Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Scoobynet Forum blocked at work - from today

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2009, 10:25 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Scoobynet Forum blocked at work - from today

I was looking forward to the usual look on Scoobynet at work today when I found that the Forum part of the site is now blocked

Fookin IT haven't they got anything better to do than search for sites all day looking to add into their blocked list

Strange thing is that I can get to the front page and open any of the Hot Topic threads. As soon as I hit the Forum tab I get "Website Blocked".

It does say in the IT policy about personal use but who doesn't look on the web during breaks?

Oh well, will try again tomorrow in the hope it was a glitch.

Nick

PS can still get on Pistonheads and Auto Trader so all is not lost.
Old 10 February 2009, 10:29 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Try using a proxy server
Old 10 February 2009, 10:32 PM
nardoblue
Scooby Regular

Wink

Try doing some work, thats what your payed for buddy
Old 10 February 2009, 10:33 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or like I do leave your PC on at home and remote into it, with logmein.com or suchlike. Facebookcity
Old 10 February 2009, 10:34 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nardoblue
Try doing some work, thats what your payed for buddy
So you don't take any breaks then Mr. Jobsworthy? The fact he is still at his desk during breaks/lunch is probably better than the majority who will leave the office for an hour.
Old 10 February 2009, 10:35 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Ha ha I do plenty mate - I think. Only allow myself a short break and often work through lunch.
Believe me I wish I had time for a proper 1hr break.

I'm sure you and others on here no the feeling.
Old 10 February 2009, 10:36 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Well yer gonna be pissed off tomorrow when I do my Babe of the week shaved fanny special then! It's only gonna run between the hours of 9-4 then taken down before munter of the week goes up!

Sorry in advance
Tam
Old 10 February 2009, 10:46 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Or like I do leave your PC on at home and remote into it, with logmein.com or suchlike. Facebookcity
these things can be a sysadmins nightmare....

if people are at work, then their internet usage is monitored for a reason. not to mention additional bandwidth these apps can use and the possible insecure transfer of potentially dangerous files from a PC outside of your network.

and the fact that most of them run over port 80 nowadays is a pain in the **** too, great for getting through firewalls/proxies, not so great for us network engineers who want to block them
Old 10 February 2009, 10:55 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

lol they hardly use any BW, as the user's PC hosts the connection! And to receive you're talkin less than 8K/s. There is abs no reason y it can't be used, unless your own companies BW is at a premium.

Logmein free which I use does not allow file xfers remote to local anyway, so very low risk imo.
Old 10 February 2009, 10:59 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP

and the fact that most of them run over port 80 nowadays is a pain in the **** too, great for getting through firewalls/proxies, not so great for us network engineers who want to block them
Websense will block the URL and IP of logmein and equivalent. You have to worry about the users running VNC across port 21

Steve
Old 10 February 2009, 11:16 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Bladdy killjoys I reckon companies sbe alot more open in this day n age. Why can't a user check his private email in downtime for example. People sbe able to check for important messages during the day. If a user is found to be takin the p1ss then fine they should either take a paycut or get a formal warning.
Old 10 February 2009, 11:40 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

We block webmail for security reasons. Who knows what company secret documents you could be sending over your personal web account that we cannot see. We do allow personal web e-mails to be accessed from our Staff Room which is a segregated area of our network and there is no way of getting data from our internal LAN to the Staff Room LAN. These PC's still have other restrictions in place as well. Such as gambling, ****, streaming media, violence, weapons blah blah blah.

The things we block all comes from HR, not IT. We just advise and do as we are told. If they ask us to run a report to show the top accessed websites and they feel the #1 website is detrimental to the business they ask us to block it.

During the Christmas period I allowed web based games (from miniclip.com) for 2 days just to keep our staff happy. After Crimbo was over they get disabled again

I love having the control

Darren
Old 11 February 2009, 01:44 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darlodge
These PC's still have other restrictions in place as well. Such as gambling, ****, streaming media, violence, weapons blah blah blah.

Darren
of course the staff are all old enough to work there but not old enough to look at anything violent , its not a primary school you work in is it lol
Old 11 February 2009, 07:08 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

The problem is you can't treat people like adults any more. For example, if someone accidentally goes on a **** site at work and gets offended, they can sue work for not protecting them

Then there's the ****-takers that ruin it for everyone else because you have to lock it down for all.

We allow anyone to access any site but we put up 2 warnings: warning 1 reminds you that we monitor everything, warning 2 pops up when you access a banned site and says something along the lines of "this site is dodgy and you probably shouldn't go there but if you really want to, click ok". We also send a monthly report to all line managers of their teams usage so any ****-takers should get weeded out.

It's amazing how many people think they can get away with running a business in works time!
Old 11 February 2009, 11:49 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by skoobidude
I was looking forward to the usual look on Scoobynet at work today when I found that the Forum part of the site is now blocked

Fookin IT haven't they got anything better to do than search for sites all day looking to add into their blocked list

Strange thing is that I can get to the front page and open any of the Hot Topic threads. As soon as I hit the Forum tab I get "Website Blocked".

It does say in the IT policy about personal use but who doesn't look on the web during breaks?

Oh well, will try again tomorrow in the hope it was a glitch.

Nick

PS can still get on Pistonheads and Auto Trader so all is not lost.
Try and see if this works: PassionFord

It sits on the same server as us. So if you can see that then its nothing to do with being in the US and your IT guys have blocked it specifically. If it is blocked as well, then maybe your IT dept are blocking American IPs (or just Internet Brand's).

Ways round it: Use a proxy Server (note forum Rules , it is allowed but if its a public proxy, it may become blocked due to abuse by spammers/trolls ).

Ideally, setting up a VPN, or remote desktop back to your home computer and browse your home PC whilst at work is probably the most reliable form of proxy.

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 February 2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11 February 2009, 12:08 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

It policies @ work do my head in, cant do this cant do that, and 99% of the time IT are locked away in a room having a lan game of counter strike, or dowloading stuff using the dedicated 10 meg line, anything but work basically.

Why dont IT policies apply to IT staff, cos the big boss usually doesnt know anything about IT, so the IT staff can get away with murder, while the rest of the staff are snooped on all the time!

I dont see the problem with quotas, if we all get a set quota for the day, and i fulfull it, why cant i then go on the net?

Its not my problem if someone in the office cant fulfill their quota and they have no time for the net, as i usuall fulfill by about 3, and work till six, so what do i do for the next 3 hours, cant get at tomorrows work as it hasnt come through yet, so i sit on the net!
Old 11 February 2009, 12:23 PM
spireite
BANNED

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
Well yer gonna be pissed off tomorrow when I do my Babe of the week shaved fanny special then! It's only gonna run between the hours of 9-4 then taken down before munter of the week goes up!

Sorry in advance
Tam

Fek ,been waiting all morning wheres the special
Old 11 February 2009, 12:25 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Anonymous Proxy Unblock Facebook - Bypass Filters - Site Unblocker - Free Web Bypasser
Old 11 February 2009, 01:05 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
It policies @ work do my head in, cant do this cant do that, and 99% of the time IT are locked away in a room having a lan game of counter strike, or dowloading stuff using the dedicated 10 meg line, anything but work basically.

Why dont IT policies apply to IT staff, cos the big boss usually doesnt know anything about IT, so the IT staff can get away with murder, while the rest of the staff are snooped on all the time!

I dont see the problem with quotas, if we all get a set quota for the day, and i fulfull it, why cant i then go on the net?

Its not my problem if someone in the office cant fulfill their quota and they have no time for the net, as i usuall fulfill by about 3, and work till six, so what do i do for the next 3 hours, cant get at tomorrows work as it hasnt come through yet, so i sit on the net!

You mean like this: The Website Is Down

Old 11 February 2009, 01:15 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

New job for me from Monday so no access to Scoobynet for the next few months and I have no computer at home.

At least Scoobynet will get peace from me slating fictitious Global warming,told you so re house prices and being I think only the third person on Scoobynet who believes in God
Old 11 February 2009, 01:18 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

That is amazing.
Old 11 February 2009, 01:55 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

same thing for us.

strangely we can get on ebay.

no face book/twitter- but who cares about teenager crap like that.

scooby net- yes- but can't see a single picture.
Old 11 February 2009, 03:03 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

Strangely, if I type in the address for SN then it is blocked but if I google it then follow that link then I'm in Also if I get a PM then I can view that then navigate to the forum via that page. Strange.
Old 11 February 2009, 04:06 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

The complete ignorance of the true cost and/or potential impact of uncontrolled internet access on businesses is worrying.

Internet usage @ work is not some sort of god given right. Enjoy it if you have it - but dont abuse it - every business will eventually have to stop it.
Old 11 February 2009, 04:22 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Thats funny
Old 11 February 2009, 07:17 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

"Your organisation's Internet policy restricts access to this web page at this time."

Reason: The Websense category "Proxy avoidance" is filtered.

Any IT dept worth their salt will filter out all these so called anonymous proxy sites.
Old 11 February 2009, 08:46 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Be very careful especially with forums which have recurring ads. My company tried to sack me 3 weeks ago as my internet useage showed as 55 hours in a 20 day month.
It wasn't until I had the 410 PAGE LOG correctly analysed that it was found to have revolving ads as the main culprit. My actual web use time was reduced to 5 hours (15 mins per day)
Prior to the disciplinary hearing I was suspended on full pay for a week and the company were taking me for gross misconduct and therefore the sack. I was very lucky in having a couple of expert friends who helped me out.

HOWEVER - be very careful, your IT dept may not be as clever as you think. However they may be cleverer than you and if you dont have access to expert help you could be down the road.

BE WARNED
Old 11 February 2009, 09:00 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

My cell phone was at the tip of the *****. I cant find anything now...

Old 11 February 2009, 10:18 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
My cell phone was at the tip of the *****. I cant find anything now...

Did you look next to the right ********? Pmsl

Darren
Old 11 February 2009, 11:52 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I'm not supposed to be on here, but as I'm on late's two nights a week, with very little to do.....
they look the other way !

dunx

Quick Reply: Scoobynet Forum blocked at work - from today