Old 28 January 2010, 08:07 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
A guitar instructor who i called yesterday replied back to me today, i was due to buy a guitar this afternoon but the instructor put forward a proposal for me, he is going to go to the music shop with me on friday and help me to decide on a suitable guitar along with an amp that best suits the guitar.
Shrewd move on his part. Call me a cynic, but he probably gets a commission when he brings his students to the shop.
Old 28 January 2010, 12:35 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Shrewd move on his part. Call me a cynic, but he probably gets a commission when he brings his students to the shop.
He didn`t know which shop i was buying it from until i told him on the phone, while we were talking he asked me what type of music i like and if i already had a guitar, it was at this point i told him i was buying a guitar that afternoon which is when he offered to go to the music shop with me when he was next free which is friday.

Dawsons where i`m buying it from have some music teachers listed on their website in a classified section, he doesn`t even have a listing on their site so he has no ties with the shop.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 28 January 2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 28 January 2010, 02:05 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Can anyone tell me what type of fender this lad is using

YouTube - Where the Streets have no name - U2 Cover
Old 28 January 2010, 02:47 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

According to the info on the video, it's a Fender US Strat. I'm surprised to see no teardrop end on the whammy bar. I wonder if that's a modern thing.
Old 28 January 2010, 02:56 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

According to the info on the video, it's a Fender US Strat. I'm surprised to see no teardrop end on the whammy bar. I wonder if that's a modern thing.
Thanks Bubba, i did have a quick look for some guitar info but i couldn`t spot anything obvious. Thats a cracking sound coming from his guitar on that riff, i appreciate he probably has some type of effects running at the same time, the sound he has created is exactly why i want to take up the guitar, if i could get to being a quarter as good as that i`ll be happy
Old 28 January 2010, 05:58 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Rob..... gonna go all techie now lol

Edge splits his signal between two amps... and here is the likely path for the effect for 'streets'

There's 3 delays. This is the most likely signal path (either option will sound the same):
Guitar (Stratocaster) -> Signal split A/B:

A -> 352ms (1-2 repeats) == 3/16 @ 129 bpm
with modulation
[ with input signal + about 70% delay volume mix ] -> Amp #1 --- Panned mostly Right

B -> 523ms (1 repeat only) == 9/32 @ 129 bpm
with modulation
[ with input signal + about 50% delay volume mix ] -> Amp #2 --- Panned mostly Left

some websites for those looking to emmulate the sound of U2

UberProAudio.com - U2 - The Edge Guitar Gear Rig and Equipment
A Study of The Edge’s Guitar Delay (U2)
Old 28 January 2010, 06:20 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

It looks identical to my daughter' s guitar, although her's is a hippy blue flower paintjob (a 2004 reissue of a 60's model) made in Japan I think rather than US - so probably better quality than a Korean made Fender, not as good as a US one.

She wants to sell it if you are interested. Fender Fender Blue Flower Stratocaster - www.guitarsandeffects.com has a good picture. PM me if you are interested - I'll understand if you're not as the paintjob is not everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited by scud8; 28 January 2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 28 January 2010, 06:36 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Here's a sweet sound from a guitar, at least to me but may be a bit 60s for you youngsters

YouTube - Roy Buchanan - Sweet Dreams

It's a Fender but don't thinks it's a Strat'. Anyone know? But don't forget it is played by one of the world's best guitarists. Note bending of strings for effect!

Also check U Tube for Peter Green and "Supernatural" and "Need your love so bad". Lovely tone. When Peter went all strange with drugs he sold most things including a very valuable 1959 Gibson Les Paul which ended up with Gary Moore.

Sorry my kind of music

David
Old 28 January 2010, 06:44 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

That's a Fender Telecaster, David. A single coil sound but a different sound yet again. I bought a couple of those when I was playing in my Stranglers trib but I've now sold one of them on. A great sounding guitar with the right band, otherwise a bit limited.
Old 28 January 2010, 06:48 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Roy Buchanan played an old battered Fender Telecaster (at least that's what he's pictured with on the back cover of "Rescue Me").

Last edited by douglasb; 28 January 2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Bubba beat me to it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any guitar experts in ? I want to learn how to play.