Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear!

Old 15 July 2008, 12:25 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear!

Thats what people say about the detention without trial, the ID cards, the DNA data base etc etc, but I read that Walsall council (just one for an example) have used legislation intended for terrorists over 900 times to snoop on staff and the general public for amongst other things, fly tipping, parking issues, an employee with a back problem (because he went swimming), benefit fraud, trading standard issues etc etc......

I dont know where this is going, even the Government has asked local authorities to be careful about when the use their new powers. Apprarently most of the issues investigated were innocent.
Old 15 July 2008, 12:42 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

We're a nation of data gatherers, the desire for information has become to great for us to contain.... data capture is used for everything from supermarkets (loyalty cards) gathering details on what you buy and when to councils wanting to know what you throw away!

We're getting close to a point where all this information 'joins up' from your pay through to your spend and disposal...... once that happens it'll become a true nanny state
Old 15 July 2008, 01:17 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
Thats what people say about the detention without trial, the ID cards, the DNA data base etc etc, but I read that Walsall council (just one for an example) have used legislation intended for terrorists over 900 times to snoop on staff and the general public for amongst other things, fly tipping, parking issues, an employee with a back problem (because he went swimming), benefit fraud, trading standard issues etc etc......

I dont know where this is going, even the Government has asked local authorities to be careful about when the use their new powers. Apprarently most of the issues investigated were innocent.
There have been a lot of instances of misuse of this legislation. This includes quite a few matters of national security such as not having your wheelie bin lid fully closed

The classic case was that old boy who was hauled out of the labour party conference by a bunch of security men, sorry thugs, for daring to heckle. That was done under terrorism laws. True democracy in action...........

Makes you spit. dl
Old 15 July 2008, 02:55 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
We're a nation of data gatherers, the desire for information has become to great for us to contain.... data capture is used for everything from supermarkets (loyalty cards) gathering details on what you buy and when to councils wanting to know what you throw away!

We're getting close to a point where all this information 'joins up' from your pay through to your spend and disposal...... once that happens it'll become a true nanny state
Thats why i take cash out the machine and spend that, they spying little tw@s cant track what i spend my money on then!
Old 15 July 2008, 02:57 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
Thats why i take cash out the machine and spend that, they spying little tw@s cant track what i spend my money on then!
No, but they know what area you were in to withdraw the money
Old 15 July 2008, 03:02 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
No, but they know what area you were in to withdraw the money
And in addition I can I track you via the CCTV cameras for the rest of the day once I capture a good picture of your face and tell the survelliance software to go to work ...

Steve
Old 15 July 2008, 04:08 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by boxst
And in addition I can I track you via the CCTV cameras for the rest of the day once I capture a good picture of your face and tell the survelliance software to go to work ...

Steve
Something that is utterly bemused by the hi-tech method of..... wearing a hat.

Or sunglasses

Or waiting until its cloudy

Or in fact just looking down.

Great things these CCTV systems....

Good article about this available at: Bruce Schneier Cryptogram

Last edited by Chris L; 15 July 2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 15 July 2008, 09:35 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Look on the bright side given the track record of Governments and big IT projects, the chances that all the data on an individual will find its way into one database is just north of zero.
Old 15 July 2008, 10:03 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Communications Data Bill

Be very afraid......
Old 16 July 2008, 02:50 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
Look on the bright side given the track record of Governments and big IT projects, the chances that all the data on an individual will find its way into one database is just north of zero.
Actually I don't know.. I think they will build it...only it'll have more data than is needed for purpose, leak like a sieve, be open to anyone who fills in the appropriate forms, and will become a one stop shop for identity thieves and other fraudsters.

The only problem then is the problems you'll face trying to prove you DIDN'T actually do something... when the computer says you DID.... and the computer is NEVER wrong!!

All scares the **** out of me tbh!
Old 16 July 2008, 12:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They have been laying the groundwork for complete knowledge about everything we do and own or where we go ever since they got into power.

As has been mentioned there are enough instances of misuse of this power and I personally would not be prepared to trust any government with this kind of power.

I would say that it will go a lot further than just a nanny state.

Les
Old 16 July 2008, 12:13 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Scares me too, too much big brother in the UK.
Old 16 July 2008, 01:13 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Something that is utterly bemused by the hi-tech method of..... wearing a hat.

Or sunglasses

Or waiting until its cloudy

Or in fact just looking down.

Great things these CCTV systems....

Good article about this available at: Bruce Schneier Cryptogram
Yes, I agree. Although you'd be surprised at the number of people who just 'forget' that there are CCTV cameras almost everywhere and don't take the precaution of doing something as complicated as wearing a hat... or more specifically different hats at different times / places.

Steve
Old 16 July 2008, 01:31 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by r32
Apprarently most of the issues investigated were innocent.
Well, if it helps catch even one benefit thief, I'm all for full monitoring 24/7. Losing all my privacy is, in my humble opinion, a small price to pay for this.

I think we should take the surveillance a step further and introduce CCTV cameras into peoples homes. That way, we can make sure that the riff-raff of this country do not do anything the government doesn't approve of.

I, for one, salute our new civil servant CCTV monitoring overlords.
Old 16 July 2008, 01:32 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by boxst
Yes, I agree. Although you'd be surprised at the number of people who just 'forget' that there are CCTV cameras almost everywhere and don't take the precaution of doing something as complicated as wearing a hat... or more specifically different hats at different times / places.

Steve
We should ban the use of sunglasses and hats too, they are not compatible with the governments surveillance targets.
Old 16 July 2008, 02:30 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32

this makes my pi55 boil.

the phrase "if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear" is the metaphor that underpins orwell's '1984'. it's a satirical warning about totalitarianism, not a policy soundbite.

that it is regularly trotted out by government, ACPO and other intellectually lazy, incompetent parts of the public sector as a serious justification for an intrusive state just goes to show how stupid, intrinsically authoritarian, anti-libertarian and anti-democratic they are.

the real meaning of course is "if you hide from us, then you should fear us". government no longer serves the people - in an age when technology is the enabler, its intention is for the people to serve government.

if you believe in personal freedom then ask your MP and the local councillor (for your electoral ward) if he or she agrees with the "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" argument for ID cards and increased state surveillance. it's the cost of two letters and two stamps. if they say "yes", withdraw your vote and tell them why.
Old 16 July 2008, 02:51 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
They have been laying the groundwork for complete knowledge about everything we do and own or where we go ever since they got into power.

As has been mentioned there are enough instances of misuse of this power and I personally would not be prepared to trust any government with this kind of power.

I would say that it will go a lot further than just a nanny state.

Les
Who are 'they'?
Are you talking about 'those' who commissioned the first census?
Bloody Herod and his gang of cronies
Old 16 July 2008, 08:24 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

We've had enquiries at work for a very large PKI scheme that would involve the potential management of 100s of millions of digital certificates. There is only one current IT project that big - ID cards. Although this hasn't been confirmed, it's a pretty certain bet that this is what it is. So 'they' are going ahead with the scheme....
Old 17 July 2008, 12:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
Well, if it helps catch even one benefit thief, I'm all for full monitoring 24/7. Losing all my privacy is, in my humble opinion, a small price to pay for this.

I think we should take the surveillance a step further and introduce CCTV cameras into peoples homes. That way, we can make sure that the riff-raff of this country do not do anything the government doesn't approve of.

I, for one, salute our new civil servant CCTV monitoring overlords.
Its a good read that book-if a bit frightening, isn't it?

Les
Old 17 July 2008, 12:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coolangatta
Who are 'they'?
Are you talking about 'those' who commissioned the first census?
Bloody Herod and his gang of cronies
You might be closer to the mark than we all think!

Les