Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DUCK! - Well, how to cook.

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2008, 07:02 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DUCK! - Well, how to cook.

Bought a duck from Tesco - on offer end never cooked on before but love crispy aromatic duck, etc.

I am after a simple recipe for roast duck for Sunday dinner so what do you recon then?

Also what sort of sauce, i know duck works with qrange, soy, fruit, citrus sauces, any reccommendations to acompany Donald?
Old 11 October 2008, 07:15 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

The one with thyme and pumpkin sounds nice. I've done the Jamie one with rhubarb in the past. Delia has some recipes on her website (see the pastry thread for link)

Recipe Search - Waitrose.com
Old 11 October 2008, 07:26 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Right. It all depends on your taste. If you arn't that good in the kitchen keep it simple.

Best way to cook it is on a roast rack, so it doesn't sit in its fat. Use a sharp prong and puncture the skin evenly all over. Rub Flaked sea salt and black pepper in the skin then melt some marmalade in the microwave and dribble over it gently. For stuffing grate a cooking apple and a small potato mix with black pepper and more marmalade and stuff cavity until full (make sure it is not runny). Cook at about 200 C for the time reccomended for the weight.

For the Gravy, take 2 cans of Strongbow cider or equivalent, add mixed herbs, black pepper, 2 bay leaves and place in a lidded bowl in the bottom of the oven for the same time as the Duck. If you are lucky enough to have the giblets place them in as well. Remove the bowl at the same time as the duck (which has to stand for 20 mins) tip gravy mix through sieve into a saucepan and add thickening, barley if you like it clear, bisto if you like it brown!!!, and simmer until desired thickness.

If you want a recipe for perfect roasties let me know, as its a crime to waste the duck fat!!!.
Old 11 October 2008, 07:49 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SVXNUT
Right. It all depends on your taste. If you arn't that good in the kitchen keep it simple.

Best way to cook it is on a roast rack, so it doesn't sit in its fat. Use a sharp prong and puncture the skin evenly all over. Rub Flaked sea salt and black pepper in the skin then melt some marmalade in the microwave and dribble over it gently. For stuffing grate a cooking apple and a small potato mix with black pepper and more marmalade and stuff cavity until full (make sure it is not runny). Cook at about 200 C for the time reccomended for the weight.

For the Gravy, take 2 cans of Strongbow cider or equivalent, add mixed herbs, black pepper, 2 bay leaves and place in a lidded bowl in the bottom of the oven for the same time as the Duck. If you are lucky enough to have the giblets place them in as well. Remove the bowl at the same time as the duck (which has to stand for 20 mins) tip gravy mix through sieve into a saucepan and add thickening, barley if you like it clear, bisto if you like it brown!!!, and simmer until desired thickness.

If you want a recipe for perfect roasties let me know, as its a crime to waste the duck fat!!!.

Cheers to the both of you, this one looks like me!
Roastie recpie required to compare with myown
Old 11 October 2008, 08:55 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Perfect roasties coming up then!!!!.

Take your potatoes and cut into quarters or halves depending on size.
Take your carrots quarter them into strips, not chunks. Do the same with your parsnips.

1hr before duck is ready (including stand time) remove from the oven and tip the fat out of the roast rack into a small saucepan. Replace duck into the oven, but turn up the temp to about 230c.
Add herbs and black pepper to the fat and turn heat up until it is smoking hot.
Stand back and drop the veg in, chunk at a time. Carrots and parsnips need about 2 mins. Spuds about 5.
Pull them out and place on a cooling rack over a baking tray and place in the top of the oven for 45 mins turning them over about half time.

This will create the classic fluffy insides and crispy outsides, without the veg ending up to fatty, but still retaining all the taste.

The duck fat can then be tipped into the empty marmalade jar and allowed to cool. Can be stored in the fridge for upto 2 weeks if you want roasties again without the duck!!!.
Old 11 October 2008, 09:01 PM
yoza
BANNED

SVXNut do you fancy a trip over to Liverpool to cook for us.

I am limited to a nice beans on toast, or if Im showing off beans and sausage on toast.
Old 11 October 2008, 09:04 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

I do have a habit of cooking for friends!!!. I am afraid though that the SVX is sorn at the moment, as I can't afford to renew the insurance (its only £300), due to my transport buisness being about to go **** up if I can't find any new customers.
Old 11 October 2008, 09:24 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cooked the beast with mango the other week ...

Only we couldnt find a ripe one ,of course - so we used canned

not far off a d**king distaster

- not really sure an off the peg supermarkey example is ever going to be all that
Old 12 October 2008, 01:08 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks all

SVX Nut - will be starting prepping in a mo, just as you have advised
Old 12 October 2008, 01:25 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Have you moved to another part of the world, Paul. You appear to be an hour ahead of me

Well, Scoobynet is
Old 12 October 2008, 03:52 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

I had noticed as well. Paul let us know how you got on. Just starting to prep our roast pork with cranberry and apple seasoning!!!.
Old 15 October 2008, 07:44 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Oy Paul, you never let us know if you liked the result of my recipe! !!!!!!!.
Old 15 October 2008, 08:55 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Lol, probably in hospital with salmonella..

Seriously, with the good advice you gave him he's probably standing in Tesco's waiting for another one to be reduced..

Another good idea is after pricking the skin, put duck on rack in sink and pour over a kettle full of boiling water over. Pat dry then rub with oil and five spice powder, as the Chinese do for their Cantonese crispy duck .

I also like to start it off in the hottest your oven will go for 10-15 mins before turning down to about 180c for 2-3 hours, basting every 30 mins.

You can also put about 2cm of water in the oven tray underneath to prevent the duck drying out and excess smoke (messy oven ), in this instance omit the basting.

This also works very well for roast pork and crackling, especially if you use a piece of pork belly..
Old 15 October 2008, 09:18 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SVXNUT
Oy Paul, you never let us know if you liked the result of my recipe! !!!!!!!.
Hi there, yup i loved it, the kids where not so fussed, "worst Sunday dinner ever!" from my 5 y/o, so duck is not a favorite.

Jenny is a veggie, i am in the duck luvving minority so back to chicken or beef for me and the kids