Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ignoring a parking ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2009, 09:15 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignoring a parking ticket?

Last edited by scrappydoo; 31 October 2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 22 July 2009, 09:18 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Question

AFAIK, if you don't pay up within the 30 days it doubles?
Old 22 July 2009, 09:19 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I think you get a reminder if you don't pay in the initial period. Not sure if that reminder has an increase in cost though.
Old 22 July 2009, 11:55 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep the costs will go up n up n if you continue to ignore the bailiffs will come knocking, looking for the full amount. Make sure they don't get a foot in the door. If they do, they can legally take anything from your home to cover the costs. If you continue to stop them entering then they will call the old bill. You can't win :/
Old 23 July 2009, 12:12 AM
scooby_me
Scooby Regular

NEVER just ignore parking fines!, have you seen the TV program "balifs".

Most of there work is collecting non payment of parking fines,

Starts off with you owing £30, and can go upto over 1k if you really mess them about, repeat visits, clamping your car, towing it away.....

JUST PAY THE £30, no matter how pissed off you are!
Old 23 July 2009, 01:29 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Last edited by scrappydoo; 31 October 2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 23 July 2009, 09:17 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack the thread - but wanted opinion on this.

I bought and displayed a scratch off style parking ticket on my dash yesterday.
I had dogs in car (in back, dog guard in place), so lowered a couple of windows a bit so they had air.
Came back 30 mins later and had a parking ticket - my ticket was on the floor of the car upside down - can only assume wind had come in through the open windows and had knocked it off the dash onto the floor.

I got a note from the supplier of the scratch ticket stating when I bought the ticket and have appealed - what are my chances ?
Old 23 July 2009, 09:21 AM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
Sorry to hijack the thread - but wanted opinion on this.

I bought and displayed a scratch off style parking ticket on my dash yesterday.
I had dogs in car (in back, dog guard in place), so lowered a couple of windows a bit so they had air.
Came back 30 mins later and had a parking ticket - my ticket was on the floor of the car upside down - can only assume wind had come in through the open windows and had knocked it off the dash onto the floor.

I got a note from the supplier of the scratch ticket stating when I bought the ticket and have appealed - what are my chances ?
It wasn't displayed so they wont give you an inch.
Old 23 July 2009, 09:23 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Appeal the ticket, this will buy you time before you have to pay
Old 23 July 2009, 09:44 AM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Its only £30 FFS....is it worth the possibillity of it increasing?
Old 23 July 2009, 10:01 AM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

for the OP, send an informative letter advising them that yes the car was temporarily parked illegally as described on the ticket & that your very sorry for being so naughty,

but in your defence state that if the officer had bothered to check the vehicle 1st he would have noticed that it was jacked up at one corner & there was a wheel missing, the tyre replacement shop across the road were fitting a new tyre to the wheel in question while you recieved the ticket, you were only "parked" there for a total of 15 - 20 mins & feel the fine is somewhat harsh.

This actually did happened to me & the reply was extreamly courteous & the fine was dropped.

I've since heard of 2 friends using exactly the same excuse & getting away with it, despite the vehicles having all their wheels & no tyre shop in site !

Obviously, I'm not encouraging you to lie thereby perverting the course of justice & possibly exposing yourself to bigger problems.........but...........

SS
Old 23 July 2009, 11:19 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by scooby_me
NEVER just ignore parking fines!, have you seen the TV program "balifs".

Most of there work is collecting non payment of parking fines,

Starts off with you owing £30, and can go upto over 1k if you really mess them about, repeat visits, clamping your car, towing it away.....

JUST PAY THE £30, no matter how pissed off you are!

Happened to me, manchester council gave me a 30 quid ticket via some chav on a moped they pay to drive around ticketing cars!

I had on wheel over the line, so i contested the ticket with said chav, and he basically laughed at me and told me two pay the 30 quid as appeals never work!

**** that, i took photos as evidence and went to the complaints office in person, and sounded off about moped riding chavs and their attitudes, stupid rules and glorified tax collecting then proceeded to show the complaints manager the photos, she said i was in contravention of the line system, so would have to pay.

WTF, i was one wheel over, and it wasnt even fully over the line, so i told them to pi55 off and they would get **** all money out of me!

Next month i got a reminder that the fine had doubled, so i threw it in the bin.

Next month a ***** in an old e class merc with chrome arches and limo black tints knocked on my door demanding 350 quid for non payment of a parking fine!

Why do councils have the right to make a fine go from 30 quid to 350, and get some ex bouncer who weighs about 18 stone to come and harrass people out of their hard earned money?

the whole system stinks to high heaven, but you cant beat it so ill pay the next parking fine i think!

Baliff are just steroid abusers who cant get any other job, its glorified robbery!
Old 23 July 2009, 11:30 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by speedy steve
for the OP, send an informative letter advising them that yes the car was temporarily parked illegally as described on the ticket & that your very sorry for being so naughty,

but in your defence state that if the officer had bothered to check the vehicle 1st he would have noticed that it was jacked up at one corner & there was a wheel missing, the tyre replacement shop across the road were fitting a new tyre to the wheel in question while you recieved the ticket, you were only "parked" there for a total of 15 - 20 mins & feel the fine is somewhat harsh.

This actually did happened to me & the reply was extreamly courteous & the fine was dropped.

I've since heard of 2 friends using exactly the same excuse & getting away with it, despite the vehicles having all their wheels & no tyre shop in site !

Obviously, I'm not encouraging you to lie thereby perverting the course of justice & possibly exposing yourself to bigger problems.........but...........

SS

My mate had tried that before, but with a split boost pipe he said, the reply he got back was make sure the car is in a road worthy condition before it is driven on cheshire councils roads.

He argued there was no way of tellin said pipe would split, they argued it wouldnt have stopped the car from being driven to a safe place!

Councils are *******!

we have just had a letter from the council asking what to do about nuisance parkers from other town commuting in to macc, the options were more yellow lines, more traffic wardens or paying for a residents permit that allows me to park near my house.

all 3 of those options would result in more revenue for the council, and less space to park overall!

The worst thing is they want 120 quid a year for me to have a "permit" to park outside my own house that ensures the traffic wardens dont ticket me, surely it doesnt cost 120 quid for me to go to the council with my reg number and get them too enter it onto the little pda's that wardens carry round, so it wont issue tickets on certain streets?

And they wonder why no one shops in macc and we all go to the trafford centre, its not worth a ticket to shop i macc, and cos there is no shoppers all the good shops have closed down, even mcdonalds has gone ffs!

Talk about how to kill of a town!
Old 23 July 2009, 11:36 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Pay the £30, That is the best possible advice, That £30 can turn into £500 in just a few short weeks past the due date.
Old 23 July 2009, 11:42 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid that as with anything to do with the law, they have the whip hand and if you ignore the tickets etc. it will eventually cost you so much that it is never worth while. You just have to accept that they will always win unless you have a stone cold reason for appealing.

Les
Old 05 March 2011, 11:37 AM
unlucky lady
Scooby Newbie

what would happen if a baliff clamps your vehicle on private property whilst you were not there and the car vanished overnight along with the clamp?? no car no clamp!!
Old 05 March 2011, 11:40 AM
unlucky lady
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by unlucky lady
what would happen if a baliff clamps your car on private property whilst you were not there and the car vanished overnight along with the clamp?? no car no clamp!! has anybody done this before and what was the outcome?

Last edited by unlucky lady; 05 March 2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 05 March 2011, 12:07 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Yep the costs will go up n up n if you continue to ignore the bailiffs will come knocking, looking for the full amount. Make sure they don't get a foot in the door. If they do, they can legally take anything from your home to cover the costs. If you continue to stop them entering then they will call the old bill. You can't win :/

The facts.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...rs/DG_10034289
Old 05 March 2011, 12:17 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by unlucky lady
what would happen if a baliff clamps your vehicle on private property whilst you were not there and the car vanished overnight along with the clamp?? no car no clamp!!
It's never happened to me, but generally speaking the law will usually come down on your side if either:
a. the signs warning of you of the parking restrictions and penalties weren't adequate (too small, badly sited, badly worded, not enough of them, etc), or
b. the penalties are extortionately high, or
c. intimidation or other threatening or unacceptable steps were taken to try and get you to pay up.

If on the other hand the no-parking rules had plenty of clearly worded and visible signs and the fine isn't a completely stupid amount, they could legally come after you and eventually send bailiffs etc, so long as they go through the proper channels.
Old 05 March 2011, 12:30 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

£30 - pay it suck it up and move on

£30 don't pay it have loads of grief and end up paying loads more...the ansder is simple really like it or not. Unless you know you have a watertight case.
Old 05 March 2011, 12:54 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Old 05 March 2011, 12:58 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

There's no need to pay when private companies give you a ticket or clamp - just ignore every letter you receive. Local Authorities have the law on their side which is basically guilty until you prove your innocence - ignore those at your peril

Nice thread revival btw

TX.
Old 05 March 2011, 01:12 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I paid for 4 hours in a new town I was visiting, lost my barings a bit and the appreciative council fined me for being 8 mins overdue. The grace period is 5 minutes so 3 minutes over really. I appealed on the grounds of me paying for a long period and clearly not trying to abuse the system, just got a bit lost and it seemed very harsh. It was rejected, I paid £25 and havent been back.
Old 05 March 2011, 01:24 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ It's all about the £'s fella, no interest in sob stories

TX.
Old 05 March 2011, 01:37 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
^^ It's all about the £'s fella
Isnt everything now.

Saying that they would have made far more money from me revisiting the town in the long run.
Old 05 March 2011, 02:24 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

It's good to post on old threads you get to post an opinion and noone really cares, mind you thats pretty much like any thread on here lol...
Old 05 March 2011, 02:45 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Half the time thats what matters. You get to offload and redirect frustrations to the computer rather than to the wife, family etc.
Old 05 March 2011, 03:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They smile as they take the money!

Les
Old 06 March 2011, 02:27 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I've had the "ticket fell on the floor" type of scenario. More a case of me displaying the wrong ticket or the ticket **** about etc...

Mate said at the time "If it's council, you stand a chance, if it's private, they'll just want the money".

It was council run, I lodged an appeal online, then sent in the parking ticket to back it up. They rescinded the PCN. They'd had other people doing what I'd done. Displaying the supermarket refund voucher, rather than the parking ticket.

J.
Old 06 March 2011, 09:16 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I've always wondered if your car got ticketed, some local 'tikes' saw said ticket & removed it 'for a laugh', therefore you are none the wiser, what would happen then?

Surely then it really is a case of ignoring the ticket but for a legit reason.....

Quick Reply: ignoring a parking ticket?