Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

IBS

Old 06 December 2008, 11:15 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default IBS

Was confirmed to me last week that i have IBS.

Anyone else on here suffer from it?
How do you find is the best way to control with it?

From what i've been told i have to eat small meals, and nothing late at night. Also need to cut out certain foods, but haven't told me yet exactly what i need to cut out.
Old 07 December 2008, 12:06 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

my mum has suffered with it for years mate, it all comes down to a healthy diet iirc. I will see what information she has on the subject and fwd it to you if you would like?

j
Old 07 December 2008, 12:19 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GP will probabbly start you on something like Mebeverine or or Buscopan to help the spasms
Old 07 December 2008, 08:57 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe anything like say peanuts or anything with lactose, also anything high in fibre, also take lots of probiotics, you will usually suss over time what your trigger food is.
Old 07 December 2008, 11:01 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Yep, i get it from time to time.

"Touch wood" i haven't had it in a few months.

My regular drink used to be a JD and coke....no any more.

I find as long as you eat/drink anything you want IN MODERATION, you will be fine and also eat more during the day, but less of it...that also helps.

I have breakfast as usual in the morning, at circa 11am i have a salad and meat roll, circa 2 pm and salad/meat roll and then a proper meal at about 6pm.

Spices are a big no-no, but it's still possible as long as you stick to what i've said....in moderation. You can still enjoy all your used to...i do.
Old 07 December 2008, 11:39 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had it since I was 16 .. makes my life an absolute misery ..

Hope you have a milder case mate
Old 07 December 2008, 12:22 PM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have a look here: Reversing IBS In 3-9 Months, Healing an Abnormal Health Problem

It will clear up some false info that goes around, also some helpful hints.

I have suffered from it for about 18 months. My trigger food was pasta, fizzy drinks, chicken and certain cheese's.

Last edited by slipstream_uk; 07 December 2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07 December 2008, 12:23 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

i started with ibs,this matured into chrons disease which is even worse,most people in my experience have a trigger food which makes your guts bad,mine and many others is dairy products,i used to drink about 4 pints of milk a day(love the stuff) but that was what was setting me off.it takes a lot of time to find out what is setting you off and can be a combination of things dietry and stress,in my case i got much worse before i got better.
try cutting out groups of food for periods of time and see if this benefits you,problably start with the usual subjects of booze and late night ****e,its trial and error in affraid in combination with the correct medicine,mine is mesalazine,6 a day.
keep your chin up a positive out look always helps.

james
Old 07 December 2008, 12:45 PM
Daz And Minty
Scooby Regular

Ive got it as well and i work outdoors i get my good days and bad days dairy was the worst for me so i drink soya now. Also ive cut out pastry products pasties and all that
Old 07 December 2008, 01:25 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

wait till you get on TPN, thats the worst of the lot, my mother in law is on it
Old 07 December 2008, 01:29 PM
Daz And Minty
Scooby Regular

Oh and just few weeks ago i had shingles as well damn they hurt like mad
Old 07 December 2008, 01:33 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Cheers folks.

I have been put onto a non-fibre diet for the next 4 weeks, to see what happens.

Have cut out all fizzy drinks, and been told tea/coffee is possibly a no-no.
May be down to diary products. Had a milkshake a few weeks ago, and felt rough for 3-4 days afterwards.

I know what you mean about the spicy food. Had some spicy meatballs 2 weeks ago.... won't be doing that again in a hurry!!!
Old 07 December 2008, 01:48 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Mil is on this

Total parenteral nutrition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

fot 5 nights a week for 12 hours.
Old 07 December 2008, 04:27 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Real coffee, alcohol, fibre and lack of sleep used to set me off - which was (literally) a pain on the *** as that pretty much described my lifestyle then...

Mebeverine hydrochloride as mentioned above (can't remember the street name but its something like Coloform?) was the only thing that worked for me, but the docs generally can't say what it is that causes it - it varies from person to person, but is often caused by non specific gut bugs. I got it after lots of foreign travel - e.g. side of the road barbecues in Chad for instance

Eventually the docs became concerned about ruling anything else out as I had pretty severe pain for 2-3 years so they decided to do the old camera up the backside routine. In order for this to work you've got to be shiny as a new pin inside so they gave me this industrial strength laxative and gave me strict warnings not to take it unless I had unimpeded access to a loo at all times. Being a bloke, I , of course, ignored this and took it just before leaving work for my 40 min journey home on the train...

My other half came home some time later to find the front door wide open, various bits of my clothes and shoes strewn all down the hall into the back of the house where my nearest loo was, and me in the bog clinging shrieking to the ceiling... They certainly work I thought of using them in the scooby instead of NF Race...

Anyway, the moral of all this was, once Krakatoa had finally subsided and I pulled myself back together, that I noticed for the first time in years that all the cramps and bloating had just disappeared.
When I saw the doc next day, apart from probably being able to see his face inside my colon, he said that it was quite common for that to happen as often there's some sort of bug hanging about that get's nuked by the bum - Vim. He also said that the victorians sometimes had the right idea with fasts and laxatives/enema type stuff as it can sometimes get rid of any of these bugs.

Never had a problem since apart from the odd one or two day flare up which could just be a dodgy curry or whatever.

Hope it gets sorted

FB
Old 17 March 2012, 10:17 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Bumping an old thread! Any of the guys with it still having troubles? Seems I may have this now

Been at the hospital and doctors in the last week and now have a course of buscopan to try.
Old 17 March 2012, 10:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Bad luck mate, I feel for you.

Yes, I had it, mostly down to nerves and depression.

But the good news is that it CAN be controlled.

Lots of info on Google about diet etc.

Don't reject homopathic remedies too soon.
I have suffered from depression from years, but I'm now on light therapy and a huge dose of Omega 3, plus Evening Primrose and Vitamin C, and believe me, I feel much better.
Old 17 March 2012, 10:36 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Cheers alcazar! Loads of research and reading ahead! Had been ok for a couple of days then had a gregs the bakers at lunch time at work and by tea time my stomach felt like it was having party inside me!
Old 17 March 2012, 11:09 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Have a good diet - avoid crap white bread and all yeasty bread and too much Lager. Wraps are good and sour dough or soda bread and lots of exercise will help. If you get bunged up Psyllium is a natural husky stuff from health food shops which forms a gel when you stir heaped teaspoon into a glass of water. Too much might make you feel bloated, but when it has worked through your system will help relieve blockages as it were! It isn't a laxative and can be very effective. Acidophilus (Lactobacillus acidophilus) tabs from health food shop can be soothing to gut but also quite pricey. Peppermint Tea is good and I find a half teaspoon of Cayenne pepper dissolved in a glass of water a couple of times a day is good for gut and is also beneficial for the heart which is a bonus! I absolutely hate dinner parties where I know I am going to have to eat stuff I don't want at a time I won't want it and will generally bloat up and feel miserable.
Old 17 March 2012, 11:16 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Bad luck mate, I feel for you.

Yes, I had it, mostly down to nerves and depression.

But the good news is that it CAN be controlled.

Lots of info on Google about diet etc.

Don't reject homopathic remedies too soon.
I have suffered from depression from years, but I'm now on light therapy and a huge dose of Omega 3, plus Evening Primrose and Vitamin C, and believe me, I feel much better.

You looked better yesterday mate.
Old 18 March 2012, 01:12 AM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

I've had it on and off for years, at one point it got to suspected bowel cancer.
Always said it was ibs and not an intolerance, went on an exclusion diet and Atkins and have since sussed out its wheat or yeast but I'm controlling it now. Got so bad before I worked it out that it was ruining going out
Old 19 July 2012, 12:54 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Bump.

Iv probably had it for the past 10 years but got worse last year, when it was diagnosed.(I have diaorea rather than the usual constipation) Have a flare at least once a month which can last for a few days if not so bad, otherwise a few weeks. Also became Lactose intolerant and have almost cut out: spices, fizzy drinks, beer, fatty food, eating small meals and am now trying to follow the NO FODMAP diet. This is basically no fermentible carbs i.e. no: raw onions, cabbage, cauliflower, beans, chick peas, etc. Having more tests in a couple of weeks to rule out other problems such as Crohns, IBD, Celiac.

Have Berrocca vitamins; Flax seed oil, aloe vera oil, 1x banana every morning, followed by lots of water. Then smaller controlled meals and if it flares up bad then have to use the prescribed Mebeverine to clam it down. Tried the new fangled Symprove but I think it is more for IBS people who suffer from constipation rather than diorea.

Last edited by rickya; 19 July 2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 19 July 2012, 01:04 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

If you have any problems like this then get a proper examination (i.e. a colonoscopy), the GP fobbed my Dad off with the IBS diagnosis for a fair few months before he finally managed to get them to refer him. Turns out it was bowel cancer and he is no longer with us
Old 19 July 2012, 01:15 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Il probably be having that in a couple of weeks not looking forward to it though.
Old 19 July 2012, 01:27 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Just for your info, you can buy a bowel cancer test kit for about £10
Old 19 July 2012, 01:36 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Coffin Dodger, sorry to hear about your Dad. How old was he?

I aim to follow advice from NICE which expressly contradicts your suggestion that all should have a colonoscopy.

All people presenting with possible IBS symptoms should be asked if they
have any of the following ‘red flag’ indicators and should be referred to
secondary care for further investigation if any are present:
unintentional and unexplained weight loss
rectal bleeding
a family history of bowel or ovarian cancer
a change in bowel habit to looser and/or more frequent stools persisting
for more than 6 weeks in a person aged over 60 years.

All people presenting with possible IBS symptoms should be assessed and
clinically examined for the following ‘red flag’ indicators and should be
referred to secondary care for further investigation if any are present:
anaemia
abdominal masses
rectal masses
inflammatory markers for inflammatory bowel disease.
If there is significant concern that symptoms may suggest ovarian cancer, a
pelvic examination should also be considered.
Old 20 July 2012, 12:19 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I have had this for 24 years and makes me feel like i am going to vomit gives me diarrhea and i get bloating. it is caused by diet and stress and when i am stressed it flares up, the only thing i have found is that as i learn to avoid stress the threshold where it flares up gets lower and lower. I find bread and potatoes can cause bloating.

I have had the camera inside twice and would say it is uncomfortable and make sure you have emptied your self before as you have the urge to do it then and you dont want to do that in the doctors camera!! but it isn't pain full and dont worry about it. a shower afterwards when you get home and your feel fine

different people have different trigger foods but once you know what they are you can lead a pretty normal life after a year you will find that it isn't much more of a change to life style but then again i have a nut allergy so i already read all food labels