Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Stansteads Envirofreaks!

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2008, 07:42 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stansteads Envirofreaks!

So 50 odd raving mentalists calling themselves "Plane Stupid" have bolt cuttered their way through the runway fences at Stanstead and are preventing planes from taking off, leaving hundreds of innocent travellers stranded...

The police are now slowly and carefully moving them away now, I couldnt understand why earlier this morning it was teargas and tazer heaven over there

They're claiming to be climate change warriors I wonder how their particpants logistics were sorted out? Did they all walk to the airport?
Old 08 December 2008, 07:49 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Some chap e-mailed sky news and said just get the fire crew to hose the fekkers down
Old 08 December 2008, 08:51 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

21 Flights cancelled they say.

How do they manage to catch-up with these missed flights? Do they put those affected onto later flights (even if it means putting them in 1st Class if they are the only available seats)?
Old 08 December 2008, 09:02 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Don't they have heavy snow ploughs at most UK airports?.... that would shift the *******
Old 08 December 2008, 09:04 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Obviously when the protesters book their own foreign holidays they'd be perfectly happy if someone blockaded the airport.
Old 08 December 2008, 09:22 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Blimey I really feel for any poor sod who's flying Ryan Air today....if one their planes gets delayed slightly the whole house of cards falls down, it must be bloody chaos. Still Ryan Air will no doubt find a way of slapping their delayed passengers a spurious surcharge for this.
Old 08 December 2008, 09:29 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

These climate change idiots really pee me off. The main reason is that what else do they want the govt to do? They obviously dont notice any of the tax that we have to pay for emissions (cars, flights, businesses etc) oh wait... maybe thats because they dont pay tax...

The govt are taxing us into oblivion yet these space cadets want us to just stop developing our nation to try and get us out of the hole we are in.

I am the first to agree that CO2 is nasty stuff, however its not the be all and end all. Nature spews out a lot of the gas, so lets kill all cows, and cap every volcano on the planet.

And if climate change is really going to wipe us out all together, lets not forget it takes 5 to 10 million years for a major shift in climate to take place i.e a total ice age for example, i.e the human race will be gone by then anyway!!!

Personally I see that de-forestation is the biggest problem today, yet it hardly gets a mention… no lets protest about a few more planes…

These people are obviously determined, why not put their efforts into Somalia or DRoC etal... oh wait... that might involve some hard work... silly me..
Old 08 December 2008, 09:31 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Remember reading about a High Court Enforcement officer and his team who had to move on a bunch of people who had handcuffed themselves to some machines or a building.

They chose to be all matey with them and serve them tea and coffee......lots and lots of tea and coffee....and more tea and coffee....

Worked though even for those with the strongest bladders
Old 08 December 2008, 09:35 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would open the runways and resume flights. If they want to be idiots and put themselves in harms way...

Loz, that's just cruel
Old 08 December 2008, 09:38 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
21 Flights cancelled they say.

How do they manage to catch-up with these missed flights? Do they put those affected onto later flights (even if it means putting them in 1st Class if they are the only available seats)?

The answer to that is usually 'yes', however we are talking Stansted where there isn't really such a thing as first class. They will either put on an extra plane or if their the planes are not full will try to consolidate.

The other problem with Stansted is that most of the airlines do not have spare planes hanging around, they run incredibly tight schedules. The plane that didn't take off to Poland was supposed to bring people back from Poland and then fly to Spain and two hours later to Portugal and so on ...

Steve
Old 08 December 2008, 09:42 AM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I'm home a week late from my hols thanks to the Thai protesters, chatting to my OH while we were being "held hostage" I did say that the Bangkok protests would lead to other people trying the same thing - nearly choked on my cereal this morning when I saw the news about Stanstead
Old 08 December 2008, 09:42 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by boxst
The answer to that is usually 'yes', however we are talking Stansted where there isn't really such a thing as first class. They will either put on an extra plane or if their the planes are not full will try to consolidate.

The other problem with Stansted is that most of the airlines do not have spare planes hanging around, they run incredibly tight schedules. The plane that didn't take off to Poland was supposed to bring people back from Poland and then fly to Spain and two hours later to Portugal and so on ...

Steve
Maybe they need to consider building an extra runway? It would certainly help clear the backlogs caused by these protestors
Old 08 December 2008, 10:12 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Perhap's they are not impressed by a government which taxes us rigid using the excuse of GBW which is not happening anyway, and then sanctions the building of extra runways to double the amount of air traffic and hence pollution!

I agree though that it is hard on the delayed holiday makers. You can expect them to make the loudest protest possible of course.

Les
Old 08 December 2008, 10:22 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Theyre more than likely professionals daughters/sons , at university , and cant be arsed to turn up for lectures - so they thought theyd have an awayday

- I bet you anything theyre not averse to travelling abroad on the cheap ( dont suppose theyd like to pay the proper taxes these carriers should be incurrring ) - and i dont mean by rowing boat /donkey
Old 08 December 2008, 10:32 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Another example of our country going to the dogs.

Police turned up less than 20 minutes after break-in. They then stood around for 3 hours "observing". Probably not allowed to forcibly remove them due to their Human Rights. If they'd have dragged them away PDQ, I doubt that any flights would have been affected.

Anyone remember the same group, who climbed on board the BA 319 from MAN when it arrived at LHR? Remember the severe punishment they recieved for that? Thought not. AFAIK, they walked.

As for closing the runways, these muppets were less than 50 yards from the runway, and you have to err on the side of caution. FOD is always an issue, and who know what these chimps had on them.

If it was me, I'd have manouvered a 757 infront of them, and conducted a lengthy engine ground run.
Old 08 December 2008, 11:16 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

If I was one of the passengers I would have just rounded up a posse and gone and f***** sorted the problem myself
Old 08 December 2008, 11:41 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by billythekid
..lets not forget it takes 5 to 10 million years for a major shift in climate to take place i.e a total ice age for example,
Where did you get that figure from mate?

Major ice age cycles takes place approximately every 100 thousand years, as well as less major climatic cycles at shorter periods of 21K years and 40K years.

Its a result of the earth's orbital variations in Obliquity (axial tilt), precession, and eccentricity. (Milankovitch theory)
Old 08 December 2008, 11:48 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There was a mini ice age at the turn of thr 19th century, and there is evidence to show that we may be entering another one.

Les
Old 08 December 2008, 11:49 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
If I was one of the passengers I would have just rounded up a posse and gone and f***** sorted the problem myself
I bet you that as soon as a non-protester tried to get off of a 'plane or leave the gate they would be jumped on and arrested.

If they did that to the protesters (or I liked the firehose idea personally) then it would have been over much, much quicker ..

Steve
Old 08 December 2008, 11:51 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Anyone remember the Paul Calf character and his view of students?
Old 08 December 2008, 11:55 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they had dressed as T.E. Lawrence and carried rucksacks they would probably have been shot on sight.
Old 08 December 2008, 01:37 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
There was a mini ice age at the turn of thr 19th century, and there is evidence to show that we may be entering another one.

Les
Is that official Les, or just another piece of dodgy mis-information from the Anti GW right wing nut bars you seem so fond of
Old 08 December 2008, 01:40 PM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Thought they were actually on the runway but ... ... She said: "There's 54 of us currently occupying a space on the taxi way about 50m from the runway. It's a bit cold, but everyone is in good spirits."

Ha Ha i love this, "a bit cold"

So wheres the Global warming then?????

The idiots
Old 08 December 2008, 04:27 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Remember the last person who climed the fence at Manchester airport.

He got Tazered!
Old 08 December 2008, 06:53 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

isnt it funny how protestors always seem to protest on weekdays, to these people not have jobs? o right yer they dont they just lay about hippys with nothing better to do.
Old 08 December 2008, 08:12 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Should have just run a 747 through the middle of them then watch them scatter
Cheers
Colin
Old 08 December 2008, 08:41 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

So they managed to bypass the security measures that are in place to prevent a terrorist outrage, and they won't let you take a bottle of mineral water through security I know, instead of trying to sneak a bomb onto a plane, just join a group of eco warriors, and once your through the fence, RPG a couple of Jumbo's

Quick Reply: Stansteads Envirofreaks!