Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

P.A's

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2008, 07:36 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P.A's

I want to know what peoples experience and perceptions are of what Personal Assistants do and earn?

A friend of a friend is one of these creatures and she claims to spend all her time in board meetings (the employer is massive in the leisure sector). She claims to have input into strategy and when she isnt strategising, she is "on the chairmans arm" schmooosing VIPs at flash swanky hotel and restaurant openings etc...

I just thought all they did was write shorthand, fax, photocopy, make tea and coffee, show a bit of skirt and say "Sralan will see you now".... Oh and maintain a diary and screen phone calls...

So come on, what's it all abooot?
Old 21 June 2008, 12:01 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
I just thought all they did was write shorthand, fax, photocopy, make tea and coffee, show a bit of skirt and say "Sralan will see you now".... Oh and maintain a diary and screen phone calls...
?
This is and always be part of their role, but to think that this is all they do - esp those who work for senior people - is very incorrect. Its actually a big mistake to treat these people like simple assistants.

I deal with C"X"O level people every day as part of my job (i.e. Chief Operating / Information / Marketing etc Officers) and they all have PA's (often not called that, their official titles are usually a bit more grand than that!)

Many that I know do attend board meetings and will be asked for input into strategy - wont go as far to say they are advisors but their opinion is often sought. They also tend to know more about whats happening in a company than their bosses do.

For my role, if I do not build a great relationship with a PA then my chances of getting to the boss is greatly hindered - as part of their job is to "protect" and block the boss from people like me trying to getting to them!

I know of several PA's, working for senior people in large companies, who earn well well over £50k a year, not a salary for someone who answers the phone and makes coffee !

Not saying all are like this of course, but good PA's are worth their weight in gold.
Old 21 June 2008, 01:14 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I have my own PA at home and she does everything I don't or won't. Things like liaising with the chef at meal times, the butler on clothing choice, the garage guys on what car I'm taking out or maybe the hanger guys if I choose the chopper.

Invaluable asset if you ask me.
Old 22 June 2008, 12:05 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Nice one Ro, that's in keeping with her desciptions of duties... Staggering to think they would get involved at board level meetings, but still, if that's what happens then fair play...
She might earn more than me then I need to stop being a Business Analyst and start being a part time petrol delivery driver and part time PA It's where the money's at