Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7 men one fight, all charged with Affray

6 plead guilty, what hope for the 7th?

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Merseyside | Gerrard co-accused admit affray
Old 21 July 2009, 11:08 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

If he had just coughed it then this whole thing could have been over by now. He has put himself in an impossible situation now. If he is found guilty hopefully they will make an example of him. If not then the papers, other fans, general public will let him know what they think of him.

I know I post this little phrase all the time but I think its relevant here:
Act like a ***** and your gonna get f*@ked
Old 21 July 2009, 11:12 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

He'll probably walk away with damages. the Liverpool captain in a scouse court? Not a chance of a fair trial. They're like the mafia over there.
Old 21 July 2009, 11:16 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Fingers crossed for an everton judge then
Old 21 July 2009, 11:23 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
lol
Old 21 July 2009, 11:26 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Old 21 July 2009, 11:38 AM
skid11
Scooby Regular

Switch the trial to Manchester that should sort it!
Old 21 July 2009, 11:39 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

I reckon its a complete waste of tax payers money. Fights happen in all pubs / clubs, and not as if anyone was stabbed, killed. most of the group admitted to the charge, so police have a positive result.

The time in court will cost £££££, and the only people who will earn from this are the lawyers for Gerrard.

amazing how this has gone to court, but the person responible for those two dogs dying in the police van / car due to heat, hasnt ?? mmmmm

SBK
Old 21 July 2009, 11:50 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

It should go to court if they have all initially denied it. Hopefully he will get stuffed. If i go out drinking, i want a nice quiet drink without any fear of becoming embroiled into a fight.

Who was at fault with those police dogs..... I'm not sure if it was someone else who shut the door to the van
Old 21 July 2009, 11:52 AM
yoza
BANNED

He did nothing worthy of prosecution, so why should he plead guilty, guilty to what.

He will rightly walk away without charge.

PS. Im not an avid football supporter, I have never been to a live match in my life.
Old 21 July 2009, 12:03 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

But is all this worthly of the £££££ the public will pay to take this to court ?? This is my point. As for the place where it happened, its not like your in an empty pub, drinking a pint when someone comes over and starts on you, god no. These type of clubs, with this type of customer, are full of ****, bigging it up, all gangsters, etc etc.

I pretty much doubt Gerrard did anything, more likely the **** out with him, all trying to be geezers, whilst hanging on Gerrards coat tails.

What ever the cause, problem, point, I dont think its worth spending 1p more. This is where hte law has no common sense, what good will this bring ? nothing. So, spend the money elsewhere.

SBK
Old 21 July 2009, 12:05 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

To be honest I have never seen or heard anything about this incident, but i'm assuming that if the other have now all changed their plea and Gerradrd was part of them, then he must be as guilty
Old 21 July 2009, 12:06 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza
He did nothing worthy of prosecution, so why should he plead guilty, guilty to what.

He will rightly walk away without charge.

PS. Im not an avid football supporter, I have never been to a live match in my life.
You're part of the mafia though
Old 21 July 2009, 12:09 PM
yoza
BANNED

I know what happened, no more than pushing and shoving.....

The real 'brawl' happened after he walked away.
Old 21 July 2009, 12:14 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

So the Police are wasting the courts time then bringing this to trial? Strange they didn't consult these videos as well
Old 21 July 2009, 12:20 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Pushing and shoving is still common assault, the person or people who were pushed and shoved have the right to make the allegation.
Once the allegation is made the police HAVE to investigate it. The police are not making the decision here, they person making the allegation is making the decision.

If Gerrard is found guilty he will have to pay court costs. Some people might claim they get pushed and shoved all the time and it doesnt bother them, well it bothers some people and thus we find ourselves in this position.
You have to understand what part does what when a case gets into the legal system.
The police receive allegation
Police investigate
Police arrest
Police interview
CPS make a charging decision
CPS get the file to court
Court set date
Court ask for plee's
Court set new date
Court decide based on the file the CPS have handed them.

This is a huge amount of public money but its Gerrard that is deciding to spend it not anyone else.
If he pushed, shoved or shouted at anyone he is guilty of the affray and should be sentenced accordingly.

That was a complete ramble...... but somewhere amongst it there are some useful facts.
Old 21 July 2009, 12:32 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Plus, if they have all been set a court date, then they all must have gone 'not guilty' at first. If there are a room full of witnesses and CCTV footage they must have all given different accounts in interview or all gone no reply. Hence the block charge on them all for affray
Old 21 July 2009, 12:43 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you think he'll wear a suit?
Old 21 July 2009, 01:33 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

My mates father is a detective in the GMP and he thinks it is a complete waste of time and money and that Gerrard will just walk out of there with his name intact. Enough said from one of the few cops I do respect.
Old 21 July 2009, 01:35 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Timwinner;8834048]
If he pushed, shoved or shouted at anyone he is guilty of the affray and should be sentenced accordingly.

QUOTE]

If everytime someone shouted at me I came up to you and complained are you telling me that you would interview me and investigate it?
Old 21 July 2009, 01:43 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21 for the defence
As soon as anything started he clearly walked away and then everyone else had a little kerfuffle so he's guilty of nothing!
Originally Posted by David Turner QC for the Prosecution
Liverpool footballer Steven Gerrard "totally lost it" and hit a man "with the style and speed of a boxer" during a row over music, a court has heard.

Marcus McGee, 34, was assaulted by the England midfielder when he refused to hand over control of a CD player at the Lounge Inn, Southport, it was alleged.

Mr Gerrard, 29, took offence when the businessman refused the request, said David Turner QC, prosecuting.
Hmmm
Old 21 July 2009, 01:59 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=mrtheedge2u2;8834221]

QUOTE]

If everytime someone shouted at me I came up to you and complained are you telling me that you would interview me and investigate it?
I would'nt, Believe me if I am asking you questions nowdays its gone way past the Police investigation. (I am not in the police anymore)
What I said was you have the right to make an allegation every time that happens.
Just because you don't think its a problem does'nt mean everyone shares your view.
If some people get pushed around they would make an allegation of common assault
If someone pushes you around you would not.

The law is based on the masses not what some people think is a waste of money or OK. Some people might have a razor blade fetish, they might like getting cut across the chest, if that happened to them they might not make an allegation, but if it happened to you they you would make an allegation.... See my point?

I am not saying its right or wrong but I will defend peoples right to use the law to help them feel safe.
Old 21 July 2009, 05:16 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
As soon as there was any hint of confrontation/disturbance happening he walked away, then the others jumped in, so no, he's not guilty and they are as they've admitted and the video shows.
Just seen some of the CCTV on the box. Gerrard was being held back and stayed in the vacinity of things as it contiued. If i was sat on the round table with the wife, i think i wiuld be in fear of me or the wife getting hurt. Therfore affray would be the right charge based on the CCTV
Old 21 July 2009, 05:24 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

So being stood there and seeing it constitutes affray?
Old 21 July 2009, 05:36 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
So being stood there and seeing it constitutes affray?
Shouting, making gestures and having to be held back does. He could have walked away.
I have been in that situation and I have walked away, I am sure 000's of people every weekend just walk away.
He should have just walked away.
Old 21 July 2009, 05:38 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

No. But he was being held back so he was obviously a part of it and has not just 'walked away'. The CCTV alone will not constitute all of the evidence (unless there is footage which is not shown on TV - and probably is). That and witness statements would be enough to prove the offence. Probably why the others have pleaded guilty.

Hasn't Gerrard already been in court this year for a public order offence? If that's the case then this will be why he is sticking to his not guilty plea.
Old 21 July 2009, 06:02 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon K
I reckon its a complete waste of tax payers money. Fights happen in all pubs / clubs, and not as if anyone was stabbed, killed. most of the group admitted to the charge, so police have a positive result.

The time in court will cost £££££, and the only people who will earn from this are the lawyers for Gerrard.

amazing how this has gone to court, but the person responible for those two dogs dying in the police van / car due to heat, hasnt ?? mmmmm

SBK
The group didn't admit to it, thats why it went to trial. They only pleaded guilty at court - probably when they saw all of the witnesses had turned up. Gerrard's sticking with 'not-guilty' plea as he knows most of the jury from the player's lounge...(only joking).

The guy for the two dogs is on his way to court.

Quick Reply: 7 men one fight, all charged with Affray