Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cycle scheme vouchers arrived, going to pick up our bike first thing tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2009, 08:12 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Cycle scheme vouchers arrived, going to pick up our bike first thing tomorrow

Woo-hoo

I am getting a 2009 19" Rockhopper disk which is more than up to the job - for me anyway, jenny is getting a girlie mountain bike, cannot remember what it is TBH

Phoned the shop, bikes still in stock, will be there at 9am when they open, my chubby smiling face pressed against the door!

roll on tomorrow morning

reccommendations for helmets, pump, lock and lights gratefully received

I am real excited, feels like christmas has come early

get fit regieme has officially started

Last edited by The Zohan; 11 September 2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11 September 2009, 11:50 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

?
Old 11 September 2009, 11:54 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

?
Old 12 September 2009, 05:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevin Greeley

?
Why do i never see her on my commute ?
Old 12 September 2009, 05:05 PM
yoza
BANNED

She sunbathes with a bikini top on, yet cycles around in public with foil nipple tassles, how odd.

Nice....but odd.
Old 12 September 2009, 05:32 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

drove the 20 miles to collect the bikes, the rockhopper had a damaged mount for the front disk bad news!

The shop said that they would swap the forks out if they had a spare pair, or a pair on another bike. Ended up with better forks - Rockshox Dart 3 model and bike ready in just over an hour .

Good work Phil Corley Cycles!:
Old 12 September 2009, 07:36 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Result!
I have just reserved a bike today. Scott hybrid, was £429, shop were discounting it to £350 so with the scheme i should get it for around £180, bargain!
One more for the collection
Old 12 September 2009, 08:52 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Nice one

Cant wait to get a new bike myself. Early 2010 for me I think, nothing too ott.
Old 13 September 2009, 10:01 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I am going to try and get a road bike and a hardtail via CTW, spend 500 quid on each, see which I prefer, basically two for one if they let me, I am happy with this as the last one has done 3000 miles back and forth to work whilst others have brand new £1000 MTB's that have NEVER been used.
Old 13 September 2009, 01:18 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I am going to try and get a road bike and a hardtail via CTW, spend 500 quid on each, see which I prefer, basically two for one if they let me, I am happy with this as the last one has done 3000 miles back and forth to work whilst others have brand new £1000 MTB's that have NEVER been used.
We got two vouchers, mine rockhopper was £560 or so and Jennys £ 300.00

am going to use mine for work in the summer (2010) it is around 15 miles to work so will need to get fit and build up some stamina, put 15 miles or so in it since yesterday afternoon and now have a sore *** and various muscles are reminding me that i still have them and they haven't had that much use recently!!
Old 13 September 2009, 01:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Paul, sling some road tyres on it, the aches and pains will go after a while, usually to be replaced with some new ones !

15 miles is quite do-able, probably a couple of times a week, I do a 14 mile round trip and thats dead easy now and I am not Matteeboy or anything, I do use a fast hybrid though which is easier than an mtb, I try to do every day but most weeks its 4 days as someone needs picking up or something.

With the vouchers was it for the same employee or one each ?
Old 13 September 2009, 01:38 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yes, we did one for each employer, the tyres are not too 'off road' if you know what i mean i think it is a sedentary lifestyle that has caused the aches and pains which is now changing. It was great to go out with the kids on the bikes, in the sun yesterday
Old 13 September 2009, 03:07 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I was going to get a new bike on the CTW scheme but decided I wanted something for more than a grand - that and my Tricross is perfect for the 28 mile round trip I do.... So I got myself a Trek Mandone 4.5 (triple) for £1600

Done a few 30mile+ circuits and it's just great - unfortunately MY weight kind of negates the huge weight savings the bike affords... hey ho though - it's still a great bike to ride.
Old 13 September 2009, 04:07 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Matteboy is currently viewing this thread probably foaming at the mouth at all these peasant spec bikes and stroking his prized 2k orange bike
Old 13 September 2009, 06:51 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Yes, we did one for each employer, the tyres are not too 'off road' if you know what i mean i think it is a sedentary lifestyle that has caused the aches and pains which is now changing. It was great to go out with the kids on the bikes, in the sun yesterday
Need to get my lazy brood onto their bikes, trouble is the youngest has a BMX which is useless for more than a few yards, eldest has an el-cheapo full suss mountain bike that weight 3/4 of a tonne.

I still do sedentary but I enjoy my ride to work, must do as I ride past a perfectly serviceable car, I see it as a way of getting exercise that doesnt involve an hour spent somewhere on the way to or from work, no fees and I save some money on petrol but the time is the main thing.

Dont think cycling is just a thing for sunny days, cold, dark, raining or whatever, as long has you have the right gear on its fine, sometimes getting drenched is wonderful, you get home refreshed, cold and damp and then can justify an hour in a nice hot bath.
Old 13 September 2009, 09:26 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Matteboy is currently viewing this thread probably foaming at the mouth at all these peasant spec bikes and stroking his prized 2k orange bike
My last bike was 1500.00, full suspension bike by Giant. TBH i brought it, rode it and just didn't like it. cannot put my finger on why, it was the right size, top spec (1500.00 some 12 years ago) and didn't enjoy it. I think full suspension is just not for me, a hard tail in more like it.
My new mount is great, only a few rides and miles on it but it fits like a glove and feels right, loving it!

I just need to get my stamina up.

With my heart problem at the beginning of the year (which is on the mend) i must get a heart rate monitor.

Last edited by The Zohan; 13 September 2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 13 September 2009, 09:31 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Need to get my lazy brood onto their bikes, trouble is the youngest has a BMX which is useless for more than a few yards, eldest has an el-cheapo full suss mountain bike that weight 3/4 of a tonne.

I still do sedentary but I enjoy my ride to work, must do as I ride past a perfectly serviceable car, I see it as a way of getting exercise that doesnt involve an hour spent somewhere on the way to or from work, no fees and I save some money on petrol but the time is the main thing.

Dont think cycling is just a thing for sunny days, cold, dark, raining or whatever, as long has you have the right gear on its fine, sometimes getting drenched is wonderful, you get home refreshed, cold and damp and then can justify an hour in a nice hot bath.
I was having a chat with a couple who came 'round to view the house today and they were gob-smacked at me saying just that I tried to explain that sometimes riding in a huge downpour just sets you off laughing. Hell, you can only get so wet
Old 13 September 2009, 09:41 PM
beamer
Scooby Regular

Does it cost any of your companies to register for this scheme? As the company I work for have refused "But may look into it in the future"?
Old 13 September 2009, 10:00 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beamer
Does it cost any of your companies to register for this scheme? As the company I work for have refused "But may look into it in the future"?
My understanding is no, it does not cost them anything, it is more the hastle value and them not being bothered...
Old 13 September 2009, 10:04 PM
beamer
Scooby Regular

That would be right then "Too much hassle"
Old 13 September 2009, 10:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I found something on Wiggle saying that you can get two bikes ! its for people who say ride to the station and then need a bike the other end, not me and its tenous but what the hell, why not.

Specialized Allez Triple + Specilized Hardrock pro

Good combination ?

Will be just over a grand for the pair.
Old 13 September 2009, 10:38 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by beamer
Your company owns the bike during the scheme, not you - so THEY need to find the up front costs, but they make money on it (or rather save) as they save on the Employers NI contribution.

You lease the bike off the company for the year (12 x monthly payments for the up front cost) and pay a nominal fee at the end to make it yours.

Oh, the USUAL maximum is £1000, this is why I haven't got one on it, as I wanted something a bit more.... well more
Old 14 September 2009, 08:54 AM
ChrisB

You can go beyond £1000 on C2W. Either, if it's all done through your employer, they need to apply (and pay for) a Consumer Credit License. Part of the small-print for C2W is businesses get a blanket CCL for sub £1000.

Alternatively, if your LBS (Local Bike Shop) is nice, they'll let you top up the amount over £1000 direct with them and pay the £1000 on C2W.