Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone used vicks first defense?

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2009, 11:35 PM
chris270181
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone used vicks first defense?

As above anyone used it and is is it any good?
Old 22 December 2009, 11:48 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

sounds like a court case
Old 23 December 2009, 12:06 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Yes

i use it and both my parents and we all think we have suffered with less colds since we started using it a couple of years back when we 1st discovered it.

It doesnt appear to be 100% i am just getting over a cold but i found it very effective in a small open plan office when somebody in the room had a cold at stopping me catching where previous years i always caught the communal cold.

This combined with hand washing and not rubbing mouth nose or eyes unless i had washed my hands first meant i managed last winter with no cold or flu but all my direct collegues in my office were ill at one time or another with colds.i did find that using it more often than stated on the bottle seemed to improve its effectiveness.

Still might be black magic but when meeting a group of clients all sneezing over you it was easier to smile and be nice instead of wondering why they werent at home in their sick beds knowing that you have some chance of not catching their colds.
Old 23 December 2009, 12:11 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

waste of time

simple placebo affect

nothing cures or prevents common colds or flu AFAIK

please note the phrase "relieves symptoms"

merry chimbox by the way
Old 23 December 2009, 12:15 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I used to use Vic's many year's ago for a different use, All I'm saying is it involved late night's and loud music
Old 23 December 2009, 12:59 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I dont think it is there to treat the symptoms.

it lines your nose with a substance which i assume reduces the germs success at infecting you?

obviously there are others ways to catch colds.
Old 23 December 2009, 10:30 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I tried it once but it took me ages to spread it ove rmy chest... ;-)
Old 23 December 2009, 11:25 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If you use it the very first hint of a slight sore throat or sinus issue it works, or as a preventative if your partner/work collegue has a cold. Once you have a sore thorat or a proper sniffle its too late.

Combine with regular handwashing and not touching your face. And bumping up your dose of multi vitamins.

Problem is using it properly, as in getting it to squirt right up your nasal passage so it goes down the back of your throat (tastes horrible). And resisting the temptation to blow your nose for at least 5mins (otherwise you just blow it back out again).

Its basically nasal irrigation. So its just washing out and changing the PH in your sinuses incase any nasty has took up residence in there before it multiplies and spreads further. It won't cure an infection that has already taken hold.

*this advice has been given to you by SN's resident germophobe, I haven't left the house in 6 years
Old 23 December 2009, 11:43 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I swear by it too. Although this year I left it too late, until I had a very sore thoat, but gave it a couple of squirts anyway . . . big mistake Hurt like hell

Apart from major flu last year which knocked me out for about a month, it's kept colds at bay if used early enough.
Old 23 December 2009, 12:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I still remember that smell from my mother putting it on my chest when I was a nipper!

Les
Old 23 December 2009, 12:04 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Girlfriend uses vicks as some sort of all round elixir *

i hate the stuff more or less

Last edited by dpb; 23 December 2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: * the chest rub stuff
Old 23 December 2009, 02:40 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
Yes

i use it and both my parents and we all think we have suffered with less colds since we started using it a couple of years back when we 1st discovered it.

It doesnt appear to be 100% i am just getting over a cold but i found it very effective in a small open plan office when somebody in the room had a cold at stopping me catching where previous years i always caught the communal cold.

This combined with hand washing and not rubbing mouth nose or eyes unless i had washed my hands first meant i managed last winter with no cold or flu but all my direct collegues in my office were ill at one time or another with colds.i did find that using it more often than stated on the bottle seemed to improve its effectiveness.

Still might be black magic but when meeting a group of clients all sneezing over you it was easier to smile and be nice instead of wondering why they werent at home in their sick beds knowing that you have some chance of not catching their colds.
Blimey, do you spend all day washing your hands then. Serious OCD

We've had several rounds of bad colds/flu/swine flue where I work and so far I haven't succumbed. I think my regular alcohol intake really helps, no germs can survive my bloodstream.

Having said that I'll probably be really ill over Christmas now
Old 23 December 2009, 08:17 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

No i dont spend all day washing my hands just dont touch my face unless i have clean hands but that is basic hygene so i assume we are all the same there.
Old 23 December 2009, 08:41 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adrian F
No i dont spend all day washing my hands just dont touch my face unless i have clean hands but that is basic hygene so i assume we are all the same there.
Not really. I work in a shop and I don't think they'd be too impressed if I kept popping downstairs to wash my hands every time I might need to touch my face.
Old 23 December 2009, 09:33 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I've tried it twice and the pain from using it was worse than the cold!

You can buy a salt water spray called Sterimar to flush your sinuses. Also good for when you're flying. Available from Boots.
Old 23 December 2009, 09:44 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Not really. I work in a shop and I don't think they'd be too impressed if I kept popping downstairs to wash my hands every time I might need to touch my face.

Glad I shop online. Hopefully the people who do handle the goods don't deal directly with the public, and will have washed their hands.
Old 23 December 2009, 10:51 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

It's awful stuff. Better off with the vapour rub, on the chest. Preferably done by a very nice hunky bloke

I used it once, and the spray ran down my throat. Oh yes, a very nice cough appeared after a snotty nose. Bet that stuff spread the germs

Give it a miss
Old 23 December 2009, 11:36 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Glad I shop online. Hopefully the people who do handle the goods don't deal directly with the public, and will have washed their hands.
FFS, I hardly mean I go to the toilet, wipe my **** and don't wash my hands after, before touching my face/stock whatever.

I have to tidy/fill stuff up etc. all day and couldn't possibly go and wash my hands every time a bit dust or germs touched me. I would guess it would be much the same in any warehouse you order stuff from via the internet.
Old 23 December 2009, 11:40 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

been around for 5 years or so........the rhinovirus (spelling) isn't impressed LOL

Spray that 'makes short work of a cold' - Times Online

Shaun
Old 24 December 2009, 12:45 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Lisawrx i was only in the office 1 or 2 days a week the rest of time i was out on site or meeting clients to price work or for progress meetings etc so couldnt wash my hands frequently either, and having been into some of the places we have to work in you would want a complete shower.

So you probably get use to being aware of where you put your hands as they are covered in "dirt"

A lot of shops get round hand washing now by getting staff to use disposable gloves when required.

It does give a mild sting in the nose the 1st time you use it but when i get a cold i suffer it for much longer than the minute of stinging so personally i find it worth using obviously from the comments above some people dont like it but if you want to find out if it works for you then you do need to follow the instructions and not just take one dose and expect it to stop the cold from that.

Last edited by Adrian F; 24 December 2009 at 12:52 AM.