Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2009, 09:25 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Dog Whisperer

anyone watch this? brilliant programme

forget Barbera Woodhouse, this bloke is amazing

i had a problem with one of my dogs attacking anyone coming into my house or leaving it. she would start yelping like a mad thing and hanging onto the persons trousers with her teeth, all the while she would be wagging her tail.

anyway, i made the noise Ceaser (sp) makes when controlling problem dogs, its a SHUSHING noise but done quickly and loudly, and it made my dog stop in her tracks, i was gob smacked

i was thinking of taking her to a therapist or something but she is cured.

has anyone else done anything like this with their dog?
Old 28 January 2009, 09:55 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not the same but our puppy trainer was amazing. She managed to get the most unruly dogs to behave using clever techniques.

I'm a bit annoyed with badly trained dogs at the moment - last weekend two collies chased me on my bike and one bit my foot (it didn't hurt though). I had to stop, look it in the eyes and shout "GO BACK" before it backed off.
Then last week while running with my dog, I saw a women with a Vizsla. She told me to be careful because it's snappy and sure enough, it went for our (very placid and well trained) black lab.

Now if your dog is aggressive then DO NOT let it off the lead anywhere but the middle of the Arctic. On both occasions, had I been a little child (which I am sometimes), things could have been nasty.
Old 28 January 2009, 10:08 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

we have a Collie near me that charges through the garden trying to follow cars. he does this all day relentlesly. he also trys to attack when you walk past the gate. it upsets me as i know the dog is really unhappy but people don't have the intelligence to work out that the dog needs help.

in the U.S they have dog parks designed to allow dogs off the lead to meet each other. if that was done in this country then all hell would break loose

as some of you know i have two Chihuahuas, and the one that was attacking was really stressed out with the whole thing but she didnt know how to stop. already today two people have called at my house and been left completely alone....i still cant believe that it was so simple

good tip...wear steel toe capped boots next time you are on your bike
Old 28 January 2009, 10:12 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy

Now if your dog is aggressive then DO NOT let it off the lead anywhere but the middle of the Arctic. On both occasions, had I been a little child (which I am sometimes), things could have been nasty.
Well said! My biggest gripe about dog owners is THEIR irresponsible behaviour.
I personally dont like dogs off leads in public places. Not everyone like dogs.

As for Cesar, he teaches one main thing that is key.... Energy. Feel negative, your dog will walk all over you.
And rules boundaries and limitations. Another important thing.

And finally.... no talk no touch no eye contact. How to discharge and excited dog in an instant.

to Cesar..... You ARE the pack leader
Old 28 January 2009, 10:26 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Well said! My biggest gripe about dog owners is THEIR irresponsible behaviour.
I personally dont like dogs off leads in public places. Not everyone like dogs.

As for Cesar, he teaches one main thing that is key.... Energy. Feel negative, your dog will walk all over you.
And rules boundaries and limitations. Another important thing.

And finally.... no talk no touch no eye contact. How to discharge and excited dog in an instant.

to Cesar..... You ARE the pack leader
Cesar is definitely the man lol

all the other dog trainers tend to show affection and reward the dog for good behavior, not Cesar. but when you think about it, in the canine world another dog does not reward another dog for behaving. the way he makes the dogs go into a calm and relaxed mind is amazing.

i have also been able to stop Lilly licking my face when she greets me with the same shushing noise. the first time i did it she shot off in panic...but it has stopped her doing it

with the sort of dogs i have it is very easy to humanise them but that creates so many problems and ends up making the dog very unhappy.

saying that i had a poo in my slipper last night
Old 28 January 2009, 10:30 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

You poo'ed in your slipper last night !! Eeew
Sounds like you need the training not the dog

The Sssssh noise it not the key though.......... any sudden distracting noise is fine. Personal preference. Love watching people on the show mimicking him, thinking they NEED to make the same noises too.
Mine is an AAAH! works fine.

Confidence is key. And exercise of course.. 10km a morning does us fine lol. Wears them out nicely.

Last edited by Snazy; 28 January 2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 28 January 2009, 10:31 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Sara - sorry but that is very amusing!!

Our friends have the dog from hell. A year and a half old but still shreds the house to bits, drools so badly at the sight of a car that he suffers dangerous dehydration, can't sleep anywhere but in their bedroom, wakes them up at 5am every day and is a horrible looking "rat dog" too. I like almost all dogs but some just get on my nerves.
Old 28 January 2009, 10:31 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
saying that i had a poo in my slipper last night
You might want to re-word that
Old 28 January 2009, 10:35 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Sara - sorry but that is very amusing!!

Our friends have the dog from hell. A year and a half old but still shreds the house to bits, drools so badly at the sight of a car that he suffers dangerous dehydration, can't sleep anywhere but in their bedroom, wakes them up at 5am every day and is a horrible looking "rat dog" too. I like almost all dogs but some just get on my nerves.
lol I am not even gonna lie and say I like most dogs. I cant stand quite a few breeds, but I think I dislike more owners than breeds.
The one thing you see on the show and in real life is small dog owners not believing their dog needs any form of training, and should be allowed to do what it wants..... grrrrr
Old 28 January 2009, 10:41 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
You might want to re-word that

bladdy hell,

might i add that my slippers were very near the litter tray
Old 28 January 2009, 10:42 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhh *points finger with a stern NO and gently kicks squarsey in the rump*
Old 28 January 2009, 10:46 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
lol I am not even gonna lie and say I like most dogs. I cant stand quite a few breeds, but I think I dislike more owners than breeds.
The one thing you see on the show and in real life is small dog owners not believing their dog needs any form of training, and should be allowed to do what it wants..... grrrrr

i bet you didnt watch last nights episode with a couple of chiuhuas. very insightful. and yes, the owner an overly girly type weak woman mothered her chi and when it attacked her son(teenager) she just put it back on her lap and fussed it, yet if her son misbehaved he would get punnished

do you think potential dog owners should be given basic training, after all, most dogs are normal when they are taken in but become foofed up later?
Old 28 January 2009, 10:48 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

In think training should be mandatory. It SO easy to train a dog yet many don't.

I had half my face bitten off when I was three by a little tw4tty sausage dog - didn't put me off dogs at all but it was a bit of a shock at the time. And I do have a cool little scar!
Old 28 January 2009, 11:05 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

In think training should be mandatory. It SO easy to train a dog yet many don't.

I had half my face bitten off when I was three by a little tw4tty sausage dog - didn't put me off dogs at all but it was a bit of a shock at the time. And I do have a cool little scar!

was the dog destroyed afterwards?

my sister was caught up in big disturbance once at a night club. police dogs were used to control the situation. anyway, my sister lost a chunk of skin from her armpit while she was sitting on a step to put her boots on. the dog that attacked her was meant to be dealing with the rowdy crowd but as it passed her with the handler she was bitten.

she made a complaint about the dog and was basically told that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. she had to have a few skin grafts and is now scarred for life. can a dog that has been trained to work with the police also be a loving pet?
Old 28 January 2009, 11:14 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Scoobychick - ***put shock armour on*** my dad beat it to what he thinks was death. He thought I'd lost an eye at the time and blood was pouring out of me at a hell of a rate.

Sounds like that Police dog had problems. It may have been put down afterwards? I think it's hard to re-train a security dog - they are trained to be super aggressive after all.
Old 28 January 2009, 11:17 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
bladdy hell,

might i add that my slippers were very near the litter tray
Sara,

Litter tray? do you have a cat as well?
Old 28 January 2009, 11:25 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Sara,

Litter tray? do you have a cat as well?

i use or rather my dogs use it if they are not out

they are both smaller than most cats

as they are so tiny it is not always obvious when they need to go out. if they scratch the door i cant hear it. the only down side is that unlike cats they do not cover it up. the only accidents we have tend to be from missing the tray, but generally they/we go outside for a poo

i must stop referring to my dogs as 'we'
Old 28 January 2009, 11:27 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Scoobychick - ***put shock armour on*** my dad beat it to what he thinks was death. He thought I'd lost an eye at the time and blood was pouring out of me at a hell of a rate.

Sounds like that Police dog had problems. It may have been put down afterwards? I think it's hard to re-train a security dog - they are trained to be super aggressive after all.

scoobychick lol?

i dont get paid for posting

shouldn't he have beet up the owners?

i am terrified of having to go near a police dog,not that it happens a lot

Last edited by sarasquares; 28 January 2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 28 January 2009, 11:33 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Sorry Sara - trying to multitask and it's not working!

The poor owner was a boy of about 15 who clearly was horrified to see his parents dog chewing up a little boy. I have a feeling he didn't like the dog either. He just stood there dumbstruck apparently.
Old 28 January 2009, 11:41 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Sorry Sara - trying to multitask and it's not working!

The poor owner was a boy of about 15 who clearly was horrified to see his parents dog chewing up a little boy. I have a feeling he didn't like the dog either. He just stood there dumbstruck apparently.

going for a pee and talking at the same time is beyond many blokes capabilities so i wouldn't worry

Bravo, doesn't that mean that the dog cannot be taken out in public places?
Old 28 January 2009, 11:41 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Sarah,

Sorry, but using a litter tray for any dog is wrong, irrespective of size. Get them into a routine when they go out at certain, regular, times.

If you can't be there often enough, you shouldn't have them, period.

No wonder small dogs are more often than not psychologically deranged. Treat them as you would any other dog.
Old 28 January 2009, 11:49 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Sarah,

Sorry, but using a litter tray for any dog is wrong, irrespective of size. Get them into a routine when they go out at certain, regular, times.

If you can't be there often enough, you shouldn't have them, period.

No wonder small dogs are more often than not psychologically deranged. Treat them as you would any other dog.
why is it wrong? they have no set poo time, they go when they need to go and if it means a crap in the litter tray then so be it.

they always go out for a poo before i go to bed and again in the morning but sometimes they might need to go in the night or in the day and if i happen to be doing something and don't let them out i would rather have them use a small litter tray than do it on the carpet
Old 28 January 2009, 11:52 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Its wrong because they think its ok to go in the house.

Evidenced by the crap in your slipper.

if you had a 10 stone St Bernard, would you think it was ok for that to go indoors too (in a litter tray, or a slipper for that matter)?
Old 28 January 2009, 11:53 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Sara - only time our dog has ever gone on the floor (luckily she has her own room and it's tiled) is when she's been ill.
She goes at set times and always finds somewhere "out of the way" to go.

I'm sure you could avoud the litter tray thing - fine to you but maybe guests might find it a bit odd?!
Old 28 January 2009, 12:01 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

She is obviously one of those crazy people who treat there dogs as kids

I bet they get birthday cards, and presents and everything
Old 28 January 2009, 12:04 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Its wrong because they think its ok to go in the house.

Evidenced by the crap in your slipper.

if you had a 10 stone St Bernard, would you think it was ok for that to go indoors too (in a litter tray, or a slipper for that matter)?

if i had a St Bernard i would hear it whine or scratch the door to go out. as it is i don't.
my dogs prefer to go out and do their business but its not always possible.
they don't think that the tray is a substitute for a toilet, they only use the tray if they have to. i would rather they use it than hide behind the settee and do it. and as for my slipper, it was beside the tray,the aim was a bit out.

if i was at risk of finding a 2lb turd in my litter tray i would not use one. i can happily cope with a childs finger size poo any day.

put it this way, if my door is open or i am out the dogs will do their business outside
Old 28 January 2009, 12:07 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
She is obviously one of those crazy people who treat there dogs as kids

I bet they get birthday cards, and presents and everything

you have been very boring for a long time now but just lately you are becoming very irritating.

if you do not post in my threads calling me an attention seeker you are trying to belittle me.

if you have nothing of value to post in my threads i will neg you, like i have just done, go away and grow up

Quick Reply: The Dog Whisperer