Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

gym membership/contract/cancellation

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2009, 09:23 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gym membership/contract/cancellation

ok guys.. joined this gym as i moved into a new area for contract work (12 months)

the gym was behind my house so went in, said i just needed to be shown gym, was happy with it, said im happy to sign up for the year while im here. she said how do you want to pay? up front ? or monthly direct debits?

i said i had no money due to moving into area and stupid deposit and first months rent up front and id pay by direct debit. she said jst to come in 1 or 2 months before im due to leave and let them know cancellation date

now i went in on friday and the *******s are saying i need to write a letter in and give a 3 month notice period?

im 10 months into exactly, which means if i hand it in today they'll only get 2 months notice.

i dont think they gave me copy of the contract when i signed up or i may have misplaced it, i duno, so cnt see the terms and conditions.

what do i do?

can i just hand letter in and cancel direct debit after the date i leave? i aint paying for the extra month, they conned me!

ill be gone in a different town hundreds of miles away so they going have trouble finding me if they want that payment.

i duno pissed me off this gym has now, i feel like cancelling now and not even going , the staff are **** and cba.

full of chavs hanging around in the reception area and outside its always bloody hott even though they have aircons which they have on really low. which is pointless

whats my way out?
Old 01 June 2009, 09:38 AM
yoza
BANNED

Be careful, you may get a milkman knocking on your door, or a DJ, or maybe a Pizza delivery guy, be aware..
Old 01 June 2009, 09:44 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eggy790
ok guys.. joined this gym as i moved into a new area for contract work (12 months)

the gym was behind my house so went in, said i just needed to be shown gym, was happy with it, said im happy to sign up for the year while im here. she said how do you want to pay? up front ? or monthly direct debits?

i said i had no money due to moving into area and stupid deposit and first months rent up front and id pay by direct debit. she said jst to come in 1 or 2 months before im due to leave and let them know cancellation date

now i went in on friday and the *******s are saying i need to write a letter in and give a 3 month notice period?

im 10 months into exactly, which means if i hand it in today they'll only get 2 months notice.

i dont think they gave me copy of the contract when i signed up or i may have misplaced it, i duno, so cnt see the terms and conditions.

what do i do?

can i just hand letter in and cancel direct debit after the date i leave? i aint paying for the extra month, they conned me!

ill be gone in a different town hundreds of miles away so they going have trouble finding me if they want that payment.

i duno pissed me off this gym has now, i feel like cancelling now and not even going , the staff are **** and cba.

full of chavs hanging around in the reception area and outside its always bloody hott even though they have aircons which they have on really low. which is pointless

whats my way out?

Okay, there's lots you can do:

Ask other gym members what they think the cancellation policy is.
Ask to see YOUR signed contract and ask them to point out the cancellation clause.
Speak nicely to the manager.
Speak forcefully to the manager in front of other members about cancelling - no one likes confrontation, maybe he'll just agree to cancel.

And probably many more. Good luck
Old 01 June 2009, 10:30 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

cheers ill give it a try, ill ask the other members today..

ive wrote a letter up lol duno if i should hand it in like this its too polite. or maybe ask to see manager, tell him situatuion, give him below letter and see what he says.. before i get nasty and ask to see contract and shout

To Whom It May Concern:

RE: Cancellation of Membership

While I have truly enjoyed interacting with the exceptional staff at your establishment and having access to a wide array of fitness equipment, my year in Daventry is up and my contract with Cummins is coming to an end.

I will be moving to a different location a few hundred miles away and as per my chat with the sales rep last year when I signed up, I am writing to confirm that Wednesday 29th July 2009 will be my last day and wish my membership to be cancelled the day after on Thursday 30th July 2009.

I believe this is sufficient notice. Please confirm my membership cancellation upon receipt of this letter and that I will receive no more charges after July.

Thank you very much for understanding and your excellent service.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards,

Last edited by eggy790; 01 June 2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01 June 2009, 10:35 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

get caught playing with yourself in the changing rooms -- usually works for me

I,ve never had to cancel a contract yet
Old 01 June 2009, 10:42 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

haha u joker lol so maybe get chucked out hmm..
Old 01 June 2009, 01:25 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Gyms are not renowned for having a sympathetic ear.

What will you do when they ignore your letter and still take the thirteenth months payment? Whatever it is, you need to do it now.

A quick google throws up lots of similar threads:

Men's health
Digital Spy

IMO paying for the extra month is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that you will not get a CCJ or the bailiffs knocking in six months time having added their own fees to the outstanding amount.
Old 01 June 2009, 01:37 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

You would have been given a contract.

That contract will state 3 months notice to be given.

They don't care whether your personal life contract is up.

Cancel now and take the hit of the extra months payment - not worth the CCJ, Baliffs and bad Credit Rating.

Lesson to be learned - read, and understand, any contract you sign.

However, if they cannot show a signed contract, tell them to go swing
Old 01 June 2009, 01:41 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

lol ill ask to see contract , but fact is the women conned me , she knew my situation and knew i wa sonly staying for 12 months.. she never told me about no 3 month cancellation period, she simply told me i was signing for the direct debit to be set up.

she told me ito pop in a month or two before end date, jst to confirm it with them, i wish i see that lady again, she'll get a nice falcon punch to the groin!
Old 01 June 2009, 02:14 PM
yoza
BANNED

All you need to know............

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ml#post8737934